Damien Duff Fulham 02/03/1979 84 7
Keith Fahey Birmingham City 15/01/1983 3 0
Keith Treacy Preston North End 13/09/1988 1 0

Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur 08/07/1980 100 43
Kevin Doyle Wolves 18/09/1983 35 8
Shane Long Reading 22/01/1987 13 3

amaccann
20/08/2010, 1:37 PM
Only 3 strikers? I know Andy Keogh can play as a forward, but even so it's a bit depressing to see the poverty of quality options every time a squad's announced. It's fair to say that at this stage we all know what these squads will look like ...

Duggie
20/08/2010, 1:50 PM
no stokes again, banging them in for hibs. at least deserves to be in the squad.

tetsujin1979
20/08/2010, 1:58 PM
no surprises there wharsoever

no stokes again, banging them in for hibs. at least deserves to be in the squad.
in the u21 squad

Duggie
20/08/2010, 2:00 PM
a lot of use he is in the u-21 squad..

Brendan 82
20/08/2010, 2:24 PM
I think we'll have to get used to the majority of these players for this campaign. They look like a solid enough unit but I think it will be a close call on whether we get out of the group. It would be nice to see a couple players break into the squad throughout the campaign; hopefully the first weekend of the Premiership isn't too indicative of how the rest of the season will go for Irish players because it wasn't great to be fair. These first two games are a good test and 6 points would be a big step in the right direction.

johnboyle37
20/08/2010, 2:33 PM
Dissapointed that McCarthy isnt in there, ahead of Treacy surely? Its worrying and lets hope its not a sign that he'll be frozen out of the panel for tougher senior games to come. Midfield is lacking in guile in the centre really especially if say Whelan were to be injured.

Up front is a major concern too. If Robbie or Doyle get injured there is no quality replacement. Stokes must be pushing for inclusion. I know hes playing for a relatively low profile team but he is talented and beginning to return on his obvious potential and would be good enough to trouble our next two opponents...

Junior
20/08/2010, 2:38 PM
No Surprises really - Though I always find it strange that Long still manages to get in there.

Much to my disappointment also, Stokes is not included but I never expected him to. He never featured in the May friendlies nor the game last week so was unlikely to be part of the squad and certainly not ahead of Sheridan in any case (again not imo).

We cannot afford any injuries to our 5 or 6 really experienced lads - otherwise we are down to a relatively inexperienced squad.

9 Players 0-10 caps
6 Players 10-20 caps
10 players +20 caps

Also, I know it will be very early in the club season but how much football will the likes of Kilbane, Cunningham, St Ledger, O'Dea, McGeady have played as a result of injuries or their club status?

Hopefully Shay will have all his club issues resolved in the vwrey near future also. Dont want any distractions playing on his mind.

We should get 6 points from these opening 2 games but Im a little nervous we might mess it up over in Yerevan.

Duggie
20/08/2010, 2:44 PM
we absolutely have to get 6 points at all costs from these 2 games. if we dont it will just end up like the last campaign or likely even worse. cant afford to be dropping points this time.

Sullivinho
20/08/2010, 2:56 PM
Ditto on the lack of surprise.

I'd restrict the roles of Kilbane and McShane to motivational speaking only but who knows what Trap's wisdom will dictate come the hour.

I don't think Trap rates him, unfortunately. Even when called up he doesn't get a look in, ala Kevin Foley.

we absolutely have to get 6 points at all costs from these 2 games.

I'd class it as a necessity. No way can we drop points against the bottom seeds with the likes of Russia, Slovakia and Macedonia circling us.

Wolfie
20/08/2010, 2:58 PM
Working from the squad selected, I'd go for relatively tried and trusted for certainly the start of the campaign.

We need to be well organised and error free at the back for the first game.

I wouldn't start McShane. I'm very nervous about the impact McShane could have, even when introduced from the bench.

Kilbane is on the last of his last legs and should take a bow and drop to the bench.

Therefore (fitness permitting)

Given

O'Shea
St Ledger
Dunne
Kelly

Whelan
Andrews
Duff
Lawrence

Keane
Doyle

TrapAPony
20/08/2010, 3:02 PM
I wouldn't start McShane.

