PDA

View Full Version : Eircom end sponsorship of national team...

Pages : [1] 2

Pauro 76
04/08/2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/eircom-ends-sponsorship-of-irish-soccer-467959.html#ixzz0vdTfHayx

Good news. Does this mean we can now buy jerseys without the sponsor? Will Aviva be new shirt sponsors? Or knowing Delaney, he'll probably bring in Air France.

shakermaker1982
04/08/2010, 12:29 PM
So my new shirt is out of date already?

Stuttgart88
04/08/2010, 12:30 PM
Given that Dutch fans wearing apparel sporting the logo of a non-official sponsor (Bavaria Lager?) got ejected from a stadium at the World Cup for breaking the strict ambush marketing prevention rules, I wonder would Irish fans run the same risk if they wore their eircom jerseys, or jerseys with a new sponsor's logo, to a FIFA or UEFA event.

I heard 3 Mobile were in the running.

Lionel Ritchie
04/08/2010, 12:39 PM
An excellent opportunity for the FAI to have contracts redrafted which facilitate the sale of sponsorless replica shirts (I'd pay extra for one) and an outright ban on them appearing on kids and junior jerseys. will they? They will in their hole.

shakermaker1982
04/08/2010, 1:22 PM
Given that Dutch fans wearing apparel sporting the logo of a non-official sponsor (Bavaria Lager?) got ejected from a stadium at the World Cup for breaking the strict ambush marketing prevention rules, I wonder would Irish fans run the same risk if they wore their eircom jerseys, or jerseys with a new sponsor's logo, to a FIFA or UEFA event.

I heard 3 Mobile were in the running.

If 3 mobile do get it then I urge supporters to NEVER EVER take out a contract with this company. No matter what they offer Irish supporters.

jbyrne
04/08/2010, 3:39 PM
An excellent opportunity for the FAI to have contracts redrafted which facilitate the sale of sponsorless replica shirts (I'd pay extra for one) and an outright ban on them appearing on kids and junior jerseys. will they? They will in their hole.

like this is such an important issue and all

John83
04/08/2010, 3:44 PM
I've never bought an Ireland jersey for that reason. I'm far from alone - threads here on the topic have brought out some fairly rabid opposition to the giant Eircom stain on the jersey.

OwlsFan
04/08/2010, 4:36 PM
So do people think that there should be no sponsor ? Amazing!! Is there any other country or club jersey in Europe that doesn't show a sponsor. I know Wednesday advertised a children's hospital for no cost but I think that was because no one wanted to sponsor them!

pineapple stu
04/08/2010, 4:52 PM
International matches never carry shirt sponsors, as far as I can see. Don't know why.

And nobody's said there shouldn't be a sponsor. Just that they'd prefer the jersey without a big orange blob.

Razors left peg
04/08/2010, 5:26 PM
We are the only country Ive ever seen that has a shirt sponsor

Seen a brief interview with Delaney on the news earlier where he said that the is gonna be a very big announcement tomorrow that will allow for big investment in grass roots football. He was tryin to be secretive but after seeing this thread its obviously gonna be a new shirt sponsor announcement.

What Stutts said about the Bavaria thing at the world cup is a very valid point, one I doubt anyone in the FAI has considered

DannyInvincible
04/08/2010, 5:38 PM

It is an important issue. It's to take a principled stand against the whoring out of football to corporations and multinationals more interested in profiteering from the game and its fans than the game itself. As it is, we're one of the few, if not the only, countries in world football who feature an ugly corporate blob across the front of our replica jerseys. In supporting our team we are (or were) being used as advertising mascots to promote Eircom. The idea of acting as a human advertising post for Eircom sickens me. I once suffered working for them when I lived in Dublin - feeling more sympathy for most customers' issues I encountered than possessing any wish to defend the company's policies - and have also had the misfortune of having to deal with them as a customer myself. Furthermore, with Eircom pulling out now, a few months after the newest jersey featuring an Eircom logo has been released and purchased by fans up and down the country, fans have a right to feel ripped off. That jersey is now out of date but Eircom still benefit as there will undoubtedly be plenty of fans who will continue wearing it as they just don't have the money to go replacing their jersey. The Eircom one was already expensive enough! Certainly, demanding replica jerseys without this feature isn't going to rock the world of football as business to its core, but it has to count for something.

In the meantime, I wonder will stores still sell jerseys brandishing the Eircom logo or will a set of logo-less jerseys be released until some new sponsor comes in and its logo inevitably takes the place of Eircom's on our national jersey.

