PDA

View Full Version : McGeady scores on debut!!!

eirebhoy
25/04/2004, 2:47 PM
I posted an article up on this forum a while back about Aiden McGeady of Celtic, he's an 18 year old from Glasgow but wants to play for Ireland. Anyway, he scored today on his Celtic debut after 16mins, its not even half time yet.

Article:
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=13542

ElSieteSecretos
25/04/2004, 3:08 PM
he sounds truely amazing...
how do you think he would fit in with the irish set up (if he makes it)? I always belived that Robbie Keane (although great) was a 2nd striker and played off someone else

Eirambler
25/04/2004, 6:02 PM
McGeady's arrival is great news for Ireland. Lets hope he gets a run in the Celtic first team for the rest of the season.

They were raving about him on thehuddleboards.com, apparently his performance apart from the goal was exceptional too.

They don't seem to be too happy about his choice of nationality though...

Plastic Paddy
25/04/2004, 7:47 PM
They were raving about him on thehuddleboards.com, apparently his performance apart from the goal was exceptional too.

They don't seem to be too happy about his choice of nationality though...

Ohh, I dunno about that. Plenty of us are happy that he opted for the green... ;)

:D PP

ElSieteSecretos
25/04/2004, 9:16 PM
The analysis of McGeady and the futball match, you can see

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/reports/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/04/25/SOCCER_Hearts.html

1MickCollins
26/04/2004, 1:36 AM
There is a bit of an obsession with young untried players on this board but McGeady may be the real deal, but could so easily go the way of all those other "highly rated" players. Give the kid some space. And time. :D

Paulie
26/04/2004, 9:20 AM
He's quoted in today's Star (not the most reliable source I know but anyway....) as saying "Basically Ireland came in for me and I was asked to go over about 2 years ago and train. I have been involved in under 18 and 19 squads and I have decided to stay with them. I don't think my mum and dad are too bothered as it is my decision. I don't know what I would do if there was a call from Scotland, but I am quite settled with the Irish set-up."

This last part leads me to believe that it's far from being a certainty that this lad will stay with us.

Bowsy
26/04/2004, 9:27 AM
The Scots squad is so threadbare they could well offer him a cap very soon (haven't they already called up young lads like Beattie and Wallace at Celtic?) and if he's largely Scottish and a little undecided by the sounds of it he may well take it.

Plastic Paddy
26/04/2004, 9:48 AM
He's been involved with us since u-16 level and has restated his desire on several occasions to stay within the Ireland set-up. The following thread will dispel some of the myths surrounding him.

http://69.93.29.242/hb/showthread.php?t=16181

Either way, I don't think he'll switch to Scotland now. He's respected and happy within our setup, has a good relationship with Brian Kerr and sees a greater chance of international success with us. That'll do me.

pete
26/04/2004, 9:52 AM
There is a bit of an obsession with young untried players on this board but McGeady may be the real deal, but could so easily go the way of all those other "highly rated" players. Give the kid some space. And time. :D

Too true. I game for a foreign team & people quick to proclaim a superstar.

:eek:

Plastic Paddy
26/04/2004, 10:01 AM
Too true. I game for a foreign team & people quick to proclaim a superstar.

What a daft comment. Would you refer to Liverpool or ManUre in the same vein had it been either of them for whom McGeady made his debut? I think not.

:( PP

tetsujin1979
26/04/2004, 10:17 AM
I heard he was brought to Berti Vogts to try and convince him to change his allegiance to Scotland, but no dice. Reckon that's good enough evidence for me that he'll stay with us.

Littlest Hobo
26/04/2004, 10:47 AM
Many would disgrace themselves trying to copy the brilliant Barcelona and Brazilian star but McGeady had the audacity to put one of his magical moves into practice on his debut.

"It's always good to get compliments," he smiled with a hint of embarrassment. "I love watching Ronaldinho and I stole it off him.

"It's a bit too much and it's all very flattering but I have not done anything yet."

