PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the live games gone ?

dcfcsteve
19/08/2010, 9:35 PM
Is it me or does it seem like we've got far fewer live games this year than previous ?

I know the World Cup and the break didn't help, but there's only been one live league game since then (Rovers-Bohs), and that was on Setanta.

From my understanding, the FAI deal means that the number of live games should increase every year up to effectively one a week by about 2014 (?). So this this mean we'll be lumbered with a surge towards the end of the season, after a veritable famine ?

Ciaran W
19/08/2010, 9:37 PM
This happens every year.

Dodge
19/08/2010, 11:20 PM
This is the first year TG4 haven't shown any games

Ciaran W
19/08/2010, 11:34 PM
That used to be torture any sitting there listening to them lads speaking in irish

bullit
20/08/2010, 12:13 AM
Part of the FAI contract i believe.
No more live matches until September,terrestial TV anyway?

Lim till i die
20/08/2010, 12:36 AM
This is the first year TG4 haven't shown any games

This is something we should be targeting as a league.

Limerick v Derry at Jackman Park tomorrow night should be broadcast on TG4 as it will look EXACTLY like an Intermediate County Camogie Final.

bullit
20/08/2010, 12:44 AM
This is something we should be targeting as a league.

Limerick v Derry at Jackman Park tomorrow night should be broadcast on TG4 as it will look EXACTLY like an Intermediate County Camogie Final.
And Inside the Jackman Park dressing rooms could coincide with Grimebusters on UTV:D

Lim till i die
20/08/2010, 12:47 AM
The home dressing rooms are palatial tbf.

bullit
20/08/2010, 12:58 AM
A bit of a Tardis affect in the homers i hear ok,John Gill wouldnt take his trousers off in the aways!!! Butt thats history now,myself and John just try to get on these days.:D

danthesaint
20/08/2010, 6:58 AM
That used to be torture any sitting there listening to them lads speaking in irish

west brit ;)

harps1954
20/08/2010, 8:34 AM
Is it me or does it seem like we've got far fewer live games this year than previous ?

I know the World Cup and the break didn't help, but there's only been one live league game since then (Rovers-Bohs), and that was on Setanta.

From my understanding, the FAI deal means that the number of live games should increase every year up to effectively one a week by about 2014 (?). So this this mean we'll be lumbered with a surge towards the end of the season, after a veritable famine ?

Galway against Bohs was also shown on Setanta on 18th July.

Next year (I think, maybe it could be the following year) there will be a live game every weekend on RTE. I don't think Setanta have any rights beyond this season.

peadar1987
20/08/2010, 1:29 PM

I liked it. It meant that people never thought I was watching an English match on the laptop. (My flatmate did think it might have been Turkish though!!)

Dunny
20/08/2010, 1:31 PM
Are Setanta showing the league cup final?

Mons better feckin win it now.

total hoofball
20/08/2010, 2:32 PM
This is a list of the matches shown on the box so far this season

March 5 Bohemians vs Sporting Fingal RTÉ
March 14 Dundalk vs Drogheda United RTÉ
March 21 Shamrock Rovers vs Dundalk RTÉ
March 26 Galway United vs Shamrock Rovers RTÉ
April 2 St. Patrick's Athletic vs Sporting Fingal RTÉ
April 9 Shamrock Rovers vs Bohemians RTÉ
April 16 Bohemians vs Galway United RTÉ
April 23 St. Patrick's Athletic vs Sligo Rovers RTÉ
May 3 Dundalk vs Shamrock Rovers Setanta
May 21 St. Patrick's Athletic vs Bohemians Setanta
May 29 Bohemians vs Shamrock Rovers Setanta
June 8 Galway United vs Bohemians Setanta
July 18 Galway United vs Shamrock Rovers Setanta
August 8 Shamrock Rovers vs Bohemians Setanta

RTE are still scheduled to show another 7 league matches and the FAI semi-finals + final so I guess their schedule to the end of the season will be like this unless they decide to cover the FAI Cup 4th round/quarters and promotion play-offs as TG4 did last season

September 3 LOI Match
September 10 LOI Match
September 24 LOI Match
October 1 LOI Match
October 8 LOI Match
October 15 FAI Cup Semi-Final
October 17 FAI Cup Semi-Final
Ocotber 22 LOI Match
October 29 LOI Match
November 14 FAI Cup Final

TG4 are not showing games anymore, unless they announce more Setanta are showing 4 less than last season. Despite RTÉ showing 5 more than last season there is definitely about 7 less live League of Ireland games than last season.

pineapple stu
20/08/2010, 2:39 PM
Just by way of a breakdown by club -

7 - Rovers, Bohs
4 - Galway
3 - Dundalk, Pat's
2 - Fingal
1 - Drogheda, Sligo
0 - Bray, UCD

Is there still (or was there ever outside of my mind) an agreement to show each club at least once?

Dodge
20/08/2010, 2:46 PM
No agreement to show everyone once.

If you search here I've posted full breakdowns for previous years.

Ciaran W
20/08/2010, 4:05 PM
That agreement was in the premiership

legendz
22/08/2010, 9:09 PM
Looking forward to seeing the live action return. My understanding was that RTE would gradually increase the number of live game they show year after year up to a stage where they will show 36 live games in a season. It's a big improvement on where things were.