Lionel Ritchie
04/08/2010, 5:42 PM
So do people think that there should be no sponsor ? Amazing!!!

I don't have a problem with there being an official team sponsor. I have a problem with supporters being coralled and shoehorned into a jersey with an ad on it. When England, with a larger support base than us, were sponsored by Green Flag and whoever more recently -their supporters only had to put up with logos on training gear, rainwear etc ...not on the replica jerseys themselves. When NI, with a smaller support base than us, were sponsored by Nationwide (think that deals just expired) their support were able to buy replica shirts with no logo. We're the odd one out here.

Is there any other country or club jersey in Europe that doesn't show a sponsor! There's probably still about 50 countries in Europe. Again we're the odd one out here. Unless someone has made a deal similar to ours in recent years -then our glorious FAI are still the only UEFA country that will not allow it's teams supporters buy ad free replica jerseys. It's different for clubs -they've wages, transfer fees and recieve relatively little by way of state support.

DannyInvincible
04/08/2010, 5:45 PM
My above post isn't an argument against sponsorship, by the way. Sponsorship is a reality - maybe an ugly one for some, I dunno - in modern football that we have to accept, but we still remain one of the only countries worldwide whose fans are being used to promote a corporate identity by purchasing our team's replica jerseys.

tricky_colour
04/08/2010, 5:48 PM
I've never bought an Ireland jersey for that reason. I'm far from alone - threads here on the topic have brought out some fairly rabid opposition to the giant Eircom stain on the jersey.

I don't understand why Eircom never changed their logo to something easier on the eye.

DannyInvincible
04/08/2010, 5:52 PM
I don't understand why Eircom never changed their logo to something easier on the eye.

That's to miss the point. Nothing to do with aesthetics. Although it is still pretty ugly, in fairness. ;)

Charlie Darwin
04/08/2010, 11:54 PM
I think it makes good business sense for the FAI. I don't really care about whether I'm pimping a corporation or not.

irishfan86
05/08/2010, 6:28 AM
If the jersey looks uglier, and as a result there is more money to pump into facilities and developing grass roots football, I'm fine with that.

The FAI doesn't have the same resources as other nations and I think anything that can bring in more funds is a practical move.

Kingdom
05/08/2010, 6:48 AM
Those that are ambivalent about having a sponsor on "replica" jerseys are missing the point. We're the only country I've seen whose supporters cannot buy the same jersey that the players representing the National team wear. It's that simple.

jbyrne
05/08/2010, 7:35 AM
Those that are ambivalent about having a sponsor on "replica" jerseys are missing the point. We're the only country I've seen whose supporters cannot buy the same jersey that the players representing the National team wear. It's that simple.

such shirts were recently available in the FAI shop.
maybe other countries are missing out on potential sponsorship that we are cashing in on?
we are a small football nation with big demands from our supporters with regards qualification etc. have to fund this demand some way.
would rather not have the sponsorship on the shirt but if the money we get increases our chances of qualification by even 1% its worth it

OwlsFan
05/08/2010, 7:48 AM

IS that not being a bit precious? Never bothered me and I've been buy jerseys for years. That said, my favourite is my retro jersey

Lionel Ritchie
05/08/2010, 8:36 AM
such shirts were recently available in the FAI shop.
maybe other countries are missing out on potential sponsorship that we are cashing in on?
we are a small football nation with big demands from our supporters with regards qualification etc. have to fund this demand some way.
would rather not have the sponsorship on the shirt but if the money we get increases our chances of qualification by even 1% its worth it

Those shirts, likely a handful, were an end of campaign clear out. Probably an ex-stock clearance of unused shirts manufactured for players themselves. Nice to have for sure and a good way for the FAI to get back a few bucks for dead rubber -but they'd have been out of date in weeks as the new shirt was coming out.

I'm not against sponsorship altogether -I'm against it's exclusivity whereby ALL replica gear has to bear the sponsors logo. For less money from their sponsor they could have a no-logo replica shirt a few bucks dearer than the ad stained one to give supporters a choice. Then those of us who haven't bought an Ireland jersey in a long time would be giving some money to the FAI rather than Toffs.

jbyrne
05/08/2010, 8:42 AM
Those shirts, likely a handful, were an end of campaign clear out. Probably an ex-stock clearance of unused shirts manufactured for players themselves. Nice to have for sure and a good way for the FAI to get back a few bucks for dead rubber -but they'd have been out of date in weeks as the new shirt was coming out.

no, was the new shirt without sponsorship on it

Kingdom
05/08/2010, 10:01 AM
IS that not being a bit precious? Never bothered me and I've been buy jerseys for years. That said, my favourite is my retro jersey

Yeah maybe it is being a bit precious OF, I mean I don't wear my jersey anywhere other than an Ireland match, but I personally find it annoying paying the same price for an Ireland jersey as others do for an England, Brazil, Liverpool, Bohs jersey, when mine isn't a replica. False advertising perhaps.

