PDA

View Full Version : Connor Wickham

TrapAPony
16/08/2010, 2:03 PM
Saw this elsewhere. Today :

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wickham-wanted-by-NI-article556215.html

Ipswich striker Connor Wickham has emerged as a target for Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington.

The 17-year-old is currently out of action with a foot injury and helped England Under-17 side to the European Championship crown this summer. But he qualifies for Northern Ireland through his father Stefan, and former Norwich manager Worthington is keen to secure his future at international level.

Worthington said: "The question has been asked about Connor Wickham. There's potential there. We have done our homework and offered him the opportunity to further his international career with Northern Ireland."

He added: "Hopefully, he will follow young Oliver Norwood from Manchester United and throw in his lot with a squad he can help go places."

Connor is very highly rated, I would like to see us go after this guy. He could possibly solve our future forward problem.

boovidge
16/08/2010, 2:11 PM
Northern Ireland trying to pinch a youngster from another international team!? Surely this is a case for the Court of Arbitration for Sport? I'm sure there's some sort of sectarian motive behind this, it's creating a football apartheid whereby some English-born footballers eligible for Northern Ireland might choose to play for them! Bloody beggars!

Predator
16/08/2010, 2:30 PM
How does he qualify for us exactly? A quick perusal of his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Wickham) shows that he has played for England at schoolboy and U17 level.

Predator
16/08/2010, 2:33 PM
Northern Ireland trying to pinch a youngster from another international team!? Surely this is a case for the Court of Arbitration for Sport? I'm sure there's some sort of sectarian motive behind this, it's creating a football apartheid whereby some English-born footballers eligible for Northern Ireland might choose to play for them! Bloody beggars!
I suppose if he turns them down, Worthington can sit in front of the camera and say, with lament, "I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to play for Northern Ireland"

TrapAPony
16/08/2010, 2:37 PM
How does he qualify for us exactly? A quick perusal of his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Wickham) shows that he has played for England at schoolboy and U17 level.

His father is from the North.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/wicked-worthy-14911976.html#ixzz0wlFKd5UD

Maroon 7
16/08/2010, 3:05 PM
When I heard this lads name was Conor I knew there must be Irish in there somewhere. Can't see him declaring for NI though as he's expected to be a future England international at some point. I'm sure some gentle pressure will be applied to remind him of this.

At the rate that NI are hoovering up young English lads to play for them I take it they have now dismounted their high horse?

seanfhear
16/08/2010, 6:22 PM
When I heard this lads name was Conor I knew there must be Irish in there somewhere. Can't see him declaring for NI though as he's expected to be a future England international at some point. I'm sure some gentle pressure will be applied to remind him of this.

At the rate that NI are hoovering up young English lads to play for them I take it they have now dismounted their high horse?
They'd only get off the high horse to go on a orange order march !

SaucyJack
16/08/2010, 8:27 PM
rated at 8 million pounds? c'mon(Roy's evaluation, no doubt), and I don't think names like Conor or Keiron denote Irish links these days anymore than names like Kevin or Brian.

Closed Account
16/08/2010, 9:53 PM
£8 million is a conservative asking price for him. Ipswich want £10 million. Looks to be well worth it too.

SkStu
17/08/2010, 2:18 AM
yep - this guy was scoring for fun at the end of last season in the championship at 16 years old. Future England star, id say.

OwlsFan
05/05/2011, 9:33 AM
yep - this guy was scoring for fun at the end of last season in the championship at 16 years old. Future England star, id say.

Looks as if you were correct as he's playing for the English U21 side.