PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to transfer money from UK to Ireland

the ox
30/08/2010, 10:12 AM
Anyone know a good one, for transferring between £100 and £1000? Don't want to be hit by massive fees each time.

KevB76
30/08/2010, 12:09 PM
If you have an AIB account here you can do it free of charge if its not urgent (takes about a week to tranfer the funds).
If its urgent there is a charge.

...sorry thats Ireland to UK, dont know about the other way.

Bluebeard
30/08/2010, 2:57 PM
Unfortunately the cheapest way is the second fastest - find someone you know who is travelling to Ireland and give them an envelope.

If you don't trust them, just tell them that they needn't worry about the guards because it is very well wrapped, but that it might be an idea not to get any of it on their fingers before border controls. A mexican 'tache will also help.

thischarmingman
30/08/2010, 3:50 PM
Student loan?

Had the same trouble for years, as does my brother at the moment. Thought it was ridiculous my BOI account in the north couldn't transfer to the southern one. Mainly just ended up withdrawing the money in the north and then depositing it over the border. Depends where you live, but we used to go across the border to Moville and deposit everything there sans charges.

John83
30/08/2010, 6:19 PM
Student loan?

Had the same trouble for years, as does my brother at the moment. Thought it was ridiculous my BOI account in the north couldn't transfer to the southern one. Mainly just ended up withdrawing the money in the north and then depositing it over the border. Depends where you live, but we used to go across the border to Moville and deposit everything there sans charges.
Jaysus, TCM, the anti-money-laundering wing of the Gardai must have a file on you THIS thick.

thischarmingman
31/08/2010, 12:10 AM
Jaysus, TCM, the anti-money-laundering wing of the Gardai must have a file on you THIS thick.

They've printed out every post I've ever made on Foot.ie as part of their investigation and are particularly interested in the POTM* forum.

*Plenty Of Taxpayer's Money

Poor Student
02/09/2010, 8:11 PM
In Ireland the best way to transfer money to the UK is via electronic international transfer with a bank (must go bank account to bank account) sent as euros. Under SEPA (the Single European Payment Area) euros can be transferred quickly and cheaply, as Kev points out it is free of charge under certain circumstances with some banks' internet banking services. I don't know if UK offer similarly cheap payments in euro to SEPA countries, even if they do you'll still have to have your pounds converted to euro before they're transferred.