PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Airtricity Premier league?

Lamper.sffc
24/08/2010, 2:03 PM
We are now heading into the final phase of games, 9 to go for most.

I feel last nights result knocks us out of the running but im still hoping we can nick a European place.

So who will win it and who will finish where?

pineapple stu
24/08/2010, 2:08 PM
Rovers to win. They're in great form (25 points from 27 apparently) and have a five point gap with nine games to go, which is reasonably big. Means they can lose and draw a game, and Pat's or Bohs still have to win every game just to draw level.

I think second is between Pat's and Sligo. It seems to me (and I'm not exactly proefefssing to be an expert on Bohs on the pitch ;) ) that Bohs have dipped a lot since losing to TNS. Yes, they've won three in a row, but against Bray, Drogheda and Dundalk, and narrowly enough. Sligo are on great form by contrast, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass Bohs out. Fingal still look more interested in their pay packets than a title chase; hard to beat, yes, but not enough of a killer touch.

So I reckon -

Rovers
Pat's
Sligo
Bohs
Fungus

De Town
24/08/2010, 2:21 PM
Rovers have it in the bag I think. Sligo will get 2nd.

passinginterest
24/08/2010, 2:27 PM
Don't think it's quite wrapped up for Rovers, to me their confidence still looks a bit fragile. Against UCD they started well and were knocking it about but they made a few errors and got very panicky for a period before and after the UCD goal. It was arguably a fluke from Dennehey that settled them down again. If they were to drop a few points I don't think they have enough belief in their ability to play football to not resort to going direct and if they do that they'll drop even more points, they're a much better side when they pass it on the deck. Bohs are building a bit of momentum, even if not playing too well, and are capable of taking at least 24/27 points if they can keep it up, if they beat Rovers in Dalymount on a run like that then the pressure would be immense.

Lamper.sffc
24/08/2010, 2:29 PM
Rovers to win. They're in great form (25 points from 27 apparently) and have a five point gap with nine games to go, which is reasonably big. Means they can lose and draw a game, and Pat's still have to win every game just to draw level.

I think second is between Pat's and Sligo. It seems to me (and I'm not exactly proefssing to be an expert on Bohs on the pitch ;) ) that they've dipped a lot since losing to TNS. Yes, they've won three in a row, but against Bray, Drogheda and Dundalk, and narrowly enough. Sligo are on great form by contrast, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass Bohs out. Fingal still look more interested in their pay packets than a title chase; hard to beat, yes, but not enough of a killer touch.

So I reckon -

Rovers
Pat's
Sligo
Bohs
Fungus

Agree with killer instinct part as we have been the better team in a lot of games and lost or drew them. I dont think it has anything to do with pay packet though. If you run through our first eleven and beyond there really isnt any players that could be acussed of not trying for the club. So it really has nothing to do with that. A lack of decent finishing is the problem and some stupid mistakes at the back. All the lads we have brought in this season have been great. Not one of them hasnt given it 100%, We just fell short thats all. Maybe we have too many young lads in the team which sometimes means we fail to see out games. Anyway, its been a good season so far and iv enjoyed some great games watching Fingal this year.

I do feel it will be hard to finish above Sligo this year as they have been great in the last few months but I am always hopeful.

pineapple stu
24/08/2010, 2:31 PM
I dont think it has anything to do with pay packet though. If you run through our first eleven and beyond there really isnt any players that could be acussed of not trying for the club.
I missed our win in Morton, but the last half hour in the Bowl was the first time I'd ever seen Fingal come out and play. Every other game between us, they players have been lethargic way beyond their abilities, particularly in the First Division and - not hugely surprisingly, I thought - against Mervue in the Cup. Fingal aren't the sum of their parts for me, by a distance.

SkStu
24/08/2010, 2:43 PM
Shamwow Rovers should win it.

I think Pats are fading off and we are simply unpredictable (at best). We could go on a run and beat Rovers and Pats in the next series (which would put us seriously back in the hunt) but it just doesnt seem likely with the motley crew that Nutsy assembled this year and the strange decisions he has made in team selection. Id like to think we can get 2nd place but i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt. I like Pats and Sligo and hope they do well but id prefer if we could take second ahead of them both.

