PDA

View Full Version : Russia 0 - Slovakia 1

Spudulika
07/09/2010, 7:53 PM
Just home from the match and now watching the feed online from Dublin. A bit surprised we're winning 2-1 but hopefully it'll be 4-1 by the end.

I've posted before that Russia are no great shakes and on Friday's performance they were ropey, but tonight they showed that they're a one man band with massive flaws. Their defence is glacially slow and dreadful in the air. Arshavin took all corner kicks (over 15 in all) and not one troubled the visitors. Putting someone on him, to give him a good belt in the first few minutes, and Russia have nothing.

Pavlyuchenko came on for the under rated Pogrebnyak and was dreadful, he's a shadow of the player who was a star for Spartak and in 2008. Akinfeev is very shaky and doesn't deal with crosses well, while each Russian attack started fast, then suddenly slowed as they tried to "move" the ball. They're a pale imitation of the 2008 brand and the ans were going mental.

Last week I thought Ireland would pick up at least 2 points from the games, now I'd be disappointed with 4. Slovakia were average, they didn't win a corner and had 3 shots the entire game. They couldn't clear their lines at all and against a team like Ireland they'd be punished, instead Russia played he ball back to defence to restart attacks - losing any momentum they had.

Now for Andorra!

ps Please god we'll play in the Lokomotiv stadium, press the Russians and keep it tight, one Arshavin has space to run he's deadly.

Duggie
08/09/2010, 9:00 AM
i think there games we could win but i feel with russia they could turn on the style and win in slovakia and dublin, its possible not sayin thats how it will pan out. with slovakia winning in russia we will prob need to win at least one of those games against the big 2 and hopefully not lose anyone of them.

Irish_Praha
08/09/2010, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the review Spudulika; makes me feel a little more positive about our chances :)

jbyrne
09/09/2010, 11:33 AM
i think there games we could win but i feel with russia they could turn on the style and win in slovakia and dublin, its possible not sayin thats how it will pan out. with slovakia winning in russia we will prob need to win at least one of those games against the big 2 and hopefully not lose anyone of them.

yes, we went to moscow in 2002 thinking we would win but got spanked 4-2. russia are still a massive threat