PDA

View Full Version : Laser/Maestro abroad

awec
19/08/2010, 12:46 AM
Do these wee cards work abroad in places like spain etc?

thischarmingman
19/08/2010, 12:49 AM
I'd be wary of just using Maestro/Laser (Laser only operates in Ireland). Does your card have a Cirrus sign on it? I have a BOI Laser card, with Maestro/Cirrus logos on the reverse; there's few places it won't work.

Also, just make sure you are aware of any charges your bank will levy- for example, if they charge a set fee per transaction, it's better to withdraw in bulk.

Charlie Darwin
19/08/2010, 1:16 AM
Lasers will work as ATM cards in any country. Maestros only work as credit (debit) cards if they have 16 digit numbers (Lasers have 19 or something stupid).

ifk101
19/08/2010, 9:47 AM
Bank machines usually list what type of cards work. As already said, Maestro cards usually have a Cirrus symbol on the back so look out for machines with this symbol. I know I've been in Barcelona before with a Maestro card and I didn't have any problems. But you can always give your bank a quick ring if still in doubt.

the 12 th man
19/08/2010, 10:23 AM
I used a BOI laser (Maestro & Cirrus also on the back of the card) in France & Italy this year in ATM's with no problem,never tried to "Laser" anything though.

thischarmingman
19/08/2010, 1:25 PM
Lasers will work as ATM cards in any country. Maestros only work as credit (debit) cards if they have 16 digit numbers (Lasers have 19 or something stupid).

I'm fairly sure Laser cards don't work anywhere but Ireland. If the card does work, it'll be through the Maestro/Cirrus network as Laser is specific to Ireland.

pineapple stu
19/08/2010, 2:26 PM
My laser - complete with maestro/Cirrus on the back - has worked in every country I've visited except Wales for some reason. But yeah, I think tha M/C bit is important, so check that on the back before going.

OneRedArmy
19/08/2010, 3:37 PM
I'm fairly sure Laser cards don't work anywhere but Ireland. If the card does work, it'll be through the Maestro/Cirrus network as Laser is specific to Ireland.What he said.

Your Laser card is usually dual or triple compatible with Maestro/Cirrus.

awec
19/08/2010, 3:51 PM
Mine has Maestro and Laser on the front, and a Link logo on the back bottom left.

It's an AIB one.

John83
19/08/2010, 4:26 PM
I had trouble with a Laser/Maestro card in Spain. None once I upgraded it to Cirrus. Drop into your local bank and they'll get you one in a few days.

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2010, 5:18 AM
I'm fairly sure Laser cards don't work anywhere but Ireland. If the card does work, it'll be through the Maestro/Cirrus network as Laser is specific to Ireland.
As an ATM card, not its debit card function. You can take money out on the card from an ATM anywhere.

John83
20/08/2010, 2:24 PM
As an ATM card, not its debit card function. You can take money out on the card from an ATM anywhere.
Except you can't, as I know from personal experience. ATMs in Spain would not accept mine.

Dodge
20/08/2010, 2:44 PM
Mine has Maestro and Laser on the front, and a Link logo on the back bottom left.

It's an AIB one.

That should work as an ATM card anywhere. Only place I had a problem with it was some ATMs in Denmark (fine in Spain, Italy, USA, Sweden, Latvia, Germany and elsewhere)

Never tried to use it to pay for purchases

thischarmingman
20/08/2010, 2:50 PM

This is incorrect.

* Q: Can I use my Laser Card in other countries?

A:

Laser Card can only be used in the Republic of Ireland.

However, some banks and building societies that issue Laser Cards include other payment facilities on the Laser Card which allow the customer to use the card in ATMs and retail outlets abroad. Contact your bank or building society to confirm if these facilities are available on your card.

http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=107#q43

My Laser Maestro/Cirrus card worked in the Middle East and China.

passinginterest
20/08/2010, 3:16 PM
Cirrus is the key thing if you're heading abroad and just want to withdraw cash from ATM's. If you want to use it as a debit card it's going to need to have Maesto, which is not accepted everywhere, as laser is exclusive to Ireland as pointed out above.

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2010, 5:34 PM
This is incorrect.

http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=107#q43

My Laser Maestro/Cirrus card worked in the Middle East and China.
Weird. I've used lasers from two different banks in about a dozen countries. I stand corrected then.

Poor Student
21/08/2010, 10:51 PM
Irish Laser cards that carry the Maestro logo are only Maestro for the purposes of ATM machines (using their Cirrus network) and Laser for the purposes of the debit card aspect of the card. It means it should work in ATMs anywhere but won't work for point of sale that much outside of ROI though you will have some luck in certain outlets.