PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers fans held after rampage in rivals' pub

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bohs11
16/08/2010, 3:26 PM
Jennifer Bray
Eight Shamrock Rovers fans were arrested last Sunday after causing extensive damage to a Dublin pub following a fixture against rival club Bohemians.

After the match, which took place in Tallaght Stadium, Rovers' home ground, about 20 fans travelled by bus from Tallaght to the Phibsborough House pub on the northside of the city, which is close to Bohemians' home at Dalymount Park.

It is understood the Rovers fans began causing trouble in the quiet pub, smashing windows and throwing glasses.

Gardaí arrested three men at the scene and questioned a further five men at Bridewell station.

The three who were arrested were all in their late teens and were released last week. Files will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

It is understood the troublemakers have been caught on CCTV. The pub is said to have been badly damaged and is now in the process of analysing the costs and beginning repairs.

A spokesman for the Phibsborough House confirmed the incident but declined to comment any further.

A garda spokesman said: "Gardaí at Mountjoy were called to an incident in a public house in Phibsborough at 7.45pm where three men were arrested.

"Five juveniles were taken to Bridewell Garda Station and were dealt with accordingly. A large amount of damage was done to the public house.

"All three were released and a file has been sent to the DPP."

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/aug/15/shamrock-rovers-fans-held-after-rampage-in-rivals-/

I wonder will the model club ban their supporters for this. Or "ban" them like they did with the scumbags who taunted Webb over his dead wife a few years ago. :rolleyes:

Saint_Charlie
16/08/2010, 3:31 PM
It would be very hard to ban individuals who were involved in a public order offence nowhere near the game / ground.

Buller
16/08/2010, 3:41 PM
I would have thought that most supporters of Rovers would have been at the actual game...

pineapple stu
16/08/2010, 3:42 PM
It does say the incident was after the match...

WoodquayBoy
16/08/2010, 3:54 PM
Has Bohs moved to ban the people who threw bottles at Twigg? They were at the game, as opposed to people who went to a pub hours after the game, miles away from the match venue, as Saint Charlie points out

marinobohs
16/08/2010, 3:59 PM
Has Bohs moved to ban the people who threw bottles at Twigg? They were at the game, as opposed to people who went to a pub hours after the game, miles away from the match venue, as Saint Charlie points out

bohs have banned any individuals that have been convicted of any football incident(s) over the years and to be fair do enforce it (including providing stewards for away matches). it is fair to say that some clubs do not enforce bans imposed on ruly elements.
RE the Twigg incident I am not aware of anyone arrested /charged/ banned in connection with it so it would be difficult for the club to act.
Similarly in the incident here it is well nigh impossible for clubs to control public order outside grounds.

Réiteoir
16/08/2010, 4:01 PM
I seem to remember there being a similar debate on here (15 page threads and the like) when the same type of thing happened with the incident in Derry a couple of years back.

Unfortunately - looks like not much has changed with this type of thing going on - here's hoping the Law is as robust as that handed down by Mr McElholm

It also saw the use of the word "Sligwegians" - which I quite like

paul_oshea
16/08/2010, 4:02 PM
Why can no one ever accept responsibilty? other than say what others have done. the old phrase get your own house in order etc springs to mind.

There has to be less blame culture and more responsibility and acceptance. One family, which is what I often hear on these threads about the LOI community.

osarusan
16/08/2010, 4:04 PM
I seem to remember there being a similar debate on here (15 page threads and the like) when the same type of thing happened with the incident in Derry a couple of years back.

Do you expect 15 pages of outrage in the 35 minutes the thread has been open?

As has been pointed out, there's not much a club can do with incidents outside the ground.

What they can do is ensure that people involved in these incidents are not allowed inside the ground again (or other punishment, depending on the incident).

marinobohs
16/08/2010, 4:05 PM
Why can no one ever accept responsibilty? other than say what others have done. the old phrase get your own house in order etc springs to mind.