I wouldn't have him near the squad.

amaccann
20/08/2010, 3:22 PM
Yes, McShane continues to baffle by his inclusion. I would really like to know what Trap's exact thinking about him is - technical videos 'n all. Kilbane I understand; he may be well past his "best" but he's a senior, happy, stabilising figure in the squad. McShane though offers nothing in any position along the back four and is a consistent weakness in most matches against half-decent opposition. He's rash, thoughtless, clumsy and has terrible positioning. His defending is last-gasp and his attacking ability is ... negligible?

I can see the value of the mediocre with the likes of Whelan or Andrews, they're competent, you can't fault them for that. But McShane just beggers belief sometimes.

Sorry, rant over.

shakermaker1982
20/08/2010, 3:26 PM
yep no surprises there as mentioned above.

We do need some new strikers to emerge on the scene though over the next couple of years. If Keane/Doyle ever got injured we'd struggle big time.

Given

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Cunningham

Lawrence Green Whelan Duff

Keane Doyle

Lionel Ritchie
20/08/2010, 3:45 PM
He won't pick Kelly or Cunningham ahead of Kilbane unless Killer needs crutches to get to the pitch ...and perhaps not even then.

Lenny82
20/08/2010, 3:46 PM
Take McShane and Treacy out and replace with McCarthy and Stokes and the squad would be a whole lot stronger. I'm surprised Sheridan isn't in there after starting against Argentina.

Has Trap officially fallen out with McCarthy then? Is it another Andy Reid situation?

geysir
20/08/2010, 4:40 PM
Both McCarthy and Stokes have managed to stop the bleeding in the u21s.

McGeady will be clocking up the air miles if he has to fly to Dublin first, to meet up with the squad.
A win in Armenia would settle our group nerves immensely.
A draw there means a prolonged struggle in the group before meeting an inevitable cruel fate.

amaccann
20/08/2010, 4:47 PM
3 points is a must - we have to stop resigning ourselves to bland draws against these lower seeds & hoping to chip our way slowly into tournaments. You didn't see Spain or Holland making do with away draws - they set out to win every game and generally they do.

I say stop thinking long-term, across the whole campaign, and start playing like the next game is our last. 6 points in september, win as many games as humanly possible and oh look, we finish top of the table with room to spare.

So to hell with a draw - Ireland have to win the game or else we lose all right to talking about being worthy for tournaments when we're drawing against Ar-bloody-menia.

Stuttgart88
20/08/2010, 5:07 PM
The papers quoted Tardelli as being disappointed in Stokes' performance in the U21 game, saying he took too much out of the ball and that it was all about him enjoying himself on the ball rather than playing for the team. Brady damned him with faint praise in the press too.

"Andy Keogh can also play as a forward". Sorry, he is a forward, full stop. He plays no other position in club football. That makes 4 forwards. Realistically Keane & Doyle will probably both play 90 minutes in each game, maybe Doyle coming off on 75, and if there's an injury a new player will be called up.

McCarthy was awarded 4/10 in the papers I read last Sunday after Blackpool beat Wigan 4-0. Not Man United, Blackpool. We have better players in central midfield at the moment in Whelan, Andrews, Green and Gibson. Fahey can play there too.

Treacy is an orthodox winger so comparing Treacy to McCarthy is pointless. Treacy is Stephen Hunt's like-for-like replacement in this squad.

I'm interested that neither Folan nor Best figures - injured or out of favour?

McCarthy & Stokes could be in the squad but it's probably best that they are in the U21s.

cestlavie
20/08/2010, 5:52 PM
Ciaran Clarke 20 Aston Villa, his father is from just outside Letterkenny in Co Donegal, his grandmother lives just outside the town in manor, played last weekend, I know he was captain off Englands under 19 team but certainly a fantastic prospect that we should be going after. Time to let Kilbane and McShane go out to pasture. They are not the future for Irish footbal, If they are its time to pack things up. We cant afford to lose players like McCarthy either. Lets not be looking back and regretting decisions made today in the future.

