PDA

View Full Version : Conor Doyle

CraftyToePoke
10/08/2010, 11:47 PM
This guy has just signed a 2 year deal at Derby, Irish father according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Doyle

Does anyone know anymore about him?

co. down green
11/08/2010, 12:11 AM
Found this from his school website (http://www.gocreighton.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1000&ATCLID=204974448)

DannyInvincible
11/08/2010, 12:13 AM
A bit on the US Youth Soccer site about him as well: http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/story.asp?story_id=5651

US Youth Soccer and Dallas Texans alumni Conor Doyle signed a two-year contract with Derby County Wolves of the English Championship division today after a preseason trial this summer. The 18-year-old Doyle, who enrolled at Creighton University on a soccer scholarship last spring, played in several preseason games and added a goal during his trial with Derby County, impressing coaches enough to have the club hurrying to sign the midfielder/forward in time for the season opener this weekend.

With the Texans, Doyle won the 2008 US Youth Soccer National League Under-16 championship, scoring six goals in seven games, and he helped lead the team as they went on to claim the U-16 US Youth Soccer National Championship that year. In 2006, Doyle scored a goal in a 3-2 loss to Valley United Blast (CA-S) in the Under-14 National Championship game.

"I had the opportunity to coach Conor for five years. He was a very important part of the success of the team that won the national championship and his professional approach to training and to the game has set him apart from the rest. His intelligence, technical ability and gift for finishing will always be a big threat to any defender," said Dallas Texans director Hassan Nazari. "He is one of those unique forwards that is very good with his back to the goal and has a tremendous technical ability. Because of his height, he is very dangerous in the air. Players with a professional attitude like Conor must be in a professional environment to grow and develop and I am very pleased that he chose the professional path. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be hearing more about Conor's success. In my opinion, he has a very promising future."

Doyle joins Clint Dempsey (England), Jared Jeffries (Germany), Gregory Garza (Portugal), Lee Nguyen (Holland) and Hunter Freeman (Belgium) as Texans alumni who have gone on to play professionally in Europe.

The Derby County Wolves? :confused:

CraftyToePoke
11/08/2010, 12:31 AM
The Derby forums have a bit on him here, and also a section on there about Clough being in Dublin watching Paddy Madden at the weekend.

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4

It will be interesting to see how Doyle progresses and where his international loyalties lay should he do so.

irishfan86
11/08/2010, 1:05 AM
I don't know his exact age, but I saw it written somewhere that he's a teenager. The smart thing to do would be to invite him to an underage squad if he impresses with Derby.

DannyInvincible
11/08/2010, 1:08 AM
He's 18. Not sure of his date of birth though.

tetsujin1979
11/08/2010, 8:54 AM
Blue Lou alerted me to him signing for Derby before the season started and he was on the bench for the season's opener against Leeds - http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55547&seasonID=140
Haven't updated with last night's games yet, but Doyle came off the bench late on for Derby in a 1-0 loss to Crewe - http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10270~53923,00.html

I don't know his date of birth, I just put in Jan 1990, I'll update it when I get the correct date

co. down green
16/08/2010, 2:07 PM
With the move to Derby County, young Conor Doyle came into contact with Irish international Paul Green, who has immediately alerted the FAI of the youngster's eligibility.

Doyle's father was born in Ireland before he moved to America to take up a professional soccer career in the now defunct Major Indoor Soccer League. Between 1987 and 1998, David Doyle played for the Kansas City Comets, Dallas Sidekicks, St. Louis Rush, and Wichita Wings, where he scored an incredible 637 goals in 520 games.

His father went to college in Campbell University where he excelled at soccer, making the All-American side in 1986 and setting records that stand to this day.

Doyle now has a coaching role with the Dallas Texans.

With the Irish links, and passport, Derby County did not have to go through many of the formalities they would normally have to travail to sign the American born youngster. As he carries an Irish passport, he is a UK resident as far as the FA is concerned.

The FAI are watching the youth's progress as we speak and with the news that he already has an Irish passport and has so far been overlooked by the USSF's youth set-up it is believed that the FAI may approach the youngster for an U-19 or U-21 international in the near future.

Predator
16/08/2010, 6:50 PM
Is that snippet from The Bleacher Report, CDG? Don't quite know what to make of it...

Team USA Set To Go To War with Team Ireland over 18 Year Old Conor Doyle (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/436062-team-usa-set-to-go-to-war-with-team-ireland-over-18-year-old-conor-doyle)

geysir
16/08/2010, 7:55 PM
I like the comment at the bottom from a reader,
'the only wars Ireland have a possibility of winning' :)

Not a bad article considering, some flights of fancy but it works - keeping a complicated issue simple, even if some facts get a bit skewed up.

co. down green
16/08/2010, 9:31 PM
Is that snippet from The Bleacher Report, CDG? Don't quite know what to make of it...

