PDA

View Full Version : Matthews Return

outspoken
10/09/2010, 4:16 PM
So Saturday night the messiah returns should be a good night but id be delighted with a point and a good performance to go with it have a felling hynes might score what the rest of ye reckon?

Martinho II
10/09/2010, 5:58 PM
So Saturday night the messiah returns should be a good night but id be delighted with a point and a good performance to go with it have a felling hynes might score what the rest of ye reckon?

I think a draw would be good too.. Not only but Alan Mathews will be back ex town greats Shay Kelly and "Jacko" Smyth are involved with Alan in the background staff too.. It will be good to see Jacko twice in two days!!

Longfordian
10/09/2010, 7:58 PM
Didn't know Shay was working with them, figured Jacko would be alright. It'll be good to see them all in Flancare again. Not expecting to get anything Alan has them motoring lately. A point would be great but a good performance is the starting point.

De Town
10/09/2010, 8:01 PM
Yeah I fancy Shels tomorrow night, evens is a huge price on them. We're decent at home to be fair, but they're flying of late and Mathews has them on a charge to the play offs.

Cabs88
10/09/2010, 10:05 PM
matthews hardly the messiah now in fairness...

As said before hopefully we get a good performance and take it from there, 1-1 draw and i think we'd be happy..

L.T.F.C.
10/09/2010, 10:35 PM
Would never call Matthews the Messiah. Never rated him as a manager, nor did I like the way he had the team set. Still our most successful manager though.

Longfordian
10/09/2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah would be rewriting history to call him the Messiah I personally rated him highly as a manager and his record whilst here was great but he wasn't perfect by any means. In fairness it's like some people call or called Kenny "God" they were managers who did well here and they should be well received when they come back, no more no less.

Cabs88
11/09/2010, 10:23 AM
One point aluded to above was the fact we've had very good managers before, and yes Mathews won the trophies, but no other manager had as much money (or talent) at his disposal while at the club. He already had a decent spine of a team when he signed, and although confidence was low after the play off, we always felt we were better than that. As ive said before i never rated him, I felt he was very naive tactically and had his favourites, regardless of their ability.

The Insider
11/09/2010, 11:57 AM
One point aluded to above was the fact we've had very good managers before, and yes Mathews won the trophies, but no other manager had as much money (or talent) at his disposal while at the club. He already had a decent spine of a team when he signed, and although confidence was low after the play off, we always felt we were better than that. As ive said before i never rated him, I felt he was very naive tactically and had his favourites, regardless of their ability.

Have to totally agree with that. His man management skills were questionable, ask a lot of players about that. Also felt he was quite stubborn in many ways. He left both Cork City and Drogs with a high wage bill when he left them too. Anyway that's in the past, he now manages Shelbourne and will be out to get a result against us. I hope we can continue our usual end of season trend by denting Shels promotion hopes tonight.

outspoken
11/09/2010, 9:07 PM
We were yet again done by the referee and his linesman their 2nd was clearly offside but the defence was a complete shambles tonight and that was all down to Tony Cousins complete lack of tactical knowledge..... wtf was deans playing rb for when victor was on the bench....deans was ripped to shreds all night.....Lester was deadly slow tonight ive got to say for once and the formation was all wrong weve gota try and win our home games.

as for shels very very average tonight they wont be going up and why on earth were their fans not segregated their was nearly a riot, fans in the stand were afraid to leave and thats just wrong. Also Tony G made a huge mistake by announcing that scoreline from waterford vs salthill cause it gave them a huge lift so a very depressing result but the lads did do us proud//////rant over.

L.T.F.C.
11/09/2010, 9:24 PM
We were yet again done by the referee and his linesman their 2nd was clearly offside but the defence was a complete shambles tonight and that was all down to Tony Cousins complete lack of tactical knowledge..... wtf was deans playing rb for when victor was on the bench....deans was ripped to shreds all night.....Lester was deadly slow tonight ive got to say for once and the formation was all wrong weve gota try and win our home games.

as for shels very very average tonight they wont be going up and why on earth were their fans not segregated their was nearly a riot, fans in the stand were afraid to leave and thats just wrong. Also Tony G made a huge mistake by announcing that scoreline from waterford vs salthill cause it gave them a huge lift so a very depressing result but the lads did do us proud//////rant over.

First of all, as shown tonight, it is wise to play Victor anywhere other than defence. The two goals were legitimate. Nothing to do with tactics either, Deans was caught for the first anyway, and although Conlon played well, he should have made sure of clearing for the second. There was no sound of a 'riot' and fans were not afraid to leave, they all left very quickly, didn't even wait for the player to walk in.

weve gota try and win our home games.
You should go for Manager with a line like this. And do you think that we should lose our away games?

De Town
11/09/2010, 9:28 PM
Threw it away really. In control, under no pressure and then just hit the self destruct button in defence. 2 crap teams on show, and if Shels go up then it'll show just how **** this division is.

