PDA

View Full Version : Gormley Resigns as Bray Manager

Doomofman
09/08/2010, 4:24 PM
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4072/

Mon, Aug 09 2010
Bray Wanderers have announced that Eddie Gormley has decided to resign as manager of the club.

The brief statement released from the club goes on to say:

Bray Wanderers would like to place on record their appreciation of the work and commitment that Eddie Gormley gave to the club,and the club would like to thank Eddie for his efforts both as a player and manager with Bray Wanderers. We would like to wish Eddie well in his future career.

Extratime will bring you more on this story as we get it....

superfrank
09/08/2010, 4:39 PM
Surprised it took so long to be honest.

He'll be like Roddy now, saying he was never relegated as a manager.

osarusan
09/08/2010, 4:59 PM
I wish him well. I don't know how well he did at Bray, but he didn't have much help in his preparation this season, and I think the club hasn't much funds for him to work with either (might be wrong though).

Lim till i die
09/08/2010, 5:12 PM
Martin O'Neill resigns as Villa boss. (http://sport.stv.tv/football/190840-martin-oneill-resigns-as-aston-villa-manager/)

Coincidence??? http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o78/mcneca/Smilies/18.gif

superfrank
09/08/2010, 5:22 PM
His first season, he saved us from near-certain relegation. Dublin City going bust helped us out there. Second season, we finished ninth. Third season, we finished sixth (our highest since promotion in 2005, second-highest finish ever, afaik).

Between the end of the 2008 and the beginning of the 2009 season, we lost a lot of squad players as we didn't have the money to afford them. In 2009, we struggled and were lucky that both Derry and Cork went bust in the same season.

With all the nonsense before the start of the season, we were preparing for the First and we lost our better players (McCabe, Skippy, Foran, Mulcahy, Pender). We didn't have the money to sign big. It looked like we were going to focus on youth in the First and rebuild from there. Then, last minute, we were bumped up into the Premier and we didn't have time to sign anyone decent. The players that were available (arguably) would have been snapped up by others if they were up to the Premier.

Of course, we struggled in the first half of the season. I wasn't here so can't comment on the performances but the table doesn't lie. We signed some experienced players and they came in but results haven't improved. Since I've been back in Ireland and seen them play, I can only recall one performance by Bray that I remember being worse than any I've seen this year (which, funnily enough, was also under Eddie, a 3-1 defeat at home to Longford in 2007). Also, Devo has returned to the club in some sort of advisory role and, I've been told, there's been an improvement since before Devo returned.

The cup final was an atrocious performance. The players all looked disinterested and seemed to be merely going through the motions. The game against Sligo can be seen from two ways: either Eddie made a mistake when they went down to ten (switching to 3-5-2, which didn't make much difference) or Cook made a genius decision (two subs, Boco and Blinkhorn, both scored) at 1-1 and saved the game for them.

The fans seem to expect him to be doing better with the squad we have. Personally, I don't. I don't think there is much more that can be done with this side. But I'm willing to reserve judgement til we see how the new manager does between now and the end of the season which is 12 more games, afaik.

For me, Eddie did a decent job. We weren't great but we weren't bad. We always upped our game against the bigger sides (first team to beat Rovers in Tallght, beat Bohs in Dalyer when they could've won the title, iirc) while we always struggled against sides closer to our level (our bad run against UCD this year). He'll be remembered for falling out with a lot of players and forcing them out of the club. To me, the only of those players I'd want back is Mark Duggan. He was amazing for us.

If you look at his record, when he had the resources (2007/2008), we did comparatively well. We did play good football. When his hands were tied (2009) and with all the crap this year, he struggled, as I imagine most managers would. The team have played poorly in what I've seen this year and I can't say the manager can't be blamed but I think some Bray fans blame him too much for our current plight.

poster
09/08/2010, 5:42 PM
Tuned into RTE R1 to listen to the LoI show, is it still on?

juan
09/08/2010, 6:50 PM
Roddy for Bray!:think:

D.24saint
09/08/2010, 7:33 PM
Feel sorry for Eddie he comes across as a very honest type ,It was always going to be a big ask to keep Bray up this season.The only thing that is surprising is the timing having brought players like Gary Dempsey in it seems a strange time to call it a day.

tippex
09/08/2010, 7:54 PM
Roddy for Bray!:think:

Don't even go there......

tippex
09/08/2010, 8:50 PM
Just wanted to say.

Eddie eventhough it was the right thing to do and things havent panned out the way we all wanted them to. Thanks for everything you gave to the club great memories of that left peg.....

superjohnny
09/08/2010, 9:01 PM
Just wanted to say.

Eddie eventhough it was the right thing to do and things havent panned out the way we all wanted them to. Thanks for everything you gave to the club great memories of that left peg.....

Echo all of that tippex.

I know some ppl were getting frustrated with him but he is an absoloute gent and a great football man..

All the best eddie thanks for everything

sligoman
09/08/2010, 9:01 PM
That's the 2nd manager to resign after losing to us this season

peadar1987
10/08/2010, 7:19 AM
Eddie's previous performances show he's a very talented manager, and could well make it at another club, but to use the cliché, at Bray he seemed to have lost the dressing room, and no matter how talented a manager you are, it's hard to bounce back from that. Thanks for all you've done for the club, Eddie, and I hope to see you back in management soon.

rocket
10/08/2010, 2:59 PM
Given the circumstances the club found themselves in at the start of the season i dont think any manager in the league could have done much more with the squad of players Eddie had. He gave a really difficult job his best shot, i thank him for all his hard work and wish him well for the future.

passerrby
10/08/2010, 3:38 PM
That's the 2nd manager to resign after losing to us this season

ya we had the same effect on a lot of clubs .i wonder is sligo the new monaghan

Duggie
10/08/2010, 3:43 PM
Martin O'Neill resigns as Villa boss. (http://sport.stv.tv/football/190840-martin-oneill-resigns-as-aston-villa-manager/)

Coincidence??? http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o78/mcneca/Smilies/18.gif

haha.....depends on his demands

superreds
11/08/2010, 3:58 AM
What sort of money would a manager in the top division be on these days? Say Pete Mahon at Pats or Eddie? any idea?

Sam_Heggy
11/08/2010, 7:09 AM
What sort of money would a manager in the top division be on these days? Say Pete Mahon at Pats or Eddie? any idea?

At least 3 million a year, easily.

SupaJon
11/08/2010, 9:10 AM
At least 3 million a year, easily.

*Sends off CV to Bray Wanderers with screenshots from Football Manager of how I guided Bray to the Champions League final.

Sam_Heggy
11/08/2010, 10:06 AM
*Sends off CV to Bray Wanderers with screenshots from Football Manager of how I guided Bray to the Champions League final.

Sorry, I hear Mourinhio is on his way over following a serverance package being agreed between Real Madrid and Bray. It involves something about Real Madrid getting to play against a LOI select in Landsdown, something about boosting their confidence going into the season by playing in front of so many of their own adoring fans.

Dodge
11/08/2010, 10:13 AM

Pete gets paid per use of the phrase "hard working lads" on MNS.

Bloke is a millionaire

peadar1987
11/08/2010, 12:35 PM

Bray won't be interested in a flash in the pan European campaign. They want stability. The sort of stability my 5 back to back titles (and counting) would give them! ;)

ndrog
11/08/2010, 12:40 PM
I for one am hoping that eddies resignation dosent signal some sort of revival for Bray .They are our only hope of avoiding the automatic drop .