PDA

View Full Version : Ireland v Uruguay - 29th March 2011

harps1954
16/09/2010, 3:44 PM
I see the FAI have confirmed that we will be playing another home friendly game on 29th March next at Lansdowne against Uruguay. Apart from the three games (which were on neutral grounds) against Colombia, Nigeria and Brazil in London recently, I reckon we haven't played an away friendly fixture since the game against Denmark in August 2007. It's not a bit wonder that our away form isn't great, when we continue to play all friendly matches in Dublin.

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 4:01 PM
I see the FAI have confirmed that we will be playing another home friendly game on 29th March next at Lansdowne against Uruguay. Apart from the three games (which were on neutral grounds) against Colombia, Nigeria and Brazil in London recently, I reckon we haven't played an away friendly fixture since the game against Denmark in August 2007. It's not a bit wonder that our away form isn't great, when we continue to play all friendly matches in Dublin.I suspect you'd better get used to it, since the FAI's debt on the AVIVA won't pay itself off.

And at least you're not in Brazil's position, where I think they've played something like one friendly at home in the last three or four years, essentially because NIKE are paying them so much to model their latest kit etc in a variety of overseas markets (plus they can still command a very hefty appearance fee).

Anyhow, unless/until the economy picks up and/or the ROI starts qualifying again for the Euros and WC's etc, do you think the FAI will be able to go on filling the AVIVA for regular friendlies, at pretty hefty ticket prices, or might interest start to drop away?

pineapple stu
16/09/2010, 4:06 PM
I reckon we haven't played an away friendly fixture since the game against Denmark in August 2007.
We played Norway in 2008 as well. But yeah, we don't tend to play away games too often.

Stuttgart88
16/09/2010, 4:09 PM
Bring Gerry Daly out of retirement, but not Mick McCarthy.

geysir
16/09/2010, 5:11 PM
What are you on about Stutts?

EastTerracer
16/09/2010, 5:40 PM
What are you on about Stutts?

Jack Charlton's second match in charge - Uruguay took the lead with a deflected free-kick (off Mick McCarthy) and Gerry Daly equalised from the penalty spot. Perfectly obvious (kind of).

geysir
16/09/2010, 5:43 PM
I see the connection ............. now.
But way too advanced for me, before the explanation.

Stuttgart88
16/09/2010, 6:08 PM
I thought it was obvious.

Note to self: not everybody else is autistic. Must remember.

EastTerracer
16/09/2010, 6:35 PM
I thought it was obvious.

Note to self: not everybody else is autistic. Must remember.

Clearly I suffer from the same affliction when it comes to these matters. Is there a cure?:pill:

Irish_Praha
16/09/2010, 6:53 PM
I thought he meant this Gerry Daly
http://www.garden.ie/askgerry.aspx