PDA

View Full Version : World Rankings

Pages : [1] 2 3

swinfordfc
03/09/2010, 11:16 PM
Lads,

i know we at present are 36th in the rankings but how are we fixed in the european rankings ie are we near to be second seeds and in the world rankings - will tonight results make much difference?

tricky_colour
03/09/2010, 11:34 PM
We will have moved from ****e to slightly less ****e :)

Charlie Darwin
03/09/2010, 11:52 PM
We'll get very few points from either this game or the Andorra one. The only real movement will happen if teams around us lose. I think we're 3 or 4 places off second-seed, so we still have some way to go.

swinfordfc
08/09/2010, 10:21 PM
So can any one update where we will be next wednesday?

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2010, 10:38 PM
Based on results over the past week, we are in with a shout of passing a couple of the African teams and perhaps the Czechs too but I'd be surprised if we jumped more than three places. Slovakia are going to move even further ahead of us after their win over Russia. It's hard to judge because you don't just get points for winning matches in each window but also see results from previous years become less weighted.

DannyInvincible
08/09/2010, 10:43 PM
Of the teams between us and, say, 30th position, the Czech Republic (31st) lost their last game against Lithuania and Algeria (33rd) drew with Tanzania in an African Cup of Nations qualifier the other day after losing to Gabon (34th) in an August friendly. The Czech Republic did beat Latvia in the friendly they played in August though, but maybe we'd have a chance of moving above them; can't be sure as working out the maths isn't all that appealling right now. On the other hand, Sweden (35th) convincingly won their last two games against Hungary and San Marino along with their August friendly against Scotland, so chances of passing them are pretty much nil. Japan (32nd) won two friendlies - the only games they played - during the same period while Gabon drew with Burkina Faso in their most recent outing. If we're to pass anyone, it looks like it could be Algeria, just going by their results within the last period and a bit of guesswork.

Closed Account
09/09/2010, 9:05 AM
swinfordfc, you should bookmark this site:
http://www.football-rankings.info/2010/09/fifa-ranking-september-2010-preview-iv.html
Usually pretty accurate

28 Mexico 795 -3 -58
29 Denmark 781 0 -4
30 Japan 773 2 5
31 Gabon 768 3 13
32 Sweden 760 3 13
33 Republic of Ireland 745 3 11
34 Nigeria 733 -4 -40
35 Algeria 732 -2 -27
36 Israel 721 2 -12
37 Cameroon 717 3 7
37 Czech Republic 717 -6 -52

swinfordfc
09/09/2010, 3:17 PM
Thanks Joe_

That site seems up to date ...... cheers

IsMiseSean
09/09/2010, 4:17 PM
swinfordfc, you should bookmark this site:
http://www.football-rankings.info/2010/09/fifa-ranking-september-2010-preview-iv.html
Usually pretty accurate

28 Mexico 795 -3 -58
29 Denmark 781 0 -4
30 Japan 773 2 5
31 Gabon 768 3 13
32 Sweden 760 3 13
33 Republic of Ireland 745 3 11
34 Nigeria 733 -4 -40
35 Algeria 732 -2 -27
36 Israel 721 2 -12
37 Cameroon 717 3 7
37 Czech Republic 717 -6 -52

Gabon... Seriously???

DannyInvincible
09/09/2010, 4:19 PM
Gabon have been ahead of us for quite a while. Inexplicably, really.

SwanVsDalton
15/09/2010, 1:42 PM
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Up to 33rd. That site highlighted above really was spot on.

Closed Account
15/09/2010, 2:10 PM
Edgar, a forum-er, either runs it or is involved somehow. Its very well done.
He has a Probable October ranking up but its based on Probable results:
08/Oct Republic of Ireland - Russia X (Continental Qualifier)
12/Oct Slovakia - Republic of Ireland X (Continental Qualifier)
Two draws moving us up to 31st but thats all very speculative on not really useful.
Whats more aspirational would be two wins getting us to 933 points which would get us to 22nd at least. I'm hoping for 2 wins regardless.

The Fly
15/09/2010, 3:38 PM
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Up to 33rd. That site highlighted above really was spot on.

OWC's brightest will be have a field day with that one! :rolleyes:

geysir
15/09/2010, 3:45 PM
At least NI are on the same page this month. Adds a bit of respectability to brand Ireland.

cornflakes
15/09/2010, 4:20 PM
How the feck are Norway 14th?

Schumi
15/09/2010, 4:28 PM

And Egypt 9th!

The Fly
15/09/2010, 4:38 PM

And Egypt 9th!

