PDA

View Full Version : U17 World Cup - V Ghana Live

Pages : [1] 2

geysir
13/09/2010, 9:11 PM
Trinidad :island: Scarborough 23:00 GMT

Does that means midnight in Ireland?

Streaming live and legal from FIFA (http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/livecoverage/index.html)

rebelmusic
13/09/2010, 9:14 PM
Nope means 22:00 in Ireland

DannyInvincible
13/09/2010, 9:19 PM
I think I read on RTÉ the other day that this kicks off at midnight Irish time. Irish Standard Time (Summer) is GMT+1. If proof is needed, you'll see that the game hasn't started yet. :p

rebelmusic
13/09/2010, 9:43 PM
This is what happens when i try to determine GMT from cairo! The clock here changes due to religion haha, cant even blame it on the farmers

DannyInvincible
13/09/2010, 10:51 PM
Teams about to come out now. There was a little graphic displayed on screen a second ago; the temperature is 30°C.

DannyInvincible
13/09/2010, 11:06 PM
1-0 to Ireland. Free-kick straight into the net from out on the left. I'm not sure if it was intended as a cross or not as it seemed to loop over the keeper. Still, great start.

strangeirish
13/09/2010, 11:37 PM
2 up now!

DannyInvincible
13/09/2010, 11:42 PM
Penalty to Ghana.

DannyInvincible
13/09/2010, 11:44 PM
Penalty put wide of the post. Still 2-0.

geysir
13/09/2010, 11:47 PM
That was an impressive bonecruncher of a tackle for the penalty.

Saving Grace is blessed.

geysir
13/09/2010, 11:51 PM
1-0 to Ireland. Free-kick straight into the net from out on the left. I'm not sure if it was intended as a cross or not as it seemed to loop over the keeper. Still, great start.
Commentator thinks she meant it, so do I after another look.

tricky_colour
14/09/2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks fro the link I thought I had missed it, it says 11pm kick off, turns out
I only missed first half.
Plus we are winning 0:2, however I should warn you things have a terrible
habit of going wrong as soon as I start watching ;)

geysir
14/09/2010, 12:10 AM
Not even you can jinx these girls.

Brazil are 2 up against Canada.
As it stands, they would top the group on goals scored.

tricky_colour
14/09/2010, 12:28 AM
Not even you can jinx these girls.

Brazil are 2 up against Canada.
As it stands, they would top the group on goals scored.

Wanna bet I was making something to eat and as soon as I came back in
and started watching they nearly scored twice!!
That near post show and the one that was cleared off the line
(I thiought it had gone in and bounced out!!)

tricky_colour
14/09/2010, 12:30 AM
See what I mean, another one in the back of the net.
IF they score a real one I am switching off untill the 90!!

tricky_colour
14/09/2010, 12:34 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!11

what a shot!!

geysir
14/09/2010, 12:35 AM
These girls don't do ordinary goals.

tricky_colour
14/09/2010, 12:50 AM
"the refereree may blow her watch any second now!!" :)

geysir
14/09/2010, 12:50 AM
Brazil only score 2 from 30 shots on goal.
ireland top the group

strangeirish
14/09/2010, 12:51 AM
Brilliant stuff. Well done there girls!

geysir
14/09/2010, 12:54 AM
Those girls can scream.

tricky_colour
14/09/2010, 1:22 AM
Lol it was funny when one screamed into the camera :)

blue til i die
14/09/2010, 1:46 AM
Lol it was funny when one screamed into the camera :)

Haha, trust that to be one of the girls from waterford :D

Great performance overall, but seriously, do they know how to score simple goals at all? they only seem to score unbelievable goals!

I thought i had gone crazy when i heard the "the referee may blow her watch any second now" bit, thank god someone else heard it :D

EastTerracer
14/09/2010, 2:04 AM
Well done girls! Fantastic achievement to top the group. Japan in the quarter-final on Friday.

Billsthoughts
14/09/2010, 5:49 PM
goals just on the news there. were quality. fair play to them.

tricky_colour
14/09/2010, 7:14 PM
Goals here
http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/highlights/video/video=1302052/index.html
Not sure if the first one was a cross, but great goals nonetheless, the
third one, well you wouldn't even think you could score from there!

Sullivinho
15/09/2010, 2:23 AM
Great to see an Irish team leaving Brazil in their wake. :ball: Bring on the Japanese. Although the Germans (and their 22 goals in 3 games) cut an ominous shape on the horizon..

gastric
15/09/2010, 8:28 AM
Can't get the above link to work. Anybody got a different link? I 'd love to see what all the excitement is about!

geysir
15/09/2010, 9:21 AM
Probably because the highlights are available on the FIFA website they are not available elsewhere.
Try another browser.

Everybody should have a look at these highlights, 3 goals, as good as any that have ever been scored for us, at any level.

pineapple stu
15/09/2010, 9:27 AM
Great goals alright, though the Ghana keeper was horrifically bad. Her effort for the third reminded me of playing jumpers for goalposts, where the crossbar was only as high as you could reach, so you bent over backwards to make it look like a super effort while simultaneously lowering the "bar" for yourself.

geysir
15/09/2010, 10:59 AM
The 2nd and 3rd goals would have beaten most goalkeepers at that level. In particular she had no chance with the 3rd goal.

