PDA

View Full Version : Cup Game V Finn Harps

Mr A
23/08/2010, 10:28 AM
Sligo have to be raging hot favourites for this game on the not unreasonable basis that you have a much better football team than we do. Harps tend to play up or down to the standard of the opposition though so maybe we'll give you a game.

Do you guys think many will travel?

Obviously the European Championship Trophy will be on view as well. See here. (http://www.finnharps.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=322:european-championship-trophy-for-finn-park&catid=39:news-from-finn-park&Itemid=101)

pineapple stu
23/08/2010, 10:57 AM
Obviously the European Championship Trophy will be on view as well. See here. (http://www.finnharps.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=322:european-championship-trophy-for-finn-park&catid=39:news-from-finn-park&Itemid=101)
How'd that come about?

Mr A
23/08/2010, 11:01 AM
Because we're the Harps.

pineapple stu
23/08/2010, 11:02 AM
Deep.

So ye robbed it, yeah?

Mr A
23/08/2010, 11:05 AM
I have no idea how the hell this came about to be honest!

pineapple stu
23/08/2010, 11:05 AM
It is pretty damn cool though. Far cooler even than Cool Dog.

Mr A
23/08/2010, 12:36 PM
Let's not go mental.

avvenalaf
23/08/2010, 1:03 PM
I expect that we will give you a similar pasting to the one we administered to the last Div 1 team we met in the Cup (Sporting Fingal)

sligoman
23/08/2010, 3:48 PM
Having seen Harps about 2 weeks ago, if we don't win by at least 2 then we are bad.

poster
23/08/2010, 4:09 PM
Do you guys think many will travel?

Many will travel.

I'd reckon maybe 5 or 600. Few buses going from around the county.

avvenalaf
23/08/2010, 10:46 PM
Yes. Big crowd travelling. Lock up your daughters (and your Grannies)

pineapple stu
24/08/2010, 9:10 AM
I have no idea how the hell this came about to be honest!
It was in Tallaght last night. Definitely think there's some theiving afoot.

dfx-
24/08/2010, 12:42 PM
Because we're the Harps.

It was in Tallaght for either the Bray or UCDD game...

Probably a fair few Rovers fans volunteering to shepherd it to Ballybofey...any excuse...

avvenalaf
24/08/2010, 2:35 PM
It was in Tallaght for either the Bray or UCDD game...

Probably a fair few Rovers fans volunteering to shepherd it to Ballybofey...any excuse...

Shepherd to Ballybofey? Nice one.

red arrow
24/08/2010, 6:40 PM
n'do & o grady out for harps game.

avvenalaf
24/08/2010, 10:48 PM
n'do & o grady out for harps game.

Michael Clancy in holding role?.

red arrow
26/08/2010, 8:05 PM
naw i hung up my boots!

Sam_Heggy
27/08/2010, 12:06 PM
Jeez lads, that's some list of casualties ye have. (don't worry ye should still stroll against us)
What do ye see the starting line up as?

bingoballs
27/08/2010, 9:18 PM
Sligo Rovers beat Harps 1-0. We were lucky enough in the second half apparently and Amomd came on for the last few minutes.

avvenalaf
28/08/2010, 1:07 AM
Sligo Rovers beat Harps 1-0. We were lucky enough in the second half apparently and Amomd came on for the last few minutes.

We were lucky we didn't fall asleep watching it. In all my years watching football, I have never witnessed a more insipid cup tie. It is hard to describe how bad Harps were. They're playing at home, in a North West derby, against the in form team in the league and we have twice as many fans there. They managed one shot on goal in the entire match. Mind you, we were not much better although you could argue that we scored too early. I have experienced better atmosphere in a funeral parlor and, sad to say, if this is what Harps has come to, they are finished in their current set up. Padraig deal is agreed but no one seems to know how long he will be with us. He's getting a four year deal over there. Good luck to him.

Sam_Heggy
28/08/2010, 8:50 AM
we have twice as many fans there.

The official attendance was 1565 - just over 600 Sligo fans.

They managed one shot on goal in the entire match. Mind you, we were not much better although you could argue that we scored too early.
Your only shot on goal was from the penalty spot.

I have experienced better atmosphere in a funeral parlor and, sad to say, if this is what Harps has come to, they are finished in their current set up.
It's not that long ago that I remember saying the exact same about Sligo, times can change quickly, we used to have 2 to every 1 of your fans in the showgrounds not that long ago, and easily outsinging ye.

Yer playing budget is about 6 times the size of ours yet ye struggled to get by a lackluster side. Had Kevin McHugh got that lob right, or indeed got that penalty decision would you still be saying how bad we were?
Our lads were woeful in the first half yet the only shot on target ye could manage was a penalty, in the second we were the better side, even your captain sitting in the clubhouse was saying so.

sligo23
28/08/2010, 4:24 PM
1-0 flattered us!! We were brutal. Good criaic in the terraces tho!!

redobit
28/08/2010, 7:37 PM
The official attendance was 1565 - just over 600 Sligo fans.

Your only shot on goal was from the penalty spot.

Eh, what game were you at. We hit the post twice in the first half (one move turned out to be offside i think) and your keeper made a very good save in the last 5 10 minutes.

Sam_Heggy
29/08/2010, 10:08 AM
Eh, what game were you at. We hit the post twice in the first half (one move turned out to be offside i think) and your keeper made a very good save in the last 5 10 minutes.

