PDA

View Full Version : Snoring

Mad Moose
28/09/2010, 12:53 PM
I'm just wondering what is the best cure for snoring?. I think as I've got older my snoring has gotten considerably worse but I often wake myself up. One thing I'm very aware I do now is kick out and jump about which isn't very pleasant at all.

Any suggestions?

John83
28/09/2010, 1:46 PM
There's a host of folk remedies of dubious merit, and a surgical solution (they cut a bit out of your throat), but simplest is to lose weight.

osarusan
28/09/2010, 2:33 PM
I'm just wondering what is the best cure for snoring?. I think as I've got older my snoring has gotten considerably worse but I often wake myself up. One thing I'm very aware I do now is kick out and jump about which isn't very pleasant at all.

Any suggestions?

Go to a doctor and see if there are any solutions. Otherwise, lose weight (if applicable), stop smoking (if applicable) and don't sleep on your back. Don't drink alcohol - it's a muscle relaxant which aids narrowing ot the airways. Get a good pillow which will support your neck / head and try not to let your head move towards your chest as as you sleep - the straighter you neck and head are, the less obstructed your airways are.

But, from my second-hand experience of it, you're pretty much stuck with it.

Aberdonian Stu
29/09/2010, 8:58 AM
I was about to mention alcohol for the same reason. I find snoring is one of those things that comes and goes, I have some nights where I'm terrible for it and others where I'm quiet as a mouse (well this is what I have been told). As for sleep-talking, well that's another story...

tetsujin1979
29/09/2010, 9:08 AM
I've been told I'm a terrible snorer, but I picked up a bottle of snore-eze (real name) from Boots and the complaints stopped

Mad Moose
29/09/2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. No weight or smoking issues to factor into my snoring but I might often have a bottle of beer with my dinner when I'm home of an evening. My girlfriend is a particularly poor sleeper while I'm a particularly heavy sleeper and so it has been traditionally difficult for her but of late its gotten considerably worse. She'll hear the slightest noise outside and she's awake where as It takes alot to wake me. I tend to dream quite a bit and so I'm likely to be in a deeper sleep and so I move quite a bit more and perhaps snore loudly.

Thanks for the advice though.

the 12 th man
29/09/2010, 12:15 PM
Sow a tennis ball into the back of your jimjams to prevent you turning onto your back when asleep.

Mr A
29/09/2010, 12:33 PM
Sow a tennis ball into the back of your jimjams to prevent you turning onto your back when asleep.

Alternatively, sow it to the front of your other half's head to stop her giving out to you.

Wolfie
29/09/2010, 12:48 PM
Another handy tip worth noting for bedtime is to protect yourself from passing vampires and werewolves by hiding under the covers.

Mad Moose
29/09/2010, 3:45 PM
I had to read that a second time and on first reading it I thought you were running with the idea of sowing it to the front of your jimjams to give her something else. Apologies. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

OneRedArmy
29/09/2010, 3:56 PM
I use the Snor-eze menthol strips when I'm flying overnight to try to reduce my snoring(get them in Boots).

They are like those wafer thin mint strips, you put one on the roof of your mouth and I think the idea is that the menthol vapours it produces keeps your nasal passage and throat relatively clear.

I occasionally wake myself up with my own snoring (in the half awake state wondering what on earth that awful noise is and then realise its me.....). Pretty bad.

Dodge
29/09/2010, 4:00 PM
Would a garlic covered tennis ball not cure all the problems? Missus won't sleep with you because of the smell so no moaning. Vampires won't come in so no biting.

You're welcome.

Mr A
29/09/2010, 4:01 PM
Doesn't help with werewolves though. A garlic tennis ball with silver lining maybe?

Dodge
29/09/2010, 4:03 PM
Doesn't help with werewolves though. A garlic tennis ball with silver lining maybe?

Just have a sign pointing them in the direction of the missus's new room

"The tastty one is that way --->"

elroy
30/09/2010, 2:09 PM
I occasionally wake myself up with my own snoring (in the half awake state wondering what on earth that awful noise is and then realise its me.....). Pretty bad.

Ha ha im the exact same, i only ever snore when sleeping on my back. But this has happened me a few times as well, have found myself laughing at the thought that i just woke myself up with my snoring.

Magicme
01/10/2010, 1:00 AM
It's been documented elsewhere that I am bad in bed....snoring, talking, screaming and walking among my worst habits. I went to doctor and he referred me to the local sleep clinic. Had initial appointment with consultant a few weeks ago and they are gonna look at the snoring/sleep apnea first.

Have an appointment in a few weeks to be hooked up to monitors before being sent home to sleep and next day getting x-rays on sinus etc done.

So go to doc and get it investigated. I can't wait to solve my bad sleep coz am fed up feeling worn out and maybe I will find a fella when am good in bed! :-)

thischarmingman
01/10/2010, 7:38 AM
It's been documented elsewhere that I am bad in bed....

You have a disgruntled ex too, Magicme?

Magicme
01/10/2010, 11:44 AM
You have a disgruntled ex too, Magicme?

More than 1! Oh do you remember me thinking someone was drowning in the bath in the hotel last year, a fine example of my sleep madness!

Mr A
01/10/2010, 12:17 PM
One of my older brothers has both a terrible snoring problem and also a tendency to suffer night terrors. He is known to tear about screaming, kicking and punching in the middle of the night, all without waking up. It usually involves aliens.

One night his long suffering other half woke up to find him ringing the fire brigade reporting a big fire outside. She had to grab the receiver and attempt to explain about the night terrors and how he was actually asleep for the whole thing. Not easy when he was resisting and obviously didn't have a clue why she was doing this.

A tad embarrassing for her though when moments later she noticed that a caravan outside their neighbours house was completely ablaze.

Lessons were learned.

thischarmingman
01/10/2010, 1:30 PM
More than 1! Oh do you remember me thinking someone was drowning in the bath in the hotel last year, a fine example of my sleep madness!

That wasn't too far off holidaysong's state.