PDA

View Full Version : Future of the A Championship

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

legendz
04/04/2011, 9:17 PM
It's as bad as the decision to stop Ireland being part of the next cricket world cup. Have the clubs done enough though? If teams in the A Championship wanted a league with reserve team, I'm sure they could open discussions with the FAI and other clubs to make it happen.
It'll be back to supporting the Kerry League once a year in the League Cup. After that there's always hurling and football I guess. I'll take in the odd Limerick game being in the city but it's only a passing interest. Being the nearest club to Kerry doesn't count for much to be honest.

gufcfan
05/04/2011, 8:01 PM
Bit about Castlebar Celtic and their return to the Mayo league from the Connacht Telegraph.

Link (http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/soccer/2633-celtic-sights-set-on-league-title)

legendz
01/06/2011, 5:33 PM
I still can't see why their can't be a reserve league with a mix of some first team clubs next season. Surely despite the costs, some clubs will want to field a reserve team and have a team where they can keep the player just going over age interest. Even if there was only 4 reserve teams and 4 first teams, they could all make the best of it and play over 3 series at least. A first team would have to finish in the top third to qualify for a promotion play-off. The worst thing about a closed system is that if a club from an area start thinking of the next level, if an open league third tier is there, it's the best way for teams to test the water.

Dodge
01/06/2011, 5:43 PM
You're presuming there's 4 clubs who are willing to fund reserve sides. Clubs cutting costs everywhere, regardless of long term effect

legendz
01/06/2011, 8:43 PM
You're presuming there's 4 clubs who are willing to fund reserve sides. Clubs cutting costs everywhere, regardless of long term effect

True, it is a presumption. Some clubs still look to do the right thing with all that in mind. Finn Harps and Limerick already take part in the A Championship despite there being no obligation to do so. Shel's have until this season. I'm not sure why they haven't this year? It could be costs or could be the fact it's looking like the last year it's being run.
I'd like to think the FAI would at least consult the club's before bringing it to an end. They seemed to have the right idea creating the Championship but probably have not implemented it well.

colinf
01/06/2011, 9:05 PM
sligo rovers have a squad of around 25 at the moment, and i think there is only 1 or 2 of those who are eligable for the u19 league, i cant see the benifit of having no A team at all. what will first team players do who need a game here and there and have no reserve side to get that with? theres about 25 players who'll just have to go back to junior football, alot of them still only being 19 but still over age, these are lads who with some more progression could some day make the step up, but with the age restriction they'll just be let go and thats that. i think its unfair to lads like that who are just missing out on the age limit. theres people like me being 21, 22, i'll never make it but still some lads my age would be very good players,who'll also miss out. theres bound to be premier clubs who'd still enter a team in a reserve league. the likes of ourselves, shamrock rovers, UCD, Dundalk, Bohemians and Bray all have good A sides, and alot of work going into them aswell at the moment.

is this matter closed for definate or is there a possibility of having a reserve league?

Dodge
02/06/2011, 12:10 AM
For the record, from what I've heard the decision to kill the A league is most definitely a club driven idea. Maybe not all clubs but, apparently, most of them

legendz
02/06/2011, 7:05 PM
Pat's are one of the driving forces anyways. I know Pat's have voiced their disapproval of the A Championship a few times, which is fair though I have to say. The FAI should just remove the stipulation that Premier clubs have to enter an A side. I never agreed with it. Clubs should have a youth structure but reserve teams should be optional.
The top flight of the English league, for all it's support and money, doesn't force every club to field a reserve team. 3 clubs opted out this season. The fixture schedule and structure was tweaked so clubs would get a decent number of games. The same could happen with the A Championship depending on the number of clubs entering every year.

A reserve league doesn't need a perfect structure/format. As they have a low profile, they are not examined closely. The Premier and First Division need a fixed structure and number of teams if they are to have respect and intergrity. With an open ended A Championship, first teams can test the water and leave if it's not for them. Formula One used to have these teams that would come and go. The A Championship should be something like that while also having reserve teams. Sporting Fingal made the news and was bad press. Castlebar and Tullamore being in the unassuming A Championship barely got a mention on their exit to Junior football.

The A Championship would need, pushing it now from 8 mentioned previously, at least 6:
6 teams: 4 series of 5 games ... 20 game season.
7 teams: 4 series of 6 games ... 24 game season.
8 teams:: at least 3 series of 7 games ... 21 games.
... etc.

It should be allowed sink or swim. Tweak it based on the number of clubs, if the clubs aren't there for it to work, then is the time to end it.

culloty82
27/06/2011, 7:25 PM
Official confirmation that the A Championship is dead - the FAI inviting all interested non-League clubs to apply for the 2012 First Division. Going by this season's results, the teams hardly look ready, but clubs need far more than 14 games per season, and the length of the close season doesn't give teams much opportunity to make progress, unlike in the "League proper".

legendz
28/06/2011, 12:41 PM
It's sad it's going this way. The A Championship had long-term potential in attracting new clubs. Current clubs have to accept some responsibility. They could always meet up on plans to progress at a third tier level and discuss it with the FAI. If they are not getting their point across, they will no be heard.