PDA

View Full Version : Future of the A Championship

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

JM2010
15/01/2011, 4:18 PM
Have Tullamore applied for the A Championship again?

culloty82
15/01/2011, 7:05 PM
Once a team is approved once, they automatically continue unless they decide to withdraw.

Sam_Heggy
15/01/2011, 9:08 PM
Harps will be entering the A League season again this season.

legendz
15/01/2011, 10:53 PM
Harps will be entering the A League season again this season.

Fair play to Harps. If the FAI grant the wishes of clubs not happy about having to field A sides, there surely still is a place for a reserve league, being optional. If there is, that's where the A Championship can still fit in in some capacity.
I hope Shel's and Limerick continue to field a side. Bit disappointed with Waterford and Cork that they don't do the same as Limerick.

stann
17/01/2011, 1:25 PM
We intend to field an A side this year, AFAIK.
No details on it as yet though, hopefully will know more after Friday.

colinf
17/01/2011, 3:05 PM
anyone know the cut off date for player registration for this? is it the 1st of february?

D.24saint
19/01/2011, 9:25 PM
IMO the under-19 league should go in favour of age restrictions in the A championship most clubs cant afford to run their first teams at the moment.

legendz
19/01/2011, 9:52 PM
IMO the youth league should be an U17 league with three U18 outfield players allowed. The A Championship should remain with reserve sides having some age restriction encouraging fielding a certain number of U20 players while first-teams should have a bit more lee-way e.g. Shamrock Rovers A having to field at least 6 U20's but FC Carlow's restriction be at least 3 U20's.

harps1954
20/01/2011, 1:04 PM
I didn't read through all the posts, but I've just heard that this will be the last season of the 'A' Championship. Sorry if it has already been posted elsewhere.

legendz
20/01/2011, 5:04 PM
It's been posted here but there has been no official word. Just as there has been no official word on any restructuring of the league.

Mr A
20/01/2011, 5:52 PM
I think this is pretty official, it came from the FAI.

Ash
21/01/2011, 12:38 PM
Yep I was told the same

Sam_Heggy
21/01/2011, 6:10 PM
Last season of the A Championship and no cup. Season starts in April. Top placed team in each group play off in the Final.

cornflakes
21/01/2011, 7:25 PM
What happens to Cobh, Carlow and the other First teams after this season?
Will they be invited to the First Division?

culloty82
21/01/2011, 8:01 PM
I'd expect so - you can't throw teams back into the KDL and LSL after 3-4 years of national soccer, so enlarging the First Division seems the fairest solution.

Sam_Heggy
21/01/2011, 8:30 PM

I suppose that will have to be announced by the FAI before the LOI season starts in a few weeks.

prince20
21/01/2011, 8:43 PM
I suppose that will have to be announced by the FAI before the LOI season starts in a few weeks.

I suppose you are right Sam but i dont suppose it will happen :)

colinf
22/01/2011, 1:47 AM
do players have to be signed for this by the 1st of february?? (players who are playing junior football since the end of last season until the new season)

legendz
22/01/2011, 11:04 AM
They should be invited to the First Division. Though only a few joined, they all joined with a view to being part of the LoI and developing the game in their areas.
With the LoI becoming a closed league, I'm not going to suggest a complete pyramid structure but between the intermediate and junior leagues there should be some pyramid structure.

forza rovers
23/01/2011, 12:34 PM
off topic i know. but where would be the best place to find out about sporting fingals and brays squad for the a championship last season as both of their web sites have very little on it.

Sam_Heggy
23/01/2011, 8:25 PM
Last season of the A Championship and no cup. Season starts in April. Top placed team in each group play off in the Final.

My Bad, top 2 in each group play off in semi final. Top team in group has home advantage.

Interesting point that the groups will not be set out until Prem and 1st Div licences are handed out.

Also, the competition format will be changed this year. Wonder what that means?

culloty82
27/01/2011, 10:07 AM
Kerry's Eye pretty much confirms Sam's story - last year of A Championship, the five teams to be invited to join First Division. Dynamos can't comment as no official information from the FAI, but will accept offer if that's what eventually transpires.

stann
27/01/2011, 11:17 AM
I've not heard much on this bar that it is the last year of the 'A', but I can't see how that will automatically mean we revert to a closed league.
I would assume - and it is only an assumption, but based on hearing the word 'restructuring' bandied about, rather than 'abolition' - that the A-league will be replaced by some form of reserve division, that the non-league clubs currently in it will be invited to step up to Div 1 if they wish, or if not to continue in the reserve division, and that that division will be the entry point for any new clubs in the future.

legendz
27/01/2011, 8:06 PM
I've not heard much on this bar that it is the last year of the 'A', but I can't see how that will automatically mean we revert to a closed league.
I would assume - and it is only an assumption, but based on hearing the word 'restructuring' bandied about, rather than 'abolition' - that the A-league will be replaced by some form of reserve division, that the non-league clubs currently in it will be invited to step up to Div 1 if they wish, or if not to continue in the reserve division, and that that division will be the entry point for any new clubs in the future.