Amazingly before even making his senior bow, he has had international managers clambering for his allegiance.

Despite being born in Glasgow he has opted to play for Brian Kerr's Republic of Ireland because he played under him for the Under-18s.

Scotland boss Vogts and Tommy Burns have already tried and failed to persuade him to change his mind but the talented starlet, who also attracted interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, has committed his future to the country of his grandparents.

"It's not an issue at all," he shrugged innocently. "Ireland came first to ask me and I have been with them ever since.

"I have been involved in the Under-18s and Under-19s and I wanted to stay on with them.

"I qualified because my grandparents were Irish but I don't think my parents are too bothered that I chose Ireland.

"I think the rules have changed now. I am fairly happy and settled with Ireland.

"Brian Kerr actually took my team and he is now the first-team manager. I was with him for Under-18s last year.

"He had a couple of chats with me and said if I scored a couple of goals and take my chance in the first team that maybe I will step up in the future."

Found this on sportinglife website. Sounds promising enough. Don't want the scots stealing him from under our noses!!
Sounds like we could have ourselves a potentially good striker coming through the ranks. We seem to have plenty of defenders and midfielders about, but lack serious firepower up front.

pete
26/04/2004, 11:06 AM
Noel Hunt has scored a good in the SPL but is not referred to as the future of Irish football...

If wanted could be argued Hunt scored against the Celtic defense whereas this young celtic guy scored against the Hearts defense so which is better...

Bowsy
26/04/2004, 11:17 AM
I don't think we should get carried away but always exciting to see a new future irish talent emerging. Hopefully he can cement himself at Celtic. When he's a regular scoring 20+ goals a season then we can start talking about as a partner for Robbie. From all the interviews etc I've read since hearing about him(admittedly that was only about a month ago) he comes across as a very confident, determined and strong willed kid. Doesn't sound like he'll get his head turned easily.

liam88
26/04/2004, 5:40 PM
The futures bright-The futures (wearing) green and white :D :D

eirebhoy
26/04/2004, 7:33 PM
I saw a piece from the after match interview on RTE news and he definitely doesn't look like changing his mind about declaring for Ireland.

ElSieteSecretos
26/04/2004, 10:37 PM
eirebhoy, have you the link for this story??

SeanieBoy
27/04/2004, 7:31 AM
I saw a piece from the after match interview on RTE news and he definitely doesn't look like changing his mind about declaring for Ireland.

Interesting story on Yahoo:

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040427/4/3hvx.html

Looks like he is very sure of his decision to play for Ireland.

Dodge
27/04/2004, 10:06 AM
The interview was by Chic Young of BBC Scotland. He asked him about his future international career and he said (something along the lines of) "Well I'm happy with the Irish side" He said he chose and 16 and it was because his grandparents were Irish. Chic Young said (half jokingly) "Is there nothing we can do to make you change your mind, you know you still can declare for Scotland?" and he replied. "No, I've made my decision and I'm sticking with Ireland"

Lets hope he develops into a top player so. This is the sort of granny rule guy we need. make the decision when you're young. Miles better than having us as a last resort to international football

Éanna
27/04/2004, 10:27 AM
I saw a piece from the after match interview on RTE news and he definitely doesn't look like changing his mind about declaring for Ireland.Should ****ing hope so. Its not the kind of thing you should even think about changing your mind on.

Littlest Hobo
27/04/2004, 10:30 AM
Should ****ing hope so. Its not the kind of thing you should even think about changing your mind on.

****ing right on!! Can't wait to see the lad in action again. We could be on to a winner here :D

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 10:39 AM
The interview was by Chic Young of BBC Scotland. He asked him about his future international career and he said (something along the lines of) "Well I'm happy with the Irish side" He said he chose and 16 and it was because his grandparents were Irish. Chic Young said (half jokingly) "Is there nothing we can do to make you change your mind, you know you still can declare for Scotland?" and he replied. "No, I've made my decision and I'm sticking with Ireland"

Lets hope he develops into a top player so. This is the sort of granny rule guy we need. make the decision when you're young. Miles better than having us as a last resort to international football

In opting for us, Aiden McGeady demonstrates the special affinity with Ireland that many Celtic supporters feel. :) I know some hereabouts might not understand it, but believe me, I hear it all the time from fans whenever attending matches at CP.