Longfordian
11/09/2010, 11:28 PM
WTF riot, afraid to leave?! I was in the stand all game no bother whatsoever a few Shels lads roaring at the ref that was about it. Segregation...there were more of them than us by my reckoning. Don't create drama where it wasn't. As for the game a decided lack of pace at the back cost us plus Conlon was a little slow off his line.

outspoken
12/09/2010, 9:50 AM
Just because u wernt afraid to leave dosnt mean others wernt their was a women with 2 young children sitting behind ne and she said she left very early cause she said she was becoming afraid of a riot and the shels second was clearly offside you could tell by cousins reaction he was furios with the 4th official abd the hold up in the corner flag for the so called injury was an absoulte joke he was down for well over 5 minutes

Longfordian
12/09/2010, 10:44 AM
He dislocated his shoulder during the celebrations. Stupid way to get injured but it was genuine they were bringing him straight to hospital to get it put back in.

The Insider
12/09/2010, 10:52 AM
Just because u wernt afraid to leave dosnt mean others wernt their was a women with 2 young children sitting behind ne and she said she left very early cause she said she was becoming afraid of a riot and the shels second was clearly offside you could tell by cousins reaction he was furios with the 4th official abd the hold up in the corner flag for the so called injury was an absoulte joke he was down for well over 5 minutes

Nice to see you're all heart. So called injury, eh he dislocated his shoulder. I'm not a medic but I'm sure that requires a good deal of attention there and then. On the match itself, we can blame the linesman, the referee, Tony Cousins, the weather etc but it's the same old mistakes that keep cropping up week in and week out.

poster
12/09/2010, 12:19 PM
What was the name of yer number 7 last night? Thought he was very good, seemed tricky and quick with his feet. Thought ye were very unlucky last night, not nice conceding two late goals, especially to a Dublin team. :( Was disappointed with Walsh, that's the second time I've seen him and he's gone missing both games, would have young Victor in there any day.

Cabs88
12/09/2010, 1:21 PM
I honestly dont believe we were at the same game last night kieran.. if anythin we were lucky twice when shels should have got a pen, and their second goal was never offside, philly byrne was at fault for the first should really have cut the ball out and for the second the ball over the top was our downfall.. You give out that our formation was wrong and we should be winning our home games yet our high line is what cost us for both goals.. Ive said before that lester was slow and you proclaimed that he wasnt a liability.. go figure..

For my two cents i thought freeman was very isolated up front in the first and is not suited to the lone striker role.. Walsh was far too slow to support him and wasnt very impressed with his contribution. I think sammon is really benefitting from having hyland back and both played well last night. Roche continues to impress we need to get him more involved because he is a talent. I think Brady is decent but tends to take too much out of the ball at times.
If we keep a spine of what we have this year id be very happy we could finish top 6..

As for the shels fans ill admit that i wasnt in the stand, but they celebrated a vital win ffs fair play to them they came in their numbers, havnt heard of anyone afraid to go home and was chatting a few after the match.. segregation? We dont need that and one of the great things of loi is the bit of banter between fans

outspoken
12/09/2010, 6:59 PM
What was the name of yer number 7 last night? Thought he was very good, seemed tricky and quick with his feet. Thought ye were very unlucky last night, not nice conceding two late goals, especially to a Dublin team. :( Was disappointed with Walsh, that's the second time I've seen him and he's gone missing both games, would have young Victor in there any day.

Cathal Brady was no.7 ye he was good last night but he needs to toughen up hes always pulling out of tackles and if the balls in the air hes done.
have to agree with ya on walsh tho.

howsyourtouch
12/09/2010, 10:52 PM
whatever about walsh,well lets just say a reality tv show made stars out of feckin jedward so think that says it all.

heard your man had to go to hospital after the celebration so not time wasting in the slightest! and john lester should never be left high up the pitch,its suicide,nearly striker in the league is faster than him,he should be at least 10 yards from his own 18yard box because there isn many will get by him from there,but if someone has a run on him. and i dont like saying that because im a big big fan of his, a decent,good honest centre half who wins his 50/50's!

jafrazer
13/09/2010, 7:33 AM
http://vimeo.com/14910899

jafrazer
13/09/2010, 7:37 AM

I think you'll find you were done over by your keeper, because the ref loved you lot on Saturday. Every sliding tackle by our players was deemed a yellow card offence (some clumsy challenges maybe, but that could have as much to do with the wet pitch as anything) but an equally clumsy challenge from your player on our keeper was apparantly not even worthy of a free out. The ref only stopped it when he saw the keeper down.

Nice to see you're all heart. So called injury, eh he dislocated his shoulder. I'm not a medic but I'm sure that requires a good deal of attention there and then.
And he got the 5 minutes attention. All that needs to be done is to make sure that there are no trapped nerves and then get the arem supported in a sling and off to hospitsal to reset it.

Longfordian
13/09/2010, 11:12 AM
Agree with you there actually the ref was handing ye yellow cards like they were going out of fashion. We don't usually receive favours from anyone it was very strange.