Team USA Set To Go To War with Team Ireland over 18 Year Old Conor Doyle (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/436062-team-usa-set-to-go-to-war-with-team-ireland-over-18-year-old-conor-doyle)

That's the one, a bit of a strange article but the important part is his Irish passport and his Irish father.

You win some you lose some, Jack Grealish and Jordan Graham who played for us at u15 level are both attending England u16 trials this week.

tetsujin1979
28/08/2010, 8:10 PM
Conor Doyle has played down speculation surrounding his international future as he focuses on settling in at Derby County: http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Talk-Irish-premature-Doyle-focuses-settling-new-life-Pride-Park/article-2576002-detail/article.html

This has led to talk in some quarters that the Football Association of Ireland are considering approaching the youngster for an international call-up, either at Under-19 or Under-21 level.
On the FAI's reported interest in him, Doyle said: "I don't know anything about that. "Right now I'm just focusing on getting into the team here at Derby and I'll make that decision when it comes.

theworm2345
28/08/2010, 8:18 PM
The next Joe Lapira

boovidge
29/08/2010, 8:41 PM
except that he plays for a professional club

theworm2345
29/08/2010, 9:09 PM
except that he plays for a professional club
Thats hardly fair to Nybergsund

irishfan86
29/08/2010, 10:10 PM
In fairness I think Lapira is no longer with Nybergsund, so for the moment is unemployed. Last I heard he was in talks with a professional team in India:

Lapira to India

Irish-American footballer Joseph Lapira, who has played internationally for Ireland is looking to a move to Kolkata club Mohun Bagan.

http://zipsport.com/wordpress/?p=683

Jicked
30/08/2010, 12:02 AM
I for one can't wait to read Joe Lapira's autobiography. The chapter on his first meeting with Stan and trying to keep a straight face is going to golden.

cclinton
11/12/2010, 6:35 PM
Thomas Rongen has selected his 24-man roster for next week's United States Under-20 training camp, and it includes nine first-timers along with a number of players already established at that level.

Among the notable additions are Derby County's Conor Doyle, who will be making his first appearance at any level of the U.S. youth system.

Junior
11/12/2010, 7:54 PM
Could be a wrong'en that Doyle lad....

TrapAPony
11/12/2010, 7:54 PM
http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/doyle-unsure-of-irish-stand-2452685.html

DERBY COUNTY's highly rated Irish prospect Conor Doyle says he still hasn't made up his mind on his international future despite a call-up by the USA.

The 19-year-old, who has impressed in the Rams' first team this season, was born in Texas but qualifies for Ireland as his dad, David, is from Dublin and has been involved in coaching in the US for some time. The USA have handed a first call-up to Doyle as he's been named in their U20 squad for a training camp and two friendly games against Canada next week, and Doyle has said he will travel to Florida for the trip -- but he has not closed the door on a possible career with Ireland.

"I can play for the USA or Ireland so a definite decision moving forwards hasn't been made yet, but I am honoured to be called up," Doyle said.

"I can't wait to get out there, it's a real privilege and it will be a great experience. It is a pretty special feeling to get the letter that you've been called up and it has capped off a very good six months for me. I didn't think this year could be any better but this is pretty special," added Doyle.

The striker's Irish connections are strong as his dad is from Artane and played schoolboy football here before moving to the US college circuit.

The FAI has already made contact with the Derby County man and his family, and it remains hopeful that he will eventually declare his allegiance to the Republic. "We have spoken to Conor and made it very clear that we'd like him to come on board with us," an FAI source said today. "We didn't know that he had been called up by the USA but it's not a big issue as it's only for a training camp and two friendly games. He won't be tied to the US even if he plays for them, and we would hope to have Conor named in the squad for our next game at U21 level."

Teenager Doyle joined Derby last summer on a two-year deal after catching the eye of the Rams' US scouts, and boss Nigel Clough then immediately handed Doyle a squad number.

He made his debut in August soon after signing for the Rams and has since made eight appearances for Clough's Championship side.

"This is great news for Conor and I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience for him," said Clough. "He is developing as a footballer every day. He is benefiting from training on a daily basis and has done well in the reserves. Conor is one for the future, and experiences like this will only help him in the future."

Derby have had strong connections with Ireland over the years as players such as Dave langan, Rory Delap, Lee Carsley and -- more recently -- Paul Green were all capped while at the East Midlands club.

Former Ireland U21 keeper Saul Deeny is currently the reserve keeper at the club while, recently, the Rams have upped their interest in young Irish players. Teenager Mark O'Brien has played for the first team while Jeff Hendrick, Graham Kelly, Ryan Connolly and Kallum Keane are also on the books -- teenager Hendrick made it to the bench for a league game with Burnley last month.

AlaskaFox
27/01/2011, 8:31 PM
Called into our u21 squad.
http://greenscene.me/2011/01/james-mccarthy-and-conor-doyle-named-in-u21-squad/

gastric
27/01/2011, 8:55 PM
Interesting to see if he is just testing the waters as it is a friendly, or if he is really committed to us!

