PDA

View Full Version : FAI Intermediate Cup 2010/2011

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

BalagueFC
14/02/2011, 3:32 PM
I was at the game as well and I would more or less agree with your verdict on it Goggs. There was no tactical awareness what so ever from the Corinthians management. I think everyone watching would agree with that. It was a big step up in standard for them. I thought they looked a lot more organised in the first game in their place. But then again our lads have the experience to see games like that out without being stylish. As for their fitness I am not too sure what you mean? There were a few players out there who didn’t look too sharp on their feet but nothing that would stand out.

Goggs
14/02/2011, 4:15 PM
I was at the game as well and I would more or less agree with your verdict on it Goggs. There was no tactical awareness what so ever from the Corinthians management. I think everyone watching would agree with that. It was a big step up in standard for them. I thought they looked a lot more organised in the first game in their place. But then again our lads have the experience to see games like that out without being stylish. As for their fitness I am not too sure what you mean? There were a few players out there who didn’t look too sharp on their feet but nothing that would stand out.
I was referring to Corithians fitness.

BalagueFC
14/02/2011, 4:30 PM
So was I, maybe they were less fit than our lads but not too bad

collcorforever
14/02/2011, 5:37 PM
I wish you had of come up and offered your advice to the management Goggs but I suppose its easy to be brave on a forum under a different name!!!!!!
All in all the better team won and played with 10 men excellently and I think the small pitch and conditions suited the way they play and best of luck to Avondale I hope ye go on and win the cup again, I have to disagree with our fitness levels and I would say the last 3 teams we played would say the same(Marys, D Hall and Avondale) we were without 3 of our starting 11 from our previous hgame and i think we really missed them from our squad.

Goggs feel free to come up training Tuesday night and fill us all in on your tactical know how!!!!

BalagueFC
14/02/2011, 6:18 PM
I think what Goggs was saying was that maybe your management should of changed it around a little as we were so comfortable with the 10 men and it wasn’t really effecting us. But then again I’m sure your management know the players and the positions they can play in so I wouldn’t try and undermine them. To be honest I saw both games and couldn’t really see much wrong with your lads fitness levels. Seemed ok to me. Then again I am two stone overweight myself. I thought over the two games you did quite well and have a decent young squad there. Best of luck with the rest of the season.

Goggs
15/02/2011, 7:00 AM
I wish you had of come up and offered your advice to the management Goggs but I suppose its easy to be brave on a forum under a different name!!!!!!
All in all the better team won and played with 10 men excellently and I think the small pitch and conditions suited the way they play and best of luck to Avondale I hope ye go on and win the cup again, I have to disagree with our fitness levels and I would say the last 3 teams we played would say the same(Marys, D Hall and Avondale) we were without 3 of our starting 11 from our previous hgame and i think we really missed them from our squad.

Goggs feel free to come up training Tuesday night and fill us all in on your tactical know how!!!!

A forum is where you offer your honest opinions collcorforever and unfortunitly for you.You have taken it to heart a four year old child would have more tactical savie than your management team the other day ive seen buses turn quicker than Avondales center halfs not once did ye try to stretch them and more the game went on the easier it got for them ye were blowing so hard through your holes I had to do a recount to see which had the man sent off. Corinthians is suppose to be a leading light in cork football with the set up and the structure its a pity ye d'ont school your coaches and ye might have the complete package or are ye too arogant to do this by the sounds of your last post everything is hunkey dorey so best of luck competing in the lower leagues for years to come.

