PDA

View Full Version : Taoiseach denies being hungover on radio interview

The Fly
14/09/2010, 10:48 AM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0914/fiannafail.html

Yae or Nae? (...or do you care)

pineapple stu
14/09/2010, 11:02 AM
100% don't care. Science ministers promoting creationism is far more of a news story. It'd be typical of the country if a story about drink (how dare he!) were to overshadow it.

drummerboy
14/09/2010, 11:27 AM
He sounded like a man who had been on the razz late into the night and had about an hours sleep. He was definitely slurring his words, as though the effects of the drink hadn't left his system. He is a moron to agree to do an interview in such a state. I don't begrudge any man having a few pints, but to address the nation in such a state in his position is scandalous.

Royal rover
14/09/2010, 11:42 AM
anyone got a link to the interview

Predator
14/09/2010, 11:55 AM
Hungover? That's an improvement!

Seriously though, I think it's very much a non-story. He sounded like every other floundering politician lacking rhetorical skill. In my opinion, whether he was drunk or hungover or just had a sleepless night is irrelevant and the public should be much more concerned with the genuine issues facing them.

Eminence Grise
14/09/2010, 12:18 PM
Just listening to Radio 1... The FFers are coming out to bat for Biffo. Prize for best excuse goes to Tony Killeen, whose contribution makes it clear why he's the Defense minister....

'Twas a bad interview because it took place in the hotel dining room during breakfast and the poor Taoiseach got distracted by the noise and comings and goings.

Obviously, it's not budget cuts but breakfast cutlery that make Biffo break out in a sweat...

centre mid
14/09/2010, 12:43 PM
Complete non-story, any chance either the media or politicans can give us some idea of just how fecked we will be after the budget instead. It would be nice to know if there is anything we can do to soften the blow.

Macy
14/09/2010, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure it is a non-story - it shows poor judgement to agree to do the interview, and then be late and be slurring you words. On Morning Ireland. The most damning part for me wasn't the mistake about the Croke Park Agreement, but the state of the laugh after making it.

Even if it is being overblown, then anything that has the potential to get them out can only be a good thing for the state. It would be typical if it was being hungover that brought them down, rather than what they've done to the economy.

bennocelt
14/09/2010, 1:06 PM
Im waiting for the you tube parodies........

OneRedArmy
14/09/2010, 1:07 PM
Surely just an extension of a wider rumour thats being doing the rounds literally since the day he took over office?

total hoofball
14/09/2010, 1:18 PM
People dismissing this as a non-story are missing the point of the story

There has been speculation for a few years now that Cowen aswell as Mary Harney like to have a few drinks

Today's interview was a vivid snapshot of that

This from the same man who when he was Minister for Finance did not notice that this country had a blatant property bubble and banking crisis on his hands

From the same man who under his leadership has spectacularly failed to tackle a banking, economic and fiscal crisis that is getting worse after 2 years and is likely to bankrupt the state in some form

The man isn't fit to run an off-licence let alone a country......

EAFC_rdfl
14/09/2010, 1:18 PM
anyone got a link to the interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVXvmcN_JKE

what a picture ;)

total hoofball
14/09/2010, 1:28 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/15cc4rk.jpghttp://www.mulley.net/2008images/BrianCowan1.pnghttp://www.mulley.net/2008images/BrianCowan3.png

Do you want a man like this leading your country when it's on its knees?

Predator
14/09/2010, 1:30 PM
People dismissing this as a non-story are missing the point of the storyWhat is the point of the story then? That he's not fit to run the country? We don't need a speculative story suggesting that he may have been hungover to tell us that. Non-story.

Spudulika
14/09/2010, 1:31 PM
No show like a Joe show! Such nonsense from everyone - nobody has ever done anything bad, or else "ah sure, it's just how it is". I think there'll be a position for a new press officer with FF!!!

I remember back in 1992 being down in a pub in Clara and the man himself coming in well after hours and having more than a few scoops. If I were Taosieach I think I'd be onto the absinthe or head to Switzerland for a dose of euthanasia!

osarusan
14/09/2010, 1:34 PM
He sounds like he has a cold, and he's unwilling to commit to a specific number on budget cuts. Words slurred at times, but unless you'd told me he was hungover, I don't think I'd have reached that conclusion that he was hungover. I'd have said he was tired and had a cold. And even if he was hungover, my initial reaction is, 'so what?'

If I wanted to criticise something, I'd focus on his lack of clarity on pretty much anything he talked about (which is pretty much what Noonan said).

pineapple stu
14/09/2010, 1:43 PM
Do you want a man like this leading your country when it's on its knees?
Have you got an actual point? Shock as Irish person may have had a drink or two. So what? That of itself certainly doesn't indicate his fitness or oterwise for his job, which is how you've tried to portray it.

Mr A
14/09/2010, 1:47 PM
Just listened to it.. he didn't sound that bad (in terms of drunkenness) to be honest, although the Good Friday Agreement bit was mad. More like a head cold than anything.