Bowsy
27/04/2004, 10:56 AM
Yet more evidence that the lad's head is not for turning

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/scotland/3662853.stm

Paulie
27/04/2004, 11:03 AM
Should ****ing hope so. Its not the kind of thing you should even think about changing your mind on.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we should be under any illusions here folks. This lad has chosen Ireland not because he feels that he is Irish but because he feels that he has a greater chance of having a successful international career with us than he does with Scotland. I don't mean that he wouldn't get a game with them but that he feels because we have a number of better young players than Scotland he has a greater chance of playing in major tournaments if he opts for us. This is all of course going on the assumption that his career takes the path that people are predicting. This is a career move, nothing more nothing less. How would we view it if the fortunes of the two teams were reversed and an extremely highly thought of Irish player opted for Scotland and turned his back on his own country? I know that it's been said that he had trouble with the Scottish FA in the past but for somone so young to turn his back on his country because of the ineptitude of his football asscociation is in my view wrong. After all I'm sure we would like to feel that whichever 11 players are representing Ireland at any given match are doing exactly that, representing Ireland, not just the FAI. People are prepared to ignore all this on the basis that if he fulfills his promise it will suit our purposes but in my view he is making the wrong decision and it's one that if as he says himself, he is Scottish, then it is one which he may regret. Don't get me wrong. If he stays with us I will support him the same as I would any other player as I have with all the other players who have chosen us as a career move but I just feel that people are ingoring his motives on the basis that he has the potential to be a top quality player as opposed to the middle of the road type player that normally opts for us.

Éanna
27/04/2004, 12:02 PM
In opting for us, Aiden McGeady demonstrates the special affinity with Ireland that many Celtic supporters feel. :) I know some hereabouts might not understand it
that I can understand. Its the neanderthal affinity with Celtic that so many Irish people feel that I can't understand

Bowsy
27/04/2004, 12:10 PM
Think you make a very valid point Paulie. However if he's made a decision to play for Ireland at this young age his afinity for Scotland can't be all that strong either. I know of no 16-18 year old Irish kid who would choose to play for another nation when they could represent Ireland. Although happy with it, I do find his decision baffling. I can only assume he's not a very patriotic Scot and if he can turn his back on them I welcome his decision. Better than the Morrisons of this world IMO, as he could have been playing for Scotland in a few months considering their other options.

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 12:11 PM
that I can understand. Its the neanderthal affinity with Celtic that so many Irish people feel that I can't understand

Thanks for differentiating, Éanna; let's hope a few more round here will do the same. A quick anecdote to illustrate your point:

My parents spent much of the last ten years living in a ****pot town near Tullamore in Offaly (they had to move away, but that's a whole other story). About five years ago on a St Stephen's Day, I was in one of the local pubs to watch the Old Firm derby. Given that I've got an English accent, I spent most of the game having insults thrown at me for being a "hun", an "English b***ard", et cetera, ad bloody nauseam. Now, I might have taken this ordinarily (I was well outnumbered), but at the time I was a Celtic season ticket holder. I asked one of the ******s who was most vociferous in his abuse had he ever been to Celtic Park, at which one of his mates laughed and replied "he's never been outta Oireland!"

Some Celtic fans. Enough said.

:rolleyes: :) PP

Éanna
27/04/2004, 12:16 PM
Those are exactly the sort I'm on about. The point I've made before is: if you're living in Ireland, these people constitute the vast majority of Celtic "fans" you meet, so I do understand why people on this board have a problem with Celtic

Paulie
27/04/2004, 12:38 PM
[ as he could have been playing for Scotland in a few months considering their other options.[/QUOTE]

If he's going to be as good as people reckon, given our lack of quality strikers (Keane and Duff when he plays there apart) he could be playing for our full team by this Autumn or early next year. With Larsson leaving Celtic he could well be a regular starter with them next season so anything is possible.