If there is a reserve Division, why not continue the A Championship but restructure it as such?
If all 5 teams have been invited to join the First Division, it suggest the First Divison is open ended and that there's no cap on the number of clubs can join? If it is, it'll be a very messy format. The A Championship itself can be kept open ended for all new clubs but if it's the way they want to go, it's the way it'll be.

colinf
10/02/2011, 8:56 PM
any sign of a fixture list for this? or even the groups lists?

Sam_Heggy
12/02/2011, 3:01 PM
any sign of a fixture list for this? or even the groups lists?

Nothing until licences are granted tomorrow/Monday. Then id give it a week or so.

legendz
12/02/2011, 3:34 PM
Heggy, do you have any idea what is likely to happen to the A Championship clubs after this season? Also, will a reserve league be formed for side looking to field a reserve team?

Sam_Heggy
13/02/2011, 9:21 AM
Looking like a reserve league alright and the current A League clubs will be invited to play in it if they want.

In saying that, it could all change again during the course of the year.

legendz
13/02/2011, 8:34 PM
Looking like a reserve league alright and the current A League clubs will be invited to play in it if they want.

In saying that, it could all change again during the course of the year.

:D Are you serious Sam? The A Championship is to end, a reserve league will be created and the current A League clubs will be invited?! Isn't that more or less what the A Championship is and why won't they keep it as such?

I know towards the end of last season some Premier clubs wanted the A Championship ended. Surely removing the stipulation Premier clubs have to field an A side will appease them?

culloty82
13/02/2011, 8:44 PM
Indeed, it all just looks like a pointless rebranding for no apparent reason.

geezer
14/02/2011, 3:24 PM
that A Championship...crash course required urgently...i havent worked one minute on this St Valentines day massacre, over something i have supporterd for 35years

Sam_Heggy
14/02/2011, 3:29 PM
:D Are you serious Sam? The A Championship is to end, a reserve league will be created and the current A League clubs will be invited?! Isn't that more or less what the A Championship is and why won't they keep it as such?

I know towards the end of last season some Premier clubs wanted the A Championship ended. Surely removing the stipulation Premier clubs have to field an A side will appease them?

Nope Im pulling your leg man, really.

Sam_Heggy
14/02/2011, 3:37 PM
So Fanad are in the A League now, luckily a handy away trip for our reserves. Also, Mons and Drogs will leave it another 2 relatively handy trips.

Northern section of: Harps, Fanad, Derry, Sligo, Mons, Drogs, Dundalk, Shels, Bohs,

Southern: Limerick (?), Tralee, Carlow, Cobh, UCD, Rovers, Pats, Bray, Galway (?)

Is that too logical of a separation?

Sam_Heggy
14/02/2011, 3:39 PM
that A Championship...crash course required urgently...i havent worked one minute on this St Valentines day massacre, over something i have supporterd for 35years

Crash course - see ye in April with about 10 people in attendance.

By the way, is there still good prizemoney for winning the A League? It used to be around €20k.

Dodge
14/02/2011, 3:41 PM
So Fanad are in the A League now, luckily a handy away trip for our reserves. Also, Mons and Drogs will leave it another 2 relatively handy trips.

Northern section of: Harps, Fanad, Derry, Sligo, Mons, Drogs, Dundalk, Shels, Bohs,

Southern: Limerick (?), Tralee, Carlow, Cobh, UCD, Rovers, Pats, Bray, Galway (?)

Is that too logical of a separation?

I'd have assumed they'd try to keep Galway close to Sligo etc. Wasn't Mervue/Salthill in the Northen section? Swap one of the Dub teams.

You'd have to think there was definitely some sort of plan for the league as Fanad wouldn't join for just 6 months would they?

Sam_Heggy
14/02/2011, 3:56 PM
I'd have assumed they'd try to keep Galway close to Sligo etc. Wasn't Mervue/Salthill in the Northen section? Swap one of the Dub teams.

