PDA

View Full Version : Ciaran Clark D Stoke City b.1989

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

elroy
21/09/2010, 8:25 AM
Accordingly to the papers today, this lad is the subject of interest from Man U at the moment and apparently to form part of a deal involving Michael Owen going to Villa. Now I hate these random threads about Irish sounding young lads as much as the next, but this lad is eligible for us, although English born both his parents are Irish. Unfortunately, he has represented England at youth level so far. Im not aware of any approaches been made by the FAI for him, but judging by the reports he seems to be one to check out.

He is currently playing with the Villa reserves, any one know much about him?

cornflakes
21/09/2010, 11:08 AM
He played a few games at the start of the season for Villa, when James Collins was injured I think, he did ok.

Bad move for Villa if that story is true, he has potential and Owen is ****e!

Predator
21/09/2010, 11:43 AM
Bow down to the power of Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciaran_Clark)!

That wiki article says he's 20 years old and a centre half.

AlaskaFox
21/09/2010, 12:35 PM
He's been on the cusp of first team action for a while, but with MacDonald now finished up, he could well return to the reserves. Depends on Houllier. I doubt he'll declare for Ireland though.

ChrisRed
21/09/2010, 12:56 PM
Chatting to a Villa fan at work (season ticket holder) and he really rates him, thinks he's a great prospect and doesn't think Villa will swap Clark for Owen unless there is a big sum attached. Thinks he is twice the player of Shane Lowry and Lowry isn't that bad. He has been England under 19 captain so can't see him switching allegiance, especially given how unstable the England centre backs are currently and quite a few will be retiring in the next few years. Although saying that he has never publically rulled out playing for Ireland that I know of.

TrapAPony
21/09/2010, 1:24 PM
IMO we would have to be qualifying for tournaments before any of these lads would even think of playing for us.

Predator
21/09/2010, 1:59 PM
If he'd like to play for us, great. It's nice to have more options at centre back, considering that Dunne is 30, but I think we already have a fair few solid defenders at underage level. The likes of Duffy, O'Brien and Egan have all got loads of potential, not to mention Darren O'Dea, who will hopefully get more game time this season.

Brendan 82
21/09/2010, 2:45 PM
Daniel Devine is an Irish defender at Villa. Played in FA Cup final against Chelsea (the one in which C. Clifford scored the winner)

carloz
21/09/2010, 3:26 PM
There is actually a bundle of irish lads at Aston Villa. Fingers crossed some of them can do well. Description of all the Villa Academy players with Irish links here

http://greenscene.me/2010/09/academy-irish-aston-villa-youth/

Razors left peg
21/09/2010, 4:22 PM
If he'd like to play for us, great. It's nice to have more options at centre back, considering that Dunne is 30, but I think we already have a fair few solid defenders at underage level. The likes of Duffy, O'Brien and Egan have all got loads of potential, not to mention Darren O'Dea, who will hopefully get more game time this season.

Whos Egan? cant remember hearing anything about him before

TrapAPony
21/09/2010, 4:28 PM
Whos Egan? cant remember hearing anything about him before

John Egan of Sunderland.

http://www.safc.com/page/AcademySquadProfiles/0,,10281~1695274,00.html

SwanVsDalton
21/09/2010, 5:48 PM
Great prospect, has settled into the team with very little problems both at the start of last season and this season (barring that 6-0 aberration against Newcastle). Looks like he's plumping for England before us though. If he ever changed his mind for whatever reason, and proved good enough, would have no problem having him in the squad.

AlaskaFox
21/09/2010, 5:58 PM
There is actually a bundle of irish lads at Aston Villa. Fingers crossed some of them can do well. Description of all the Villa Academy players with Irish links here

http://greenscene.me/2010/09/academy-irish-aston-villa-youth/

That youngster Grealish looked pretty good for our under 16s, but I think he's switched to England now.

elroy
21/09/2010, 8:29 PM
Pity, with two Irish parents you might have thought the chances of having wanting to play for us would be reasonably high.

greendeiseboy
21/09/2010, 8:50 PM
Pity, with two Irish parents you might have thought the chances of having wanting to play for us would be reasonably high.

Dont think it would make any difference - he'd struggle to get in to Trappatoni's settled squad ahead of a heavyweight like McShane:cry:

gastric
21/09/2010, 9:45 PM
We might be blessed soon with having more choice among our centre halves. Predator mentioned some above, but there are also prospects in Anthony O' Connor at Blackburn, (he was recently mentioned somewhere as one to watch) and Sean McGinty at Man Utd.

Predator
22/09/2010, 12:46 AM

http://greenscene.me/2010/09/academy-irish-aston-villa-youth/Good grief, England are now 'poaching' our youngsters!

We might be blessed soon with having more choice among our centre halves. Predator mentioned some above, but there are also prospects in Anthony O' Connor at Blackburn, (he was recently mentioned somewhere as one to watch) and Sean McGinty at Man Utd.Indeed. McGinty, O'Connor, Egan, O'Brien and Duffy are all in the U19 squad for their up-coming games in the UEFA qualifiers. It will be interesting to see who is the preferred centre-half pairing.