Lamper.sffc
24/08/2010, 2:44 PM
I missed our win in Morton, but the last half hour in the Bowl was the first time I'd ever seen Fingal come out and play. Every other game between us, they players have been lethargic way beyond their abilities, particularly in the First Division and - not hugely surprisingly, I thought - against Mervue in the Cup. Fingal aren't the sum of their parts for me, by a distance.

Its the first time iv seen us play that well against yous also. UCD have been our bogey team since the start of last season. Every team tends to have one, Just ask Rovers fans about us :).
We have been great in some games and not so in others. Like a lot of teams.
You should have seen some of the football last night from us, great to watch.
It is frustrating at times to see us play some of the best football in the league and still fall short in some games but I think this is down to younger players, naivety and tactics. We tend to try and defend 1 nil leads when its quite obvious we are well on top and should go for the second to kill the game off. I think it has been only 5 or 6 games we have not taken the lead in this year but ultimately we concede the equaliser. This to me shows naivety and nothing to do with pay packets imo. just one fans opinion, but I have seen plenty of the team this year to have a fairly good idea of where we are going right and wrong.

superjohnny
24/08/2010, 2:46 PM
Rovers to win. They're in great form (25 points from 27 apparently) and have a five point gap with nine games to go, which is reasonably big. Means they can lose and draw a game, and Pat's or Bohs still have to win every game just to draw level.

I think second is between Pat's and Sligo. It seems to me (and I'm not exactly proefefssing to be an expert on Bohs on the pitch ;) ) that Bohs have dipped a lot since losing to TNS. Yes, they've won three in a row, but against Bray, Drogheda and Dundalk, and narrowly enough. Sligo are on great form by contrast, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass Bohs out. Fingal still look more interested in their pay packets than a title chase; hard to beat, yes, but not enough of a killer touch.

So I reckon -

Rovers
Pat's
Sligo
Bohs
Fungus

Bray to stay up and drogheda to go down

Fixed that for you stu :-)

Hibs4Ever
24/08/2010, 2:50 PM
I think Pats are fading off and we are simply unpredictable (at best)..

Are you basing that solely on the defeat to Bray? Have St Pats even been outside the top 2 all season?

Riddickcule
24/08/2010, 2:55 PM
Rovers have it. They have the momentum.

As someone else mentioned Pats are unpredictable. Bohs are falling apart and Fingal are also unpredictable.

Lamper.sffc
24/08/2010, 2:57 PM
Shamwow Rovers should win it.

I think Pats are fading off and we are simply unpredictable (at best). We could go on a run and beat Rovers and Pats in the next series (which would put us seriously back in the hunt) but it just doesnt seem likely with the motley crew that Nutsy assembled this year and the strange decisions he has made in team selection. Id like to think we can get 2nd place but i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt. I like Pats and Sligo and hope they do well but id prefer if we could take second ahead of them both.

I dont know. I was starting to think that before last nights game, but we played really well last night and they still beat us. They are a tough little team to beat. In last nights game they seemed content to keep it tight and hit us on the break but a soon as they went behind they showed they can up it and put us under a fair bit of pressure and got 2-1 ahead. We came back and equalised and then they came again when it looked more likely we would get the win. There is a lot of fight in that team.

SkStu
24/08/2010, 3:04 PM
Are you basing that solely on the defeat to Bray? Have St Pats even been outside the top 2 all season?

hey im not trying to offend anyone - i just think they are beginning to slow down.

Plus, if i say it enough it might start to happen.

tippex
24/08/2010, 3:47 PM
Rovers for me.

And just to add we will get off the bottom and be replaced by drogheda and also win the playoff to stay up.

danthesaint
24/08/2010, 3:57 PM
hey im not trying to offend anyone - i just think they are beginning to slow down.

Plus, if i say it enough it might start to happen.

didnt look like it last night, i think we will be ok, as soon as ours injuries come back

think rovers have an advantage playing tricky games at 'home'

Dunny
24/08/2010, 3:58 PM
I hope Pats can pull it off tbh.