The Insider
13/09/2010, 1:52 PM
I think you'll find you were done over by your keeper, because the ref loved you lot on Saturday. Every sliding tackle by our players was deemed a yellow card offence (some clumsy challenges maybe, but that could have as much to do with the wet pitch as anything) but an equally clumsy challenge from your player on our keeper was apparantly not even worthy of a free out. The ref only stopped it when he saw the keeper down.

And he got the 5 minutes attention. All that needs to be done is to make sure that there are no trapped nerves and then get the arem supported in a sling and off to hospitsal to reset it.

And that's what I was saying. He said it was a so called injury and I was trying to tell him he wasnt feigning, there was an injury that required attention, hence the hold-up.

outspoken
13/09/2010, 3:54 PM
Ok I didn't know that when I first posted but he was down fir over 5 minutes only 3 and a half of the 4 given were played that's my point

sorbothegreek
14/09/2010, 12:27 PM
Ok I didn't know that when I first posted but he was down fir over 5 minutes only 3 and a half of the 4 given were played that's my point

So the ref got it wrong by 30 seconds?

If there was 3 minutes to be added and a guy goes down injured for half an hour, there can only be a maximum of three minutes played once the game restarts..

outspoken
14/09/2010, 4:26 PM
No it's a minium of 4 minutes that means he HAS to play 4 after that he can play another week it dosnt matter once he plays 4 but he didn't anyway that's not my main issue that matter is it was offside and we lost simple as that given it was all the officials fault we defientely didn't help our selves but the officials do their job as usual in flancare park

The Insider
14/09/2010, 4:53 PM
No it's a minium of 4 minutes that means he HAS to play 4 after that he can play another week it dosnt matter once he plays 4 but he didn't anyway that's not my main issue that matter is it was offside and we lost simple as that given it was all the officials fault we defientely didn't help our selves but the officials do their job as usual in flancare park

Eh 30 seconds wasn't going to make a difference. Offside or not, unless the flag is raised keep playing. That's what we did, didn't see many of the players raising their arm when Leech was through. We can blame officials all we like, I'm prone to telling them what I think but the same mistakes are killing us. Blaming officials seems to be an easy excuse.

atfconline
14/09/2010, 6:08 PM
Blaming officials seems to be an easy excuse.

Fun, too! :D

outspoken
14/09/2010, 6:28 PM
even in the video above matthews says cousins was very upset with the winning goal so it was offside end of.

but looking back on the footage above perhaps roach can count himself lucky that the shels player didnt make more of the head movement towards him cause had he gone down he may well have been sent off but bottom line offside town screwed again lets just move on to derry.

The Insider
14/09/2010, 6:41 PM
even in the video above matthews says cousins was very upset with the winning goal so it was offside end of.

but looking back on the footage above perhaps roach can count himself lucky that the shels player didnt make more of the head movement towards him cause had he gone down he may well have been sent off but bottom line offside town screwed again lets just move on to derry.

I was saying the flag wasn't raised so therefore keep playing. We were caught out badly for both goals, Leech should not have been able to cut through like that. We were 1-0 up and couldn't defend that lead, we can't keep cleansheets and same problems seem to be the cause of the goals we conceded. Friday night is another big game for us, we are capable of getting performances but we can't keep making the same mistakes. End of for me!

outspoken
14/09/2010, 9:05 PM
Right moving onto Saturday night anybody know what the story is with peter hynes is he injured or suspended or something or was his absence vs shels work related or even better has he left??

Tallanted
15/09/2010, 10:53 AM
At the game i thought the 2nd was offside but that footage clearly shows he was no where near off side he just simply outpaced our back line, been honest the ref was very decent to us for a change. Can't blame the officials on this one, we were caught cold twice and paid for it.
As for Friday I am very confident we can get a positive result based on what I saw on Saturday night.

outspoken
15/09/2010, 4:36 PM
At the game i thought the 2nd was offside but that footage clearly shows he was no where near off side he just simply outpaced our back line, been honest the ref was very decent to us for a change. Can't blame the officials on this one, we were caught cold twice and paid for it.
As for Friday I am very confident we can get a positive result based on what I saw on Saturday night.

I looked at the footage several times and he is offside only marginally but he is offside anyway we lost end of friday here we come.

Tallanted
15/09/2010, 9:10 PM
When the ball gets to him he is marginally ahead of Byrne not when the ball is played, he's not offside no chance of it

outspoken
16/09/2010, 9:20 AM
U can't see that in the footage I believed there and then it was offside and I still do know but arguing over it isn't going to get us points so let's just forget about it

Acornvilla
16/09/2010, 11:06 PM
nothing but bickering around here lately..

Macy
17/09/2010, 8:34 AM
nothing but bickering around here lately..
No it feckin isn't.

outspoken
17/09/2010, 3:52 PM
Not bickering just friendly discussion

Acornvilla
17/09/2010, 11:21 PM
No it feckin isn't.

ok 50% of bickering, blah blah reasonable arguent...

i meant the longford section in general

stann
20/09/2010, 2:54 PM
I thought it was funny anyway Macy. :laugh: