PDA

View Full Version : ``Jayo for Ireland``

Stevo Da Gull
26/04/2004, 3:19 PM
after singing that for years down at The Carlisle I could'nt be happier for him, no one deserves it more.!!!!!
Congratulations Jason Byrne!!! (and Glen Crowe again.... both of em doing the league proud)
:)

bigfoot
26/04/2004, 3:28 PM
Is Glen Crowe in the squad too?

Éanna
26/04/2004, 3:34 PM
not by the looks of it. well done byrne, good for the league

Stevo Da Gull
26/04/2004, 3:36 PM

I got a text from Bray Wanderers telling me that the both of the were but that actually does'nt seem to be the case (according to eleven-a-side.com) , sorry `bout that :o

ger121
26/04/2004, 3:52 PM
Crowe was included but had to withdraw due to a hamstring according to the FAI website.

bigfoot
26/04/2004, 3:55 PM
Pity, it would have been great to see them both on the pitch together playing for Ireland- like Éanna said, great for the league!

bigfoot
26/04/2004, 4:11 PM
[QUOTE=xtreme rebel]With Crowe withdrawing, I thought they would promote someone like Kevin doyle for the u-21's![QUOTE]

Have a look past Cork City will ya! Kevin Doyle isn't ready for senior international!

adamcarr
26/04/2004, 4:33 PM
[QUOTE=xtreme rebel]With Crowe withdrawing, I thought they would promote someone like Kevin doyle for the u-21's![QUOTE]

Have a look past Cork City will ya! Kevin Doyle isn't ready for senior international!
He has played brilliant in U20 and U21 level for Ireland and IMO definately deserves a call up soon! Well done Jason! anyway. It would be great to see him and his cousin up front! :)

jofyisgod
26/04/2004, 5:45 PM
Well done Jason, great news, he deserved it too. Hope he plays!
City player in there next time, i know it!:)

tiktok
26/04/2004, 6:38 PM
Congrats to Jason Byrne, great to see a player in there as a reward for a consistent high level of play (strectching back to Bray to be fair)
A fit Flynn might have been there or thereabouts for a call (especially as it appears Crowe was called up but injury prevented him travelling) but I think that you can stop at those three in terms of players who would be ready for the step up right now.
IMO only other player that has a genuine international shout from the EL at the moment is Steve Williams for Wales, especially considering the dregs that is that country's second and thrid choice keeper.

Footie_Fan
26/04/2004, 6:45 PM
Fair play to him. Deserved.

A face
26/04/2004, 7:34 PM
I'll be happier if he gets a game but at least it shows that if players put the work in and preform well and consistantly then they will get rewarded.

Viva la eircom League ... Forza la eircom League !!

Well done Jason Byrne.

dcfc_legend9
27/04/2004, 8:38 AM
fair play to him for gettin into the squad but hes still a wee dirty dublin *******

Éanna
27/04/2004, 10:34 AM
I would not be surprised to see Doyler play for Ireland sometime in the future. He needs another season or so though.

Slash/ED
27/04/2004, 8:27 PM
IMO only other player that has a genuine international shout from the EL at the moment is Steve Williams for Wales, especially considering the dregs that is that country's second and thrid choice keeper.

Spot on, I've been calling for Williams to play for Wales for ages. Though it's unlikely Hughes even knows who he is really, he's alot better than a Fulham reserve.

Gary
27/04/2004, 8:32 PM
Theres a very interesting debate on this on dangerhere. Swear to God, those barstoolers are priceless. One moron is stating opinion on the eLs representation on being at ONE game this season.

HI LARious

Stevo Da Gull
27/04/2004, 10:08 PM
Yo folks, this reminds me. I believe that part of Jayo's sale to Shels had a cluase in the contract so if Jayo got an International call up/cap that Shels would owe Bray some ca$h. Can any1 clear up the details of this for me?

Schumi
28/04/2004, 11:24 AM
Shels would owe Bray some ca$h.Prepare for a court case so... :mad:

SÓC
28/04/2004, 12:16 PM
Spot on, I've been calling for Williams to play for Wales for ages. Though it's unlikely Hughes even knows who he is really, he's alot better than a Fulham reserve.

I dont think Williams will get the call up. Cardiff's first choice keeper cant get into the squad half the time.

