PDA

View Full Version : LOI fans

Pages : [1] 2

Ciaran W
15/08/2010, 8:52 PM
Alri lads, i was just wondering how long all of yous have been going to the league of ireland matches and do Yous go to every game, including cup, friendly and european games ?

SupaJon
15/08/2010, 9:05 PM
This is my first season and I get to all the home games I can.
(I've 2 small kids, so can't really commit to away games yet.)

Not been to any of the friendlies or European games ;) but the LSL semi & final.

paudie
15/08/2010, 9:14 PM
First game ever around 30 years ago.

Have been going to Cork City games since 1984. Have a season ticket and try to go to most home games and at least one away game a year.

Ciaran W
15/08/2010, 9:17 PM
This is my second season and i have only missed 6 games(including cup, friendly and european games) due to family reason and holidays, ive only been to 4 away games but all of them have been in the last 4 months and i am planning on going to as many as possible from now on.

osarusan
15/08/2010, 10:25 PM
My first season supporting Limerick was either 1987-88 or 1988-89. Would have been to pretty much every home game for the whole of the 90's, then left Ireland and saw only one game in seven years. Have never made it to more than a handful of away games a season though, due to school and family.

After all that time, I still haven't been to Richmond Park, the Brandywell, Finn Park, the Showgrounds, Tallaght and CHP in Monaghan (and previously Gortakeegan).

In all that time I've never missed a game with Limerick in Europe though, which I'm proud of.

Tallaght Saint
15/08/2010, 10:30 PM
Was brought to my first Pats game by my grandad who was club secretary at the time. It was Shels v Pats in tolka in about 1996, would of been about 5 at the time.

Been going to games consistantly for the last 3/4 years. Go to every home game and since last season the majority of away games too. Away trips are better craic :D

sligo23
15/08/2010, 10:47 PM
I just went in to use the toilet, and they havn't let me leave since.

peadar1987
15/08/2010, 10:53 PM
My dad started bringing me to games towards the end of 2003. He's not from the area, he's English, but he reckoned going to see your local team was just something you did.

I've been pretty sporadic in my attendance, for the first few seasons we'd make maybe 5 or 6 home games a year, then the season before last, I started going whenever I could, with or without my dad. I've made a few away trips in my time, but never further away than Dublin.

**FrOsTy**
15/08/2010, 11:03 PM
Every home and away game! Cup, Legaue, EA, MSC, Friendly! (Except for one stupid trip to longford that i missed :( BUT Longford doesnt count )

Ciaran W
15/08/2010, 11:07 PM
Fair play to you frosty ! :)

Riddickcule
15/08/2010, 11:23 PM
Always kept an eye out for them in the paper, properly went to games from 2007 onwards.

Don't go as much anymore though. Nobody in my area really does, they used to though. Ah, those were the days.

Ciaran W
15/08/2010, 11:29 PM
Who do you support Riddickcule ?

El-Pietro
16/08/2010, 2:16 AM
first game in 98 against CSKA Kiev, these days I try and get to as many games as I can, regardless of the competition

Riddickcule
16/08/2010, 2:17 AM
The Wanderers :)

Candystripe
16/08/2010, 3:43 AM
Sept '85 for me :)

I've missed 11 home games including friendlies since because of holidays.Was an ever present at away games up until two years ago very rarely missing any.Decided to only pick my away games since though.

I've only missed two (I think) European games since '97.Still paying for my '06 three away games ;)

pineapple stu
16/08/2010, 9:00 AM
First ever LoI game was the 1991 Cup Final (technically, it wasn't a LoI game, but anyway...)

