PDA

View Full Version : Broadband providers?

Lev Yashin
21/09/2010, 9:00 PM
Ok, I know there was a thread on here about broadband providers before but time has moved on. I'm leaving eircom for obvious reasons(scumbags) so I'm just wondering who people think are good/bad etc. I will be using it for surfing gaming and a small amount of downloading.

Ta

dahamsta
21/09/2010, 9:04 PM
They're all much of a muchness I'm afraid. I'm with Digiweb, the service is ok, the prices aren't too bad and the staff are above average for an ISP. That's about the closest I could get to a recommendation. They throttle bittorrent a bit, if that's a factor.

Dunny
21/09/2010, 9:12 PM
I'm with Digiweb also and have no problems, price is reasonable enough also.

tetsujin1979
21/09/2010, 10:26 PM
we have NTL in the house, along with TV and phone
customer service is terrible, when a problem does occur, but the service itself is actually pretty good
we've only had to ring them 2 or 3 times in the 3 years we've been signed up to them

Battery Rover
22/09/2010, 6:19 PM
I'm with BB Net www.bbnet.ie due to not being able to get anything else where I live.

I tried out a few of their packages and now pay €59 a month for 4mb down and 2 mb up. No download or upload caps either. Latency pings about 25ms

Aberdonian Stu
28/09/2010, 12:09 PM
I have Magnet and to be honest I find it's a kick-ass service. Much better than what I got from Digiweb.

Dodge
28/09/2010, 12:13 PM
A satisfied UPC customer here. Been with them for 5 years now. Probably lost about 5 hours total conenction time. Only had to call them twice. Both times the call was answered within 5/6 minutes and the query dealt with.

From reading other forums, this wasn't the norm several years ago but apparently they've improved customer service markedly

dahamsta
28/09/2010, 12:21 PM
I have Magnet and to be honest I find it's a kick-ass service. Much better than what I got from Digiweb.

Magnet are operating the ex-judicial and probably illegal 3 strikes nonsense on behalf of the scum in IMRO, which precluded me from signing up with them. I had a long conversation with a very nice Magnet guy trying to tie down their actual stance, but we couldn't figure it out so I had to decline. If it wasn't for that, I'd be delighted to be a customer of theirs.

A satisfied UPC customer here.

I'll never deal with UPC because of their disdain for me as a customer in the past, and their continued disdain for cable customers in Cork.

Dodge
11/10/2010, 12:17 PM
Magnet are operating the ex-judicial and probably illegal 3 strikes nonsense on behalf of the scum in IMRO

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1011/breaking32.html

UPC have successfully challenged this

dahamsta
11/10/2010, 12:36 PM
Well done UPC! Must get on to Magnet to see if they plan to drop this now there's a precedent.

Lev Yashin
11/10/2010, 12:45 PM
I recieved my third letter last week...about an album i downloaded about year and half ago!!

Anyway was too busy to change but gonna get the finger out tonight and do it.
They are cutting me off on wednesday!! for a month!!! :eek:

hedderman
11/10/2010, 6:56 PM
I'm probably in a bit of a minority here but I feel that the internet really changes attitudes towards copyright.

What is the general objection to the "three strikes and you're out rule" and are Eircom still able to operate that policy if there is no legal basis for it?

dahamsta
11/10/2010, 8:26 PM
It's not operated within the law, in fact it could even be argued that it's very much against the law. The laws are there to do exactly the same thing, the labels are just too lazy and too greedy to spend the money on it.

I'd be very surprised if Eircom dropped the policy immediately. There's almost certainly a contract in place. In some cases in the UK, ISPs actually charge the labels for data, it's quite lucrative for the ISP as the amount of work involved isn't consistent with the fees.

Dodge
11/10/2010, 8:55 PM
I'm probably in a bit of a minority here but I feel that the internet really changes attitudes towards copyright.

People have been "taping" songs off the radio since tapes were invented. Everyone I knew as a kid had videos of films taped off TV and you couldn't walk down O'Connell street for someone trying to sell you pirate videos.

Attitudes haven't changed. Its just easier for some now

tetsujin1979
11/10/2010, 10:54 PM
Labels really do need to realise that trying to stop illegal downloading is pointless. The genie has been out of the bottle for well over a decade now, and attitudes are not going to change. Anyone that did download regularly during that period is pretty much a lost cause. They're not going to suddenly start paying for something they've been getting for free for years just because they are told to. What labels need to do is start providing a service that's comparable to free downloads, at a price people are willing to pay for. The move by some acts to provide albums and tracks at a cost determined by the user is a start. It might not be the solution (I'm pretty sure it isn't) but it's a damn sight better than what went before it.

bennocelt
12/10/2010, 11:28 AM

What is the general objection to the "three strikes and you're out rule" and are Eircom still able to operate that policy if there is no legal basis for it?

So do you not look at music on Youtube?
I download a lot of stuff and if anything it makes me more into bands music, so much so that I buy their tickets, sign into their websites, etc etc and maybe even buy their albums (maybe!)

By the way - living in Asia for a while - I know exactly how cheap it is to produce a CD, etc
The record companies have ripped us off for years
(in china you can get a PS3 game for about 50 cents)