View Full Version : A Championship Promotion

Iorfa2MaccaJim
14/09/2010, 5:47 PM
Hi lads.

How does promotion from the A Championship work ? Is
it done on a Plat- Off basis ?

legendz
14/09/2010, 6:29 PM
The 2 group winners play off for the A Championship title. The highest placed first team club compete in a two-legged play-off against the bottom team in the First Division for the right to play in the First Division, provided they finish in the top 3 of their group.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
14/09/2010, 8:34 PM
Thanks Legendz.

WoodquayBoy
16/09/2010, 12:37 PM
Any idea where I can find updated tables? The ones on the airtricity League site say they were last updated in June, but maybe they are the actual updated ones?

pineapple stu
16/09/2010, 12:43 PM
Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_A_Championship#League_tables)

KevB76
16/09/2010, 1:09 PM
The 2 group winners play off for the A Championship title. The highest placed first team club compete in a two-legged play-off against the bottom team in the First Division for the right to play in the First Division, provided they finish in the top 3 of their group.

What happens if say for example Tullamore and Cobh both finish 3rd in their respective groups - is there a playoff between them before the first div playoff ?
(Not going to happen this year obviusoly as Tullamore not doing great, but I'm just curious).

pineapple stu
16/09/2010, 1:22 PM
I think so, yeah.

WoodquayBoy
16/09/2010, 3:14 PM
Thanks

culloty82
16/09/2010, 5:36 PM
Shamrock Rovers A have snuck into 4th place in their section in recent weeks, so there's still the possibility that there wouldn't be any play-off. As for what would then happen if Mervue/Salthill decided they couldn't survive in the First Division, presumably the highest placed A Championship team would still take their place.

HarpoJoyce
19/09/2010, 11:21 AM
Some nice matches starting from today

19/09 Tralee Dynamos : FC Carlow
W/ending 26th FC Carlow : Cobh Ramblers
W/ending 03rd Cobh Ramblers : Tralee Dynamos

If FC Carlow or Tralee Dynamos win their last four matches that team is top three
If both teams draw their match today and either win their last three matches that team is top three
If they both draw today and each win their last three matches, then its goal difference between them.

In the meantime Cobh Ramblers have 5 points on them, but don't play on the last weekend 10th/11th October.

It would be very unfortunate if none of the three reached the top three in Group 2. Some results just need to go to form and it's a shoe-in for the successful first team club.

gufcfan
19/09/2010, 3:24 PM
As for what would then happen if Mervue/Salthill decided they couldn't survive in the First Division, presumably the highest placed A Championship team would still take their place.
Looking at Mervue and Devon from the outside, playing in the league is strangling them financially, but they'll keep going for another season if they can, imo.

culloty82
19/09/2010, 5:27 PM
Carlow after winning 4-2 at Dynamos today, so Tralee realistically out of it, and Carlow (21) v Cobh (23) next week looks like a very tasty tie. The Leinster side may well be favourites with their Bray game in hand.

legendz
27/09/2010, 4:00 PM
The A Championship is a messy format. It's better than having nothing there like before but the FAI have a lot of work to do with it.

Dodge
27/09/2010, 4:12 PM
The A Championship is a messy format. It's better than having nothing there like before but the FAI have a lot of work to do with it.

The format is fine. Its the haphazard attitude to fixtures and information that's the problem

Topman
27/09/2010, 4:49 PM
This result will make things a bit more clearer for all

FC Carlow 0
Cobh 2

Game played Saturday 25th September

outspoken
27/09/2010, 5:33 PM
so basically cobh are coming up if they beat salthill/mervue

culloty82
27/09/2010, 6:24 PM
so basically cobh are coming up if they beat salthill/mervue

Yes, they just need a draw Saturday to absolutely clinch third, but unless Rovers win both their matches, Cobh are definitely in the play-off.

legendz
27/09/2010, 6:34 PM
At least this Southern pool was competitive this year, the Northern pool had been the more competitive before this season. Cobh are doing well to get themselves on the brink of a return to Division One. Carlow or Tralee making it soon will be great for the league and could encourage more regions to join the league.