First UCD game was 1998 I think; UCD v Waterford. Been going to most games since then. First away game outside Dublin was April 2000 against Drogheda, the 5-0 that got us into Europe. Thought all away games would be like that. :)

passinginterest
16/08/2010, 9:29 AM
First games would have been in Bray around the 01/02 season, I think I saw them play Bohs twice and Longford once, I remember being very impressed by a young Gary O'Neil coming off the bench for Bohs in both games. It was probably 2006 before I went to more games, I went to see Bohs 3 or 4 times that year and then Wexford Youths came along and I headed to all their games in Dublin as well as taking in a few more Bohs and Pat's games. I moved to Tallaght around the same time as Rovers so I've had a season ticket to Tallaght the last couple of years and only missed about 4 games in all competitions, as well as going to a few Pat's games and the Bohs v Salzburg game. I don't really see myself as a Rovers fan though and I haven't been to any Rovers away games, I just love live football and the League of Ireland and I think it'd be a terrible waste not to go and watch the team that's 5 minutes walk away. I'll admit I'm getting more and more into the games now and maybe eventually I'll be converted.

Dodge
16/08/2010, 9:38 AM
Try to get to every game. Have a few complete seasons in there but gets harder with more responsibilities (and summer football bringing clashes with weddings and the like). I always complain to friends who schedule weddings etc that clash with Pats games.

Been to 6 away games in europe. Only missed Russia and Bucharest due to pregnant wife. And yeah I moaned to her too

Ciaran W
16/08/2010, 9:56 AM
PI, do you go to the ultra or family stand ?

De Town
16/08/2010, 9:57 AM
Brought along by my dad when I was about 5 or 6. 14 years later and I'm still dragging myself out to the Flansiro as often as I can manage, and to the few away games that I can afford to get to. Student budgets ain't easy to manage. Our last season in the Premier was the closest I came to getting to every game, only missed 5 or 6 I think. Only been to one of our 3 away European games....that famous night in Wales. Couldn't afford Bulgaria and was on holidays for Vaduz. Best moment supporting the Town would be Shane Barrett rolling in the 2nd goal v Pats in the 2003 Cup Final. Closely followed by Paul Keegan doing the same 12 months later. Promotion in Cobh comes a close 3rd. Worst moment would definitely be Carmarthen, although the night we got relegated would give it a run for it's money.

We'll be back up...some day.

Ciaran W
16/08/2010, 10:07 AM
My best match so far was the 3-0 bohs win, but ive only been going for 1 and a half years so il be hoping for better ;)

Macy
16/08/2010, 10:27 AM
First game was v Newcastlewest in the 1988 FAI Cup. Started going regularly the promotion season (coincided with when I moved back).

My current attendance is pretty poor for a combination of reasons - family commitments mainly. Summer football really doesn't help either. Hoping that Town moving to Fridays will help medium term, even if the first two Fridays (at least) are out for me.

peadar1987
16/08/2010, 10:34 AM
My first LOI game actually wasn't a Bray one, before I went to the Carlisle with my dad, my mate brought me to watch Drogheda play UCD. Even convinced me to wear an old Drogheda shirt of his. God, that memory un-repressed itself pretty suddenly!!!!

passinginterest
16/08/2010, 10:46 AM
PI, do you go to the ultra or family stand ?

Mostly the family stand, but I mix it around. I find you get a better sense of the atmosphere being created by the Ultras from the family stand.

Spudulika
16/08/2010, 10:56 AM
1976, Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers in Oriel, don't remember much as I was 2 years old, but I do remember drinking concentrated orange (undiluted). Used to go to Oriel on and off since then, and when Dundalk played in Dublin (especially Dalymount) would go. I went to UCD and got a free pass to home games, so I went to most when I could and the odd time went to Oriel, but always was in Dalymount when the Lilywhites visited. Since I left Uni I've been outside of Ireland most of the time though whenever I'm home I'll always get to games, and if I'm close to where an Irish club is playing in Europe I'll go along. Last game I was home for was in Tallaght for Shamrock Rovers vs Sporting Fingal. With that game it meant I've seen all the LOI clubs currently in action, as well as all the previous incarnations (EMFA, Newcastle West) though I haven't seen the new Cork or Derry play yet. Only been to one FAI Cup final though (that Dundalk weren't in, though the last I missed as I was outside of the country in 2002) - supporting St. Francis.

Ciaran W
16/08/2010, 11:06 AM
Is the atmosphere good from the ultras in the family stand ? I havent been in that stand since the new one opened so i wouldn't know whats it like.

paul_oshea
16/08/2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/plastic-fans-should-be-wooed-not-slated-2298606.html

thischarmingman
16/08/2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/plastic-fans-should-be-wooed-not-slated-2298606.html

Yeah, it's our holier-than-thou attitude that's turning people away alright.

My favourite thing to do when a barstooler walks into the Brandywell (we can smell them you see) is to go up to him in front of everyone and ask him to name the 1965 league winning team- they never can! Has us all in stitches. Then we ask him which of our new signings he thinks is doing well but- get this- whatever he says we disagree with him!! Belter craic. That soon scares the lad off and we can go back to swapping anecdotes about Gothenburg and sticking pins in Steven Gerrard dolls.

pineapple stu
16/08/2010, 11:16 AM
What's that got to do with the thread?

passinginterest
16/08/2010, 11:27 AM

Very brave journalist that wouldn't even put a name to that piece of utter rubbish.

Macy
16/08/2010, 11:35 AM
Should be moved to another thread, or even rubbish. We already know that barstoolers will do anything to justify their "support", and the fact that they'll be nothing but welcomed into LoI grounds by the vast vast majority unless they're acting the complete tool.

pineapple stu
16/08/2010, 11:49 AM
Should be moved to another thread, or even rubbish
It'd be a shame to bin tcm's excellent reply. But any more comments on it will be binned. Obviously, if paul wants to start a new thread on it, he can.

Sam_Heggy
16/08/2010, 12:50 PM
Been going to Finn Park since the late 80's early 90's. Mainly home games until about 5 years ago, since then I rarely miss a game.

I am very proud in the fact that I have not missed a Harps game in Europe in the last 10 years.

Favourite games would include the play-offs in 2007 and cup semi final in 99.

Overall, the play-off with Longford in Finn Park was special. Although we eventually lost, it had everything, a packed Finn Park, the best Atmosphere I can remember with everyone in the ground singing, Kevin McHugh's hat-trick, Eric Lavine (Cnut) scoring a screamer, digger O'Brien in nets for Longford, getting beaten on penalties, that was it for me, that was what it was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5o82vHhOjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-y7f8HOfQ0&feature=related

KevB76
16/08/2010, 12:50 PM
Went to my first Limerick FC match in 2004.
Have been to all but one home game since 2007 season (missed Dundalk at home 1st round 07 season).

My first away game was Athlone in 2007.
From the start of last season I've been to every away match except the Mons game that was moved to a Thursday last year, and the pre-season match v Galway this year.

I look forward to my first European adventure with Limerick in the not too distant future :D

thischarmingman
16/08/2010, 1:03 PM
First City match I went to was the 1997 Cup Final, which my uncle took me too. Can't remember much about the day beyond running up and down the aisle of the bus with some other kids (I would have been 11), and a guy standing on a kerb after the game singing "Who cares when you win the league..." The fact that Shels had scored a second surprised me- Id somehow managed to miss it entirely.

The second game I went to was the European game where we also lost 2-0, to NK Maribor. This was my first game in the Brandywell.

On my third occasion I saw my first City goal scored by none other than one D. Ginola, during the charity match for the victims of the Omagh bombing. Good times.

The Cup Finals in 2002 and 2006 would be among my favourite City memories. 2002 was one of the first times I'd stood in a (for me) massive crowd and that was really special, despite the fact I missed the only goal of the game when I went to the toilet just after half time to "beat the rush." 2006 was brilliant because I was at uni at the time and manged to convince a dozen Irish and English friends to come with me (including Arsenal,West Ham and Spurs season ticket holders), all of whom thought it was one of the best games they'd witnessed.