I still suspect he's been drunk for the past decade though.

dfx-
14/09/2010, 1:56 PM
The situation is hopeless - the inescapable truth is that no matter how much he or anyone drinks, he's still from Offaly.

Charlie Darwin
14/09/2010, 3:29 PM
It's nonsense - exact same thing was brought up this day last year: http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/102766-brian-cowen-hangover-interview-15-sept-2009-a.html

The fact is that Cowen doesn't speak well. He's overweight and has big fat cheeks which make talking a laboured experience for him and as a result he'll always sound a bit drunk. He didn't sound any worse than usual to me today.

bennocelt
14/09/2010, 4:15 PM
People dismissing this as a non-story are missing the point of the story

There has been speculation for a few years now that Cowen aswell as Mary Harney like to have a few drinks

Hardly a crime in Ireland

dahamsta
14/09/2010, 4:17 PM
If it's ok to crow about how wonderful he was when he talked without notes a couple of years ago, something that some people likened to climbing Everest for some bizarre reason, it's ok to highlight him sounding hungover or drunk in circumstances when he very likely actually was. In my book.

Aberdonian Stu
14/09/2010, 10:00 PM
It sounded like serious nasal congestion to me. I get some fierce bad colds because of my sinuses being a tad **** and it sounded an awful lot like that.

dahamsta
14/09/2010, 10:04 PM
Up until 3am doing impressions by all accounts: http://www.mamanpoulet.com/the-silly-season-is-over/

We all need to unwind, but didn't the yellow pants do enough damage?

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00177/leaders2_177301t.jpg

gaiscĂ­och
14/09/2010, 10:17 PM
Considering they have a 12 week break in which to get bladdered and do whatever the hell he wants, along with the fact he is one of the highest paid leaders in the world and raping our pockets of every last cent.
The least he can do is show up sober.

I don't know about you all but I pay part of his wages and the least I expect from him is to respect us enough to not insult us by coming on the radio half cut.

If he wants a pint no problem but don't do not go on the radio the morning after laughing like a giddy school girl after making a mistake.

I want my money back.
Not just because of this but he turned a blind eye when he needed to be fully focused just before the collapse.
450,000 people on the dole cue would show up for work sober.

Fr Damo
15/09/2010, 7:19 AM
They say it was an error of judgement to have gone in to the interview....... So how many interviwes has he avoided (or advised to miss out on) cos he was nasel (hung over) previously. Apparently the reason he was on the radio was because the suits from Leinster house (his aids) we not in Galway as it was a FF do and not Government. In otherwords he bad made decision.

I heard 29/09/08 was a great night in Coppers......... Emm....... I wonder!!

OneRedArmy
15/09/2010, 8:05 AM
We can't claim its part of our national heritage to have a rake of pints and stay up most of the night having the craic and then get upset when the global media pick up on the story and portray us a bunch of drunken layabouts.

My tuppenceworth is that it shows how out of touch politics is.

dahamsta
15/09/2010, 8:08 AM
More from Maman Poulet on this: http://www.mamanpoulet.com/its-nothing-to-do-with-simon-coveney-bless-him/

pineapple stu
15/09/2010, 8:19 AM
Today's Daily Mail screaming about how he was singing Lakes of Ponchartrain till late at night. String him up, I say!

Mr A
15/09/2010, 10:40 AM
There are various points here:

This 'think-in' is meant to be FF getting together and seriously analysing how the main party of government will lead the country out of the incredible mess it is currently in. How much real work would any of those who were up until 3.30 in the morning drinking be able to do the following day? How many could really have engaged fully with the presentation from NAMA for example? In the FF priority list A good party > National recovery.

Regardless of whether he was actually drunk or hung over, the interview was a pile of incoherent crap. Some of it was reminiscent of Bertie answering questions in the Dail. Cowen hides from the media most of the time, you'd think he's make some sort of effort to be prepared when he finally surfaces. Especially when the Freefall programme had pointed the finger of blame directly at the government only the night before.

Attacking Coveney is stupid. The whole country was awash with texts and messages about how Cowen sounded awful. Coveney only said what many, many people were thinking and saying. For FF to pretend otherwise is an insult to our intelligence and yet another example of everything being someone else's fault.

FF constantly give out about people talking down the country. Nobody has done a better job of doing so than Cowen yesterday morning. He made us look utterly stupid around the world. As did Conor Lenihen, the total plonker.

dahamsta
15/09/2010, 10:49 AM
This 'think-in' is meant to be FF getting together and seriously analysing how the main party of government will lead the country out of the incredible mess it is currently in. How much real work would any of those who were up until 3.30 in the morning drinking be able to do the following day? How many could really have engaged fully with the presentation from NAMA for example? In the FF priority list A good party > National recovery.

This was my first thought.

Attacking Coveney is stupid.Absolutely, except politically. The party has to distract from the state he was in, and the garbage he was spouting; and it remains to be seen if the meeja will allow themselves to be distracted - again - or finally cop themselves on and focus on the real story here.

And Coveney did himself no favours by highlighting it the way he did. Simon is fast becoming his own worst enemy, every time he opens his mouth he reduces his own chances of becoming party leader.

