PDA

View Full Version : Napster anyone?

noby
29/04/2004, 10:32 AM
(relax Macy)
Now that napster has gone 'legit', has anyone signed up to it?
Is it worth it? I think it's $10 a month unlimited.

max power
29/04/2004, 10:37 AM
it is but it depends on the type of music your looking for, they are a commerical organisation based in the usa so they are not gonna have certain irish/british music that you might be looking for.....that is the only draw back that i see from napster, plus what quality are the downloads, ir 64/128/192 kb per second, to be cd quality they have to be at least 192 andthing less than that would be a rip off

Dodge
29/04/2004, 11:31 AM
Isn't it US based only. Read a while ago that they were looking to enter European market but would have to launch individually in each country. Might be way off there...

4tothefloor
29/04/2004, 12:32 PM
I buy all my albums legitimately online for $0.75 - $1 each. I recently bought a new album worth €23 for $1.50, encoded at 256kbps. The site is based in a dodgy country, thus the ridiculously low prices. Not telling what it is though! ;)

Dodge
29/04/2004, 12:53 PM
Well you can put any album you like into google and ore than likely you'll get a link to some russian site offering that.

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

max power
29/04/2004, 1:26 PM
the basic cut on an album for an artist is more then your paying and then you have record company cut as well....sorry 4tothefloor but its far from legit.....

as someone who knows the business those numbers don't only not add up its laughable to think that you would believe that it is a legit site...PM me the link and i'll give you the proof

4tothefloor
29/04/2004, 4:56 PM
It is legit, the country in question has completely different copyright laws to us. They pay a license fee to the government to sell the music, and the money is then allocated according to the amount of downloads etc. I've checked this out and it is true. I did my final year dissertation in college on this, so I should know. Needless to say, the IFPI and other industry organisations are trying their best to get the copyright laws changed, but no go yet! There's a very similar online resource in Spain which is being specifically targeted at the moment. The reason this is being targeted is because it is easy to pressurise because Spain is in the EU.

...PM me the link and i'll give you the proof

You're probably ragin now cos i'm gettin my music for so little! Ain't giving you the link either 'cos once you give it to one everyone will be on the bloody thing and that will slow it down. As Dodge said, if you look hard enough you'll find it. You may have to wade through a load of dodgy sites first, but the difference is there are no pop-ups, spyware or nags in the legit sites. ;) This site is safe, you pay through paypal, i've used it and have never had any problems.

Why pay €20 when you can pay €1? :D

max power
29/04/2004, 7:02 PM
i'm not really ragin cause i get all mine for free from the record companies and have doen for the past 5 years :D

4tothefloor
29/04/2004, 10:02 PM
Fair play. I spend €40 to €50 per week on vinyl records, and i'm sure as hell not going to go out and pay full kudos for the same music twice on different formats, so this site is ideal really in that respect.