I go to as many Euro games as possible, though can't always travel. I missed the second leg of the Gretna match when I was best man at a friend's wedding- thank God we had the tie done and dusted after the first leg or it would have been an exceptionally short speech.

PartySaint
16/08/2010, 1:42 PM
I was brought to my first game in 1990 by my dad, Pats Rovers in the RDS, We would go to most home games through the 90's and most of the away games in Dublin, We would get to a few outside Dublin,, We kept that up until about 05-06 now go to all home games and nearly all away games, Missed 5 games last season and have missed 4 games this season all home ones due to work and the likes, My first away European game was in Celtic Park in 98 one of my favourite moments along with Elfsborg at home the Krylia Sovetov game, Winning the league in Dundalk and Killkenny and the 1999 league win against Bray at home, Bad moments would be the 3 cup finals, they all have their own reason for being terrible, The Derry one because we lead 3 times, the Longford one because i really thought we would win that one comfortably but the worst fo me was Shels in 96 the replay was the day of my 8th birthday worst birthday ever:(

Cuyahoga
16/08/2010, 1:46 PM
I've been going to L.O.I games since the mid seventies.My father brought me to Milltown and I've been hooked since.
I started going on my own during the Johnny Giles era in the late seventies. THe mid eighties was a memorable time
as Rovers won four titles in a row. When Milltown was sold it was a tough time but I stuck with them through the
lean years,the R.D.S years been good times with a league title in 1994.
The worst times were renting Richmond and Morton Stadiums. I go to every home and most away games in all
competitions.The last two years have been the best so far,and hopefully trophies wont be too far off.

sligoman
16/08/2010, 1:46 PM
Been going since very early 90's. Went to the odd away game but started going to away games regularly around 2005. Went to every game last season(league, cups, Europe) and have missed just two this year.

De Town
16/08/2010, 2:05 PM
Been going to Finn Park since the late 80's early 90's. Mainly home games until about 5 years ago, since then I rarely miss a game.

I am very proud in the fact that I have not missed a Harps game in Europe in the last 10 years.

Favourite games would include the play-offs in 2007 and cup semi final in 99.

Overall, the play-off with Longford in Finn Park was special. Although we eventually lost, it had everything, a packed Finn Park, the best Atmosphere I can remember with everyone in the ground singing, Kevin McHugh's hat-trick, Eric Lavine (Cnut) scoring a screamer, digger O'Brien in nets for Longford, getting beaten on penalties, that was it for me, that was what it was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5o82vHhOjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-y7f8HOfQ0&feature=related

Bloody hell that was some game alright. I missed Eric's goal just after HT coz I was outside the ground getting chips from some chipper up the road. Heard the roar, was sure it was a Harps goal at the time, sprinted back down the road and Harps were just kicking off. Serious drama that night, the celebrations on the pitch afterwards were special.

Dodge
16/08/2010, 2:24 PM
I love the way the vast majority remember all the little details. Only football fans can reel off the exact amount of games they've missed, who the games were against, and the reason why they missed it.

SwanVsDalton
16/08/2010, 2:42 PM
First game I ever went to was the '89 cup final against Cork. I was only four, so can barely remember the game or the replay that followed. Actually have much better memories of the friendlies against Spurs and Man City, which preceded the following season.

Favourite games are almost too numerous to mention: certainly the cup finals in '95 and '02, the league title victory game against St.Pats in '07, the away leg against Paris St.Germain. But for sheer drama, and for the memory of the Jungle, it has to be the relegation playoff against Harps in '03. My favourite game I didn't get to see was the '06 cup final. Was hungover, slept in, missed the bus and caught the final on TV only to watch one of the most astonishing games of football I ever should've seen live.:o

paul_oshea
16/08/2010, 2:49 PM
It'd be a shame to bin tcm's excellent reply. But any more comments on it will be binned. Obviously, if paul wants to start a new thread on it, he can.

sorry i didnt mean to put it in that thread. i thought i was on a different thread. didnt really think it warrants its own one really though?! Most has been said before.