There has to be less blame culture and more responsibility and acceptance. One family, which is what I often hear on these threads about the LOI community.

this incident has nothing to do with football/LOI fans here or anywhere else. I would expect shams will ban anyone convicted but what the hell else can any club do about a few scumbags acting the ******** miles from the club and hours after the match ?

Quadruple1928
16/08/2010, 4:06 PM
It is understood the troublemakers have been caught on CCTV.

Judge "have you anything to say for yourself"

scum fan" Well yes i do, it is my belief that Sheridan doctored that clip"

PartySaint
16/08/2010, 4:07 PM
How do they know they are Rovers fans, Were they wearing jersyes or singing Rovers songs or did the Guards just ask them who they support when they arrested them??

Réiteoir
16/08/2010, 4:09 PM
Do you expect 15 pages of outrage in the 35 minutes the thread has been open?

No - what I meant was that's what we ended up with - looking back through it now - it was actually quite a decent debate in places, on exactly the same lines as being put down here

Lim till i die
16/08/2010, 4:10 PM
Surely as a club, a club can refuse right of admission??

I'd doubt that there's a Rovers* regular who doesn't know who these easily led children are.

*I'd say the same about any LoI club that had this element before the we're being picked on brigade rush on.

Sean South
16/08/2010, 4:12 PM
How do they know they are Rovers fans, Were they wearing jersyes or singing Rovers songs or did the Guards just ask them who they support when they arrested them??

Last I herd casuals don't wear colours;)

OneRedArmy
16/08/2010, 4:57 PM
Why can no one ever accept responsibilty? other than say what others have done. the old phrase get your own house in order etc springs to mind.Who specifically would you like to take responsibility for this? Bohs members who post on foot.ie, Bohs board, the fans of other clubs, the people who did it.......?

There has to be less blame culture and more responsibility and acceptance. One family, which is what I often hear on these threads about the LOI community.What does that even mean?

peadar1987
16/08/2010, 5:12 PM
Unless the violence can be proven to be football-related, Shams have no reason to ban them. Should I be banned from Bray games if I got into a scuffle in town of a weekend? Should anyone with a criminal record be banned from attending LOI matches?

Rasputin
16/08/2010, 5:56 PM
Yup not much Shams can do in this instance in fairness.

Ciaran W
16/08/2010, 6:16 PM
Hate seeing these type of lads at the games. .There was two of them at the drogheda game at the weekend and after Dennehy scored, scumbag 1 turns to scumbag 2 and asks who scored, your man says ''i dont know who he is'' and i watched them for the rest of the game and neither of them looked at the game once they just stood there stoned out of their faces.

SkStu
16/08/2010, 6:17 PM
absolutely nothing they can do about it to prevent it but they can take action against the group to prevent them from attending games, if they are convicted.

Having said that, even though these guys were obviously morons, i dont know why it was necessary to identify that these were "Shamrock Rovers fans". Its just another public order offence that probably wouldnt have been put in the papers if there wasnt a LOI twist to it. Its pretty disappointing but to be expected at this stage.

PartySaint
16/08/2010, 6:37 PM
i watched them for the rest of the game and neither of them looked at the game once they just stood there stoned out of their faces.

So that made 3 of yous not watching the game

hoopy
16/08/2010, 6:48 PM
this incident has nothing to do with football/LOI fans here or anywhere else. I would expect shams will ban anyone convicted but what the hell else can any club do about a few scumbags acting the ******** miles from the club and hours after the match ?

Find this post interesting, considering your post on your own forum.

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=280694#280694

Ciaran W
16/08/2010, 7:09 PM
You got me there :) but obviously i wasnt watchin them the whole time but you know what i mean :D

WoodquayBoy
16/08/2010, 7:42 PM
Having said that, even though these guys were obviously morons, i dont know why it was necessary to identify that these were "Shamrock Rovers fans". Its just another public order offence that probably wouldnt have been put in the papers if there wasnt a LOI twist to it. Its pretty disappointing but to be expected at this stage.
It's the Turbine, what do you expect? Though the fact they are redesigning the paper AGAIN suggests it may be on its last legs, so we won;t have to put up with it from them for much longer

mypost
16/08/2010, 8:58 PM
Eight Shamrock Rovers fans were arrested last Sunday after causing extensive damage to a Dublin pub following a fixture against rival club Bohemians.

