PDA

View Full Version : Byrne on form after Irish game !!

A face
30/04/2004, 9:29 PM
85' Shelbourne [2 - 0] St. Patricks

12' [1 - 0] Byrne

52' [2 - 0] Byrne

Slash/ED
30/04/2004, 11:24 PM
Even aside from the goals, he was absolutley superb. He was everywhere, ran himself into the ground and showed some his quality outside the box and in scoring goals. The Ireland match has given him supreme confidence, that was one of his best preformances since signing for Shels, and that says something.

We passed Pats off the park today, best Shels preformance all season.

A face
01/05/2004, 1:04 AM
i dunno ... is that enough evidence that if players are given a fair crack of the whip then they will respond. It is not good enough to over look the league but other managers will i fear, unless there are players getting into the team and showing their worth. I am really píssed off that he didn't get any longer, just have to keep trying.

Slash/ED
01/05/2004, 1:56 AM
The Romania match will say alot. If Byrne keeps up his form and is still left out of the squad, espically if there's a few injuries, then it was definitely just a token gesture by Kerr and he'll never play again, but if he gets into that squad than Kerr must think he has an international future.

Everyone was gutted about the time he got against Poland, some of the songs today about Kerr weren't exactly complimentary about it all, but hopefully he'll get a proper chance against Romania or, at the very least, in that London tournament thing. If he does, and he takes the chance, than he can't really be left out.

A face
01/05/2004, 5:34 PM
Byrne downs Pat’s

May 1, 2004

Shelbourne 2-0 St. Patrick’s Athletic
Two goals from Jason Byrne saw Shelbourne move six points clear at the top of the eircom Premier Division with comfortable win over struggling St. Patrick’s.

Byrne hit the headlines during the week when he made his international debut against Poland and he was the star of the show as Shelbourne continued their unbeaten start to the season.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=11201)

eoinh
01/05/2004, 6:27 PM
I wouldnt be singing songs against kerr as although he only gave Byrne a small chance at least he gave him a chance. I coudnt imagine Mick McCarthy giving him a go - no matter what the situation.

Its bizarre really but who would have thought that the league would have so many talented strikers. Five years ago the thought of a LOI striker playing for his country wouldnt be entertained.

In the past the strength used to lie in goalkeepers (the O'neil brothers) or midfield (Pat Byrne, Dave Barry or Liam O'Brien when he was with rovers not city :) )

And its not because he plays for city but O'Flynn is imo the best striker i have ever seen in LOI football by a mile. No disrespect to byrne meant, as im very pleased for him.

Something that got a bit overlooked as well was the appearance of a UCD player for Northern Irelands U-23 team the same night. Thats the equivalent really of their b team.

I wonder what the odds of two LOI players appearing in the Irish team in the same match? Worth a bet?

How about Byrne and O'Flynn up front?

Slash/ED
01/05/2004, 6:42 PM
Kerr said he would have considered O'Flynn had he not been injured aswell, didn't he?

O'Flynn has simply proved he's international class with the U21s. Unfortunately for Byrne he hasn't had the same chance but hopefully he'll go on to prove it. If we had one or two injuries we could do alot worse than an O'Flynn Byrne combination :)

pete
04/05/2004, 10:13 AM
Up to the last 3-4 years no real quality young skrikers in the league as Morley, Caulfield, Geoghan, Speak, Coyle etc... were on the way to retirement.

All the best forwards in the league now are young in mid to early 20's which i'm sure is contributing to their internatuional callups.