Goggs
15/02/2011, 7:38 AM
Now that would require more than one nights training for you guys to understand.First I would have to explain what width is then I would have to explain what overlapping means then we could move on to switching your point of attack quickly rather than taking 12 passes to do it.Then I could explain too you guys the differance between keeping possession when your losing opposed to when your a goal down.Now Collcorforever that's only a snipit of what ye should be working on and you can't do any of that if your not fit.

j-burt
15/02/2011, 11:04 AM
A forum is where you offer your honest opinions collcorforever and unfortunitly for you.You have taken it to heart a four year old child would have more tactical savie than your management team the other day ive seen buses turn quicker than Avondales center halfs not once did ye try to stretch them and more the game went on the easier it got for them ye were blowing so hard through your holes I had to do a recount to see which had the man sent off. Corinthians is suppose to be a leading light in cork football with the set up and the structure its a pity ye d'ont school your coaches and ye might have the complete package or are ye too arogant to do this by the sounds of your last post everything is hunkey dorey so best of luck competing in the lower leagues for years to come.

Ok, in one sense I would agree with Goggs on the managements lack of vision in this particular game. His point is valid about using the width. On the other hand, Avondale park is very small which begs the question, would they have got anymore change from it really?? Singling out Corinthians management in this particular game is justified in terms of criticism of tactics against the ten men. Insulting them lacks a bit of taste though. I'm sure they must have set out a gameplan and just didnt want to vere off course with it. Rockmount did it two years ago when avondale were down to 9 men and came away with a nil nil draw. Does that make Billy Cronin a bad manager? I think not! If a man has an opinion he has an opinion and everyone on this forum would admire someone who looks at the game with what would seem to be some degree tactical savvy. I'd give the managment staff the benefit of the doubt as I can only assume the manager weighed up his options with what players he had at his disposal and thought, we dont have the right men to get down the flanks and cause problems?? apparently they were missing three regulars and maybe the players they had weren't quite up to it. A lot of senior league teams change their formation to suit their personnel, Avondale being no different.

On the topic of fitness, again I agree with Goggs, even in the first game, Corinthians players were coming off the pitch at half time with their tops off gasping for breath. I would blame the management here as well as the players. If you're going to play premier division, individuals have got to do some of your own training aswell as the teams if you want to win things.

As I posted previously on the topic of teams rebuilding after packing their team full with outsiders and achieving success in past years I'm going to bring the topic up again. Corinthians are a prime example, ( i won't delve into payments of players at the time) They seem to have a young side now though and will be hoping to rebuild in the coming years. They will take a lot from the two games, we all have to learn the hard way at some point in how to grind out games in the winter conditions in the munster senior league. I for one would welcome their pitches in the premier division. I hope blarney haven't gone down the road of relegation either due to an influx of outsiders. Hopefully they have to quote a bluffer "turned the corner"

Long Throw
15/02/2011, 11:26 AM
Went to the 'Hall v Belgrove game last Sunday, looks like Douglas Hall had one of those days and Belgrove played excellent, a good cup preformance,
However I read last nights report in the Echo and no mention of what Ball Hop described as "great attempt hit bar/post", 1 down, when a screamer hits the bar and bounces away, a turning point ?, a few mins later Belgorve hit their second quickly followed by their third, game over !, if that shot went in things may/may not have been different but it definelty merited a mention in the report

AvondaleNutter
15/02/2011, 12:42 PM
Ah lads come on Corithians looked every bit their first division status unfit and poorly managed a schoolboy manager would have seen the gaping holes Avondale left on either flanks which were never exploited their tempo was one paced and they played their football in all the wrong areas at one stage I wanted to go over to their bench and ask who's the brains behind this outfit but yet again Mrs Goggs talked me round.If Avondale were down to 8 men they still would have beaten them so please please lads lets not be delusional,I expect more from you Billynomates and Avondalenutter i hope paitrisuim is clouding your judgement.

Avondale Played 80 minutes with 10 men. Came away with the win and a place in the quarter final. Fair play to them.

Expect more from me goggs??? Avondale went out to win and they did so without playing particularly well but thats the signs of a good team that they can play poorly but yet still come away with the win.

