PDA

View Full Version : Newstalk cup final?

Martinho II
25/08/2010, 8:10 PM
http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php/clubs/premier-division/sporting-fingal/latest-news/2322-crowe-on-the-double-as-fingal-win-newstalk-cup

does anyone have any idea what this is about??

HarpoJoyce
25/08/2010, 8:20 PM
http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php/clubs/premier-division/sporting-fingal/latest-news/2322-crowe-on-the-double-as-fingal-win-newstalk-cup

does anyone have any idea what this is about??

Yes, I can help.
It's the evidence of the continued Juggernaut that is Sporting Fingal hoovering up trophies and providing motivation for their reserve and squad players. While it is true that the 'Newstalk Cup' has a media outlet as a sponsor, this should not be seen as devalueing of the competition. Although that can prove difficult.

The group stage of the Newstalk Cup was competed for before the beginning of the 'A' Championship season. UCD got spanked by Sporting Fingal in Newstalk Cup group stage (perhaps Matchday 3).

legendz
26/08/2010, 10:25 AM
The whole idea of the cup was to get more games for A championship clubs. With 9 teams, they only get 16 league games. Early days for that new tier. They'll probably try a few formats before things settle down a bit.

balls
26/08/2010, 10:52 AM
fingal have some reserve side , did i see in paper that eamon zayed and glenn crowe were the 2 strikers for there a team

Lamper.sffc
26/08/2010, 11:00 AM
fingal have some reserve side , did i see in paper that eamon zayed and glenn crowe were the 2 strikers for there a team

You did. I think we had 5 lads who would be in the first team squad but not always start. Crowe, Zayed, Brendan Clarke, Collie James and Gannon.

I was at the game. Nice for us to win another bit of silverware. The game itself was very good with plenty of chances for both sides.

Dodge
26/08/2010, 11:10 AM

Nice to see them give youth its chance in the reserves

Lamper.sffc
26/08/2010, 11:53 AM
and keeping players who are out of the first team match fit. Reserves not youth team

dcfcsteve
26/08/2010, 12:34 PM
Does this trophy have a proper non-sponsor name ?

Given that sponsors come and go, it's usual to have a proper name that the sponsor's then get appended on to (e.g. the Airtricity League of Ireland). That's assuming they expect it to last more than a few seasons/one sponsor.... :D

Dodge
26/08/2010, 12:46 PM
Its the A League Championship Cup.

Think it was run in 2008 and 2009 too (definitely 2009)

monkey9
26/08/2010, 10:23 PM
Hold on, sorry? What is this??