PDA

View Full Version : RTE to show live games on Saturday afternoons?

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
31/08/2010, 1:05 PM
MNS announced last night that one of the Cup quarter finals would be televised at 1pm on Saturday 18th September.

Is this a forerunner for more live games on saturday afternoon? RTE just announced details of its Magner's League coverage (http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/magnersleague/2010/0830/magners.html) which, I assume, will take precedent over LOI games

COn Murphy said that more live games are on the way. Will they all be Saturday afternoon?

Pats v Fingal is probably the tie of the round so that might be the game shown. It'll knock 500 off our gate IMO.

Spudulika
31/08/2010, 1:11 PM
Brilliant news as Saturday afternoon will bring in a pretty decent viewership. A good chance for Pats to balance things - they'll get a fee from RTE plus they can get a little more from the sponsors as this would fall outside of the standard contract. And if the FAI and the clubs can co-operate to make sure the place is full or nearly.......

Dodge
31/08/2010, 1:21 PM
Brilliant news as Saturday afternoon will bring in a pretty decent viewership.
Basis for this? Clashes with UK football and junior/intermediate and schoolboy football

A good chance for Pats to balance things - they'll get a fee from RTE plus they can get a little more from the sponsors as this would fall outside of the standard contract

Fee is miniscule. You've no clue about how many live games are included in contacts agreements (and completely irrelevent to the saturday 1pm argument)

Spudulika
31/08/2010, 1:36 PM
Basis for this? Clashes with UK football and junior/intermediate and schoolboy football
1pm kick off time will balance this, and if marketed well can bring in some floating viewers (I don't know the name of the sky show, but it will just have finished so there will be something to click to).

Fee is miniscule. You've no clue about how many live games are included in contacts agreements (and completely irrelevent to the saturday 1pm argument)
If you've a clue it'd be nice to know as each club lines up contracts differently, would the fee cover the 500 you've knocked off the crowd (in your opinion of course).

Dodge
31/08/2010, 1:46 PM
would the fee cover the 500 you've knocked off the crowd (in your opinion of course).

The fee is €3,000

Macy
31/08/2010, 1:47 PM
No idea on the effect on gates, but I would've thought 3pm on Saturday would make more sense for viewing figures rather than going up against the early EPL game?

Spudulika
31/08/2010, 1:51 PM
Depends on what the early EPL game is, unless it's one of the sky favourites then it's not going to be too bad - Blackpool vs someone else isn't going to cripple it.

Dodge
31/08/2010, 2:02 PM
TBH the real problems with Saturday afternoon are the clashes with junior, intermediate and kids football

Demoshield
31/08/2010, 2:07 PM
RTE have the rights to Magners League Rugby for the next three seasons. That's the live sport the will be showing most Friday nights. TG4 also have rights to some of the rugby games so I presume their coverage of the league will be gone also.

ger121
31/08/2010, 3:12 PM
A decent amount of games take place in the LOI off season, plus the 20 games per team are spread out up until April/May. Games are also played on Saturdays & Sundays. I had a Leinster season ticket last year and most of the games didn't clash with Bohs on a Friday night. I'd say that we'll still see some LOI games on RTE on a Friday night before the end of the season and again next year.

Mark
31/08/2010, 5:02 PM
MNS announced last night that one of the Cup quarter finals would be televised at 1pm on Saturday 18th September.

I heard them say one of the games would be live on the Saturday but I didn't hear 1pm mentioned? Sorry, maybe I missed it! Are TG4 showing any of them as like in previous years? They ran an ad during Two and a Half Men recently in which 'Sacar Beo' was mentioned along with Rugbai Beo etc but they've not shown anything at all this year.

Spudulika
31/08/2010, 5:24 PM
It was definitely 1pm, I just watched MNS on the live player and Con was exact with the time. They're not putting it on at that time to lose viewers, so they must have it right, somehow.....

The Lep
31/08/2010, 6:11 PM
Rte might not loose viewers but the match attendance will.

Dodge
31/08/2010, 7:23 PM
It was definitely 1pm, I just watched MNS on the live player and Con was exact with the time. They're not putting it on at that time to lose viewers, so they must have it right, somehow.....

Lose viewers from what? Re runs of Monk or Nightrider?

sundance kid
31/08/2010, 8:25 PM
As an aside, pats v rovers is live next friday.

Tony Soprano
31/08/2010, 8:37 PM
it appears live games for the rest of the season are now as follows (FAI Cup QF has seemingly replaced live LOI game this weekend)

Fri Sep 10 LOI on RTE - 7:35 KO, goes up against Munster v Edinburgh live on on TG4 at the same time

Sat Sep 18 1pm KO for FAI Cup QF. RTE are showing Ulster (!) v Edinburgh on the Friday night, TG4 showing Leinster on the Saturday night

Fri Sep 24 looks like a regular 7:35 KO, no rugby on RTE or TG4 that night

Fri Oct 1 again no rugby on RTE or TG4 so regular 7:35 for LOI on RTE

Fri Oct 8 no Magners League (though ulster are playing in the heineken cup on sky) so Friday night for LOI

Fri Oct 15 no Magners League (or heineken cup) so Friday night and Sunday afternoon for FAI Cup SFs. irish teams play on the saturday i the h cup.