Lets move on goggs.. Case Closed

Sparky
15/02/2011, 12:51 PM
Point 1. College Corinthians did not have the quality to break down Avondale (10 or 11 men)
Point 2. Avondale are much fitter in last number of months and I too saw Corinthians players blowing steam at H.T. of 1st game
Point 3. Avondale won the match because they went for it. They substituted a wing back for a centre forward on the hour mark and look dangerous.
Point 4. The better team won on the day and that is certain.
Case closed (again ha ha).

Goggs
15/02/2011, 1:21 PM
Your too nice Sparky

Sparky
15/02/2011, 2:14 PM
ha ha (only sometimes).

Goggs
15/02/2011, 6:29 PM
[QUOTE=AvondaleNutter;14537

Expect more from me goggs???
Ah Avondale don't be sensitive I'm just having a rant what else am I suppose to do on a Tuesday.Wheres the love.

AvondaleNutter
17/02/2011, 8:24 PM
[QUOTE=AvondaleNutter;14537]

Expect more from me goggs???
Ah Avondale don't be sensitive I'm just having a rant what else am I suppose to do on a Tuesday.Wheres the love.

Ok goggs this time we'll let slide :-), friends again so

Goggs
18/02/2011, 6:28 AM
[QUOTE=Goggs;1454051]

Ok goggs this time we'll let slide :-), friends again so

:D

youghal
21/02/2011, 10:20 PM
Hi all,new here and it all looks like quite a bit of fun.Having played MSL for 15years and now a supporter,I'm looking forward to getting all the news.

No surprise my 1st post will be about the big story as far as I'm concerned,the mighty Youghal United's run to the quarters. After giving Shamrock Rovers a lesson at home,I was disappointed not to be able to make the trip to Greystones but it was by all accounts a very good game.Our victory made all the more impressive as we were missing 2,including our centre back and captain who was replaced by an 18 year old and had a 15 year old!!!!!!!!! up front,who bagged 2 goals!!!!!!!. Game changed inside first 2 minutes of 2nd half.Leading 1-0,we conceded a pen within 30secs of restart,but our keeper David Kearns came up with a big save(he has a habit of big pen saves,he also did it in Beamish Cup final at 2-1 up against Marys),from his resulting clearance young bobby Donoghue made it 2-0 and later added his 2nd,youghals 3rd,to all but finish the game.Youghal have a very strong starting line up with some good experience(Paul Moylan,Sean Kenneally,David Kearns have all been in MSL long time since Youghal were in the Prem) but lack any real depth so its good to see kids like Bobby coming thru.There was also two 16year olds on the bench who didn't get game time but future looks bright after dismal few years.If anyone has any info on Sacred Heart it would be much appreciated as we look to reach the semi's and a meeting with one of the big guns.

Thanks for indulging me and my sense of pride in my club,we might not be a force anymore but we continue to show we can punch above our weight.

Clifford
22/02/2011, 10:04 AM
Fair play your club Youghal. What a cup run and long may it continue.

villaman10
22/02/2011, 1:19 PM
great to see youghal getting a good cup run!! what has gone wrong over the years?? were a prem division side for a long time, seemed to go wrong all of a sudden!! good to see ye back on the up!!

youghal
22/02/2011, 2:04 PM
Well I can tell ya where it all went wrong villaman,lack of talent coming through.unlike some other teams,Youghal are one of the remaining clubs that like to use "homegrown" players and there has been a serious lack of good youths comin through until now.Bobby Donoghue at 15 is making quite an impact and with a bench full of teenagers it points to a bright future if the management look after them and introduce them slowly

villaman10
22/02/2011, 4:46 PM
Well I can tell ya where it all went wrong villaman,lack of talent coming through.unlike some other teams,Youghal are one of the remaining clubs that like to use "homegrown" players and there has been a serious lack of good youths comin through until now.Bobby Donoghue at 15 is making quite an impact and with a bench full of teenagers it points to a bright future if the management look after them and introduce them slowly

well fair play to ye!! but ye not be able to throw yer'e net a bit wider?? surely there are some players playing in the red house league that could benifet your'e team!! i hear inch are doing well this year!! sometimes you just need 1/2 players to help, and as you are probably aware their was 3/4 of ye're players playing with leeside last year, did ye get them all back??

youghal
22/02/2011, 8:55 PM
na we play red house league teams on a regular friendly basis and regularly thump them.The game consists of us battering their goalmouth and them hoofing balls clear and realisticly there is no point bringing in 1/2 average players that will stunt the growth of the younger players.