Yard of Pace
27/01/2011, 8:58 PM
Interesting to see if he is just testing the waters as it is a friendly, or if he is really committed to us!

He said in the Herald that he's just testing the waters. Big decision in fairness. Father from Dublin but the attraction of US World Cup involvement....

Predator
27/01/2011, 9:03 PM
Is that Herald article online, YoP? I wonder is he fully aware of FIFA's statutes on eligibility? Has he ever played for the US underage teams (U17/U19/U21)? If so, then I presume that he must change in order to be able to play for us in this game and since a dual-qualified player can only make one association change, he would be tied to us.

tetsujin1979
27/01/2011, 9:15 PM
article online here: http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/doyle-mulls-irish-future-2508409.html

"I haven't made a final decision yet, there's still a chance that I could play for Ireland if I am asked," Doyle told the Herald.

"I was away with the US for two training camps but I haven't committed myself to them in any way.

"If the FAI ask me to come and train with them then I'll do that, and make a final decision on my international future after that.

"I haven't spoken to the Irish U21 manager yet but I know that he has spoken to my dad and he mentioned a possible call-up for a training camp and match next month, so if that call comes from Ireland I will, of course, come over and train and see the set-up for myself.

"I know I need to make a decision, I don't want to leave anyone waiting for me to decide, so if the Irish squad ask me to come to Dublin for a look I'd be happy to do it," added Doyle.

Sullivinho
27/01/2011, 10:02 PM
Future USA star. He'll come over here, it'l be pi$$ing rain, he'll get a sense of the melancholy in the air and catastrophically, mistake Noel King for a Mexican.

Cue 'All my ex's live in Texas'.

Yard of Pace
27/01/2011, 11:02 PM
They can have the team coach stop off at Carroll's and the Guinness Storehouse before training so he can stock up on all the tat that the Yanks love. Charlie O'Leary can pop out from behind bushes at the training ground before scurrying away at regular intervals and we can tell him it's a leprechaun. He'll go back to Derby having witnessed the "craic" at first-hand and he'll be devoted to Ireland for life.

Metrostars
28/01/2011, 12:45 PM
I think we should know soon enough either way. The US U-20 team will be having the U-20 World Cup qualifiers in April, with the finals starting in July in Colombia.

Stuttgart88
28/01/2011, 1:34 PM
Trap's a genius. He has told KIng to pick McCarthy for the U21s so Conor Doyle will see how bright the future is for the young Irish! Defeat in Cyprus would surely see Doyle choose the US.

Chicago AOH
29/01/2011, 1:14 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bob Bradley calls him up to the senior team for the Egypt friendly, on Feb 9th.

tricky_colour
29/01/2011, 4:30 PM
Egypt don't look too friendly at the moment :p

Crosby87
03/02/2011, 1:21 AM
If he spent his life growing up in Texas, I find it hard to believe he is going to declare for Ireland. Still, the allure of playing close to England travel wise and (technically the chance) of playing in Euro could get this cowboy hooked.

bwagner
09/02/2011, 9:59 AM
He starts on the bench for the game today @ 2:30

AlaskaFox
09/02/2011, 10:04 AM
If he spent his life growing up in Texas, I find it hard to believe he is going to declare for Ireland. Still, the allure of playing close to England travel wise and (technically the chance) of playing in Euro could get this cowboy hooked.

He'd get more attention playing for Ireland than the US though. Like Stephen Ireland's comment about how it's a shop window.

IsMiseSean
08/04/2011, 3:01 PM
What's the story with this lad? Played in the Cyprus friendly, but didn't feature against Portugal. Is he going with the USA?

Stuttgart88
08/04/2011, 3:10 PM
I think I read in the build up to Portugal U21 that he is sticking with USA

Charlie Darwin
08/04/2011, 5:24 PM
He's going to the U20 World Cup with the US but he was always going to do that. Presumably he'll make his choice later.

Metrostars
08/04/2011, 6:18 PM
The US lost 2-1 to Guatemala the other night so they are not going to the U-20 WC. Bit of a shock result. Actually Doyle scored their goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_cPnZMkqDk

Charlie Darwin
08/04/2011, 6:23 PM
Oh really? That squad was supposed to be really well-fancied.

Metrostars
08/04/2011, 6:27 PM
Oh really? That squad was supposed to be really well-fancied.

Yes the US U-21s were supposed to be a good group. The qualifying tournament was held in Guatemala. US teams (as most countries would) struggle when playing in Central America. A very hostile environment.

irishultra
08/04/2011, 7:10 PM
ye just kids and guatamala is a tough place to go for even the usmnt. scraped by 1-0 in wc qualification, still tho kind of a setback. any chance doyle could get a call up for the gold cup i wonder? most likely not but mayb

cclinton
20/05/2011, 3:48 PM
Doyle played two friendlies with USA U20 team (3-3 tie and a 2-1 loss) vs the French U20's in France this week. Scored a goal in each game.