PDA

View Full Version : New York Islamic community center - CNN interview

SkStu
09/09/2010, 11:21 PM
has anyone seen the CNN interview by Soledad O'Brien with Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf? I watched it last night and it was a terrible interview. O'Brien, who i usually find to be quite reasoned and a decent journalist was awful in her tone and attitiude to the question at hand. In my opinion the Imam came out a clear winner with his reasoning and call for calm from extremists on both sides of the argument.

http://leosigh.blogspot.com/2010/09/soledad-obrien-produces-most-biased.html

here is a link to the interview (1st part - there are links to the rest)

XysMxIhMllU

anyone have an opinion on the mosque issue anyway? Or the interview?

eamo1
10/09/2010, 11:56 AM
My uncle-in-Law was killed in the WTC attacks on 9/11.My Aunt and cousin's dont mind a Mosque being built but just think not so close to the site.If you refuse to let them build one then your stooping to the level of the Muslum extremist's who dont let Christian churches be built in many Mid East,African and Asian cities.They should be allowed build one but the current proposed location its too close to the bone in my opinion.My Aunt goes down to the site every anniversary but isnt going this year as some families are planning a protest at it.

Magicme
11/09/2010, 3:51 AM
Muslims died there too so they are hurting too. Would there be such uproar if it was a christian/jewish/hindu religious centre? It was never a religious war but the people protesting now are making it so.

Cymro
11/09/2010, 4:55 AM
The mosque shouldn't be built there, in my view.

Muslims should have every right to build their own religious buildings in Western countries as a general rule, but not on this particular site. Surely it is clear why building a mosque near the site of 9/11 would be a bit.....inflammatory? Irrespective of what is intended, there will be a number of people uncomfortable with it going ahead. Considering what's happened recently with the planned Qu'ran-burning episode (more madness, incidentally), we definitely do not need to encourage any further conflict (actual or imagined) between Christians and Muslims. I know Muslims died in 9/11 too but it is naive to think that some Americans will not see recent events in that way.

Magicme
11/09/2010, 5:00 AM
I agree Cymro to a certain extent but I dont see why it should inflame the situation. Even if it was 3 miles away you would have people complaining that it is still too close. Its time to move on and this centre may help to educate and show that muslims are not the enemy. Fundamentalists of all types are.

shantykelly
11/09/2010, 10:16 AM
is there any legal basis under US law for prohibiting the construction of this place?

SkStu
11/09/2010, 3:28 PM
Short answer shanty is no, none at all.

Cymro, the bizarre thing is its just a relocation of a muslim centre which is currently about a block away. The proposed new mosque would be 3 or 4 blocks from ground zero. Its a political game the GOP are playing and the americans have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Its also not strictly a mosque. Its a community centre with a prayer space... and a basketball court. I presume thats where the flight simulator will be stored.

bennocelt
11/09/2010, 3:55 PM

Cymro, the bizarre thing is its just a relocation of a muslim centre which is currently about a block away. The proposed new mosque would be 3 or 4 blocks from ground zero. Its a political game the GOP are playing and the americans have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Its also not strictly a mosque. Its a community centre with a prayer space... and a basketball court. I presume thats where the flight simulator will be stored.

Didnt read much about this but could have guessed it was like this.
A non story really and maybe an attempt to make Obama look bad, and a cheap dig at Muslims

Cymro
12/09/2010, 2:19 AM

Fair enough points there, I wasn't aware of any of those things. However, it doesn't change the fact that this has the potential to cause much ill-feeling.

Sadly American politics is ridiculously partisan in recent years, and important issues like global warming, religious freedom and so on are inevitably viewed as being party issues when they shouldn't really be.

dahamsta
13/09/2010, 10:36 AM
Lads, would ye for feck's sake educate yourselves and stop parroting the utterly incorrect media line on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park51

bennocelt
13/09/2010, 12:41 PM
By reading wikipedia!! LOL

dahamsta
13/09/2010, 12:43 PM
Wikipedia is 100% correct in stating that it's a community centre, and your time would be a lot better spent reading Wikipedia than posting infantile comments like that. At least make an effort to look like you have some semblence of intelligence.

osarusan
13/09/2010, 1:38 PM
I have no more problem with a community centre (with prayer space) with a focus on Islam being built than a similar centre with a focus on any other religion*. It's just another tool with which conservatives ("you want to celebrate those who are bent on destroying America") and liberals ("you want to deny the freedom which has made America the great country it is") can bash each other.

*Although I'd personally prefer if all buildings affiliated with religious worship were evacuated and then blown clean off the face of the earth.

bennocelt
13/09/2010, 2:05 PM
Wikipedia is 100% correct in stating that it's a community centre, and your time would be a lot better spent reading Wikipedia than posting infantile comments like that. At least make an effort to look like you have some semblence of intelligence.

Relax, only joking!

dahamsta
13/09/2010, 2:33 PM
+1 on building affiliated with religious worhip, although I'd prefer they were sold off and the funds put to good use. If people want to believe in fairy stories about Jesus and Mohammad in their own time and space that's their lookout, but I've yet to come across an organised religion that isn't corrupt on some level.

SkStu
13/09/2010, 3:36 PM
can we try and keep this on topic please? ;)

Also, post #7 - i pointed out that it wasnt a mosque.

boo-yah.

Spudulika
14/09/2010, 7:13 AM
Personally speaking I'd say let them do it as it's a sufi centre, and they would be alot closer in their belief and practice to normality and reality than wahhabism (which exists in towns and cities across Europe including Dublin). However I'd love to see a similiar initiative going ahead in the homeland of islam - a place where they blew up christian churches, pagan temples and jewish synagogues (they never existed in the sacred land don't you know). Seeing islam and islamic practice in action, I'd always draw breath, as bad as our own christian an mad jewish headbangers are, they leave us in the ha'penny place. Fast forward 15 years when a hardcore of fundies have taken over the running of the place and we'll have our liberal ideals tested!