No Ken Dempsey and Mickey Doo started the season with us(2maybe 3 games) but have retired due to a visit from old father time :P.We basically have a strong keeper,defence and spine to the team and developing some talent along the way.Maybe push for promotion next season.It's possible this season but in my opinion it would be a year too soon.

Goggs
23/02/2011, 6:40 AM
Wecome to the forum Youghal great to see ye on such a cup run against all the odds but down through the years ye always had the ability to upset teams take the Beamish cup a few years ago.Great to hear theirs good youngfellas coming through,that combined with your top facilities the future is looking bright after some tough years,I know Mick Durkin and your committee have been working hard for this over the last couple of seasons.

footiefanatic
23/02/2011, 11:59 PM
Back to coming weekend, just wondering how Rockmount are fixed for coming clash vs Crumlin??
I fancy Crumlin myself, didnt they beat Rockmount in Rockmount park 2-0 last season, have a feeling we could be in for a repeat result, as i feel the rockmount team of last year was actually stronger than the one they have this year, judging on performances.

Glenbuck
24/02/2011, 9:03 PM
Back to coming weekend, just wondering how Rockmount are fixed for coming clash vs Crumlin??
I fancy Crumlin myself, didnt they beat Rockmount in Rockmount park 2-0 last season, have a feeling we could be in for a repeat result, as i feel the rockmount team of last year was actually stronger than the one they have this year, judging on performances.
Mount are fixed ok for Sunday. It is a replay after all. Nothing between teams in first game. All down to 90 minutes on Sunday. Looking forward to it. Crumlin have a changed team from last year as well. Roll on Sunday.

Goggs
25/02/2011, 3:19 PM
Hey Glenbuck read the star during the week nearly fell off my chair did I see Big Montgomary playing with Irish amatures,if so how in gods name did ye pull that one off.

Reznik
26/02/2011, 12:53 AM
na we play red house league teams on a regular friendly basis and regularly thump them.The game consists of us battering their goalmouth and them hoofing balls clear and realisticly there is no point bringing in 1/2 average players that will stunt the growth of the younger

Welcome youghal! What a run ye are havin in the intermediate cup but not surprising werent ye in the fai cup against UCD a couple of years back! Hopefully ye will get back to 1st/Prem status in the near future because it is nice to see non-city teams in the big league! Do you reckon the GAA success in the last couple of years (junior and intermediate championships under billy hayes) has disrupted the football growth in the town?

Glenbuck
26/02/2011, 1:27 PM
Hey Glenbuck read the star during the week nearly fell off my chair did I see Big Montgomary playing with Irish amatures,if so how in gods name did ye pull that one off.
If you read it correctly you would have seen it was a trial game. Gerry Smith casting his net. Cant understand some people. For years it was all Dublin now a young fella gets a chance and you are still not happy.

Billynomates
27/02/2011, 8:40 AM
Your right glenbuck. Hopefully more players like him get a chance.He has made a nice progression since from junior to senior. Hopefully many more to come and more cork players. Best of luck today.

Glenbuck
27/02/2011, 3:44 PM
Rockmount 0 Crumlin 1.
Bad day at the office. Poor conditions,poor match and poor performance by home side. Missed penalty just before break did no favours. None of the keepers had anything to do which just about sums up the game. Dont think Midleton gaffer will have learned too much about winning team.