TrapAPony
20/08/2010, 6:17 PM
Ciaran Clarke 20 Aston Villa, his father is from just outside Letterkenny in Co Donegal, his grandmother lives just outside the town in manor, played last weekend, I know he was captain off Englands under 19 team but certainly a fantastic prospect that we should be going after. Time to let Kilbane and McShane go out to pasture. They are not the future for Irish footbal, If they are its time to pack things up. We cant afford to lose players like McCarthy either. Lets not be looking back and regretting decisions made today in the future.

...and his mother is from Drumshambo, Leitrim which makes you wonder why he's not playing for us. He has represented England at U-17, 18 and 19 level, as well as being called up to the U-21 squad. Good article here about Ciaran Clark.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalsport/Clark-signs-the-dotted-line.5890651.jp

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2010, 7:28 PM
The papers quoted Tardelli as being disappointed in Stokes' performance in the U21 game, saying he took too much out of the ball and that it was all about him enjoying himself on the ball rather than playing for the team. Brady damned him with faint praise in the press too.

"Andy Keogh can also play as a forward". Sorry, he is a forward, full stop. He plays no other position in club football. That makes 4 forwards. Realistically Keane & Doyle will probably both play 90 minutes in each game, maybe Doyle coming off on 75, and if there's an injury a new player will be called up.

McCarthy was awarded 4/10 in the papers I read last Sunday after Blackpool beat Wigan 4-0. Not Man United, Blackpool. We have better players in central midfield at the moment in Whelan, Andrews, Green and Gibson. Fahey can play there too.

Treacy is an orthodox winger so comparing Treacy to McCarthy is pointless. Treacy is Stephen Hunt's like-for-like replacement in this squad.

I'm interested that neither Folan nor Best figures - injured or out of favour?

McCarthy & Stokes could be in the squad but it's probably best that they are in the U21s.
Best has an ankle injury that's kept him out of the past 3 or 4 Newcastle games. Folan seems to be unwanted by everyone at the moment - there's obviously some personality issue there that's had him fall out with so many coaches.

Stokes is an odd one - the only plausible reason I can think of is that Trap/Tardelli knew he was unlikely to play and, given that these games will be his last for the U-21s, figured they might as well leave him out.

Ciaran Clarke is English unless he says otherwise. I'm sure most of us have cousins and relatives born in England who don't automatically consider themselves Irish.

Stuttgart88
20/08/2010, 8:52 PM
Time to let Kilbane and McShane go out to pasture. They are not the future for Irish footbal, If they are its time to pack things up. We cant afford to lose players like McCarthy either. Lets not be looking back and regretting decisions made today in the future.No one is saying that KK or McS are the future, Trap is offering the opinion that they're the best we have at present - which is open to debate I agree. I hate this nonsense that the squad we pick now is the future. It's not - it's the squad to play 2 games next month. Let the U21s play their way into the senior squad. For too long we have neglected the obvious path to developing the future, craeting negativity all around. Now that there's just a glimmer that the U21s might be turning a corner there are complaints that we're not neglecting them again. I don't get it.

Surely Cunningham being fast tracked into the senior set up is looking to the future anyway?

And where is there any suggestion that we are about to lose McCarthy? He's in the U21s FFS. He's 19.

Crosby87
20/08/2010, 10:36 PM
Its funny, just 2 years ago Folan was talked about like he would be a mainstay for years to come....go read some Folan comments from that time. (I questioned it.) What a difference 2 years make. I realize he was hurt but at some point you are no longer hurt and you can come back, no? Is he hurt forever?

EastTerracer
21/08/2010, 2:29 AM
Its funny, just 2 years ago Folan was talked about like he would be a mainstay for years to come....go read some Folan comments from that time. (I questioned it.) What a difference 2 years make. I realize he was hurt but at some point you are no longer hurt and you can come back, no? Is he hurt forever?

He wouldn't be the first injury-prone footballer - Jonathan Woodgate, Michael Owen, Sick-note all spring to mind. It does seem like Trap may have lost patience with him somewhere along the way though (and, as you say, he was never seriously going to overtake Robbie or Doyler in the starting eleven). I do think he would be a better option than Sheridan though if we need the backup plan of knocking long balls up the field.

According to http://www.hull.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209520 Folan got injured in the warmup for Hull's first league game and had not recovered before last week's second game.