BohsPartisan
24/08/2010, 4:09 PM
Think Stu summed it up. It's Rovers to lose and it will take an implosion bigger than last years for that to happen.

hoops1
24/08/2010, 4:28 PM
Think Stu summed it up. It's Rovers to lose and it will take an implosion bigger than last years for that to happen.

We lost 1 league game in 27. Some implosion. We lost the league because of how we started not how we finished no matter what way you try to spin it.

danthesaint
24/08/2010, 5:39 PM
We lost 1 league game in 27. Some implosion. We lost the league because of how we started not how we finished no matter what way you try to spin it.

you lost the league no matter what spin you put on it!!!!

SkStu
24/08/2010, 5:55 PM
More concerned with more lowly matters but as a Man U fan who is often been subjected to abuse by ABU's I'm afraid my dislike of Pat means I've betrayed my principles and become an ABB - Go the Rovers!

what about St. Nutsy's Athletic.... oh wait, i see....

Darkglasses
24/08/2010, 8:05 PM
Can't see how Rovers will lose it, but I'd like to see Pats keep up the chase at least.

BohsPartisan
24/08/2010, 8:30 PM

Jesus, someone's touchy. Bohs fan says he thinks Rovers will win the league. Rovers fan finds way to get offended. Shocker.

dfx-
24/08/2010, 8:43 PM
8 wins out of 9 have put Rovers in place to win it, but there's more than enough time to blow it...

How Rovers come out of SPA/Dundalk away will be telling for me. Momentum out of those games would be handy..

I agree with SKStu* Pats are stuttering for me...

*Yes, I have checked, the moons have aligned and the one with the American flag stuck in it is coloured blue.

Mr A
24/08/2010, 8:48 PM
Shamrock Rovers have to win it from here. Sligo are the other form team but are too far back.

bingoballs
24/08/2010, 10:05 PM
I had a few bob on Pats 2 weeks ago at 4/1. Its no fluke they are where they are in the table and if Shams do slip up, they will be the team to capitolize. Thats a big if though and it would take a serious nose bleed for Shams to throw it away now. Much and all as i dislike O Neill, I can't see him letting the hoops throw away their lead so it has to be Shams for me, Pats second and if we can maintain our current form, Rovers third. Still plenty of twists and turns to come yet though.

WoodquayBoy
24/08/2010, 10:34 PM
Pats were always my 'other' team so, presuming we're not going to win it, hope they do. That said, think Rovers have it wrapped up.

PartySaint
26/08/2010, 8:00 PM
Most of me thinks Rovers will win it, 25 points out of 27 is unbelievable but a small part of me thinks they cant do that again and they have peaked to early and i feel the same about Sligo but Rovers havnet lost in the league since May so its hard to see them losing 3 games to throw it away now

In the first round of games we lost 1 game (Drogheda) in the second round we lost 3 (Rovers, UCD, Drogheda) and in the last round we lost 2 (Rovers, Bray) I can see us losing atleast another 2 in this round,The next 3 weeks are huge for us, We play Galway Friday week then Rovers then UCD while Rovers play Sligo Us and Dundalk, It will be interesting to see the table after that, If we come out of this season with a European place i will be delighted, If we can do that by winning the cup even better

NOTE: I havent ruled Bohs out of the equation just dont no your next few fixtures to compare and im not arsed checking

PartySaint
26/08/2010, 8:10 PM
I dont know. I was starting to think that before last nights game, but we played really well last night and they still beat us. They are a tough little team to beat. In last nights game they seemed content to keep it tight and hit us on the break but a soon as they went behind they showed they can up it and put us under a fair bit of pressure and got 2-1 ahead. We came back and equalised and then they came again when it looked more likely we would get the win. There is a lot of fight in that team.

That just hurts coming from a fingal fan

Lamper.sffc
03/09/2010, 11:58 PM
Pretty good night for Rovers. Would be very surprised if they threw it away now. As for ourselves, well not much has changed after tonights results. We are still in the hunt for a European place and have put another point between ourselves and sligo.

PartySaint
04/09/2010, 12:08 AM
Rovers title now, Hopefully we can hang onto our European place

PartySaint
04/09/2010, 5:00 PM
Not so fast there PartySaint, not so long ago bookies were looking at paying out on bets for Derry to win the First Division, a month of the jitters and we're nervously looking over our shoulders.