But start one up if you think it should be and see what people think of it.

I dont think the reaction should be to actually adhere to the stereotype, by using words or phrases that were part of the piece, its inverted snobbery at the end of the day. Whatever way you want to dress it up.

pineapple stu
16/08/2010, 2:57 PM
sorry i didnt mean to put it in that thread. i thought i was on a different thread. didnt really think it warrants its own one really though?! Most has been said before.
Fair enough; it's being discussed in the LoI v Man Utd thread at the moment.

paul_oshea
16/08/2010, 3:02 PM
ya thats where i thought i was. move it there so then.

Hitman
16/08/2010, 3:21 PM
Started with the same CSKA Kiev match as El Pietro in '98. Attended home games regularly once I learned to drive (Sunday afternoon kick-offs were a great excuse to steal my mother's car), and maybe one or two away games a season. Since returning from a year working abroad in 2006 I've missed three home games, one in the league. I've stepped up the away games as well in a bid to see every ground (four left to go).

Martinho II
16/08/2010, 5:28 PM
I have being going to matches since the 89-90 season in Abbeycartron when I went to the game with a few of the elder section o brigade when we played on sundays. I wasn't big into them but i went a few games a season but I wouldnt have a clue who the opposition players or even the majority of our own players!

I lived in Sligo in mid nineties and probably went to as many sligo games as I did longford. I suppose I really got into it in the 97/98 season under Mickey O'Connor. It was the 99/00 season around march when I went to my first away game. Since then I rarely miss a home game and go to practically 80-90% of the away games depending on any clashes.. this season I has missed two games and last year missed two games too. I have never gone to every game in a season yet but that will be done please god some day. I have being in all the grounds though ( including Shamrock Rovers in this as I went out to see what the ground looked like when they were in the process of constructing it nine years ago but I am really looking forward to Tallaght for attending it properly if we draw with Shamrock Rovers in the CUP!

Cuyahoga
16/08/2010, 8:37 PM
Should be a good game in Flancare Park.Two clubs with good cup tradition. I'd take a draw.

El-Pietro
16/08/2010, 11:55 PM
Started with the same CSKA Kiev match as El Pietro in '98. Attended home games regularly once I learned to drive (Sunday afternoon kick-offs were a great excuse to steal my mother's car), and maybe one or two away games a season. Since returning from a year working abroad in 2006 I've missed three home games, one in the league. I've stepped up the away games as well in a bid to see every ground (four left to go).
I'm still upset about the late goal we gave away!

Lamper.sffc
17/08/2010, 9:11 AM
Obviously I have nt been going to LOI games as long as some of the people in here due to the fact of who I support. Since Iv started to go to games Iv loved every minute of it. Feels really good to finally have a local team in the LOI.

The first year (2008) that fingal competed, I would have attended nearly all the home games in all comps and about 2 to 3 away games. The second year, I didnt miss a home game no matter what the competition and made it to about 10 away games. This year I have missed about 6 or 7 games in total. 3 of which where due to me being abroad.

My favourite moments from those 3 short years are the cup Final win (obviously), Beating Shels in the playoff/promotion last year and knocking Shamrock Rovers out of the Cup at Tallaght. And a special mention has to go to the cup game in our first year where we drew with pats 3-3 at Morton. What a great game of football that was :)

Onefootednopace
17/08/2010, 11:52 AM
Was brought to my first City game in 1984 down at the Lodge but only saw a handful of games there. I started attending more regularly from 1986 onwards when City moved to the Cross. The move to Bishopstown tested my patience as it meant two bus trips, standing in the muck while trying to keep warm (couldn't afford to go into the stand back then), and watching 22 players trying to play on a bog. However I kept the faith and continue to attend every home game and try to make a couple of away trips per year. My only regret is that I didn't go on any one of the European trips around 2004/2005 as the Celtic Tiger wasn't that kind to me.