Beavis
27/04/2004, 1:09 PM
In opting for us, Aiden McGeady demonstrates the special affinity with Ireland that many Celtic supporters feel.I know some hereabouts might not understand it, but believe me, I hear it all the time from fans whenever attending matches at CP.

Do we get many Scots at Lansdowne? :confused: (I didn't think we did)

I know of no 16-18 year old Irish kid who would choose to play for another nation when they could represent Ireland

Give it 15 years for immigration to kick in...........

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 2:12 PM
Do we get many Scots at Lansdowne? :confused: (I didn't think we did)

Why would we? Surely they'd be supporting their own country. We get a fair few Glaswegian Irish through the gates at LR though. ;)

Eirambler
27/04/2004, 2:15 PM
I think its unfair to just assume that he's only joining us because we're better.

Scotland have plenty of good young players too (Fletcher, Kennedy, Marshall, McFadden) so I think they're going too improve in the next year or two.

He used to spend his summers here, he obviously feels an affinity with the country so he's decided to come and play for us. Great!

Stop knocking him, he's getting enough from Scotland fans.

Imagine the abuse he'll get at Ibrox Old Firm games because of this decision.

It's interesting to see the references to Fletcher in those articles. I remember reading about two years ago that Roy Keane was always at him to declare for us. You can't blame him for picking his home country but he would have been a great addition to our squad...

Éanna
27/04/2004, 4:28 PM
You can't blame him for picking his home country but he would have been a great addition to our squad...
Would he? Only seen the guy a few times, but he didn't look great to me at all

tiktok
27/04/2004, 8:23 PM
Would he? Only seen the guy a few times, but he didn't look great to me at all

I've seen a lot of him and at the start I shared you're opinion, didn't really see what the fuss was about, but as he's been getting more games under his belt, the Utd fans are starting to see in him what Keane did so long ago.

He's a tenacious tackler, passes well, good on the ball and rarely get's himself in trouble, he basically does all the basic stuff very well. Add the ability to get from box to box with an ability to score a few, take my word for it when I tell you Scotland have a gem.

eirebhoy
27/04/2004, 8:47 PM
take my word for it when I tell you Scotland have a gem.
Ireland have a gem. ;)

Jim Smith
27/04/2004, 10:39 PM
Imagine the abuse he'll get at Ibrox Old Firm games because of this decision.

I suspect that he would get just as much abuse if he had declared for Scotland from that lot.

I too don't think that this was a career move on his part. If he was older, yes, but he made the descision a couple of years ago when he was essentially a child. Tommy Burns couldn't persuade him (if he had listened to Berti he would surely have been certified) nor could his father. I'm not going to get into a row about what it is to be Irish because I'm in no way qualified to hold an opinion but if he wants to play for Ireland and he qualifies to play for you then good luck to him (with the obvious exceptions).

/Update/
I was speaking to my father this morning and I am way off the mark (surprise surprise :( ). Paulie is right about McGeady thinking about his career first and foremost. According to the auld yin he thinks that he has a much better chance of a big international career with Ireland and has said as much himself. Changed times indeed since the days of Ray Houghton....

Jam
29/04/2004, 11:40 AM
Well from a Scottish perspective -we think the following:

1) the folk that run Scottish football are numpties and should be sacked as this sort of thing shouldn't happen.

2) McGeady is a traitor and has no doubt been influenced by some of the 'Oirish' that have never been to Ireland that frequent Celtic Park.

But our loss is your gain.

eirebhoy
29/04/2004, 12:07 PM
I know how you feel mate and I'm sure we'd feel the same if it was the other way around but I hope McGeady doesn't get a hard time over this. I can see him being booed at every away match and I really hope thats not the case otherwise, not only the Scottish team but Scottish football will lose a gem.

