PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports Cup Final September 25 2010

Pages : [1] 2

Monaghan United FC
15/09/2010, 7:06 PM
For anyone wanting to come cheer us on.....Cup Final Tickets are now on sale at Monaghan United's club house. To book your tickets or for further information ring 047 84798 or 087 2544682. There are a limited amount of tickets available for the Monaghan section so please book your ticket NOW!

Adult €15 Child u16 €5

Buses are also going from Gortakeegan so if you are interested in traveling with the Mons book a seat on the bus too!

Fester
17/09/2010, 9:59 AM
This match will also be shown Live from 5.00pm on Setanta Ireland.

Rasputin
17/09/2010, 10:30 AM
Will there be many Mons fans at this?

holidaysong
19/09/2010, 3:36 PM
Is the game on in Sligo?

Martinho II
19/09/2010, 3:40 PM
Will there be many Mons fans at this?
they are postponing the local junior league games for that weekend.. latest figure is around 800 monaghan fans are coming down which is at least three times their average home gate of 250!

Martinho II
19/09/2010, 3:40 PM
Is the game on in Sligo?

yes holidaysong

Magicme
19/09/2010, 4:09 PM
We were given 500 tickets and I believe they are almost sold so should be a good crowd. Can't wait.

oriel
19/09/2010, 5:23 PM
Good luck to Mons in this, I`m sure Sligo would take the FAI Cup over this anyday, besides its always nice for a club to be going for their first ever senior trophy.

fionnsci
19/09/2010, 10:18 PM
Great to see Monaghan bringing such a big crowd.

Rasputin
19/09/2010, 11:23 PM
Fair play to Monaghan for selling out their tickets.
They have been slogging it out for years the hard way and nights like this are the just rewards.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
23/09/2010, 8:08 AM
Paul Collins on Today FM this morning was going on about how the FAI have said that the 2 teams will be deducted the cost of the winners and runners-up medals out the gate receipts. Can't see an article on it anywhere yet.

DeNiro
23/09/2010, 8:21 AM
Deducting the cost of the medals is outrageous. I wonder would the FAI do that if it was a Bohs-Rovers final? It's amazing considering Delaney is on 400,000 as chief executive and he is asking clubs during a very lean period to pay for the very least they deserve. Really shows the contempt the FAI have for the LOI.

Jofspring
23/09/2010, 8:37 AM
According to the FAI this is a regular thing for teams to have to pay for their own medals. The teams also pay for Stewarding, Referees fees and expenses, tickets, match programmes, posters, bus hire for FAI officials and staff, promotion, a generator and portaloos.

Surely the idea of getting to a Final should be that all that kind of thing is covered. What does EA's sponsorhip cover?

micls
23/09/2010, 8:38 AM
I think most neutrals will want Mons to win it. A club built with solid foundations in a long process. A lot of hard work gone in and now reaping the rewards. Plus the underdog factor.

Hope ye win it and it sparks an increased, if even slightly, interest in your games in the area.

Also hope the players go on the **** for weeks after wards and ye lose to us in the Cross as a result :D

Good luck and enjoy it!

D.24saint
23/09/2010, 8:42 AM
once they dont have to cover the FAI bar tab they will be getting away light.

Joe Strummer
23/09/2010, 11:00 AM
Paul Collins on Today FM this morning was going on about how the FAI have said that the 2 teams will be deducted the cost of the winners and runners-up medals out the gate receipts. Can't see an article on it anywhere yet.

Its on the back of todays Star. The FAI really are a joke.

dong
23/09/2010, 11:16 AM
Ah for the love of God...Cancel the competition if things are that bad ffs.

Flexy
23/09/2010, 11:28 AM
Ah for the love of God...Cancel the competition if things are that bad ffs.
I wouldnt let any FAI officials at the game, refuse them entry they are a joke and its about time Delaney and his pals were put in their place.

passerrby
23/09/2010, 1:27 PM
just read the article jesus sake are they that badly off maybe we should organise a wipe round at half time for the FAI . Do EA not sponsor this event or is that going to feed the beast in ballsbridge as well

SkStu
23/09/2010, 2:48 PM
here is the article from the Mail...

WHAT A RIP-OFF
Finalists' fury as FAI make them stump up for their own medals
by PHILIP QUINN

IRISH soccer is in such a parlous financial state that the teams in Saturday's EA Sports Cup final have been told they must pay for their own medals.