24 points to play for and we have to get at least 7 more than Rovers,We probably have to win 7 of our games to have a chance of winning it and with Rovers Bohs Fingal and Sligo still to come i dont see that happening

PartySaint
05/09/2010, 10:22 AM
You never know but, hope, sometimes defying all logic, is why we're all in this business.

I hope your right

legendz
05/09/2010, 10:54 AM
I can't see Rovers being caught. I hope they will be good champions for the League of Ireland and that they'll represent the country well in Europe.

dfx-
07/09/2010, 11:16 AM
24 points to play for and we have to get at least 7 more than Rovers,We probably have to win 7 of our games to have a chance of winning it and with Rovers Bohs Fingal and Sligo still to come i dont see that happening

You never know what can happen with teams in mid-table obscurity resting players for cup games that they then lose at the death etc etc.

That it is in Rovers' hands even with two defeats at Dalymount and Richmond is an advantage, but plenty of slip ups and pressure to come..

Mr A
07/09/2010, 12:36 PM
If Rovers lose it now O'Neill should be shot with a ball of his own excrement.

Schumi
07/09/2010, 1:46 PM
If Rovers lose it now O'Neill should be shot with a ball of his own excrement.

Never mind whether they lose it or not.

Port Saint
07/09/2010, 1:59 PM
I can't see Rovers losing it from here, they just have that look even when they were chasing Pats

From a Pats point of view I think we won 7 in a row to win the poisoned 2002 league and we were 5 down with 2 games to play in 1998 and went on to win it.....so from experince it aint over til the fat lady sings (or the courts decide otherwise)

danthesaint
09/09/2010, 1:27 AM
just lookin at bohs fixtures, i wouldnt write them out of it either. altho sligo away is going to be tricky

juan
09/09/2010, 2:08 AM
I think I speak for all of us when I say football is the real winner.

PartySaint
09/09/2010, 12:10 PM
I think I speak for all of us when I say football is the real winner.

If either us or Rovers win it Sligo fans may disagree with you on that

bingoballs
10/09/2010, 11:16 AM
If either us or Rovers win it Sligo fans may disagree with you on that

The league table never lies.

hoops1
10/09/2010, 11:28 AM
Unless its on Aertel.

legendz
10/09/2010, 2:49 PM
It's the Premier Division, not the Premier League!
Shamrock Rovers will win the league, looking forward to seeing the game tonight.

dong
10/09/2010, 3:38 PM
I think Pats could do the business tonight.
If they win I could see the wheels coming off the wagon for Shams. Seriously tense fixture tonight. Wouldn't expect classic football but if there's an early goal it could be a dramatic game!
Pats for the league. Mahon is a bit of a moaner but he's a likeable guy really. It would be a massive triumph for him personally and for them as a club if they could pull it off considering how they struggled last year and how most pundits never saw them seeing it out and winning the league this year .

dong
10/09/2010, 10:13 PM
I think Pats could do the business tonight.
If they win I could see the wheels coming off the wagon for Shams. Seriously tense fixture tonight. Wouldn't expect classic football but if there's an early goal it could be a dramatic game!
Pats for the league. Mahon is a bit of a moaner but he's a likeable guy really. It would be a massive triumph for him personally and for them as a club if they could pull it off considering how they struggled last year and how most pundits never saw them seeing it out and winning the league this year .

Prophetic.

placid casual
11/09/2010, 12:08 AM
Whats it like to be outclassed ? :giggle:

osarusan
11/09/2010, 12:19 AM
Rovers have pretty much ended Pats' challenge tonight. Thought they were quite poor for the first half an hour, didn't create much or have much urgency, but once they had got the lucky goal to give them the lead, they saw the game out in a totally professional manner. Pats never looked like getting back into it at all.

With the game in Dalymount to come, it'll still be interesting, but Rovers just need to avaid defeat there (in fact they can probably even afford it).

danthesaint
11/09/2010, 1:31 AM

who was outclassed?? :S

TonyD
13/09/2010, 7:47 PM

Why don't you tell us ? :p

danthesaint
13/09/2010, 11:02 PM
Why don't you tell us ? :p

ya get there before me Tony :)