Stuttgart88
21/08/2010, 11:26 AM
On reflection the only real disappointment for me is that Marc Wilson (subject to interest, or more specifically "tapping up", from Avram Grant at West Ham I heard during the week) hasn't made this squad. Trap doesn't seem to take squad withdrawals kindly, even if they are down to injury.

Predator
21/08/2010, 11:58 AM
Trap doesn't seem to take squad withdrawals kindly, even if they are down to injury.Could you elaborate? I'm not so sure that Trapattoni would be one to hold injury-related withdrawal against players. Isn't it possible that Wilson simply hasn't done enough to merit a place in the squad?

Stuttgart88
21/08/2010, 12:05 PM
Of course - perhaps I should have said that untried players who withdraw from friendly squads through injury tend not to get picked for competitive squads. Ward & Wilson both spring to mind, and in my opinion both are probably good enough to be included - Wilson in particular given his versatility.

Noelys Guitar
21/08/2010, 1:20 PM
Nothing less than 6 points from these 2 games or we can forget qualifying. There is so little between ourselves, Slovakia and Russia that any slips up will mean a horrilbe scrap for a second place in this group. The main worry as ever will be injuries to key players. The thought of McShane, Kilbane or Keogh (who was woeful for Wolves last week when he came on) starting fills me with dread.

Stuttgart88
21/08/2010, 1:30 PM
St. Ledger starts today according to BBC website. We need him to be back fit or else it's possible BOTH McShane and KK will be starting. If only Foley had played well against Nigeria...

Predator
21/08/2010, 1:56 PM
Of course - perhaps I should have said that untried players who withdraw from friendly squads through injury tend not to get picked for competitive squads. Ward & Wilson both spring to mind, and in my opinion both are probably good enough to be included - Wilson in particular given his versatility.Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I do find it strange that Trap persists in selecting players such as Cunningham, who hasn't featured much at all for Man City's first team, while he overlooks players like Ward, who has been featuring regularly for Wolves over the past few seasons.

Noelys Guitar
21/08/2010, 4:06 PM
Watched the Everton v Wolves game today. Ward, Foley and Doyle all played well. Of the three Ward was excellent. Watch his last defender tackle on Beckford later on. Class tackle. Doyle looked like he needed the game. Made the goal with a very clever along the ground ball from the right wing. Foley played well. He had the excellent Baines coming at him the whole game but Foley kept him at bay for most of the game. Foley uses the ball a lot better than McShane and is not a panicker like McShane. Very impressed with Wolves and they look a much improved side. Should have won the game after they got the equaliser. Good job Mick.

Stuttgart88
21/08/2010, 4:13 PM
Being able to use the ball is vital at full back. Foley is streets ahead of McShane in that department.

Fergie's Son
21/08/2010, 4:47 PM
Not to flog a dead horse but watching Wigan v. Chelsea at the moment and McCarthy is playing well at the moment. Mind you it is only 27 minutes in but thus far so good. So is he tied to us yet or does he still have the option of going back to Scotland? If so, could that be a reason he hasn't been called up?

Razors left peg
21/08/2010, 4:58 PM
Not to flog a dead horse but watching Wigan v. Chelsea at the moment and McCarthy is playing well at the moment. Mind you it is only 27 minutes in but thus far so good. So is he tied to us yet or does he still have the option of going back to Scotland? If so, could that be a reason he hasn't been called up?

If he had it in his mind to go back to Scotland he wouldnt be turning up for the under21 games. He will 100% not be going back to the Scotland squad. He is playing well today but he is only 19 and he will get lots of opportunites for us in the future.

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2010, 5:08 PM
Showed good strength at one point to skin Ivanovic on the touchline. Looked a bit lightweight at times last season so it's good to see.

Stuttgart88
21/08/2010, 9:54 PM
So is he tied to us yet?No, because he has yet to be capped in a competitive international. But Razor's point is bang on.

Poor Student
21/08/2010, 10:33 PM
No, because he has yet to be capped in a competitive international. But Razor's point is bang on.

Does his senior international appearance against Brazil not preclude him from playing for Scotland ever?

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2010, 10:51 PM
You can switch your allegiance once if you've only played in friendlies for the first country - it's competitive games that matter.