She is small. At full stretch she can't reach the crossbar. No matter her positioning, a ball at full pelt (like the free kick) dropping under the crossbar, has a very good chance of going in.
Though she did just about manage a one handed save against such a ball in their game against Brazil.

pineapple stu
15/09/2010, 11:08 AM
She is small. At full stretch she can't reach the crossbar.
Probably, and I'm not trying to take away from the strikes - they were excellent. And yeah, at that level, they'd have beaten most keepers I'm sure. Just as a keeper myself occasionally, it's kind of obvious that her attempts to save are the valiant stick-both-hands-out-but-close-your-eyes attempts which get so much stick in the schoolyard.

geysir
15/09/2010, 11:12 AM
The ball was already past her when her arms went backwards.
It is similar to the dive you make when the ball has already beaten you, a dive of despair.

pineapple stu
15/09/2010, 11:28 AM
Ah no, it's not. Seriously. I've been there myself; you stick your hands up, hope the ball will hit them and you'll be a hero and then don't see it sail miles over you and into the net.

geysir
15/09/2010, 11:51 AM
I suggest that you have a false memory about your past goalkeeping ability and about how close you were to actually saving such shots.
Much more likely the reality is, that the ball was probably well nestled in the back of the net before you began your wave, i.e. if you even had a net at that level.
:)

pineapple stu
15/09/2010, 11:55 AM
Yes, we have nets in the UCD Superleague, thanks.

If any UCD player had hit those three strikes, I'd be raving. If our keeper had made those attempts to save (bar the first one really), I'd be looking to string him up. And I'll leave it there so we can get back to the topic.

geysir
15/09/2010, 12:04 PM
Earlier I wrote that our keeper had a 'safe pair of hands - just what you need at this level'.

From what I have seen of the games, she gets into good classic goalkeeping positions to scoop the ball up safely. Just look at how many goals are scored or danger-here moments, after the ball rebounds of the goalies hands in these games.
The Ghana goalkeeper has anything but a safe pair of hands.

tricky_colour
15/09/2010, 9:38 PM
Can't get the above link to work. Anybody got a different link? I 'd love to see what all the excitement is about!

It uses Adobe Flash player so you need that.
Also I am not sure it is available in every country, I seem to recall seeing a list of countries, I recall USA was not on it.
Maybe it is not available in Australia?

geysir
15/09/2010, 10:07 PM
I think live streams are blocked in some countries but the highlights are not blocked

geysir
16/09/2010, 10:36 AM
RTE will be streaming the 1/4 final Vs Japan, but it will probably be blocked to foreign ISPs.
There might be some more stream links available on my2p (http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports), but so far they have just offered the FIFA links.

Stuttgart88
16/09/2010, 1:26 PM
Yes, we have nets in the UCD Superleague, thanks.

If any UCD player had hit those three strikes, I'd be raving. If our keeper had made those attempts to save (bar the first one really), I'd be looking to string him up. And I'll leave it there so we can get back to the topic.

Were you actually a superleague keeper? Me too, in my past life. Won it in 1987. More satisfying than my degree.

Then we took our Superleague team into the AUL, won a cup in our first year then we added another team into the LSL and had some success there too.

I got frustrated in nets though, and finished my career as a CB.

pineapple stu
16/09/2010, 1:33 PM
I was, yeah. Tried out for the Superleague team in second year (1998/99). Highlight of my career was half an hour playing for the Inters (then the third team) against the Superleague team cos both reserve keepers had to leave at half-time to go to work. Kept a clean sheet too. :) Team of the Month was the best we ever won; never got our prize for it either.

I actually also finished up outfield; played every position at one stage or another bar maybe left back. Was supposed to go on Erasmus in third year, so we got a replacement keeper, so when I failed my exams, I was in limbo!

Stuttgart88
16/09/2010, 4:11 PM
I trialled for the Crowley Cup team (Irish universities' second teams cup, but UCD entered a Superleague XI at the time), but dropping a corner and a Robert Green moment put paid to that ambition.

pineapple stu
16/09/2010, 4:15 PM
Always the way! When I was trying out for the Freshers, there were a few of us warming up on the next pitch to the trial game. I was saving pretty much everything, even when there were two shots coming in together. Never played as well. Came on in the trial game when we were facing a free kick - straightforward one to the midriff, but I took my eyes off it and the ball squirmed loose and was tapped home. Didn't get recalled!

greendeiseboy
16/09/2010, 5:00 PM
just a bit confused here - is the game on tonight at 12am or tomorrow night at 12am - if you know what I mean:confused:

Stuttgart88
16/09/2010, 6:11 PM
Always the way! When I was trying out for the Freshers, there were a few of us warming up on the next pitch to the trial game. I was saving pretty much everything, even when there were two shots coming in together. Never played as well. Came on in the trial game when we were facing a free kick - straightforward one to the midriff, but I took my eyes off it and the ball squirmed loose and was tapped home. Didn't get recalled!I kept a clean sheet in my fresher's trial game, but some guy called Blanker got the gig instead. I'll PM you a funny story...

Sullivinho
17/09/2010, 1:06 AM
Big upset tonight. Favourites Germany knocked out by North Korea. Should we beat the Japanese, they'll be next up.

Charlie Darwin
17/09/2010, 1:54 AM
Aren't NK the defending champions?

bennocelt
17/09/2010, 6:46 AM
Big upset tonight. Favourites Germany knocked out by North Korea. Should we beat the Japanese, they'll be next up.

Not as big a shock as you wud expect considering the Koreans won this thing last time!!!

Also the Japanese wont be easy pushovers, the Asians are good at female football

pineapple stu
17/09/2010, 7:34 AM
just a bit confused here - is the game on tonight at 12am or tomorrow night at 12am - if you know what I mean:confused:
It's tonight, not last night. If that helps!