FairBall
27/02/2011, 3:57 PM
Rockmount 0:1 Crumlin.
There was a big wind blowing which prevented any real neat football being played. First half saw much of the game being played in Crumlins half however Rockmount didnt create any real clear cut chances. Rockmount did however win a penalty five minutes before the break but they failed to convert it. I was appalled to see the lackidaisical attitude of the Rockmount players when none of them followed in the shot which was saved by the keepers feet. The second half was much of the same, boring to watch, but Crumlin began to creep into the game a little more, now playing with the wind (which made a big difference). The Crumlin centre midfielder (n.8) capitalised on a defensive error and carryed the ball to the edge of the area and finnished superbly with a low shot back across the keeper. Poor enough game really, made worse by the Crumlin bench who moaned about everything that happened from start to finnish.

villaman10
27/02/2011, 4:13 PM
I think the Rockmount bench were probably as guilty as the Crumlin bench with regards complaining at decisions but I think thats part and parcel with a game of that importance. Poor game Rockmount had two great chances in the form of the penalty and the line clearance overall Crumlin probably did play the better football but there was not much between the two sides

Glenbuck
27/02/2011, 9:35 PM
Rockmount 0:1 Crumlin.
There was a big wind blowing which prevented any real neat football being played. First half saw much of the game being played in Crumlins half however Rockmount didnt create any real clear cut chances. Rockmount did however win a penalty five minutes before the break but they failed to convert it. I was appalled to see the lackidaisical attitude of the Rockmount players when none of them followed in the shot which was saved by the keepers feet. The second half was much of the same, boring to watch, but Crumlin began to creep into the game a little more, now playing with the wind (which made a big difference). The Crumlin centre midfielder (n.8) capitalised on a defensive error and carryed the ball to the edge of the area and finnished superbly with a low shot back across the keeper. Poor enough game really, made worse by the Crumlin bench who moaned about everything that happened from start to finnish.Fair comment

Glenbuck
27/02/2011, 9:43 PM
I think the Rockmount bench were probably as guilty as the Crumlin bench with regards complaining at decisions but I think thats part and parcel with a game of that importance. Poor game Rockmount had two great chances in the form of the penalty and the line clearance overall Crumlin probably did play the better football but there was not much between the two sides
Rockmount bench were quiet enough today but in fairness this forum would have a field day with the Crumlin bench if they were playing down here every week. The rest of your forum is spot on. Did you enjoy your tea at half time ???

Goggs
28/02/2011, 8:09 AM
I thought Rockmount were the better side overall horrendous mistake from gaffeney to allow his man to shoot not many clean cut chances from either side should make for a very entertaining match v midleton,and glenbuck i still think monty is pants.

villaman10
28/02/2011, 8:23 AM
Rockmount bench were quiet enough today but in fairness this forum would have a field day with the Crumlin bench if they were playing down here every week. The rest of your forum is spot on. Did you enjoy your tea at half time ???

ha ha i did!! and very reasonable entry fee, €2 for a cup of tea at matches in midleton last time i was down there, probably double that next week for the cup game!!

Glenbuck
28/02/2011, 9:52 AM
I thought Rockmount were the better side overall horrendous mistake from gaffeney to allow his man to shoot not many clean cut chances from either side should make for a very entertaining match v midleton,and glenbuck i still think monty is pants.
PANTS ??? Explain.

Goggs
28/02/2011, 10:30 AM
PANTS ??? Explain.
Its a footballing term for terrible.

Glenbuck
28/02/2011, 10:42 AM
Its a footballing term for terrible.
Nice one. New on me but nice one. As for Monty. Good youngfella who always gives his best.

villaman10
01/03/2011, 2:37 PM
right so lads what do we reckon bout the weekend games? what are the chances of all three teams getting through the next round?? i think midleton will have to win at home to go through, would be a big ask to go up to dublin for a replay, think they might get the result at knockgriffen have they lost at home yet!!! avondale have the no how to get something from their trip to dublin think a draw up there would be a good result for them, and as for mighty youghal.... would you put it past them to take another huge step for the 2nd division??

footiefanatic
01/03/2011, 3:26 PM
right so lads what do we reckon bout the weekend games? what are the chances of all three teams getting through the next round?? i think midleton will have to win at home to go through, would be a big ask to go up to dublin for a replay, think they might get the result at knockgriffen have they lost at home yet!!! avondale have the no how to get something from their trip to dublin think a draw up there would be a good result for them, and as for mighty youghal.... would you put it past them to take another huge step for the 2nd division??