FF constantly give out about people talking down the country. Nobody has done a better job of doing so than Cowen yesterday morning. He made us look utterly stupid around the world. As did Conor Lenihen, the total plonker.

Martin's comments this morning are interesting, they come across as much an attack on Cowen as Coveney. Is he preparing for an attack?

Eminence Grise
15/09/2010, 12:15 PM

That's very unfair. Clearly FF have decided that the route to national recovery is to give its full support to the Vintners. And I applaud them for their self-sacrifice. It's no easy job to skull pints all night, and pretend to enjoy Biffo's impressions. Although I thought his spoof as an Offaly Darth Vader yesterday was just the tonic to drive us all to drink (well, thanks to Noel Dempsey walk very carefully or take public transport), and so save our economy from sinking further into the mire.

Actually, I'm a little taken aback that people (in general, not here) really believe the think-in was a coming together of the finest minds in FF (surely an oxymoron?) to solve our economic problems. What planet are they on? It was the political equivalent of giving the troops a tot of rum before sending them over the top to be blasted into oblivion. FF are facing meltdown, and this was a panicky, boozy meeting of their branch of the Self Preservation Society.

Dahmsta, you're dead right about Coveney. He puts the "twit" in twitter. He's a privileged, never-had-to-work-a-day in his life prat. Michael Noonan's response was much better: he just said that Cowen had clearly had a late night, which was a very obvious euphemism, and a very subtle way of putting the boot in, and then he took the content of the interview to pieces.

centre mid
15/09/2010, 2:54 PM
I say fair to Cowan he at least he is trying to help the economy. (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0913/breaking15.html) He is taking a decisive action at last.

The Fly
15/09/2010, 4:32 PM

Noelys Guitar
15/09/2010, 9:59 PM
I've an "offaly" sore throat is the new "tired and emotional".

strangeirish
16/09/2010, 12:14 AM
Galway Session (http://foot.ie/threads/34813-YouTube-Google-Video-Thread?p=1401315&viewfull=1#post1401315)
:messed:

Spudulika
16/09/2010, 12:02 PM
After watching the Prime Time "discussion" on El Biffo, it's a major way to deflect from the mess FF and the pale Greens have landed us in. It looks like there is an ousting on the cards for Cowen, and you know, he should just step aside, let some eejit take over and see what they can do. It's a complete circus, agreed with the thoughts on Coveney, Noonan hit the right note, then again, he's an intelligent man and skilful politician, Coveney is the Tubridy of politics, there because of connections and making a fool of his employers.

Predator
16/09/2010, 6:53 PM
After watching the Prime Time "discussion" on El Biffo, it's a major way to deflect from the mess FF and the pale Greens have landed us in.Deflect? I'm not so sure. Surely most sane people will have to consider that there is a mess, but also take into account that Cowen's perceived hi-jinx and antics do nothing to inspire confidence.

It's a complete circus...
Absolutely. We've heard Cowen admit to it. He's talked about being "long enough in the game" and his "performance" before.

Spudulika
17/09/2010, 11:53 AM
Deflect? I'm not so sure. Surely most sane people will have to consider that there is a mess, but also take into account that Cowen's perceived hi-jinx and antics do nothing to inspire confidence.

Absolutely. We've heard Cowen admit to it. He's talked about being "long enough in the game" and his "performance" before.

Predator, I should have explained deflect - the government do this all the time (all governments do) something will be leaked out quietly, while much ado about nothing occurs. We were hit a double whammy - Lenihan and the anti-evolutionists, Biffo on the beer. If you sift through the news you'll find something of far greater consequence that was dropped under the radar, and I am pretty sure the media would be complicit in it.

osarusan
17/09/2010, 2:45 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0917/breaking19.html

Cowen will be more 'cautious' in the future.

Funny how, when the attempt to shift focus onto Coveney and the 'new low' didn't work, he's suddenly decided he was at fault after all.

Predator
17/09/2010, 5:32 PM
Predator, I should have explained deflect - the government do this all the time (all governments do) something will be leaked out quietly, while much ado about nothing occurs. We were hit a double whammy - Lenihan and the anti-evolutionists, Biffo on the beer. If you sift through the news you'll find something of far greater consequence that was dropped under the radar, and I am pretty sure the media would be complicit in it.Yeah, I misunderstood.

TheBoss
21/09/2010, 12:05 AM
http://www.twitvid.com/TTZ3Q

Seems to attracting peoples attention on other forums, it was at the end of The Frontline. Some say it is Anti-FF.

Noelys Guitar
27/09/2010, 10:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRZvERI5nf8&feature=player_embedded Cowen mentioned on Leno show. Christ!

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2010, 12:25 PM
The insane thing is that I still think Leno is a bigger ass than Cowen.

OneRedArmy
28/09/2010, 12:00 PM
The insane thing is that I still think Leno is a bigger ass than Cowen.Two of the physically largest heads in the world certainly.

Leno looks like the real version of Buzz Lightyear, whilst Cowan is the spit of Mr Potatohead.

To infinity (debt levels) and beyond.....