Ok you had ONE attempt on target other than the penalty. I don't think hitting the post once is counted as on target.

avvenalaf
29/08/2010, 5:30 PM
1565? They must have counted the crowd at the amusements next door and the wedding in Jackson's.

Sam_Heggy
29/08/2010, 7:17 PM
1565? They must have counted the crowd at the amusements next door and the wedding in Jackson's.

Yeah, just so we could pay ye more gate money than ye were due.
Grow up ffs.

avvenalaf
29/08/2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah, just so we could pay ye more gate money than ye were due.
Grow up ffs.

Gate money from Finn Harps? When are you appearing on The Panel?

Sam_Heggy
30/08/2010, 10:39 AM
Gate money from Finn Harps? When are you appearing on The Panel?

The home club gets 65% of the gate and the away side gets 35% after expenses in Cup games.
So when are you appearing on Mastermind?

poster
30/08/2010, 1:03 PM
The home club gets 65% of the gate and the away side gets 35% after expenses in Cup games.

I think that's slightly changed. FAI get some of it now in every round. Wudntchano!

avvenalaf
30/08/2010, 1:52 PM
So when are you appearing on Mastermind?

That's the interesting bit. Anyway, on to other things. What has become of Finn Harps? I don't want to go back to the Paddy's Day game against Cork Hibs when i was among 21000 at the game but it was dispiriting and surprising to find such a small crowd at a derby cup tie and , worse still, all the Harps people I spoke to before the game fully expected to be beaten. I know Derry City has taken a lot of player potential from Harps but Junior soccer used to be very strong in Donegal and surely a better side that that which played the other night could be assembled.

Sam_Heggy
30/08/2010, 4:02 PM
Expenses are basically paying the referee and officials.

Also, it's very hard to sign a player on €50 a week and expect him to travel the length and breadth of the country (we only have about 5 players getting more than that per week) our total budget is the smallest in the co-op's history.
The club has taken the approach of paying off the sizable debt for the next few seasons (and rightly so if you ask me). There has been a huge chunk already paid off and unfortunately our on the pitch performances have slumped as a result.

Oldred
30/08/2010, 7:55 PM
Hope it works out for ye Sam, in the short term rather long. Those derbys were always great craic and inexpensive for clubs and fans alike.

clubman
30/08/2010, 9:50 PM
No doubt about it Harps are a great wee club, with fanatical supporters. Since they joined the league in '69 we've had some great battles. If my memory serves me correct Harps always got the better of us in the early 70's. The crowds and the atmosphere at those games had to be seen to be believed. Certainly was the stuff of real derby games. Since then both clubs have had their ups and downs. The present situation Harps find themselves in we were in at the turn of century. Anyone that remembers the Don's era will not have happy memories of the bit o red. Certainly were hard times but because of that hardship we can enjoy the good times of the modern times. During the lean years Rovers got the house in order off the pitch, which is exactly what Harps are doing now. It's not an easy process but something which has to be done in order for the club to have a future. Harps will rise again of that there is no doubt and with supporters like Sam they deserve to be back in the Premier Division sooner rather than later.
Keep the faith Sam, we'll meet again and the good times will roll for both clubs!

shellyriver
31/08/2010, 6:06 PM
Yeah, must say -- was looking forward to the game and nice to have a reason to get to Donegal (beside the slots in Bundie!)...Stewards at the game were dead on and enjoyed the banter. Great craic in the stand, when the heavens threatened to open at the beginning of 2nd half. Worst aspect, the quality of fare at the chip van instead, hic,-- what a giraffe poor wee cailin taking down notes!! and serving out chips took so long that they must have waited for spuds to grow -- nonetheless, great craic knocked out of this situation.

Rovers looked a little leggy and bereft of ideas in second half. Anyways, result is a result.

Come on Rovers -- let's hope we can get over Monaghan

redarmyfaction
31/08/2010, 11:04 PM
I was very disappointed with the Harps support, it doesn't bode well for football in the regions. Hard to see that there were over 1500 at the game. I don;t know the ground that well but there were hardly 350 harps fans there, I mean they were countable.

Someone said earlier on that we were regularly outnumbered at home by Harps to be honest I don;t think I ever saw in the last 35 years more than 200 Harps fans in Sligo.

Well Red
01/09/2010, 8:27 AM
At this stage does it really matter how many Harps fans were in Sligo or Sligo fans in Donegal, it is time to move on and concentrate on one of the biggest games the BOR have had for a long time.

Sam_Heggy
02/09/2010, 7:07 AM
I was very disappointed with the Harps support, it doesn't bode well for football in the regions. Hard to see that there were over 1500 at the game. I don;t know the ground that well but there were hardly 350 harps fans there, I mean they were countable.

Someone said earlier on that we were regularly outnumbered at home by Harps to be honest I don;t think I ever saw in the last 35 years more than 200 Harps fans in Sligo.

Easily 1565 in the ground, and there was just over 600 Sligo fans in the ground, Derry brought 200 more fans for the league game a few weeks ago, that's going by official numbers on the gates.

The seats hold 400 alone and they were 90% full. The ground holds 5500 at a canter.

1st time post
03/09/2010, 12:42 PM

Ah in fairness to them thats definitely not true!!even when they were sh1t the last time they were in the premier i remember them bringing at least 300 on a summers nite when we beat them 4-1. Theres defo a few more examples aswell when we were in the graveyard and rubbish and they were going for the league an in the late 90s they used to travel pretty well.