View Full Version : Ireland Team Vs Poland

BobbyHans
27/04/2004, 3:26 PM
Republic of Ireland (probable):

Given

O’Shea Cunningham Doherty Harte

S Reid Kinsella Miller A Reid

Morrison Lee

According to www.Fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie)

Seems about right considering the withdrawals although I would give douglas a chance in midfield what do we learn from playing Kinsella?

Bowsy
27/04/2004, 3:29 PM
Also Steven Reid starting despite being out so long is a strange one. Looking forward to getting a decent look at what Lee can do as well as a test of Byrne at this level for at least a half.

only1kilbane
27/04/2004, 4:14 PM
Think Steven Reid will be starting just because of his experience compared to most of the lads in the squad . WIll prob only play an hour and be replaced by Douglas i guess

Slash/ED
27/04/2004, 8:25 PM
I hope to god he doesn't think Doherty is a better option at this level than O'Brien.

Otherwise, what I expected. Hope Byrne gets a full half at least.

tiktok
27/04/2004, 9:09 PM
I'd have a back four of.....

Maybury O'Brien Cunningham O'Shea

and i think the rest will pan out as stated. one of the best things about the injury list is that we can forget about worrying about the result and start to get a proper look at a decent few new young players.

It'll be great to get a look at Lee and Miller
Another chance to see A.Reid, O'Brien and Maybury

Hopefully Douglas and Byrne will get a half each as well. Starting to look forward to the game now.

Footie_Fan
27/04/2004, 9:44 PM
I would have prefered to see O'Brien starting but I'm sure he will be on. We will get a good look at Miller, Lee and A Reid in his natural place on the park.

tricky_colour
28/04/2004, 1:17 AM
I am not sure about Lee, 3 goal from 15 starts this season, but we shall
see. He faired better at Rotherham. At 6'2 it will be nice to have two
big men up front for a change.

I suppose you could play Doherty up front and Andy O'Brien at the back
but that wouldn't be ideal for team development I guess.

It will be nice to get a look at Lee anyway, I haven't seen much of him.

Speaking of which the match is on Sky in the UK at 5 pm so it doesn't
clash with an England (or any other) game so I should be able to
watch it down the pub rather than having to listen to a faint radio
signal.

Its a shame the team is ravaged by injury but its also an oppertunity
too, be nice to get another look at A. Reid, Joe Kinnear (and I) reckons he is
worth £10 million :D , I also want a good look at Miller.

It's a good chance to see how strong the team is in depth and for one
or two to put in the kind of performance we expect of them.

I am expecting a big performance form Andy Reid and he is my tip
for first goal scorer, if you are a gambling man!!

Knowing my luck it will end up 0-0 though :rolleyes:

I will have a flutter on a 2:1 win with A. Reid to score first if that bet
is on offer. :) even though I think it will be a tough match, all things
considered.

NeilMcD
28/04/2004, 9:22 AM
yeah it does not clash with england as england are not playing. in relation to O Brien, the reason he is not playing is not because he thinks that Doherty is better its because he has had less football and he does not want to over play O Brien. At this stage of the season its about doing the correct thing by club and country. The Art of international management is to keep all club managers onside without it having a negative effect on your own side. It is pointless getting there backs up over a Poland away international in April as when it comes the time for a favour in september you may not be listened to.

eirebhoy
28/04/2004, 9:50 AM
yeah it does not clash with england as england are not playing. in relation to O Brien, the reason he is not playing is not because he thinks that Doherty is better its because he has had less football and he does not want to over play O Brien. At this stage of the season its about doing the correct thing by club and country. The Art of international management is to keep all club managers onside without it having a negative effect on your own side. It is pointless getting there backs up over a Poland away international in April as when it comes the time for a favour in september you may not be listened to.
O'Brien is suspended for 3 matches anyway.

Slash/ED
28/04/2004, 12:16 PM
Exactly. If anything, he could do with the match pratice.

Bowsy
28/04/2004, 1:11 PM
According to elevan-a-side Kerr is unsure of his best options in defense.

Brian Kerr has admitted that it is the centre of defence that was given him his most difficult decision as he mulls over his starting line-up for Wednesday evening’s friendly against Poland.

The Irish boss has already confirmed that Liam Miller will make his first start in midfield, while Alan Lee is almost certain to do likewise in attack.

Kenny Cunningham will skipper the team from the centre of defence, but the identity of his partner has set Kerr a few posers.

Newcastle United’s Andy O’Brien, impressive against Brazil before pulling out of the squad to face the Czech Republic, is one option, while Gary Doherty of Spurs put in a solid 70 minutes before succumbing to injury against the Czechs, and also offered plenty of threat from setpieces, sending one powerful header crashing against the post during that game.

The defensive options is one area that hasn’t suffered unduly from the spate of withdrawals since the squad was announced last week, and Kerr said: "I have to take everything into account. Andy has had an awful lot of matches lately, Gary hasn’t had so many but has still had a lot. I have to figure that one out for the wellbeing of both players. Andy, it is fair to say, was up in the man of the match category against Brazil and in the game against the Czech Republic, Gary played very, very well."

eirebhoy
28/04/2004, 2:10 PM
Republic of Ireland (probable):

Given

O’Shea Cunningham Doherty Harte

S Reid Kinsella Miller A Reid

Morrison Lee

That's the official team. I think every site and newspaper got it correct.

ElSieteSecretos
28/04/2004, 2:31 PM
maybe the injury list is not such a bad thing, now there is the oppurtunities for the yonger players to demonstrate what they can achieve at this high level.

One Brian Kerr
28/04/2004, 2:44 PM
Looking forward to this match, everyone bar Given and Cunningham need to prove themselves before the qualifers

Bowsy
28/04/2004, 2:54 PM
Injuries are a blessing in disguise in my opinion. Clinton, Lee, Andy Reid and Miller will be important to Ireland if we are to have a good qualifying campaign so it's a great opportunity for them to prove themselves.

tricky_colour
28/04/2004, 6:01 PM
I am expecting a big performance form Andy Reid and he is my tip
for first goal scorer, if you are a gambling man!!

Knowing my luck it will end up 0-0 though :rolleyes:

I will have a flutter on a 2:1 win with A. Reid to score first if that bet
is on offer. :) even though I think it will be a tough match, all things
considered.

Well I didn't get a chance to place a bet and if I had had one it should
have been on the 0-0 my head said, rather than the 2:1 my heart
wanted. (I prefer big odds too and 0-0 is only about 6-1.

With hindsite the game had 0-0 written all over it, I didn't get to see it
as the pub was being refitted, but it didn't sound like I was missing much!