Sligo Rovers and Monaghan United, who meet in The Showgrounds, must cough up for 36 medals — 18 for each side — and also the man-of-the-match trophy in the FAI's third-biggest competition.

The clubs were sent an email from the FAI on Tuesday of a lengthy match-day expense list.

The finalists are allowed to split the gate receipts but they also share the match-day expenses. These involve standard items such as providing GardaĆ­, stewarding, security and first aid at the ground, plus the fees and expenses of the match officials.

But they have also been asked to cover overnight accommodation and dinner for FAI officials, a prematch meal in a Sligo hotel for and coach transfer to the game, and catering at the ground for 6 .

Other 'extras' include paying for the printing of posters, programmes, promotions costs, advertising,a PA announcer, signage and, most importantly, Portaloos.

The FAI say that this has has happened before but clubs contacted yesterday could not recall that being the case.

Sligo and Monaghan are hoping the final generates enough cash to cover the extras. early 3, tickets have been sold, so the game could generate receipts of around , . But both clubs fear there may be little left in the kitty after their expenses are tallied up.

The FAI said last night that the match-day arrangements for the final are 'not different to previous years'.

'The League department runs the match and pays for all the costs which are kept to an absolute minimum. The remaining gate is divided equally between both clubs on top of separate prize money that they both receive,' said an FAI spokesman.

The EA Sports Cup is worth 1 , to the winner and , to the runners-up. In 6, winners erry City received 1 , .

While the knockout tournament is his immediate focus, Sligo manager Paul Cook is astonished at the FAI's decision to ask Sligo's supporters to travel to Dublin on the night of Friday, October 1 for their FAI Cup semi-final against Bohemians.

Cook cannot understand why the tie with was not fixed for the following Saturday or Sunday evening, which would facilitate fans travelling from the north-west.

Instead Shamrock Rovers and St Pat's will play in Tallaght Stadium on Sunday, October 1 , even though they could easily play on the Friday night without any travel issues for fans.

'How could we want to play on Friday night at . ' he asked. 'This will affect our travelling numbers. We took the guts of 8, people to Talaght last year for the FAI Cup final on what was probably the worst day for weather we had in ages.

'So we could comfortably take big support to Dublin on Saturday or Sunday with coaches leaving in the morning and people not being asked to take time off work.

'We want every supporter we can get to go to Dalymount because we want to try to have more fans there than Bohs.

'And on a Saturday afternoon I am convinced we might have that. And that would only benefit the League. Now we will be lucky to take people.

'Asking our fans in the middle of a recession to take time off work and travel up to Dublin on a Friday night doesn't seem right. I don't think we have been treated fairly in this.'

Cook is in favour of reversing the FAI Cup semi-final dates.

'Let's just swap the fixtures, we'll happily do that,' he said.

'We get on well with the other clubs and we are not trying to get a leg up on anybody. We have just had to play a rearranged fixture before the League Cup final and we just got on with it.'

Jofspring
23/09/2010, 2:58 PM
With all those costs is there the possibility that it could cost Monaghan and Sligo few quid to take part in the final? Those expenses plus players wages, coaches wages, and travel expenses is surely going to add up to a lot.

I think both the FAI and EA should be paying for the advertising, the refs and the medals. The clubs after working hard to get to a final should not have to worry about these things. I'm sure Man United, Chelsea and the likes pay all the expenses for the running of the Carling Cup Final and pay for their own medals when they are in it :rolleyes:

redobit
23/09/2010, 3:05 PM
What a shower of blood sucking turds them f***ers are. Taking money from hard working local clubs while they pay Dealney €420K a year. Thats just low. The FAIs party and the clubs are paying all of it, such a joke.

And they are capping the attendence on the night too so less money coming in the gate.

Sam_Heggy
23/09/2010, 4:00 PM
A whole new meaning to "buying the cup"

Fivesilver
23/09/2010, 4:04 PM
Deducting the cost of the medals is outrageous. I wonder would the FAI do that if it was a Bohs-Rovers final?

To be honest, I don't think this is a case of discriminating against less powerful clubs, more just Delaney and his cronies scabbing a few freebies off the clubs they are supposed to be promoting and supporting.
Making the only non-Dublin club in the FAI Cup semis play on the Friday night, on the other hand . . .

Still, I hope for Delaney's sake the chef in his hotel in Sligo isn't a Rovers fan. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/CommentCrazyGirl/Smileys%20Emotions/Sleepy%20Sick/smiley_emoticons_klokotzen-1.gif

Mr A
23/09/2010, 4:27 PM
Has it historically been the case that cup finals were not particularly profitable due to the expenses involved? Even FAI Cup finals used to be that way, I don't think Harps made much in 1999 for example.