Fri Oct 22 live LOI on RTE, goes up against Munster on TG4

Fri Oct 29 live LOI on RTE, nothing on TG4

Sun Nov 14 FAI Cup Final - no rugby to interfere with this

so implications of Magners League for LOI :

one game moved to Sat 1 pm

two games will have to go head to head with rugby on TG4

remains to be seen how they will clash next year (start of February to end of May)

Spudulika
01/09/2010, 7:41 AM
Lose viewers from what? Re runs of Monk or Nightrider?

I'd better explain in simpler terms - they have a set number of viewers at this time each Saturday, so they will not wish to lose any from this total. I think that's quite straightforward, they know it won't be a spike on the ratings chart, but if it maintains what it does regularly therefore they can justify it.

Incidentally has anybody checked what live sky league games are on then? No competition.

bennocelt
01/09/2010, 8:05 AM
Sun Nov 14 FAI Cup Final - no rugby to interfere with this

so implications of Magners League for LOI :

one game moved to Sat 1 pm

two games will have to go head to head with rugby on TG4

remains to be seen how they will clash next year (start of February to end of May)

It will be a sad day for the LOI and Ireland if they have to worry about Rugby taking fans from the grounds, etc. Whatever about Premiership, but RUGBY.
:eek:

Dodge
01/09/2010, 9:12 AM
I'd better explain in simpler terms - they have a set number of viewers at this time each Saturday, so they will not wish to lose any from this total. I think that's quite straightforward, they know it won't be a spike on the ratings chart, but if it maintains what it does regularly therefore they can justify it.

Hmm, you're presuming there's no cost to these programmes. There is. Viewers don't matter (directly). If RTE make a greater profit (advertising income less production/purchase costs) showing cheap re-runs as opposed to relatively expensive live broadcasts, then they won't be happy with the FAI Cup game.

Macy
01/09/2010, 12:03 PM
It will be a sad day for the LOI and Ireland if they have to worry about Rugby taking fans from the grounds, etc. Whatever about Premiership, but RUGBY.
Leinster and Munster are the only teams in the state that consistently get crowds, out of any "code". The fact that they're among the best teams in Europe is entirely coincidental, of course.

Tony Soprano
01/09/2010, 4:42 PM

I was talking more about competing for TV audiences

not great for LOI on RTE if Munster or Leinster are on TG4 at the same time

Spudulika
02/09/2010, 1:00 PM
Hmm, you're presuming there's no cost to these programmes. There is. Viewers don't matter (directly). If RTE make a greater profit (advertising income less production/purchase costs) showing cheap re-runs as opposed to relatively expensive live broadcasts, then they won't be happy with the FAI Cup game.

Good point - though I have a feeling they'll earn out of this, RTE have shown in the past they won't do anything without looking to turn a buck, or else it'd be a re-hash of MASH or some such. I'm sure Ford have a hand in it.

Dodge
02/09/2010, 1:35 PM
The main reason they're contractually obliged...

Dodge
02/09/2010, 7:41 PM
Pats v Fingal confirmed as 1pm on the Saturday

Lamper.sffc
02/09/2010, 8:02 PM
Pats v Fingal confirmed as 1pm on the Saturday

Looking forward to it. Very early kick off though, not too happy with that.

I guess they are doing it due to the fact the two clubs have a long history of bitter rivalry over the years. Also the fact we will be bringing a very sizeable away support (as usual I might add) that may end up causing crowd troubles and congestion problems. May I also add, to any and the many fingal fans travelling that if you dont have a ticket please dont travel, thank you.

mypost
02/09/2010, 8:18 PM
it appears live games for the rest of the season are now as follows

Fri Oct 8 no Magners League (though ulster are playing in the heineken cup on sky) so Friday night for LOI

:D:D:D

Not on an International night, it isn't............

sheao
02/09/2010, 9:38 PM
Looking forward to it. Very early kick off though, not too happy with that.

I guess they are doing it due to the fact the two clubs have a long history of bitter rivalry over the years. Also the fact we will be bringing a very sizeable away support (as usual I might add) that may end up causing crowd troubles and congestion problems. May I also add, to any and the many fingal fans travelling that if you dont have a ticket please dont travel, thank you.

Did'nt take long for that bitter rivalry to stem up :P.

GUFCghost
05/09/2010, 9:54 PM
TBH the real problems with Saturday afternoon are the clashes with junior, intermediate and kids footballThat's on a Saturday morning,why would someone not interrested in LOI football watch it on a Friday anyway?

Dodge
05/09/2010, 10:00 PM
That's on a Saturday morning,why would someone not interrested in LOI football watch it on a Friday anyway?