Tony Soprano
23/08/2010, 3:32 PM
September 3 LOI Match
September 10 LOI Match
September 24 LOI Match
October 1 LOI Match
October 8 LOI Match
Ocotber 22 LOI Match
October 29 LOI Match

games on sep 3rd and oct 8th will have to be shown on the saturday or sunday (international games being played on Fridays now)

big problem for Bohs v Rovers on October 15th - surely FAI need to ensure this game is shown live on RTE

would be crazy if it was played midweek and not on TV, or on the Friday while RTE showed a cup semi final instead

sligoman
23/08/2010, 3:46 PM
would be crazy if it was played midweek and not on TV, or on the Friday while RTE showed a cup semi final insteadNot really, the 'Dublin derby' is usually a muck game anyway.

Tony Soprano
23/08/2010, 3:51 PM
Not really, the 'Dublin derby' is usually a muck game anyway.

will be the the biggest LOI game in years

the country's most famous (and currently best supported) club going for their first title since 1994

probably a sell out, probably biggest TV audience for a LOI game in a long time

cracking derby atmosphere, potentially historic league decider etc etc

FAI should be bending over backwards to make sure it gets shown live on RTE

total hoofball
23/08/2010, 4:35 PM
September 3 LOI Match
September 10 LOI Match
September 24 LOI Match
October 1 LOI Match
October 8 LOI Match
Ocotber 22 LOI Match
October 29 LOI Match

games on sep 3rd and oct 8th will have to be shown on the saturday or sunday (international games being played on Fridays now)

big problem for Bohs v Rovers on October 15th - surely FAI need to ensure this game is shown live on RTE

would be crazy if it was played midweek and not on TV, or on the Friday while RTE showed a cup semi final instead

All the FAI had to do before they released the fixtures was to schedule the inevitably big Bohs vs Rovers game 4 a week before the cup semi-final weekend and this problem would be avoided. Easy. How ****ing stupid these clowns are when it comes to any sort of medium-term planning.

The only possibilty of that match being shown is if one of the sides reaches the semis (likely) with the match rescheduled for one of the mid-weeks in early October and RTÉ being willing to show a LOI game midweek which will be a push, even more so with their International and champions league coverage.

Tony Soprano
23/08/2010, 8:08 PM
All the FAI had to do before they released the fixtures was to schedule the inevitably big Bohs vs Rovers game 4 a week before the cup semi-final weekend and this problem would be avoided. Easy. How ****ing stupid these clowns are when it comes to any sort of medium-term planning.

The only possibilty of that match being shown is if one of the sides reaches the semis (likely) with the match rescheduled for one of the mid-weeks in early October and RTÉ being willing to show a LOI game midweek which will be a push, even more so with their International and champions league coverage.

I agree the fixtures should be manipulated to some extent. this season Bohs Rovers games should have been scheduled to avoid cup semis. also the previous game shiould not have been after a european midweek. considering the garda issues, that scheduling meant a 12:30 KO on a Sunday. so the two biggest matches of the season and neither are friday night live games

why not switch the fixtures on October 15th with the games held on October 22nd (Rovers v Drogheda and Galway v Bohs) RTE will be showing a game that weekend. its two months away - minor inconvnience surely if they act now

as for midweek slots October 6th would be perfect - no internationals or any club games involving English sides that midweek

they have shown midweek games in the past I think. there was a cracking pats Bohs game a while ago (5-4 ? cup replay ?) that i think was midweek. important thing is to not leave this until the last minute. game should be rescheduled now, even before the cup quarterfinals. the LOI's highest profile game of the season

how about showing it on the Saturday night ? would mean three live games one weekend but only as a one off

Charlie Darwin
24/08/2010, 2:01 AM
Not really, the 'Dublin derby' is usually a muck game anyway.
True, but Manchester United v Chelsea is usually awful too and that doesn't stop it being one of the biggest games on Sky Sports' calendar.

I know my Dad and brother - who are not LOI fans by any stretch - were glued to the TV for the match in Tallaght. People who have an interest but not enough to attend games tend to be attracted by big names, and in LOI terms Bohs v Rovers is as big as it gets.

edit: Manchester United v Liverpool is usually even worse but it's probably the most watched game

peadar1987
24/08/2010, 10:14 AM
The last one was a cracking game (Shams-Bohs, not S**t-Scousers)

TheBoss
25/08/2010, 2:12 PM
Next Live Match appears to be St Patrick's Athletic v Shamrock Rovers on the 10th September as it is a 19:35 Kick-off

Martinho II
25/08/2010, 7:55 PM
Next Live Match appears to be St Patrick's Athletic v Shamrock Rovers on the 10th September as it is a 19:35 Kick-off

whos showin that game does anyone know?

Charlie Darwin
25/08/2010, 9:43 PM
It's all RTE until the end of the year, isn't it?

monkey9
29/08/2010, 8:43 PM
Yeah, RTE showing the Pat's - Shams match, Sept 10th.

TheBoss
13/09/2010, 1:14 PM
Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers is on Setanta according to their listings
http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/

londonhoop
13/09/2010, 3:42 PM
Rovers v Fingal also on Setanta Sports
Sat 3pm KO too.

Charlie Darwin
13/09/2010, 4:04 PM
I thought Setanta's coverage had finished for the year. Good news but it's still annoying that the two channels' coverage has only started back up now that the Premier League and Magners League are back on.