PDA

View Full Version : Our right to equality!!!

cookie
21/04/2004, 5:16 PM
if women should have the right to be paid the same as us men etc.

why don't we have the right to have the same price of car insurance that they do?????

the whole systems a ****!n joke!!

Plastic Paddy
21/04/2004, 5:39 PM
if women should have the right to be paid the same as us men etc.

why don't we have the right to have the same price of car insurance that they do?????

the whole systems a ****!n joke!!

Insurance premiums are mainly based on quantifiable risk. Ongoing studies (such as those undertaken by the TRL in the UK) show that men cause more accidents whilst driving, ergo men tend to be charged more for car insurance. Simple really. And nothing to do with equality.

:) PP

Quack
21/04/2004, 9:01 PM
There's a good discussion of this topic here (http://b30.ezboard.com/faskaboutmoneyfrm16.showMessage?topicID=2779.topic )

brendy_éire
21/04/2004, 10:39 PM
The EU are bringing in equality legislation to make it illegal to discriminate against a person on the grounds of gender with regard to insurance.

About time! :mad:

liamon
22/04/2004, 8:22 AM
I've a lot of sympathy for young guys trying to get a car for the first time and getting quotes of €3k. I went through that as well and couldn't afford a car til I was in my late 20's.
The problem isn't the insurance companies, it's the idiots in subarus, alloy wheels, etc. Young male drivers are dangerous.
Sweeping generalisation, but quite close to the truth.

If you want to lower premiums, society as to make these guys drive safely.
Maybe limit people under 25 to a 1 litre car or something? Proper speed checks on our roads.

Peadar
22/04/2004, 9:06 AM
Ongoing studies show that men cause more accidents whilst driving,

I think men are involved in more serious accidents as they tend to drive a greater speed. I read a report which stated women caused more accidents than men but they were dealt with outside of any official process. i.e. No police involvement and cash settlement as opposed to an insurance claim.

It should also be noted that insurance firms make massive profits despite their insistance that claims have risen dramatically.

Pure Greed!

Macy
22/04/2004, 9:46 AM
It should also be noted that insurance firms make massive profits despite their insistance that claims have risen dramatically.

Pure Greed!
Just to back up the point - guess who they make the biggest profits off? It's the "young" male drivers... Young men are basically subsidising the insurance of all other sectors.

However, if this legislation is based, they'll just base it on the highest risk, not average it out, so everyone will be paying the higher rate (which is why I'm surprised the insurance federations are fighting it).

Another point on the young drivers - most drink drivers are older drivers, not young lads.

Finally, get provisional licence drivers off the road, unless accompanied by a qualified driver of 3 years experience. That is ridiculous and gives the insurance industry the excuse...

tiktok
22/04/2004, 10:04 AM
If you want to lower premiums, society as to make these guys drive safely.
Maybe limit people under 25 to a 1 litre car or something? Proper speed checks on our roads.

had that exact conversation at the weekend. not with you though.

I think if you limited u23's to 1 litre cars it's make a real difference. Also, since I've passed my driving test I'm all for enforcing the passenger accompanying a provisional licence holder rule.

It's idiotic that you can fail a driving test and then drive home on your own.

agree completely that women or insurance companies aren't the source of the problem, Civic's and Subaru imprezza's in the hands of eighteen year old lads is.

pete
22/04/2004, 11:38 AM
I think men are involved in more serious accidents as they tend to drive a greater speed. I read a report which stated women caused more accidents than men

True.

The Irish Insurance Industry is as unprofessional as any in thbis country. Everything is still paper based which is ludicrous in the 21st century.
e.g. if changing insurer need to get letter from previous insurer for NCB. Would it be too much to have the industry connected electronically?

In the UK insurers have national publically available system of insurance groups. If had one in this country at least the boy racers would know in advance they buying a high category motor.

:rolleyes:

Éanna
22/04/2004, 1:31 PM
Several things they need to do:
1) Revamp the driving test so that it actually tests drivers ability in various conditions, not just pottering about housing estates for half an hour.
2) Do away with provisional licences completely- they're a danger to society.
3) Start putting garda speed traps and checks in places other than wide dual carriageways, place where accidentas actually happen.
4) Deal with the idiots who drive in the middle of a main road at 35 miles an hour and cause accidents because people are trying to pass them.
5)Get souped up cars off the road full-stop: if you want to race go to a ****ing race track.
6) Teach people to drive, not to pass the driving test.

Having driven in both Germany and Spain I can honestly say that the standard of driving in this country is atrocious. The roads are full of people who are determined to do what they want and **** everyone else. People who won't let anyone pass them, people who drive around with one headlight, people who do 45mph in a 60 zone and keep at 45 in a 30 zone.

The number of sheer menaces on Irish roads is a national scandal and I am fed up paying for them. I'm 21 and bought a 1 litre car just over a year ago and paid 2750 for third party insurance despite having a full licence since I was 18 and never having had a claim. How in the hell is this justifiable considering the car is worth only about 4000 :rolleyes: :mad:

Peadar
22/04/2004, 1:52 PM
paid 2750 for third party insurance despite having a full licence since I was 18 and never having had a claim. How in the hell is this justifiable considering the car is worth only about 4000 :rolleyes: :mad:

You're not insuring your car, you're paying for the potential damage you could do to someone elses car. That's why it's so expensive.
If you or your passenger was injured due to an accident caused by you (may that never happen), neither they nor you would get a cent with Third Party Insurance.

Macy
22/04/2004, 2:03 PM
people who do 45mph in a 60 zone and keep at 45 in a 30 zone.
:mad: Pet hate of mine... Spot on the rest though. btw not worth buying or driving a banger - better the car, the less the insurance in my experience....

Éanna
22/04/2004, 2:04 PM
Yeah, thats true- I was thinking of it from the "Fire and Theft" point of view. Its just crazy having to pay that kind of insurance.

tiktok
22/04/2004, 3:34 PM
Having driven in both Germany and Spain I can honestly say that the standard of driving in this country is atrocious

and I'll add the USA to that list
they teach defensive driving (as opposed to passing the test) there, and you can see the difference it makes on the roads. Having a traffic cop in school zones etc. helps keep it in check though.

Gary
22/04/2004, 5:36 PM
I just did my driving test a few weeks ago. Passed it thank god. But the difference now in my insurance is crazy.

This time last yr, i was insured for the first time on my folks insurance. I was a 24yo provisional driver - €1300. This time this yr, as a 25 yo full driver - €120!

How is that justifiable?

As for the test itself, it was bolloox. I was just ultra careful, made a few silly mistakes. He told me i passed, i drove home the same way as always, not rigidly keeping my hands at 10 - 2 etc etc etc.

pete
22/04/2004, 5:57 PM
How is that justifiable?

Simple really.

Pre test - No insurer has any independent examination of your driving abilities

Post test - You not legal to drive on the road. test may not be much but then why do many people fail it several times.