In any case, our foresighted decision to be knocked out of this competition early looks more enlightened by the day.

osarusan
23/09/2010, 4:34 PM
Has it historically been the case that cup finals were not particularly profitable due to the expenses involved? Even FAI Cup finals used to be that way, I don't think Harps made much in 1999 for example.

That may well be the case, but I think the issue here is whether the clubs involved are being hit for extra costs compared with previous league cup finals. The FAI say no, and I have no idea to be honest. Maybe Bohs or Waterford fans can comment based on last year?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
23/09/2010, 7:58 PM
With all the overheads that are associated with getting to the final you'd imagine that if it was 2 clubs with little or no support in the final that the 2 clubs would actually lose quite a bit of money from the final (ignoring the 10k and 5k prize money which I presume is purely from EA)

Rasputin
24/09/2010, 9:23 AM
The FAI and Delaney really are a parasitic infection on Irish Football, lets just hope the coach we are forking out for the parasites comes without brakes.

northwestexile
25/09/2010, 8:53 AM
Has anybody got a link to watch this?

passerrby
25/09/2010, 9:22 AM
its on setanta i think

sligored
25/09/2010, 10:00 AM
any word on how many tickets monaghan have sold - will there be 800 as the showgrounds is looking well and it would be a shame if the red stand is not packed to the rafters- i am told that all sligo tickets are now gone

northwestexile
25/09/2010, 10:13 AM
its on setanta i think

Are they streaming it live on the net? Cant get Setanta Ireland where I am

Olander
25/09/2010, 10:33 AM
Best of luck to Sligo Rovers tonight

**FrOsTy**
25/09/2010, 11:39 AM
What does it matter how many tickets Mons sell im sure there wont be a set for them as per usual with big games for Sligo.

holidaysong
25/09/2010, 11:48 AM
Are they streaming it live on the net? Cant get Setanta Ireland where I am

It's not down on the online eircom listings unfortunately.

http://sports.eircom.net/setanta/

Rasputin
25/09/2010, 11:57 AM
What does it matter how many tickets Mons sell im sure there wont be a set for them as per usual with big games for Sligo.
Some day when you might sell out the RSC you can repay the favour.

The Lep
25/09/2010, 4:03 PM
Cmon the Mons.

Dunny
25/09/2010, 4:06 PM
Keep an eye on this for streams.

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=89015&part=sports

fionnsci
25/09/2010, 4:31 PM
Any political motivation for those Monaghan players not facing the flag I wonder?

osarusan
25/09/2010, 4:46 PM
Sligo 1 up. Blinkhorn.

gufc2000
25/09/2010, 4:51 PM
Great save by Sava there a few minutes ago

Dunny
25/09/2010, 5:01 PM
Commentary team are awful

oriel
25/09/2010, 5:09 PM
Cheers dunny, have that on now, would never have known about the link, kids as usual have cartoons on aky, so main tv not free !!

Ps great to see the showgrounds packed

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2010, 5:10 PM
Has anybody got a link to watch this?
Quality is a bit dodge but better than nothing.

FAI thing reminds me of Blackpool refusing to pay 15.50 apiece for post-match lasagnas at Chelsea last week. You'd think the FAI would just subtract the costs from the prize money but you just know they'll always find a way to make themselves look stupid.

osarusan
25/09/2010, 5:21 PM
You'd think the FAI would just subtract the costs from the prize money but you just know they'll always find a way to make themselves look stupid.
This is what I was thinking too. You factor in all the costs, then subtract them from the prize money, and the new amount is what is broadcast as the prize money. I wouldn't be surprised if the clubs pay for their medals every year, just it was managed better than this year.

osarusan
25/09/2010, 6:21 PM
Sligwegians win 1-0.

From what I saw on the webstream, they were well worth it, but well done to Monaghan for getting to the final while also topping the first division.

Dunny
25/09/2010, 6:22 PM
Chin up Magicme et al, Promotion should be number 1 target.

athloneman
25/09/2010, 6:23 PM
congrats sligo, they deserve it for what they are doing up there, hard luck mons, still a great achievement in getting to the final!! and for the first time in a few years the final was a decent game and not totally one sided!!

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2010, 6:24 PM
That Monaghan goalkeeper is fantastic. Does he have an Irish granny?

sean r
25/09/2010, 7:03 PM
is there a euro place for the final?