I think Youghal have a great chance, seem to be a proper cup team. Hopefully they can do Cork proud and make it to the semi-finals, which would be a massive achievement for a team mid table in the second division! They seem to have a lot of good young talent coming through the ranks and i think they could cause the home team an upset.
As for midleton, i think cup experience will prove valuable in this tie, with crumlin escaping with a narrow victory. much different game in prospect than the one in Rockmount park, but i think they should have enough quality to at least bring the tie back to dublin, if not finish it out all together. Pretty sure Midleton lost at home to UCC in the league already.
As for Avondale, they are in for a tough tie, but as they have done so many times in the past, i think they will escape with a draw and put away bluebell down in avondale park.

Glenbuck
01/03/2011, 3:29 PM
What price on 3 draws ??

Reznik
01/03/2011, 4:21 PM
think they might get the result at knockgriffen have they lost at home yet!!!

Beaten by Blarney in one of the cups AET. Still have claimed a few scalps at home this season though. Fancy them to add crumlin to that list aswell. Tight game but perhaps 2-1 midleton.

Nedge
01/03/2011, 5:05 PM
Both Cork teams(Youghal and Midelton) to lose by two clear goals.

footiefanatic
01/03/2011, 5:23 PM
What price on 3 draws ??

http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-matches/ireland-non-league

prices here!
Youghal great price...
wouldnt mind both avondale and youghal to draw

BalagueFC
01/03/2011, 5:40 PM
I would take a draw. Come on the Dale!!!

drummerboy
01/03/2011, 5:47 PM
Sacred Heart are in the 3rd division of LSL. However they have some decent players, some ex LOI and play on a astro pitch which they use to their advantage very well

wesleyBHFC
02/03/2011, 6:11 PM

very negative towards the cork teams NEDGE!!! would not be surprised if both Youghal and Midleton get results this weekend!!! Will be tough!! lets hope for the best!!!

villaman10
02/03/2011, 7:14 PM

sounds like a bit of jealously!! lets hope all ''3 CORK CLUBS'' go through!!

youghal
02/03/2011, 7:15 PM
Well ahead of our game this weekend I see we are 5/2 thanks to footie fanatic and let me tell you all stay well away.Last night I turned up at a friendly in Ardrath Park to see how the lads were doing against the Red House League XI.Before the game started I was informed that our influential midfielder Paul Moylan is out of the Sacred Heart game :(. Well they say bad luck comes in 3's.After 35mins,our keeper Dave Kearns claims a ball rolling through to him and the RHL XI big number 9 makes a crazy lunge for a ball he was never getting.Tempers flared at such a ridiculous challenge in a friendly and once the handbags were put away,we were left with the sight of Kearnsy still on the ground.Disaster!! Kearnsy had to leave the game and lets just say the number 2 is,well,bad.The game ended 4-3 in Youghals favour but it would easily have been 4-0 had Kearnsy been on.The reserve conceded 3 soft goals.Later on last night I text one of the players to find out the condition of Kearnsy and he revealed that the players are at loggerheads with the club and if the match was to be staged tonight they would not be taking to the field :eek:.He went on to say with it being such a big match he thinks both parties will get something sorted before Sunday but hardly ideal preparition I'm sure you will agree.Oh and while in town today I seen Kearnsy's girlfriend park up outside physio and out he came hobbling like an 80year old after a joint replacement :excruciating: . He was too far away for me to talk to him but going by his walk,he will be watching from the sidelines Sunday.As they say,when it rains,it pours