Razors left peg
22/09/2010, 7:08 AM
Good grief, England are now 'poaching' our youngsters!

Indeed. McGinty, O'Connor, Egan, O'Brien and Duffy are all in the U19 squad for their up-coming games in the UEFA qualifiers. It will be interesting to see who is the preferred centre-half pairing.

Off to the CAS with us, we know the lads there now

Closed Account
28/09/2010, 12:00 PM
http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2010/09/28/republic-of-ireland-approach-ciaran-clark-about-switching-his-england-allegiance-97319-27353441/
Interesting.

Razors left peg
28/09/2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2010/09/28/republic-of-ireland-approach-ciaran-clark-about-switching-his-england-allegiance-97319-27353441/
Interesting.

Id be alot more confident if it wasnt Mr Givens making the approach. Lets hope we dont have Steven Ireland taking in his other ear about what he thinks of the Irish set up

Wolfie
28/09/2010, 12:22 PM
Lets hope we dont have Steven Ireland taking in his other ear about what he thinks of the Irish set up

Christ Razor - is this lad embroiled in some sick torture ritual featuring Stephen Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlaskaFox
28/09/2010, 12:35 PM
Hopefully Richard Dunne has a word with him rather than Stephen Ireland.

SwanVsDalton
28/09/2010, 12:49 PM
According to that article he's just as eligible for Scotland. This could turn into a right scrap.

AlaskaFox
28/09/2010, 2:15 PM
His grandmother is from Ireland, so he's eligible.

Sullivinho
28/09/2010, 2:30 PM
Irish granny, Scottish father...England captain. Very interesting.

Christ Razor - is this lad embroiled in some sick torture ritual featuring Stephen Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6094/dogsl0403468x336.jpg

TrapAPony
28/09/2010, 2:58 PM
''Although London born and an England underage international, Clark has stong Donegal connections. He is the grandson of Vera Clark, originally from Moyle Hill in Milford, but presently living in Manorcunningham.

Ciaran's father Michael, although born in Edinburgh when his family were working in Scotland for a time, is a former student of Drummond National School in Ballyare (Donegal) and played for Milford United under Fr Michael Herrity as a teenager.

Michael eventually decided to move to England to find work and his wife Peggy, from Drumshambo, Co Leitrim, who trained as a nurse in Letterkenny General Hospital, left with him in early 1989. Michael now works with the London Underground, although makes the trip home on two or three occasions a year to visit his sizable extended family that includes the McGinleys, Lynaghs, McMonagles, Sweeneys and McCuskers.''

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalsport/Clark-signs-the-dotted-line.5890651.jp

SwanVsDalton
28/09/2010, 3:16 PM
His grandmother is from Ireland, so he's eligible.

I know, just pointing out Scotland could go after him as well just as easy if they were so inclined. Although I didn't realise his father was Scottish born but with an Irish mother as the Democrat outlines. Didn't realise his connections are that strong, might be a good chance of him turning out for us.

Razors left peg
28/09/2010, 4:25 PM

Don Givens in one ear and Steven Ireland in the other might make ya wanna cut off both ears alright :excruciating:

shakermaker1982
28/09/2010, 4:39 PM
you see some of the comments left from Villa fans?

AlaskaFox
28/09/2010, 5:57 PM
I know, just pointing out Scotland could go after him as well just as easy if they were so inclined. Although I didn't realise his father was Scottish born but with an Irish mother as the Democrat outlines. Didn't realise his connections are that strong, might be a good chance of him turning out for us.

Sorry, didn't notice the word "as" first time. Thought you said "He's just eligible for Scotland". Silly me.

Predator
28/09/2010, 6:10 PM
you see some of the comments left from Villa fans?I particularly like this one from 'VillaFan9':
"I'm sick of the R.O.I stealing the talent that England have nurtured on our shores. He was born here, he was educated here, he learned to play football here. The R.O.I shouldn't just be allowed to come and claim him when they want. Clark is one of the most promising ENGLISH defenders in the Premier League. These shady rules need to stop nations like the R.O.I taking talent away from countries that have produced them."
Shouldn't be allowed, ya hear!

Seriously, "shady rules"? They're almost as bad as some IFA fans. For a second I actually thought I was back on OWC.

co. down green
28/09/2010, 6:27 PM
I particularly like this one from 'VillaFan9':
"I'm sick of the R.O.I stealing the talent that England have nurtured on our shores. He was born here, he was educated here, he learned to play football here. The R.O.I shouldn't just be allowed to come and claim him when they want. Clark is one of the most promising ENGLISH defenders in the Premier League. These shady rules need to stop nations like the R.O.I taking talent away from countries that have produced them."

Seriously, "shady rules"? They're almost as bad as some IFA fans. For a second I actually thought I was back on OWC.