Edgar Castillo switched to his country of birth despite having played in 4 friendlies for Mexico.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=663109&sec=us&cc=5739

Poor Student
21/08/2010, 11:04 PM
I stand corrected, thanks for the info, Charlie.

Fergie's Son
21/08/2010, 11:22 PM
Hmmmm well if he is still turning up for the U-21's then he is still committed. I'm excited to see how he progresses.

aidinho
22/08/2010, 9:36 PM

in tomorrows parers up here that McCarthy is going back to Scotland because Craig Levein has promised him a role next to Darren Fletcher in the Scotland team and since he has not played a competitive game for the Rep. Ireland yet and hes under 21 he can still pick Scotland.

Colbert Report
22/08/2010, 9:38 PM
in tomorrows parers up here that McCarthy is going back to Scotland because Craig Levein has promised him a role next to Darren Fletcher in the Scotland team and since he has not played a competitive game for the Rep. Ireland yet and hes under 21 he can still pick Scotland.

I call BS. Let's see a link.

Razors left peg
22/08/2010, 9:42 PM
Of course its BS, the fella has obviously been on the buckfast again and is lookin for entertainment by tryin to wind up a few people

cestlavie
22/08/2010, 9:55 PM
Surely Ward and Wilson would be better options for the future than McShane and Kilbane. Mate of mine was at Milwall game the other week against Hull but as soon as he saw that Kilbane was starting he knew they would have great chance to win the game. He was delighted they were playing and he is a huge Irish supporter and likes to see Irish boys doing well but he cant for the life of him understand why they are still involved in the squad.

aidinho
22/08/2010, 9:55 PM
Of course its BS, the fella has obviously been on the buckfast again and is lookin for entertainment by tryin to wind up a few people

not on the wind up mate. its in the papers tomorrow up here in Glasgow and according to "sources" he is seriously considering coming back to Scotland.

If I were him though I'd pick the Republic because I'm a Celtic man myself as he is too and if you look through the archives the SFA is biased against young catholic players with an Irish background.

Frank McAvennie is just one example.

Razors left peg
22/08/2010, 10:04 PM
Sources can say whatever the hell they want. The lad himself has said on numerous occasions that there is absolutely no chance of him playing for Scotland, and he has backed that up with his actions in playing for the under 21s when he hasnt been called up to the senior squad. Its a non story that keeps being brought up every now and then and its boring at this stage

TrapAPony
22/08/2010, 10:12 PM
Surely Ward and Wilson would be better options for the future than McShane and Kilbane. Mate of mine was at Milwall game the other week against Hull but as soon as he saw that Kilbane was starting he knew they would have great chance to win the game. He was delighted they were playing and he is a huge Irish supporter and likes to see Irish boys doing well but he cant for the life of him understand why they are still involved in the squad.

Hull lost 4-0 in that match against Millwall.

not on the wind up mate. its in the papers tomorrow up here in Glasgow and according to "sources" he is seriously considering coming back to Scotland.

I'm not too worried. It's probably just the Scottish media trying to create a sh*tstorm once again..

Colbert Report
22/08/2010, 10:14 PM
Hull lost 4-0 in that match against Millwall.

Yeah, I think he was saying that his mate, as a Milwall supporter, was delighted to be going up against the likes of McShane and Kilbane.

aidinho
22/08/2010, 10:19 PM
Sources can say whatever the hell they want. The lad himself has said on numerous occasions that there is absolutely no chance of him playing for Scotland, and he has backed that up with his actions in playing for the under 21s when he hasnt been called up to the senior squad. Its a non story that keeps being brought up every now and then and its boring at this stage

look mate I don't even support Scotland but the new manager wants him in his midfield next to Fletcher and Brown of Celtic another chookter just like the manager . anyhow he wants them three for his midfield for the qualifiers which start at the end of this month I believe.

but as I said before I'm of Mcarthys and McGeady's heritage so I would pick the Republic over Scotland. I was brought up supporting Celtic and Ireland as were McArthy and McGeady but it seems that McArthy doesn't care about Ireland as he has said in numerous interviews that Scotland didn't think he was good enough and if they picked him he would play.