You'd have to think there was definitely some sort of plan for the league as Fanad wouldn't join for just 6 months would they?

Meh, Galway were in the Southern Section last season though. They are as close if not closer to Limerick than Sligo.

The Reserve league will replace the A League is what Ive been told. Maybe this will be reviewed over the course of the season.

culloty82
14/02/2011, 4:13 PM
I'd say swap Shels and Galway over, so they'd play Sligo and Derry, but other than that, you're probably spot on. If Galway win their appeal, that section would be down to eight teams.

legendz
14/02/2011, 4:50 PM
If it's going to be called a reserve league so be it. As long as there is a gateway for clubs to join the league, that's the main thing.

Sam_Heggy
14/02/2011, 5:07 PM
I'd say swap Shels and Galway over, so they'd play Sligo and Derry, but other than that, you're probably spot on. If Galway win their appeal, that section would be down to eight teams.

If Galway win their appeal they will have to have a team in the A League.
Shels were in Northern section last season with Galway in southern, why should that change now?

Dodge
14/02/2011, 6:44 PM
Shels were in Northern section last season with Galway in southern, why should that change now?

Just to have a less weird decision than Galways in A and Drogheda in the premier...

culloty82
14/02/2011, 8:05 PM

Yes, but if Galway are in the Premier, Monaghan wouldn't have to field a team from the First, so there's a shortfall.

legendz
14/02/2011, 10:49 PM
With this proposed Reserve League, what is the driving force behind ending the A Championship that's already in existence? Is it that the A Championship might not have a sponsor after this year? Newstalk have been the name sponsor. It's not really a league that has developed. It has a purpose but has not got a high profile and will be unlikely to attract a sponsor on it's own. It looks like a move to bring it under the umbrella of the Airtricity League. Is it the wishes of Premier clubs who do not want to have to field an A side? The A Championship appeared to be a standard where Premier clubs had to field a side and first teams could join. I can only imagine with the Reserve League, there will not be the stipulation for the mandatory fielding of a team by Premier clubs? Are any of these behind the moves?
At the end of the day, if it provides a path for potential new clubs, it's a good thing. People can lament there is not a club from their regions but if a pathway is there to join the league, there is not much to complain about. I hope whatever happens, moves are made to lengthen the season. The 16 league games Carlow, Tralee Dynamos and others played last season was way too few. For teams like these to develop and establish themselves, they need more league games than that in a season.

legendz
11/03/2011, 4:03 PM
I don't like this uncertainty over the competition at all? How is it good for the clubs involved. I know the Genesis Report has been ripped to shreds but it's point that there has to be a league or way of joining the league on the field of play is a good one.
There is only four first team clubs in the A Championship this season. Castlebar and Tullamore have opted out as we know. When the LoI clubs have a meeting, it's usually the head of all the clubs involved. It might be an idea for the four clubs and the two that opted out to form a group where they can discuss what they are looking for from the game and then communicate with the FAI on a way forward.
How are Tralee, Cobh, Carlow and Fanad going to progress this season with only 14 league games and no idea on the plans for next season? It's no way for these clubs to develop, promote the game in their areas and work on their fan base.

Sam_Heggy
12/03/2011, 12:54 PM
Fanad have still got a team in the Ulster Senior League.

legendz
12/03/2011, 1:48 PM
Fanad have still got a team in the Ulster Senior League.

Point taken. Tralee Dynamos still have a team in the Kerry District League.

For clubs who want to aspire to play in the LoI and raise their profile, they need to be playing more games at a certain level. The A Championship should be starting at least a week after the start of the LoI. It should also run right up until the end of October at least.

I know across the water they've restructured their reserve league this year due to the number of clubs available. One section had to be split in two groups. The same idea should be taken with the A Championship. Once the number of clubs are known, form a system for the season where the clubs will get a decent number of games.

Sam_Heggy
30/03/2011, 5:21 PM
No A League/Reserve League or any other form of 3rd tier next season.

You would think they would have held the Under 19's until next March in light of this.

colinf
30/03/2011, 9:57 PM
so any player over 19 just goes back to junior football? the FAI are a complete joke

Dodge
31/03/2011, 9:07 AM
No A League/Reserve League or any other form of 3rd tier next season.

You would think they would have held the Under 19's until next March in light of this.

So next season we have first teams and thats it?

colinf
31/03/2011, 2:51 PM
It's stupid. what's the point in that? people will end up going back to junior football and being wasted.

Sam_Heggy
31/03/2011, 6:05 PM
So next season we have first teams and thats it?

Yup. Balls.