I wonder does 'VillaFan9' have the same opinion about Lewis Holtby (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315938/Lewis-Holtby-opens-door-England-reveals-Fabio-called-yet.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) ??

Sullivinho
28/09/2010, 8:03 PM
I particularly like this one from 'VillaFan9':

The wounds of Paul Green's defection are clearly still fresh.

'Stealing' is the highlight. You'd swear these guys were prize rottweilers lured away with a bag of doggie treats rather than autonomous individuals whose decisions and the reasons for them are their's alone.

I wonder does 'VillaFan9' have the same opinion about Lewis Holtby (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315938/Lewis-Holtby-opens-door-England-reveals-Fabio-called-yet.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) ??
Touché.

IsMiseSean
28/09/2010, 10:37 PM

If that kid is smart he'll stay with Germany, they have some very good youngsters and the making of a good team. They just need some CB's

Serb
29/09/2010, 12:09 AM
If that kid is smart he'll stay with Germany, they have some very good youngsters and the making of a good team. They just need some CB's

That's also assuming that he turns out to be any good.

HammerNThongs
29/09/2010, 10:32 AM
Official approach made according to the Daily Mail yesterday (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315976/Aston-Villa-starlet-Ciaran-Clark-approached-Republic-Ireland.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315976/Aston-Villa-starlet-Ciaran-Clark-approached-Republic-Ireland.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

AlaskaFox
29/09/2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think the Daily Mail added anything there or gave any sort of insight. Probably just based it off the Birmingham mail article.

elroy
29/09/2010, 1:06 PM
Any truth in the rumour that Givens and co use foot.ie as their main scouting resource for up and coming and eligible Irish talent??!?

irishfan86
29/09/2010, 2:07 PM
Any truth in the rumour that Givens and co use foot.ie as their main scouting resource for up and coming and eligible Irish talent??!?

If it's true, I don't think it's a bad thing. Many users on here are generally very knowledgeable about eligible players and things like Tets's Irish Abroad database would be a valuable resource for any national setup.

Crosby87
29/09/2010, 2:18 PM
Is there any reason to think he would want to switch?

irishfan86
29/09/2010, 2:51 PM
Is there any reason to think he would want to switch?

Realism. Maybe he feels he can be a centre half for England. Realistically unless he's some sort of super talent, he could be half a decade away from an England cap (if he even gets one).

Or, he feels a connection to Ireland and has simply never been approached, and thus never considered the option.

Either way, no harm in asking, although we're all hoping that if he does switch, it's for the right reasons.

boovidge
29/09/2010, 5:43 PM
wait, i'm a bit confused. so both his parents are irish (although father scottish born)? why does the mail say he qualifies through his granny then?

Crosby87
29/09/2010, 5:48 PM
I guess because his Gran is the only one out of them who was born in Ireland so technically that is his ticket?

Interestingly, she is supposedly in the same Bridge group as Stephen Irelands Gran. The plot thickens.

Scooby Doo
29/09/2010, 5:59 PM
Methinks a not too distant announcement that he wants more time to 'consider his options' is a very likely possibility.
Actually, AFAIR the only recent outside-born potential Irish recruits to give us clear, straight answers about their preference to play for England over us were Aaron Lennon and Dave Kitson.

seanfhear
29/09/2010, 6:08 PM
I guess because his Gran is the only one out of them who was born in Ireland so technically that is his ticket?

Interestingly, she is supposedly in the same Bridge group as Stephen Irelands Gran. The plot thickens.You are probably winding us up but, anyway here goes

I can't see the gran being in favour as under a certain set of circumstance her life could come under threat

greendeiseboy
29/09/2010, 6:51 PM

Interestingly, she is supposedly in the same Bridge group as Stephen Irelands Gran. The plot thickens.

Is his mam not from Leitrim?

gastric
29/09/2010, 10:40 PM
Don, if you are using the website to look for likely recruits, there is a list for you to work through under the Naughton, O' Hara thread. Please be more careful than you have been in the past with the likes of Treacy and McCann.

Serb
30/09/2010, 12:39 AM
Methinks a not too distant announcement that he wants more time to 'consider his options' is a very likely possibility.
Actually, AFAIR the only recent outside-born potential Irish recruits to give us clear, straight answers about their preference to play for England over us were Aaron Lennon and Dave Kitson.

Kevin Nolan did too in fairness. He mentioned it in his column on the BBC website a few years ago while Stan was in charge. He said he looked at it, but ultimately had no interest in playing for Ireland.

Razors left peg
30/09/2010, 7:50 PM
Clarke isnt named in the England u21 squad today. Is that anyway of a surprise? had he been in previous squads?

TrapAPony
30/09/2010, 8:02 PM
Clarke isnt named in the England u21 squad today. Is that anyway of a surprise? had he been in previous squads?

He has been called up to the English U21 squad before but was never capped.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3206468,00.html