Because there's no other football on?

My point wasn't about TV ratings. My point was that moving the game will massively affect our home crowd

danthesaint
08/09/2010, 6:16 PM
St Patrick's Athletic and Sporting Fingal taking place on Saturday September 18th at 1pm

Sporting Fingal v St. Patrick’s Athletic, Saturday, 2nd October at Morton Stadium with a kick-off time of 1.00 pm. The match will be broadcast live on RTE TWO.

St. Patrick’s Athletic v Bohemians Saturday, 9th October at Richmond Park with a kick-off time of 1.00 pm. The match will be broadcast live on RTE TWO

GGAJD
08/09/2010, 6:38 PM
St Patrick's Athletic and Sporting Fingal taking place on Saturday September 18th at 1pm

Sporting Fingal v St. Patrick’s Athletic, Saturday, 2nd October at Morton Stadium with a kick-off time of 1.00 pm. The match will be broadcast live on RTE TWO.

St. Patrick’s Athletic v Bohemians Saturday, 9th October at Richmond Park with a kick-off time of 1.00 pm. The match will be broadcast live on RTE TWO

Rovers v Fingal on sellatanta at three that day aswell.

Martinho II
08/09/2010, 7:51 PM
Rovers v Fingal on sellatanta at three that day aswell.
how could there be two differnet live matches on the same day by two separate channels??:confused:

Mr A
08/09/2010, 11:01 PM
Seems completely mental to have Pats-Bohs on at 1pm.

GGAJD
09/09/2010, 12:07 AM
how could there be two differnet live matches on the same day by two separate channels??:confused:

The games don't overlap.

danthesaint
09/09/2010, 12:21 AM
Seems completely mental to have Pats-Bohs on at 1pm.

yeah im fookin raging, ill miss it, poxy guitar lesson at 2, only missed one league game all season, arrrrrrrgggghhhh

total hoofball
09/09/2010, 12:23 AM
Unimpressed by the initial constant choice of games all involving Pats, Fingal and Bohs. It's far too repetitive and boring for the neutrals seeing the same teams on the box playing each other all the time. There's a good relegation and play-off scrap going on too that could do with a game or two RTE ya know !

Also these Saturday 1pm kick-offs are going to be a total disaster for attendances and viewership. Clowns.

oriel
09/09/2010, 12:15 PM
DFC have fixed our home game with Sligo for Sat 9th Oct 2pm, due to the Ire v Russia game Fri, I doubt this will be on live tv, but what a stupid date/time to fix a game.

Mr A
09/09/2010, 12:17 PM
DFC have fixed our home game with Sligo for Sat 9th Oct 2pm, due to the Ire v Russia game Fri, I doubt this will be on live tv, but what a stupid date/time to fix a game.

It's not a great time, but if the club were to make a family day out of it it could be made to work on a one off basis.

pineapple stu
09/09/2010, 12:23 PM
I was going to post, "Are there any circumstances under which they would consider broadcasting a match involving a team from outside Dublin?"
Yep; this TV deal is a real boon to us Dublin clubs. :)

Dunny
09/09/2010, 12:27 PM
It's not a great time, but if the club were to make a family day out of it it could be made to work on a one off basis.

True Mr A.

Still, no atmosphere at that time.

Would have loved a Thursday night KO.

legendz
09/09/2010, 1:14 PM
I think a few more games could be played on Saturday afternoons.

Tony Soprano
09/09/2010, 7:02 PM

Thursday nights much better for the league than early Saturday afternoon

unfortunately first two of those matches would be going up against Europa League if held on the Thursday

last one wouldn't

how about Sunday evening (6:00) KO ?

Martinho II
09/09/2010, 7:52 PM
The games don't overlap.

grand thats solved that out for me cheers..

danthesaint
12/09/2010, 2:34 PM
has any fingal fan heard anything about the morton not being available on the 2nd October due to athletics??

someone heard it at our game the other night

Lamper.sffc
12/09/2010, 3:09 PM
No, didnt hear anything about it. Not yet anyway.

Dodge
19/09/2010, 10:46 AM
Anyone still want to argue that Satuday 1pm kick offs are a good idea?

Lamper.sffc
19/09/2010, 12:21 PM
Anyone still want to argue that Satuday 1pm kick offs are a good idea?

Well our away crowd was bigger than usual;)

Spudulika
19/09/2010, 3:10 PM
Caught the first half and began to wonder what kind of viewership registered. I guess it goes to show the following our league has.

Saint_Charlie
19/09/2010, 3:24 PM
Caught the first half and began to wonder what kind of viewership registered. I guess it goes to show the following our league has.

Not really. It shows what damage moving the games from a Friday night does.

Martinho II
19/09/2010, 3:43 PM
Not really. It shows what damage moving the games from a Friday night does.

729 people is a poor reflection on rtes decision to move it till a saturday afternoon.. I sincerely hope that they leave the fai semis times untouched..