Forget Norway and Egypt.........England are 6th! :shock:

amaccann
15/09/2010, 4:40 PM
...and France down to a record low of 27th. A few more good results for us and we could leapfrog (geddit) them. Now that would be sweet.

geysir
15/09/2010, 5:48 PM
Egypt have won the last two ACoN, that alone would easily have them in the top 10 but Norway at 14 is a mystery, they haven't qualified for anything in 10 years.

shakermaker1982
15/09/2010, 6:32 PM
Did England and Portugal have good world cups in some alternative universe?!

Charlie Darwin
15/09/2010, 7:00 PM
England have won 14 of their last 18 matches.

DannyInvincible
15/09/2010, 8:44 PM
Norway beat Portugal and Iceland in their last two games and beat France in the August friendly. On top of that, they finished second in their World Cup qualifying group last campaign, but just missed out on the play-offs as the "worst" group runner-up. Still though, 14th does seem a bit high considering. I'd say their win over Portugal in their last game was crucial in bagging them quite a few points.

geysir
15/09/2010, 8:59 PM
Yeah, that explains Norways rise, they jumped up 8 places after those 2 wins.

Charlie Darwin
15/09/2010, 9:03 PM
22nd going into the round is still a bit of a mystery though. I guess they're one of those teams that wins the games they don't lose instead of picking up 6 draws in a campaign.

tommy_c12000
15/09/2010, 10:46 PM
Does anyone remember where Ireland were in the rankings when Trap took over in May 2008??

Colbert Report
15/09/2010, 10:53 PM
41st in May 2008

March 2009 we were ranked 26th, the highest we've been since December 2005

In August 1993 we were ranked 6th.

57th in November 1998

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=irl/ranking/gender=m/index.html

Gather round
16/09/2010, 8:38 AM
Gabon have been ahead of us for quite a while. Inexplicably, really

No sarcasm intended, surely it is explicable through being purely formulaic? So there must be a link to the formula. The only alternative is that it's wholly subjective, in which case none of the thread readers/ commercial sponsors etc. would take it seriously?

OWC's brightest will be have a field day with that one! :rolleyes:

Ha ha. That gag/ coincidence just keeps on giving. Still, a good double-header in October and you could move up significantly, as others have said.

At least NI are on the same page this month. Adds a bit of respectability to brand Ireland

Thanks for that, but I think you overstate one game's significance. A surprise win over Slovenia and we move up 14 places; drop points in the Faroes and there'll be a corresponding fall.

Weren't we on the same page at the start of the tournament (ie, both being seeded third)? You're ahead on points but we do have that game in hand.

As for the neighborly rivalry/ solidarity, I doubt Foroyar/ Greenland/ the Baffin Islands are that bothered by the lack of North Atlantic respectability in Iceland's recent poor results.

geysir
16/09/2010, 10:26 AM
Why of course there are plenty of people who have some concern at how an association team populated with Irish nationals are performing on the international stage.

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 1:18 PM
At least NI are on the same page this month. Adds a bit of respectability to brand Ireland.I wouldn't get too snooty if I were you.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, there has been damn all to choose between the two teams over the last four years, as a comparison on FIFA's Rankings Tables demonstrates:
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/compare/compareteams.html#g=m&t1=IRL&t2=NIR&dRange=3&fm=9&fy=2006&tm=9&ty=2010

That is, between September 2006 and September 2010, ROI's High/Low Rankings have been 26/51, whereas NI's equivalent is 27/59. More pertinently, ROI's Average Ranking during that period is 38.2, with NI's being 39.3.

Curiously, our Ranking towards the beginning of that period will have suffered a hangover from when McIlroy was in charge (4 years), when our Ranking/Results plummeted. Just as ROI's Ranking suffered during the middle of the term under Staunton (albeit for a much shorter period).

Beyond that, ROI have since kept their Ranking up by rarely being beaten, even though they haven't themselves beaten a Ranking team in a competitive match "since Adam was a Lad".

By contrast, NI have had more defeats/fewer draws, especially away and in friendlies, but we have compensated with several notable competitive victories against higher rated teams eg Spain (10th), Sweden (15th), Denmark (29th), Poland (29th), Slovenia Away (19th).

So there you have it: there's actually very little between the two teams' progress over a period, except that one team has "taken the tram", whereas the other has been "on the rollercoaster". And I know which of the two is the greater fun...

geysir
16/09/2010, 1:34 PM
If you were me, I'd need an exorcism.

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 2:06 PM
If you were me, I'd need an exorcism.It's not some sort of "possession" you need to lose, just the deluded sense of your team's superiority.

Still, seeing as you clearly have no answer to the (footballing) point I was making, on past experience I shouldn't be surprised by your having a cheap pop at me instead.

Sad.

OneRedArmy
16/09/2010, 2:22 PM
So there you have it: there's actually very little between the two teams' progress over a period, except that one team has "taken the tram", whereas the other has been "on the rollercoaster". And I know which of the two is the greater fun...It depends on whether you like rollercoasters or not.

On the basis neither team is qualifying for tournaments, it matters not a jot IMO.

ArdeeBhoy
16/09/2010, 2:31 PM
It's not some sort of "possession" you need to lose, just the deluded sense of your team's superiority.

Still, seeing as you clearly have no answer to the (footballing) point I was making, on past experience I shouldn't be surprised by your having a cheap pop at me instead.

Sad.
Said the ill-informed gardener to the bishop....
;)

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 2:57 PM
It depends on whether you like rollercoasters or not.True. But the fact that you find more Rollercoasters in your average Funfair than Trams must tell you something...;)

On the basis neither team is qualifying for tournaments, it matters not a jot IMO.Absolutely. However, that was not what Geysir was alluding to with his deluded little sneer.

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 3:00 PM
Said the ill-informed gardener to the bishop....
;)And that comment adds precisely what to the Rankings debate? :confused:

ArdeeBhoy
16/09/2010, 3:17 PM
Says the man going on about roller coasters, trams and funfairs! And who wants to call others 'deluded'.....
;)

And what did Geysir say that was so terrible??

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 3:51 PM
Says the man going on about roller coasters, trams and funfairs! And who wants to call others 'deluded'.....
;)Er, in order to illustrate what was an entirely relevant point, I employed an easily understood metaphor (roller-coasters/trams), as subsequently picked up upon by ORA.

Whereas unless I am missing something obvious, your reference to "ill-informed gardeners" and "bishops" was irrelevant drivel.

And what did Geysir say that was so terrible??Nothing "terrible", just a petty sneer on a Rankings thread which implied that the NI team struggles even to compare with that of the ROI, whereas the plain facts prove that our team is every bit as good* as yours.

* - Or "mediocre", or even "bad", if you prefer.

ArdeeBhoy
16/09/2010, 4:09 PM
Yawn. If it's that hard, refer to your numerous error-ridden posts passim

You are confusing us otherwise.

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 4:21 PM
Yawn. If it's that hard, refer to your numerous error-ridden posts passim
And that comment adds precisely what to the Rankings debate?

You are confusing us otherwise. "Us"? Speak for yourself.

geysir
16/09/2010, 5:40 PM
It's not some sort of "possession" you need to lose, just the deluded sense of your team's superiority.

Sad.
NI were on page 2 last month on the FIFA rankings, now they are back on page 1.
Do you seriously think I give a damn if NI are on page one, page 2 or page 3?
Though I admit, last month for 2 seconds, I did wonder why they were not on page one. Your rivalry with the Republics team means absolutely zilch to me. I just don't relate or connect with it.
Though I do realise that many in the OWC are clearly obsessed to the point of irrational hatred in matters to do with the Republics team.
When will it dawn on you that most Republic fans don't give a fiddlers about the NI team and it doesn't irritate them to see another team in green do well and get the occasional day out in the sun.
Get over it if somebody remarks that you have climbed out the back pages of FIFA's rankings.
Nobody really cares.

EalingGreen
16/09/2010, 6:09 PM
Do you seriously think I give a damn if NI are on page one, page 2 or page 3?...

...Your rivalry with the Republics team means absolutely zilch to me. I just don't relate or connect with it. ...

...When will it dawn on you that most Republic fans don't give a fiddlers about the NI team...

...Nobody really cares.Says the self-same poster who introduced the NI team to the thread out-of-the-blue, after 13 other posts managed to keep it to the ROI team.

Silly as well as sad....

As usual, Shakespeare nailed it: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Predator
16/09/2010, 6:27 PM
To be fair to geysir, his post concerning the IFA team came after The Fly brought up the topic of 'OWC's brightest', having a laugh at Ireland being 33rd in the rankings, obviously alluding to the ongoing 'Team 33' jibe. I can see why geysir brought up the NI team's place in the rankings, not that it's a crime.

Is it possible that you might just have felt the need to be offended?

Gather round
16/09/2010, 7:23 PM
Why of course there are plenty of people who have some concern at how an association team populated with Irish nationals are performing on the international stage

Each to his own. Personally, I've little concern how other teams populated with British or other nationals are performing.

Do you seriously think I give a damn if NI are on page one, page 2 or page 3?

Er, yes. Why mention it otherwise?

Though I admit, last month for 2 seconds, I did wonder why they were not on page one

I imagine it's largely because they keep losing friendly matches.

Your rivalry with the Republics team means absolutely zilch to me. I just don't relate or connect with it

Fine, stop going on about it.

When will it dawn on you that most Republic fans don't give a fiddlers about the NI team

It has already. Decades ago, when I lived there. Not that you are representative of or a spokesman for most RoI fans, as far as I can see.