FlapjackJoe
28/09/2010, 9:50 AM

To be honest, what more can they do? I'm sure the FAI want more teams to join the A Championship, there's just not a lot of clubs that can afford higher travel expenses etc., which comes with being involved in a national league. I do think advertising the A Championship a bit more might help raise awareness and boost crowds, most people getting results and fixtures from a forum rather than up-to-date information on the official site is a bit of a joke.

legendz
28/09/2010, 10:48 AM
The LoI site is terrible, it's like the A Championship has gone down a list of priorities at the moment. I agree there is the issue of travel costs for a national league, especially for any new clubs. The A Championship is split North and South though which is surely a help. Hopefully in the next few season clubs will join from Kildare, Meath, Clare and Tipperary, making it more of a national league. Kilkenny, Laois and Cavan have higher populations than Carlow who are giving it a go. Long-term the goal should be the creation of a Division Two.

kerryfan
28/09/2010, 3:25 PM
Yes, they just need a draw Saturday to absolutely clinch third, but unless Rovers win both their matches, Cobh are definitely in the play-off.If Cobh finish 2nd and if Carlow make 3rd which I think is possibile then both those teams must play off to see who plays Merve or Salthill.

pineapple stu
28/09/2010, 3:29 PM
If they're in the same group though, isn't it just the higher team in the group goes through to the play-off?

Otherwise you could have the top three all being non-reserve teams, and then they'd have to have a mad big play-off between them.

legendz
28/09/2010, 3:34 PM
From Wiki: The 2 group winners play off for the A Championship title. The highest placed first team club compete in a two-legged play-off against the bottom team in the First Division for the right to play in the First Division, provided they finish in the top 3 of their group.

pineapple stu
28/09/2010, 3:45 PM
Yeah; so to decide whether third in one group is higher than second in the other group, I think there has to be a play-off between those two first. But second in one group is self-evidently better than third in the same group, so no need for a play-off there.

legendz
28/09/2010, 4:18 PM
Division One clubs should be keeping an eye on the A Championship for talent.

realcelt
28/09/2010, 4:23 PM
Yeah; so to decide whether third in one group is higher than second in the other group, I think there has to be a play-off between those two first. But second in one group is self-evidently better than third in the same group, so no need for a play-off there.
There is a notion that because there is no first team in the top 3 in Group 1,that they dont differ between 2nd and 3rd place in Group 2,meaning there would b a playoff between these 2 teams.

legendz
28/09/2010, 4:37 PM
If Cobh are second and Carlow are 3rd, it'll be Cobh going on to the play-off.
What isn't clear is if a first team makes the top 3 in each group, be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd, would they play-off to see who advance to take on the lowest club in Division One.

culloty82
28/09/2010, 7:33 PM
If Cobh are second and Carlow are 3rd, it'll be Cobh going on to the play-off.
What isn't clear is if a first team makes the top 3 in each group, be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd, would they play-off to see who advance to take on the lowest club in Division One.

From my reading of the Wikipedia page, 1st/2nd place in one group will always trump 3rd in the other, points aren't counted. There would only be a play-off if both teams finished in the same position, i.e. both came first/second/third.

legendz
28/09/2010, 7:46 PM
Ah yes, makes sense and would appear to be the case. As I said before, the format is a bit messy and this is where it gets messy. Still, I guess the best way is to win the group and gain promotion as champion and through the play-off. A league with reserve sides isn't going to be perfect but as an interim league it'll do for now.

FlapjackJoe
29/09/2010, 10:34 AM
From my reading of the Wikipedia page, 1st/2nd place in one group will always trump 3rd in the other, points aren't counted. There would only be a play-off if both teams finished in the same position, i.e. both came first/second/third.

To be honest, I don't really think the Wikipedia page is updated by someone from the FAI. It would've been nice if the A rules of the competition were available on the FAI/LoI website though.

GreenStar
30/09/2010, 3:41 PM
Another question that may affect this whole picture is do Cobh actually want back into the First Division? Was there not a big split within their club not too long ago about whether they should stay A-Championship or not? Maybe I'm confused.

Mr A
30/09/2010, 5:46 PM
I think they want back- but are they yet in a position to meet licensing?

culloty82
30/09/2010, 5:58 PM
If they meet all the criteria on the pitch, surely the FAI would be able to advise them how the examinership could be managed in the First Division?

marty
30/09/2010, 6:47 PM
The majotity if not all people in Cobh would want a return to Div 1,the argument before related to dropping back into the M.S.Leauge. Not too sure weather we meet licencing at this point but did hear last week that the clubs debt had is been managed by a seperate party and the football side of things is been run by a seperate org(possibly the supporters club)

pineapple stu
01/10/2010, 10:09 AM
I think they want back- but are they yet in a position to meet licensing?
Aren't the FAI running Cobh now?

If they can't pass licencing with the FAI in charge, we may as well all pack it in...