Plastic Paddy
29/04/2004, 12:32 PM
I know how you feel mate and I'm sure we'd feel the same if it was the other way around but I hope McGeady doesn't get a hard time over this. I can see him being booed at every away match and I really hope thats not the case otherwise, not only the Scottish team but Scottish football will lose a gem.

Just you wait until he has to play at Mordor in an OF game. :eek: I would lay a bet now that those that will give him the most abuse will be among the ones found wearing England shirts at Ibrox. :confused:

:ball: PP

Jam
29/04/2004, 12:50 PM
well can't say I like or respect him. Wouldn't boo him, but won't bemoan the loss of a potential talent if it fails to materialise.

Imagine if Robbie Keane played for Scotland cos of a grandad when he was Irish through and thorugh basically - half of Scotland has an Irish grandad for god's sake. Bet he'd be the flavour of the month with youse. :rolleyes:

He'll be booed at Ibrox alright - although most of them probably won't even know why as they take so little interest in the Scottish national team.

He might be booed at other grounds as the tartan army is bigger there and they'll ken alright. Difficult to say...

Oh phuck it - I support Dunfermline. Maybe I will boo him after all. :D ;)

............but that would only serve to reinforce the divide in Scottish fitba as the paranoid element at Celtic Park would perceive that as an anti-Catholic or anti-Irishness instead of a reaction to his slight to our national team (country essentially). :confused:

Plastic Paddy
29/04/2004, 12:59 PM
...but that would only serve to reinforce the divide in Scottish fitba as the paranoid element at Celtic Park would perceive that as an anti-Catholic or anti-Irishness instead of a reaction to his slight to our national team (country essentially). :confused:

Speaking as a Celtic fan, we're not paranoid. You lot really are out to get us. :-p ;)

Seriously, I am inclined to agree with you, and yes, I'd feel exactly the same had Robbie Keane or his equivalent done as McGeady has. Some of the more "reactionary" elements at CP will interpret any booing in exactly the way you suggest, unfortunately.

All the best for the upcoming Cup Final. Hope you finish second. ;)

Eirambler
01/05/2004, 2:04 PM
Talk about rubbing it in...

From rte.ie/sport

McGeady may confirm Irish status v Scotland

Celtic starlet Aiden McGeady may make his debut for the Republic of Ireland against Scotland.

McGeady has already pledged his allegiance to Ireland, the country of his grandparents, but his obvious potential means he has also been vigorously chased by the Scotland camp.

The 19-year-old hit the headlines last weekend when he scored in the 1-1 draw against Hearts but his talent was spotted long before his Hoops debut at Tynecastle.

Despite being born in Glasgow, he has opted for Brian Kerr's Republic side rather than the country of his birth, and has featured at youth level.

The Republic are now keen to confirm his status as an Irish international by selecting him for the under-21 squad, and their next scheduled game is a friendly against Scotland later this month.

Ireland under-21 manager Don Givens said: "I would think that, if the player is okay with it, then he would be in the squad.

"We are aware that Scotland want him and are keen to get him involved as quickly as possible.

"We have a couple of injuries but, in any case, his was the first name that came to mind when I started thinking about the squad."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know theres still nothing to stop him changing his allegiance even after playing U-21. Even still though, thats got to be a bit of a kick in the teeth for the Scots...

only1kilbane
01/05/2004, 2:55 PM
I think its the best game to put him in. Will show him he is in the thinking of Brian with the 21 call up. Bit of a kick in the nuts for the scots though ! Hopefully he will develop quickly enough as we badly need someone to partner Robbie !

ElSieteSecretos
02/05/2004, 4:42 PM
I dont know if its hard for the scottish people to accepts that he wants to play for Ireland but they have to like it or lump it. Its because he wants to play for a better team and he likes this country! It is better for him to play with the U-21 (against scotland+score:D)develop that try to rush him to play the full international.