PDA

View Full Version : "B" Internationals

eirebhoy
28/04/2004, 8:05 PM
Brian Kerr has mentioned a few times that he would like to try out a few backup players in B Internationals against the likes of Scotland and Turkey. I think this is a great idea and I'd say everyone who gets a callup would accept. We could also see try out a few "plastic paddies". What team would you like to see? Baring in mind that players you regard as "A" subs (like Harte, Delap, Kenny, etc.) are part of the main squad so won't be involved in B's and the same is applied to U-21's.

--------------------------G.Stack------------------------------------

A.Maybury---------J.Thompson---------R.Dunne---------R.Ryan

T.Butler-------K.Nolan----------S.McPhail--------M.Kennedy

--------------L.Trundle-----------P.Heffernan--------------------

Others:
Graham Barrett
James O'Conner
John Macken
Alan Mahon
Gareth Farrelly
Paul Butler
Richie Partridge
Robert Douglas
Joe Murphy
Ronnie Bull
Barry Quinn
Alan Quinn
Jason Byrne
John O'Flynn

What do you think?

Plastic Paddy
28/04/2004, 8:19 PM
Oi you, watch it with your "plastic paddies"... :mad: ;)

Good idea, but ditch Paul Butler. And I think you have the wrong Douglas. Big Rab's got enough problems without coming to play for us too. :D

Off the top o' me head, I'd add Scott Fitzgerald and Gavin Mahon of Watford and Aiden McGeady (yeah, I know) of Celtic to your list.

:D PP

eirebhoy
28/04/2004, 8:23 PM
Oi you, watch it with your "plastic paddies"... :mad: ;)

Good idea, but ditch Paul Butler. And I think you have the wrong Douglas. Big Rab's got enough problems without coming to play for us too. :D

Off the top o' me head, I'd add Scott Fitzgerald and Gavin Mahon of Watford and Aiden McGeady (yeah, I know) of Celtic to your list.

Its Thomas Butler, not Paul. I edited the team to put in Kevin Nolan too. I'd prefer to throw McGeady in the U-21's as at least he plays competetive games.

gustavo
28/04/2004, 8:32 PM
my b team would be
stack

maybury
richie ryan
dunne
thompsoin

steven reid
kennedy
kavanagh
douglas

john o flynn
jason byrne

subs
joe murphy

stepehn kelly
jason gavin
paul tierney

alan quinn
mcgeady
partrige
mahon
mcphail

heffernan
crowe

gustavo
28/04/2004, 8:33 PM
but u still have paul butler on the bench!

Plastic Paddy
28/04/2004, 8:51 PM
Its Thomas Butler, not Paul. I edited the team to put in Kevin Nolan too. I'd prefer to throw McGeady in the U-21's as at least he plays competetive games.

You have Paul in your list of les autres... :eek:

Just to clarify my earlier post, Scott Fitzgerald is a centre-forward. In his first full season in English League football - Division 1 - he's scored about 10 times. Gavin Mahon is a right wing-back and a model of consistency. Worth a punt at the level discussed.

Footie_Fan
28/04/2004, 9:06 PM
I wouldn't put Maybury near an Irish shirt again after today.

Slash/ED
28/04/2004, 9:26 PM
O'Flynn Byrne

Kennedy Healy Douglas S Reid

Harte Thompson Dunne Maybury

Kenny

Could possibley use Finnan at right back if he'd be included in a B squad, but I'd say he's above that. Others to be used would be Heffernan, Crowe, Stack, Murphy, Quinn, Mahon, Doyle (the coventry one) and James O'Connor

liam88
28/04/2004, 9:34 PM
Robert Douglas

Nout to do with the Scottish International? :confused:

Eirambler
29/04/2004, 9:05 AM
Is Scott Fitzgerald Irish? I know that there was a different Scott Fitzgerald that played for Colchester or someone, who was Irish, but he wasn't up to much.

I didn't know the 'new' one had declared. He's had a decent Division 1 season.

Plastic Paddy
29/04/2004, 9:16 AM
Is Scott Fitzgerald Irish? I know that there was a different Scott Fitzgerald that played for Colchester or someone, who was Irish, but he wasn't up to much.

I didn't know the 'new' one had declared. He's had a decent Division 1 season.

His mother's from Galway. The following Watford Observer article explains further:

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/localsport/display.var.430860.0.irish_eyes_focus_on_hornets.p hp

We're still waiting for that 'B' international, Brian... ;)

:) PP

Bowsy
29/04/2004, 9:25 AM
Is a "B" cap like a an under 21 cap? Can you switch allegiances if your capped at "B" Level?

Dodge
29/04/2004, 9:26 AM
Its been a few years since a B international game. Might be an idea to get together with the British nations and have a "b" tournament.

Remember the B game v England in about 94/95 when Charlton picked Ronnie Whelan and Andy Towsend for it... :rolleyes:

drummerboy
29/04/2004, 10:14 AM
What about Noel Hunt and Dempsey who play in Scotland?

Clive Clarke of Stoke.
Michael Keane of Preston

sadloserkid
29/04/2004, 11:44 AM
Yeah but AFAIK under current legislation a player can't play at 'B' level after he's won a certain amount of Senior caps which would rule out Kennedy and Dunne anyway.

eirebhoy
29/04/2004, 12:02 PM
Yeah but AFAIK under current legislation a player can't play at 'B' level after he's won a certain amount of Senior caps which would rule out Kennedy and Dunne anyway.
Are you sure? It can be just classed as a normal international friendly though. Just because all the players are fringe and the letter B is in before international doesn't mean the likes of Dunne can't play.

Slash/ED
29/04/2004, 7:44 PM
I forgot about Sean Thornton, he'd be a first choice in a B team.

eirebhoy
29/04/2004, 7:50 PM
I forgot about Sean Thornton, he'd be a first choice in a B team.
But he's still young so U-21's would a lot more important, the same applies for mcGeady and the rest named.

jofyisgod
29/04/2004, 8:09 PM
Would be a good opportunity for eL players to play in an Ireland shirt. It would greatly improve many people's chances of making it into a full senior squad as well. Surely John O'Flynn would be a starter in any 'b' team?

Can it happen?

sadloserkid
30/04/2004, 1:12 PM
Are you sure? It can be just classed as a normal international friendly though. Just because all the players are fringe and the letter B is in before international doesn't mean the likes of Dunne can't play.

I'm not sure but I do remember somebody saying it before. If it's a full friendly international then it's open to all but once you add in that 'B' I'm fairly sure (but open to correction) that only players who haven't played X amount of times are eligable.

pete
30/04/2004, 1:22 PM
I'm not sure but I do remember somebody saying it before. If it's a full friendly international then it's open to all but once you add in that 'B' I'm fairly sure (but open to correction) that only players who haven't played X amount of times are eligable.

Doubt there are any concrete rules for B internationals but usually they would involve players at fringes of international squad + players over 21.

Dodge
30/04/2004, 1:36 PM
Usually, But thats what made that Charlton squad even mopre bizarre.

eirebhoy
30/04/2004, 4:04 PM
So we should just take out the B and call it a friendly. ;)

sadloserkid
01/05/2004, 11:45 AM
So we should just take out the B and call it a friendly. ;)

I thought that's what we did the other night? :confused: