PDA

View Full Version : Living in London?

thischarmingman
24/08/2010, 7:24 AM
Right, so I'm moving across the water next month and need to find somewhere to live. I realise it's a massive city, but where would you London-based forummers suggest as a good place to live there? Looking for somewhere fairly cheap, with good nightlife and transport links. A friend has recommended Stoke Newington, and from looking it up online it seems like a nice place to be. I should add, I don't have a job sorted yet so I can't base it on that. Anyway, any help or general advice appreciated... :question:

In the reward, enjoy this Dylan Moran (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbPuBxG_HMs) clip.

Hibs4Ever
24/08/2010, 7:53 AM
Lived up around Finchley/Barnet area for a few years, great area, though not very cheap. Also lived in Ealing for a while, not bad if you can tolerate students

Mr A
24/08/2010, 8:46 AM
I used to live in Harlesden. Stay away from it, not a very nice place!

Hibs4Ever
24/08/2010, 8:47 AM
I used to live in Harlesden. Stay away from it, not a very nice place!

Can say similar about Southall. I last one month there!

Closed Account 2
24/08/2010, 9:47 AM
Depends where you are going to be working. But West Hampstead / Kilburn has nice areas and decent transport. If you live south of the river you might have a bad commute (few tube lines, all busy).

juan
25/08/2010, 3:59 PM
Albert Square in Walford. It's a bit depressing but there never seems to be a dull moment.

Pauro 76
25/08/2010, 5:40 PM
Living in Tooting, south west London. It's ok but gritty enough. Not a fan of Clapham and Putney, it's surrounding areas. Full of estate agent type t0ssers. Used to live in Hendon, that's pretty decent. Good links to central London too.

sligoman
26/08/2010, 10:49 AM
Elephant and Castle, great pub nearby called The Prince of Wales, what more do ya need!

saintmaniac
27/08/2010, 5:44 PM
Right, so I'm moving across the water next month

Not you as well!

Ahh, who am I kidding. I'll probably be following right behind you.

Have friends in Tooting as well, can echo Pauro's description of it as 'gritty'. I've stayed with them a few times and wouldn't want to be hanging around the area too much late at night. Still, it's not bad transport-wise. Have family off the Seven Sisters Road in Hackney as well - not far from Stoke Newington, but it's a bit rough and seemingly getting worse. My cousin's latest suspicion is that there's a pickpocket on every London bus - not sure how true this is, and how much it's being linked to "these Eastern Europeans" coming in, but there does seem to be a dodgy element among them in fairness, particularly in his area. Friend of mine moving near the Old Kent Road next month, his girlfriend is worried about the rep of the area, but their apartment is apparently great and they're living in the same building as a lot of students, so they're a bit happier. Safety in numbers and all that.

Stoke Newington/Finsbury Park does seem to be the dream, although I'd say you'll be paying for it...

Bluebeard
28/08/2010, 11:12 PM
Well, I spent a year in Mile End and found it fine, to be honest. Decent tube connection and a couple of decent pubs. It isn't too bad a place pricewise either if you keep your eyes open.

Brixton isn't too bad either, depending. It is going to be tough to get a cheap place there in three or four years time though - gentrification happening as we speak.

I'd personally be wary around Nellie and Castle, though, some good spots, some not so great. I did work there though so that wouldn't help.

Unfortunatley, the best value is probably South of the river, but is a castrater owing to the poor transport, if there is a train link direct to centre, that isn't too bad.

Finally, are you following me at a distance? You moved to Dublin shortly after I left, now this?

thischarmingman
01/09/2010, 11:11 AM
Finally, are you following me at a distance? You moved to Dublin shortly after I left, now this?

Do you remember when you were in Cornwall, at the monastery, there was an old shepherd with whom you used to talk?
Good Lord! Timkins?
Yes, I was one of his sheep!

centre mid
01/09/2010, 11:33 AM
Lived around Hammersmith a mid 90's and that was fine, well served by transport, not the greatest for nightlife but not the worst.

pineapple stu
01/09/2010, 12:16 PM
Cousin of mine lives in Enfield; seems quite a nice area. Nice quiet wooded walk down by the canal/river (can't remember which) to The Cricketers pub - that kind of place. It's about half an hour by train from the City one way and ten minutes' drive from rolling countryside the other. No idea about nightlife though; was only there for his wedding and pints of an evening a few months later.

Den Perry
01/09/2010, 2:33 PM
Lived up around Finchley/Barnet area for a few years, great area, though not very cheap. Also lived in Ealing for a while, not bad if you can tolerate students

no, too close to Ealing Green....

Pauro 76
01/09/2010, 9:29 PM
Not strictly London, but Kingston-upon-Thames in south west London is a cracking town. Plenty of trains going to Waterloo, some great pubs and comedy club that attracts a few big names, and quite close to Heathrow too, you could do a lot worse.

Closed Account 2
03/09/2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah anywhere from Kingston to Richmond in that area is great.

I would be cautious in Elephant and Castle, there is a vast sprawling estate called the Aylesbury Estate it literally must be one of the biggest in the world, and it's well worth avoiding at all costs.

thischarmingman
06/10/2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the above advice. Having exhausted myself running around the capital of Blighty these past couple of weeks, I'm moving into a nice place in Whitechapel next week.

Obviously, you're all invited to the housewarming.

Magicme
06/10/2010, 11:39 PM
*books flight to London*

Mr A
06/10/2010, 11:42 PM
*sets some stuff on fire*

tetsujin1979
06/10/2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks for all the above advice. Having exhausted myself running around the capital of Blighty these past couple of weeks, I'm moving into a nice place in Whitechapel next week.

Obviously, you're all invited to the housewarming.
watch out for Jack

thischarmingman
06/10/2010, 11:44 PM
*sets some stuff on fire*

I'd love to think that was a reply to my post, but to be honest, I know you probably just thought this was the 'say anything' thread.

thischarmingman
06/10/2010, 11:45 PM
watch out for Jack

With DCFCSteve and Ealing Green about, I've enough to worry about!

Mr A
07/10/2010, 8:40 AM
I'd love to think that was a reply to my post, but to be honest, I know you probably just thought this was the 'say anything' thread.

Your guess is as good as mine. On one of my now traditional "check for what I posted last night and delete where necessary to avoid bannings" morning after forum sweeps.

Wolfie
07/10/2010, 4:06 PM
I often thought that drunken posts should be tagged with a little traffic cone icon or some such.