PDA

View Full Version : great comeback

lowflyingseagul
24/09/2010, 9:31 PM
thought the students had the better of it in terms of chances but we are a different side now and got up a good head of steam at the end. cracker of a goal for the equalizer . great result at drogheda too

peadar1987
24/09/2010, 9:43 PM
I've said a lot of bad things about Daire Doyle over the last season or two, but I can't fault him for tonight. What a screamer! We're really looking like a team who belong in this division now

naoise kennedy
24/09/2010, 9:58 PM
To be honest we started well but fell back after about 20 minutes, Ucd got in control and deservedly took the lead, the way we played it felt abit like the old (eddie) days, we did'nt fight for the ball, slow getting the tackles in, Ucd where much quicker to the ball.. the second half Ucd got the goal and then we started to play the way they have been over the last few weeks,,
Overall nobody had a great game but saying that there was a huge improvement after Ucd's second goal, again i have to comment about zambra he has improved so much lately. shane looks like he is still carrying an injury.But hats off to all the team they came back well started fighting more and it paid off ..massey seems to dive into tackles and gave away a few frees tonight,

What a goal from Daire, he has lost his place lately so it was great for him to get that goal...

dublinwanderer
24/09/2010, 10:19 PM
what a goal!!! fair play, they played till the end and never gave up! :)

notever
25/09/2010, 6:41 PM
:bigsmile:It probably wasn't our best performance over the last few weeks but it was a great fightback and I suppose after the start we had,played well early on, and the fightback, we deserved a point.What a cracking goal for the equaliser!.

The Fox
26/09/2010, 5:55 PM
Thought we played ok - to be honest we looked a little tired after a tough couple of weeks with a lot of matches. It was important to keep the run going as the run in is challenging - Sligo, Bohs and Pats away will not be easy no matter how well we are playing. Hopefully a week will see some injuries clear up.
The only disappointing thing was the unnecessary abuse that Bray fans were giving a couple of the Bray players when we were losing. Totally uncalled for given the good recent run and effort from the players - people should be encouraging them at this stage!!!!!

Martinho II
26/09/2010, 6:37 PM
fair play to daire.. in his two seasons with us he only scored two goals and they were in separate games in his last season in the first division!! so I am in shock he got two in a game!

Captain2007
26/09/2010, 8:26 PM
fair play to daire.. in his two seasons with us he only scored two goals and they were in separate games in his last season in the first division!! so I am in shock he got two in a game!

Daire deserves all the credit he gets, he as sat on the bench for weeks and lost the Capt's armband, and still gives 110% every week,never once complains just gets on with it, top pro and I am sure a big influence on the younger players in the squad.

Stevo Da Gull
26/09/2010, 9:43 PM
Thought we played ok - to be honest we looked a little tired after a tough couple of weeks with a lot of matches. It was important to keep the run going as the run in is challenging - Sligo, Bohs and Pats away will not be easy no matter how well we are playing. Hopefully a week will see some injuries clear up.
The only disappointing thing was the unnecessary abuse that Bray fans were giving a couple of the Bray players when we were losing. Totally uncalled for given the good recent run and effort from the players - people should be encouraging them at this stage!!!!!

I'd agree with that. I never saw the point in abusing your own players. To be fair though, I thought that most of the fans got behind the team well on Friday, whereas earlier in the season the atmosphere was largely dead.

Great fight from the lads and I don't think any teams look forward to facing us anymore.

SupaJon
27/09/2010, 9:09 AM
I didn't hear any abuse but 2 players stood out as having very frustrating evenings.

Poor Dave Webster looked like he had his boots on the wrong feet. Seemed most times he got the ball he couldn't control it properly or pass it to someone in a green shirt.
That said, his throw-in led to the first goal and he normally plays a lot better.
I think it was just one of those nights that most players have from time to time.

The other was Dean Zambra. Don't know if he recieved a hard challenge early in the game or something but he seemed to go out of his way to avoid making a tackle.

Great fightback though.

Roo69
27/09/2010, 9:21 AM

Spot on, the lads looked quite tired with lead in their legs at times but that is to be expected for a part time team having played 4 games in such a short space of time.

I thought the game started off fairly evenly, nice open contest. UCD had the first real chance when Gregg pushed a poor shot onto the bar but Billy Brennan then pulled off 3 excellent saves to keep UCD in the game, there goal was slightly against the run of play and he got lucky the way it bounced nice for him but he kept calm and put it away.

As we tried to push on a bit in the 2nd half they caught us a few times and really should have killed the game off but Matt Gregg was superb, totally kept us in the game. The 2nd goal was even luciker, Mitchell slide in hooked the ball and it rebounded off UCD's player and went in over Gregg. I'll be honest i thought the game was over at that stage but fair play to them for fighting on, they really dug deep and we put UCD under a lot of pressure in the last 10 minutes and what a goal to get us level ! superb strike even if it did take a nick off a UCD defender. Very similar to his wonder strike against Sligo last season.

I think with a fully fit team we are more than capable of beating the teams in or around us in a play off match home or away. Shane O'Neill was only 70% fit, he was carrying his shooulder most of the game, then add Jake Kelly and John Mulroy to that attack added to the way we are playing and the amount and with the amount of fight and spirit we have shown i dont think UCD or Galway will look forward to playing us.

It's a very tough run in but lets keep the faith, the players believe they can do it so we should to.