I assume Jone will retire soon that might leave a way for Williams but TBH I would be very very surprised to see him in a squad.

Dodge
28/04/2004, 1:23 PM
Adamson is about 6th in running for the England's keeper spot...

ccfcman
28/04/2004, 2:54 PM
there's a case for john o'flynn when he's fit.as much as i despise shels i would rather see byrne play than say connolly

Éanna
28/04/2004, 5:31 PM
Agreed. although I'd rather see noel hartigan play than david "angry ant" connolly. I think any eL fan is happy to see a player from the league geta chance- it's good for all of us

ABC- anyone but connolly :)

Stevo Da Gull
28/04/2004, 5:59 PM
How could it of hurt to bring Jayo on after 75 mins instead of 90, it's Fu**ing riduculas, I mean how do U expect a player to make an impact when all he's going to get the chance to do is walk onto the pitch (ref blows whistle) then walk off again. Use some F-ing sense Kerr wud ya! :mad:

TheSaint2002
28/04/2004, 6:11 PM
Pure token gesture and insulting on the player I know he will be happy to have a cap but Kerr didnt bring him on to see what he could, he just did it so Jayo wouldnt be the only one left on the bench,is that what the league has come to our best striker left on the bench for 90mins in a mickey mouse friendly against Poland with a ranshackle squad.

Éanna
28/04/2004, 6:15 PM
Its stupid to bring player on in the 90th min especially in a friendly. I thought Kerr knew better than that

jofyisgod
28/04/2004, 6:57 PM
Good to see him on, but i think there should be arule introduced over late subs. They should only be allowed after 75/80 mins in case of injury.

Anyway, Well done Jayo!

tiktok
28/04/2004, 6:59 PM
completely token gesture, bit disappointed in Kerr, no reason why he couldn't have gotten twenty minutes.

Slash/ED
28/04/2004, 7:02 PM
That was an insult to him, complete bull****.

TheSaint2002
28/04/2004, 7:06 PM
like what more can kerr learn about Mercenary Morrission :( that he doesnt already know so why not give Jayo a chance and see what he can do pure s**t pure insult :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .

ger121
28/04/2004, 7:06 PM
In all fairness he brought him on in the 88th minute :D However Quinn and Doyle did not even get on and Douglas only got on in the 81st minute. At least he got a run out and nobody can ever take away from him that he played for his country, however short it may have been. The only thing I would have to say is that he should have brought on Byrne instead of Barrett as Byrne is a more out and out striker.

A face
30/04/2004, 11:35 PM
Dancing the Polka
A Pete Goulding Poem

From the shipyards of Gdansk, way down to Krakow in the south,
In lovely Lodz and Posnan and in Warsaw,
The news swept through the country, in the main through word of mouth,
Causing more delight than people foresaw.

At first they were suspicious and would not believe their ears,
Phoning up the FAI for clarity,
But then they were united in their loud, unbridled cheers,
‘Twas years since they had shown such solidarity.

They queued all night for tickets in the chilly eastern Spring,
Warmed by feverish anticipation.
Then they kissed their fiery spouses with a promise that they’d ring,
And gaily skipped down to the railway station.

From north and south and east and west, the trains disgorged their troops,
Past buildings old and grimy and decaying,
Advancing on the stadium in hopeful, nervous groups,
Praying that the Legend would be playing.

But when the whistle blew, the fans were very much uptight,
Their hero wasn’t in the starting line-up.
They kept glancing at the fourth official all throughout the night,
Willing him to put the bleeding sign up.

Injury time approaching, and the flags were all unfurled,
Augmented by a symphony of voices,
As the Polish commentator shouted to the outside world,
“Listen how our happy state rejoices!”

Four minutes to display his skills was all he was allowed,
Four minutes to enthrall the Polish masses,
But tears of joy were streaming from the people in the crowd,
Which buggered everybody wearing glasses.

And then the match was over, and the crowd was on a high –
Such an understandable reaction –
And they travelled home in trainloads ‘neath the brooding Polish sky,
Thrilled at seeing Jason Byrne in action.

Poland 0 Ireland 0 - Jayo brought on for 4 minutes injury time, in what is seen by many as a tokenist gesture by Kerr.

Taken from www.soccercentral.ie (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=12873&mainheading=eircomonly1&viewstory=yes)