PDA

View Full Version : Kinsella realistic about his future

Bowsy
28/04/2004, 12:38 PM
Mark Kinsella, who will win his 46th cap for Ireland against Poland in Bygdoszcz this evening (Wednesday), has admitted that he will not be around when the World Cup kicks off in Germany in just over two years time.

The 31-year-old Dubliner has had a new lease of life since joining West Bromwich Albion earlier this year.

Since January, he has enjoyed a sustained run of first team football, helping the Baggies to return to the Premiership, and returned to the Irish fold after almost six months out of the equation following an ignominious end of the European Championship qualifiers in Switzerland last October.

He is expected to start alongside full debutant Liam Miller in midfield tonight, but admits that the emergence of young guns such as Miller, Colin Healy and Steven Reid – as well as the return to the fold of Roy Keane – will bring about the end of his international career.

He said: “In two years’ time, when the World Cup finals are on, I don’t see myself playing regularly for Ireland. I will be 34. Steve Staunton did it but he is an exception.

“I have done my time. I don’t want to be travelling around if I am not involved. And it would be better for a young lad to do that to get the experience.”

Beavis
28/04/2004, 12:45 PM
Fair play to him.Always liked his honesty and determination even if his ability may have been lacking...a fine servant of Irish Football

Dodge
28/04/2004, 12:58 PM
Ability wise he's been better than most of our midfielders.

ElSieteSecretos
28/04/2004, 2:52 PM
great player (apart from anything technical) and wishing you the greatest luck with West Bromwich Albion

Éanna
28/04/2004, 5:43 PM
wish he'd give "china doll" holland the boot instead

tricky_colour
28/04/2004, 5:50 PM
It would be a shame in a way as he sounded like man of the match
against Poland.

tiktok
28/04/2004, 6:54 PM
It would be a shame in a way as he sounded like man of the match
against Poland.

he was, haven't seem much of him recently, but on tonights performance, playing with the baggies has done him the world of good, best player on the pitch tonight

4tothefloor
28/04/2004, 7:01 PM
Thought Cunningham was our best player myself, but I agree with Eanna, i'd prefer to see Matt Holland losing out instead. I wouldn't even have him in the squad to be honest.

Beavis
28/04/2004, 8:59 PM
"china doll" holland

:D :D :D !!!!!!!

London Irish
29/04/2004, 4:58 PM
Too right, saw the guy in Jury's Ballsbridge after a couple of WC2002 Qualifiers and he is a top man. He has been steady, reliable and loyal..and he sent my old man a photo and 60th birthday card signed by the Charlton lads a few years ago. Good luck tonight Mark :D :D :D
Good on Mark Kinsella..he came over to the fans at the end last night and gave his shirt to someone he spotted in the crowd at the end