After the match, which took place in Tallaght Stadium, Rovers' home ground, about 20 fans travelled by bus from Tallaght to the Phibsborough House pub on the northside of the city

There is no direct bus from Tallaght to over there.

Not doubting there were arrests, but there's no proof nor quotes in the article stating it was our fans either.

SkStu
16/08/2010, 9:08 PM
the article doesnt claim there was a direct bus at all.

what constitutes proof then?

Shedendinvisibl
16/08/2010, 9:41 PM
Assuming this story is indeed true, a "minority" of at least 30 fans left Tallaght and went about traveling 17 kilometers across the city to cause a fight in what is a quiet local pub. Regardless of the status, relationship or otherwise that these people's links to SRFC are, there is no way that the SRFC club or board can not be in control of 30 fans like this. However, it's utterly unlikely that said same bunch would go to this much effort to cause havoc without any SRFC club officials or fans being aware of who they are and any inaction by them is unacceptable.

mypost
16/08/2010, 9:51 PM
There's nothing our club can do to stop free people smashing up pubs, but seriously nobody is going to travel an hour and a half by bus from one end of Dublin to the other, via two buses, just to smash up a pub, never mind 20 such people. If it was our fans involved, we'd have found out inside 24 hours.

The story is a week late and so off the wall, to be taken seriously.

Lim till i die
16/08/2010, 9:52 PM
It's believable.

It's those propah nawty football factories mongs innit.

PartySaint
16/08/2010, 9:53 PM
Nobody is going to travel an hour and a half by bus from one end of Dublin to the other, via two buses, just to smash up a pub. Never mind 20 such people. The story is a week late and so off the wall, to be believable.

A taxi man told me about this last Wednesday, To be honest i took no notice when he was saying it

Sean South
16/08/2010, 10:14 PM
Assuming this story is indeed true, a "minority" of at least 30 fans left Tallaght and went about traveling 17 kilometers across the city to cause a fight in what is a quiet local pub. Regardless of the status, relationship or otherwise that these people's links to SRFC are, there is no way that the SRFC club or board can not be in control of 30 fans like this. However, it's utterly unlikely that said same bunch would go to this much effort to cause havoc without any SRFC club officials or fans being aware of who they are and any inaction by them is unacceptable.

It might be a surprise to you but not all Shams supporters live in Tallaght!!! And if you're looking for a dance after/before football with all Guardians of the peace around the ground it wouldn't be uncommon for incidents like this to happen in a place some what similar to the location in the article.

It's a nothing story really, if it was 8 GAA fans arrested it wouldn't be printed.

bullit
16/08/2010, 10:33 PM
It might be a surprise to you but not all Shams supporters live in Tallaght!!! And if you're looking for a dance after/before football with all Guardians of the peace around the ground it wouldn't be uncommon for incidents like this to happen in a place some what similar to the location in the article.

It's a nothing story really, if it was 8 GAA fans arrested it wouldn't be printed.
100%.
Happens more often than the Gaaliban or the media would ever admit,right down to parish club level.

peadar1987
17/08/2010, 2:27 AM
And incidentally, a few thrown glasses, and a broken window or two, all contained within the one public house?

WORST

RAMPAGE

EVER!

de bowez
17/08/2010, 8:31 AM
There's nothing our club can do to stop free people smashing up pubs, but seriously nobody is going to travel an hour and a half by bus from one end of Dublin to the other, via two buses, just to smash up a pub, never mind 20 such people. If it was our fans involved, we'd have found out inside 24 hours.

When Bohs fans smashed up a pub we were quick to condemn it, paid for the damages and barred those responsible. I read a couple of posts around the internet since the match saying that there was an article coming - see the press thread on the ultras forum.

