PDA

View Full Version : Betting Strategies

redobit
15/08/2010, 6:28 PM
Theres plenty of football betting strategies on the net, and most if them are just BS. Was wondering if anybody had a decent betting strategy that they found good and has brought them a few quid.

ifk101
19/08/2010, 8:43 AM
I suppose the best betting strategy is basic common sense. Stick to what you know best, understand the mathematics for odds making, weigh up the stated odds against your own evaluation, place bet with the bookmaker offering the most "value", keep a record of placed bets and have a disciplined money management.

Dodge
19/08/2010, 9:29 AM
Yep, thats it in a nutshell.

The only thing I'd add is research, research, research.

If betting on tennis is your thing; make sure you know the records of players on each type of surface, their head to head results, how often they've played in the last month, whether they have a more important tournament coming up the next week etc etc etc

The more you know, the easier making a decision will be.

JC_GUFC
25/08/2010, 2:31 PM
I'd agree with IFK that you need to keep a record of your bets. If you're betting with lots of bookmakers to always get best price then it's very hard to know your P&L over a long period of time, let alone a weekend. (Last weekend I had bets on 5 different LoI games with 4 different bookmakers!)
You will also see where you're losing money on your betting and it will teach you not to put on stupid bets. (EG you had 10 on Bray to beat Pat's at 9/1 but then after it won you put 10 on the favourite in the next horse race because you'd money in your account!)

Den Perry
31/08/2010, 3:30 PM
I'd agree with IFK that you need to keep a record of your bets. If you're betting with lots of bookmakers to always get best price then it's very hard to know your P&L over a long period of time, let alone a weekend. (Last weekend I had bets on 5 different LoI games with 4 different bookmakers!)
You will also see where you're losing money on your betting and it will teach you not to put on stupid bets. (EG you had 10 on Bray to beat Pat's at 9/1 but then after it won you put 10 on the favourite in the next horse race because you'd money in your account!)

As one poster is called on betfair, Patience and disciple = profit!!
I've started doing yankees on English football for the last two weeks. Because I got 2 / 3 draws up so many times last season, I was considering on doing 5euroyankees on draws. I know that will cost 55(which is a very large stake for me) to do, but if I'm disciplined and make that my only bet each week I'll be happy. two draws will get my money back,3 will make about 300 and 4 would return about 1,500k!!However it goes against the patience and discipline mantra as its obviously aiming for the quick hit!That said, its a bit to early to try and predict draws until certain teams develop a pattern for them. So far this season I've done 4 team accas and one has let me down each week(not draws).

I really fancied cardiff last week, but put them in an accum and of course one let me down.

But, I really think the only way to make money over the long term is singles. Even better on betfair where you can "go green"

brianw82
02/09/2010, 6:10 PM
I would add that you should use betting-in-running to your advantage. The other week, when Drogheda were at home to Bohs, Bohs were 1/2 to win prior to kick-off. With the score still 0-0 after 75 mins, they were out to 2/1. Who's more likely to score that late goal to win it? Get on Bohs at those odds, which are irresistable.
In this case my fingers weren't quick enough and they duly scored the only game. I foolishly placed a retaliatory bet on the corners market which duly lost.

My advice would be to only go in on something if the odds are favourable. If not, leave it - there is ALWAYS some other game. There is no rush. If you're betting online, I'd also advise to use a central wallet like Moneybookers, and deposit to and withdraw from the various bookies to it. It'll also help you keep track of your winnings.
Be brave. Sometimes that 7/4 away win will come off, especially if you know the team's character, ie. Rosenborg in Norway. Your guts will be rewarded and I've found it's better to do this than lump on Chelsea at home at 1/10.

Spudulika
02/09/2010, 6:12 PM
One tip for tennis, never bet on a match involving an Argentine male player!

ParkLife
03/09/2010, 11:46 AM
One tip for Football Accums is "never pick a team that you wouldn't do in a single".

DmanDmythDledge
08/09/2010, 12:02 PM
One tip for Football Accums is not to do them.

centre mid
08/09/2010, 12:18 PM
Always back a team that at least one player has slept with the ex-wife or ex-girlfriend of one his team-mates, but only when they are odds against.