PDA

View Full Version : That ain't good

liam88
02/05/2004, 10:13 AM
Terrible (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3676903.stm) to be honest.

lopez
02/05/2004, 2:05 PM
Shocking. Didn't think Irish League football was so bad although remember reading about Portadown and Glenavon last year. Even worse when these two clubs are supposedly from the same community.

TommyT
02/05/2004, 2:48 PM
''Stab yer own, stab yer own, stab yer own''

:D

Duncan Gardner
02/05/2004, 3:37 PM
Lopez- eye witness accounts I've heard suggest it had nothing to do with Coleraine fans, rather some balaclava boys settling scores.

Tommy- friends of mine were in that stand with young children, and don't see any humour in this :confused:

lopez
02/05/2004, 4:12 PM
Lopez- eye witness accounts I've heard suggest it had nothing to do with Coleraine fans, rather some balaclava boys settling scores.You'd think the domestic cup final would be a bit indiscreet for such score-settling?

Tommy- friends of mine were in that stand with young children, and don't see any humour in this :confused:I agree! :mad:

Lux Interior
02/05/2004, 6:24 PM
''Stab yer own, stab yer own, stab yer own''

:D

That's a bit low, chum.

Paramilitary feuding in which 'scores' were 'being settled', this time at a showpiece football final.

Took a bit of the shine of last night's celebrations but I guess when there's cheap points to be scored ............. :rolleyes:

liam88
02/05/2004, 8:26 PM
Are both majority loyalist fans?

liam88
02/05/2004, 8:58 PM
What about Glentoran and Colleraine?

liam88
02/05/2004, 10:16 PM
eh? Green and white?
Nationalist?

TommyT
02/05/2004, 10:25 PM
eh? Green and white?
Nationalist?

Eh East Belfast ??

liam88
03/05/2004, 10:53 AM
Oh fair play-both loyalist.
Got confused by reading your signature. Cheers mate

TommyT
03/05/2004, 1:44 PM
Doubtless someone will contradict this....Cliftonville,Donegal Celtic & Lurgan Celtic are nationalist teams in the IL;allegedly Newry,Omagh & Glenavon have nationalist fans,for obvious reasons.....given their geographical location.....

Glenavon ??

Treated Rovers well regularly but hardly nationalist, when in the same town as LC.

Distillery used to I think, plus Newry, Omagh don't have any fans.

lopez
03/05/2004, 1:58 PM
Glenavon ??

Treated Rovers well regularly but hardly nationalist, when in the same town as LC.Glentoran used to sign loads of Catholics and players from the south, including Con Martin (Mick's dad). Remember hearing something about Glens fans winding up Linfield supporters with tricolours in the eighties which ended with threats from the balaclava brigade about 'creating divisions within the Loyalist community', etc. Can anyone expand? :confused:

Lux Interior
03/05/2004, 6:07 PM
Glens still sign loads of Catholics, of course.

The last players to be signed from the South were Donal O'Brien (1995), Derek Swann and John Grace - both 1993 - and I'll throw in Liam Coyle on a technicality (1995).

Incidentally the former three were all pish but with money up here scarce and EL players on comparatvely bigger wages, quality players from the South which, IMO, are the types of players we would be looking for, will not be coming North.

A rumour doing the rounds a few weeks back concerned us sniffing around Tony Grant (to replace Andy Smith, who is surely off).

Con Martin came up in a quiz question the other night ;)

Lux Interior
03/05/2004, 6:10 PM
The 'tricolour thing' was an isolated incident - a wind up from a known headcase. There was also a couple of Sellick shirts when the Blues gave the ultimate two fingers to the likes of Fr Macmanus and signed Dessie Gorman.

Perhaps more effective was the singing of "Gerry Adams, your MP" to the incensed Bluemen - a large proportion of their support hailing from the Shankill area in West Belfast.

TommyT
03/05/2004, 8:50 PM
Was that the tricolour that read ''Shankill Rd CSC'' ?

On the ''stab yer own'' thing BTW I'm quite happy to see these ****s take lumps out of each other instead of attacking decent people though obviously it's not my friends/relatives exposed to it...

Anyway anyone know the story with the row ?

Was Glensmen who are ''affiliated'' to different ''groupings'' just fighting with each other or was it a carry over from Linfield-Glentoran last week ? (Ballysillan hardly being a known Glens sronghold)

Is it true weapons were stashed in Windsor at the international ?

liam88
03/05/2004, 9:26 PM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior]The 'tricolour thing' was an isolated incident - a wind up from a known headcase. QUOTE]
Let me get this straight. Lunatic Glentoran (loyalist club) fan brings a Shankill road CSC tri-colour into a Glentoran stand in an attempt to wind up Linfield fans opposite :confused: And he LIVED :rolleyes:

Lux Interior
03/05/2004, 11:36 PM
Was that the tricolour that read ''Shankill Rd CSC'' ?

On the ''stab yer own'' thing BTW I'm quite happy to see these ****s take lumps out of each other instead of attacking decent people though obviously it's not my friends/relatives exposed to it...

Anyway anyone know the story with the row ?

Was Glensmen who are ''affiliated'' to different ''groupings'' just fighting with each other or was it a carry over from Linfield-Glentoran last week ? (Ballysillan hardly being a known Glens sronghold)

Is it true weapons were stashed in Windsor at the international ?

Several stories doing the rounds, TT ... the most consistent one - which Ive heard from two reliable sources - concerns elements from Ballysillan (def NOT a Glens stronghold) and lowlife who frequent a well known watering hole in East Belfast, with non-football scores to settle.

A revenge mission - nowt to do with football or the in-fighting between a couple of Glens the previous week - with the weapons apparently hid during Weds international.

Needless to say, the whole gloss has been taken off the Cup Final win.

Liam88 - don't underestimate the 'power of the tricolour' to wind up that lot :D ..... and, yes, it was the (in)famous 'Shankill Rd CSC' flag. Not sure what happened to him, but he probably did his time up in the rafters (of the stand) where they used to beat ten bells out of each other, hanging from the girders, with one arm trading punches.

Ahhh, the '80s ;)

liam88
04/05/2004, 5:57 AM
Ahhh, the '80s ;)
Apart from the weekends little incident I take it that it it's calmed down a lot since then?

lopez
04/05/2004, 2:41 PM
Good to see it wasn't strictly football related. As for tricolour, I see from the Glen's colours on your posts' badge, it doesn't even have to be green, white and orange. :)

Alexa
09/05/2004, 3:25 PM
Unfortunately events at Windsor were not the only nasty happenings at a game in Norn Ireland last week....check out this story!

http://www.impartialreporter.com/archive/2004-05-06/news/story7971.html

Saddens us all eh?