BohsPartisan
17/08/2010, 8:51 AM

Jesus mypost, do you think every negative story about rovers is a lie? Who else do you think is going to go into a well known Bohs pub and smash it up on the evening of derby day? Pats fans trying to give rovers a bad name? Coked up journalists? Bohs players out to kick the fans in the teeth yet again?
They were Rovers casuals. End of. They travelled all the way accross town almost five hours after the game ended to smash up a pub they knew was Bohs. Several of them were caught on CCTV and there were witnesses.

Shedendinvisibl
17/08/2010, 10:00 AM

It might be a surprise to you too but SRFC fans do travel to and from Tallaght on match days; where they live has nothing to do with this at all. The mere fact, however, that such a large group went to such effort to pull off this stunt in the afternoon not long after a derby match in Tallaght sure tells you a lot but if you wish to consider 30, yes, 30 people going across town to thrash a pub a non incident then shame on you.

HulaHoop
17/08/2010, 10:10 AM
Strange article, surprised the first mention of the incident was in a Sunday newspaper a full week after the event. I would have expected if "rovers scum" had smashed up a pub full of bohs fans it would have been on gypoweb that night or the next morning but not a word about it. How does the reporter know they travelled by bus? How does the reporter know they were Rovers fans? No quotes in the article at all. It's a story that wouldn't have got past the editor unless the words Shamrock Rovers were attached.

It seems all 8 were teenagers 5 of which were underage in the pub. This sounds like a few bebo schooligans arranged "a meet" with their counterparts in phibsboro. I bet if you had a look at their bebo/facebook pages you'd see them threatening each other all week prior to the game. Fuc*ing eejits. I'd expect the club to ban them if/when they are convicted but theres shag all we can do to stop public order offences happening on the other side of the city 5 hours after a match.

HulaHoop
17/08/2010, 10:26 AM
It might be a surprise to you too but SRFC fans do travel to and from Tallaght on match days; where they live has nothing to do with this at all. The mere fact, however, that such a large group went to such effort to pull off this stunt in the afternoon not long after a derby match in Tallaght sure tells you a lot but if you wish to consider 30, yes, 30 people going across town to thrash a pub a non incident then shame on you.

The article says 20 which is a nice round number but then again the article says a lot of things that can't be established as fact like how they got there for starters. The Garda spokesman says there were 3 arrests and 5 questioned which makes that 8 to me. But lets say it was 20, there was a crowd of over 5200 at the match. 20 out of 5200 = 0.4% of the overall crowd which cannot be considered "such a large group" as you allege. We can't even be sure these gobsh1tes were at the match never mind do anything to stop them having a fight in a bar hours after a match had taken place.

Macy
17/08/2010, 10:33 AM

What can any club do about an incident on the other side of a city, hours after a match? What are you looking for "anyone" to take responsibility for? Responsibility for policing is with the Gardai. Do we have legislation for banning orders, which is what clubs actually need to ban people (effectively) for football related trouble? Has Ahern moved to bring any in since the last incident that the media went to town on?

Also, who the fook has ever used "one family"? Maybe some marketing knob in the FAI (I'm not sure even they are that naff), but I've never heard a fan use it.

As ever, the Irish media highlight this issue with regard to the LoI, and no doubt it will be used as a stick to beat the league with. How many incidents happened in the UK after matches over the weekend, never mind a season. Does that stop pages of coverage of the actual matches, supplements etc? Does it even get a bloody mention?

pineapple stu
17/08/2010, 11:20 AM
"Football family" is a favourite of the FAI. It basically means "We all are in this together, so don't rock the boat and do exactly what we tell you"

BohsPartisan
17/08/2010, 11:32 AM
The article says 20 which is a nice round number but then again the article says a lot of things that can't be established as fact like how they got there for starters.

Does it really matter how they got there? Are you questioning the ability of Rovers fans to get from Tallaght to phibsboro in five hours? Even in the days before the automobile I'm sure they could have managed that. Read my post above (not mypost). The article is by and large factual. The only difference was there were probably between 30 and 40 of them, not twenty. I'm not saying Rovers could have done anything to stop this but at least you could condemn this behaviour instead of perpetually pretending that all your fans are whiter than white.