Get over it if somebody remarks that you have climbed out the back pages of FIFA's rankings.
Nobody really cares

Most RoI fans don't, you and Ardee Bhoy clearly do. Don't you get bored stirring?

Is it possible that you might just have felt the need to be offended?

Not really. G's stirring is predictable, we expect and almost look forward to it.

The Fly
16/09/2010, 8:06 PM
Each to his own. Personally, I've little concern how other teams populated with British or other nationals are performing.

Are

Er, yes. Why mention it otherwise?

you

I imagine it's largely because they keep losing friendly matches.

as

Fine, stop going on about it.

pithy

It has already. Decades ago, when I lived there. Not that you are representative of or a spokesman for most RoI fans, as far as I can see.

in

Most RoI fans don't, you and Ardee Bhoy clearly do. Don't you get bored stirring?

real

Not really. G's stirring is predictable, we expect and almost look forward to it.

life? ;)

The Fly
16/09/2010, 8:28 PM

At first glance I thought the discussion had turned to underwear! :eek:

EalingGreen
17/09/2010, 9:06 AM
To be fair to geysir, his post concerning the IFA team came after The Fly brought up the topic of 'OWC's brightest', having a laugh at Ireland being 33rd in the rankings, obviously alluding to the ongoing 'Team 33' jibe. I can see why geysir brought up the NI team's place in the rankings, not that it's a crime. Really? Fly's post was about 'Team 33' being ranked 33rd, a mildly amusing jibe which works whether NI are ranked 1st in the world, last in the world or anywhere in between.
It was Geysir who gratuitously made the jump from there to having a pop at the NI team (even despite his "point" being completely contradicted by the facts).

Is it possible that you might just have felt the need to be offended?Who said I was "offended"? Mildly irritated, perhaps, but that's about the height of it.
Anyway, half the content of any football message board consists of posters slagging off other teams, followed by the other teams' supporters defending them. Do you detect "offence" every time the latter occurs?
Why not play the ball, rather than the man? That is, do you concur with Geysir's clear implication that the NI team doesn't bear comparison with that of the ROI?
This is a Rankings thread, after all...

EalingGreen
17/09/2010, 9:15 AM
At first glance I thought the discussion had turned to underwear! :eek:That's quite funny and earns you 16 points in the Foot.ie Rankings.

You can use it to offset the 25 points your preceding post cost you...;)

ifk101
17/09/2010, 9:29 AM
... do you concur with Geysir's clear implication that the NI team doesn't bear comparison with that of the ROI?

In terms of ranking there always will be a basis for comparison - such is the nature of a ranking system. But I think we have a far stronger pool of players available to us. And, as you know, international footballer managers such as Dick Advocaat are of the same opinion. Indeed the status/ strength an international team holds is highlighted by the quality of opposition they are able to attract for friendly games. Granted this is also linked to financial clout but it's telling that the IFA's perception of what consistutes a glamour friendly is a game away to Albania.

This is a Rankings thread, after all...

It is indeed.

Predator
17/09/2010, 9:50 AM
It was Geysir who gratuitously made the jump from there to having a pop at the NI team (even despite his "point" being completely contradicted by the facts).I am aware of who posted what.

Who said I was "offended"? Mildly irritated, perhaps, but that's about the height of it.Mildly irritated as opposed to taking offence? I see, I see. I just asked whether you were being a bit hyper-sensitive.

Anyway, half the content of any football message board consists of posters slagging off other teams, followed by the other teams' supporters defending them. Do you detect "offence" every time the latter occurs?Sometimes, but some people are wont to be offended (irritated) at even the smallest, or vaguest, reference to their team.

Why not play the ball, rather than the man? That is, do you concur with Geysir's clear implication that the NI team doesn't bear comparison with that of the ROI?
This is a Rankings thread, after all...I don't agree that that was geysir's 'clear implication'. My opinion is that both sides are fairly close, with Ireland edging it at the minute.

ArdeeBhoy
17/09/2010, 10:05 AM
Personally, I've little concern how other teams populated with British or other nationals are performing.

So you don't support the North now??
;)

Not that you are representative of or a spokesman for most RoI fans, as far as I can see.
Hmm, to be fair him, or even the average Irish citizen would know about 100 times more about the Irish soccer team than yer good self! Not that it would be hard!

Hmm. Besides the obvious hypocrisy, it's more an objection to the status of the North of Ireland and its institutional bigotry that have existed out of its very creation.
Not to mention the predictable paranoia (& hypocrisy again) displayed by its fans on here!

G's stirring is predictable, we expect and almost look forward to it.
More like the subsequent ( & continually entertaining) displays of paranoia....

And Fly, more pitiful than pithy.
;)

Pred, those paranoia scars run deep!