Macy
17/08/2010, 11:36 AM
"Football family" is a favourite of the FAI. It basically means "We all are in this together, so don't rock the boat and do exactly what we tell you"
It's a Delaney favourite alright, but the poster specifically said "One Family", as used by the "LoI community".

HulaHoop
17/08/2010, 11:50 AM
Does it really matter how they got there? Are you questioning the ability of Rovers fans to get from Tallaght to phibsboro in five hours? Even in the days before the automobile I'm sure they could have managed that. Read my post above (not mypost). The article is by and large factual. The only difference was there were probably between 30 and 40 of them, not twenty. I'm not saying Rovers could have done anything to stop this but at least you could condemn this behaviour instead of perpetually pretending that all your fans are whiter than white.

No I'm questioning the journalist presenting something as fact in the article by sayng "they travelled by bus" when there is no possible way the journalist could be sure of this. With that being the case it opens the entire article up to being questioned as to what is and isn't the truth in it. No other paper had this, no mention of the incident on the internet all week. That's not to say it didn't happen but I'm not going to apologise for not believing everything I read in a paper.

Maybe next time you reply to one of my posts you could quote everything I said instead of selectively quoting part of it and going to town on it. If you read either of my posts on this thread (which you obviously have) you would see the following

Fuc*ing eejits. I'd expect the club to ban them if/when they are convicted

and

these gobsh1tes

Is that me pretending they are whiter than white?

PartySaint
17/08/2010, 3:11 PM
Strange article, surprised the first mention of the incident was in a Sunday newspaper a full week after the event. I would have expected if "rovers scum" had smashed up a pub full of bohs fans it would have been on gypoweb that night or the next morning but not a word about it. How does the reporter know they travelled by bus? How does the reporter know they were Rovers fans? No quotes in the article at all. It's a story that wouldn't have got past the editor unless the words Shamrock Rovers were attached.

It seems all 8 were teenagers 5 of which were underage in the pub. This sounds like a few bebo schooligans arranged "a meet" with their counterparts in phibsboro. I bet if you had a look at their bebo/facebook pages you'd see them threatening each other all week prior to the game. Fuc*ing eejits. I'd expect the club to ban them if/when they are convicted but theres shag all we can do to stop public order offences happening on the other side of the city 5 hours after a match.

Pfffffft no one uses Bebo anymore

SkStu
20/08/2010, 1:52 AM
from their trip to Israel

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e348/bsccsc/nazis.jpg

we're all a hoop tonight, eh?

Lim till i die
20/08/2010, 1:55 AM
Kudos to the second one from the left.

Everyone knows the right hand is the correct hand for a Roman Salute.

bullit
20/08/2010, 2:05 AM
"And this is Pennys 2011 collection of Combat pants"
One size fits all

Lim till i die
20/08/2010, 2:10 AM
Looks like a job for:

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/images/fashionpolice.jpg

mypost
20/08/2010, 4:50 AM
Why can no one ever accept responsibilty? the old phrase get your own house in order etc springs to mind.

There has to be less blame culture and more responsibility and acceptance.

We've no responsibility to accept for this incident.

The mere fact, however, that such a large group went to such effort to pull off this stunt in the afternoon not long after a derby match in Tallaght sure tells you a lot but if you wish to consider 30, yes, 30 people going across town to thrash a pub a non incident then shame on you.

Nobody says the incident didn't happen, but I don't believe that 20, now 30 people specifically associated with Shamrock Rovers, boarded a "non-existent" bus to target a pub in Dublin 7 on a specific night. The story has a whiff of "SARI-gate" about it to me.

pineapple stu
20/08/2010, 9:47 AM
A non-existent bus?

You don't think it's possible to get a bus from Tallaght to Phibsboro at all? Even, say, the 77a to town and walk the 15 minutes to Phibsboro?