That said I did get a logoless one a few months back, and was delighted with it. I don't feel the need to buy a new jersey just because it's out.

Seamuslawless
05/08/2010, 12:34 PM
Looks like it is definitely 3 Mobile - €7.5m over four years apparently. http://yfrog.com/ne8fuj

Hibs4Ever
05/08/2010, 2:10 PM
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/08/05/fai-go-mobile-confirming-3-as-its-new-sponsor/

Duggie
05/08/2010, 2:25 PM
i never cared eircom was on the shirts, i have 2. this looks worse IMO. i havent got this new jersey as of yet anyway, dont like it and hate the material.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/static/images/2010/0805/1224276271214_1.jpg

Seamuslawless
05/08/2010, 2:28 PM
I can't believe they put the Eircom branded shirts on sale (or left them on sale) once it became known that the sponsor was changing. They have to have known this for a while, there is no way in the world a new deal with 3 was just arranged overnight.

Duggie
05/08/2010, 2:31 PM
there is no way in the world a new deal with 3 was just arranged overnight.

well 3 is the magic number...maybe it was

Charlie Darwin
05/08/2010, 2:48 PM
Just pretend you're playing left back.

amaccann
05/08/2010, 3:38 PM
Hmm, looking at the images that came with the RTE report: two generic glamour models pose with rictus smiles, as suited executives embarrass themselves in fake, "jolly" poses (in this case, attempting to juggle a football).

Yup, it's an Irish marketing photo-shoot, no mistake there.

SkStu
05/08/2010, 4:12 PM
Heresy amaccann!!!

Georgia Salpa is anything but generic!

Closed Account 2
05/08/2010, 4:24 PM
I can't believe they put the Eircom branded shirts on sale (or left them on sale) once it became known that the sponsor was changing. They have to have known this for a while, there is no way in the world a new deal with 3 was just arranged overnight.

This actually happened when eircom first came on board as a sponsor. It's was OPEL (cars) before and the sponsor change happend in the middle of a shirt life-cycle. It was the home shirt from around 2000, it was the strange shirt that was made of felt (like a carpet or a fleece) and there ended up being 2 versions, one with Opel and one with Eircom on it. I've got the Opel one somewhere at home, I'd prefer a sponsorless shirt and I'll try and buy one from the FAI shop next month.

gael353
05/08/2010, 4:58 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/static/images/2010/0805/1224276271214_1.jpg

theres not one thing irish in that photo, the manager, models (greek and eastern european) jersey (made in saud arabia) sponsor is japanese.

i wont be buying one as Lional Richie said, the only international jersey where u have to buy it with a sponsor on it.

Charlie Darwin
05/08/2010, 5:34 PM
You forgot the football - that was made in China or Bangladesh or the moon or something. Models are Irish too but don't let that stop you.

gael353
05/08/2010, 11:20 PM
there as irish as Tony Cascarino. Just on that now lads, Three are run by the same guy who runs the star newspaper so will this mean that the star will never be critical of the FAI again?

tetsujin1979
06/08/2010, 12:40 AM
there as irish as Tony Cascarino. Just on that now lads, Three are run by the same guy who runs the star newspaper so will this mean that the star will never be critical of the FAI again?
Georgia Salpa was definitely born in Ireland. Dunno who the other girl is

irishfan86
06/08/2010, 12:55 AM
Good thing the "3" won't be used (I assume) on the actual match jerseys, or that could lead to some officiating blunders!

"And he's giving John O'Shea a yellow....NOW HE'S PULLING OUT A RED!"

Charlie Darwin
06/08/2010, 1:12 AM
Georgia Salpa was definitely born in Ireland. Dunno who the other girl is
Sara Kavanagh - obviously Russian.

irishfan86
06/08/2010, 2:22 AM
If they don't have red hair, they're not Irish.

jbyrne
06/08/2010, 7:27 AM
theres not one thing irish in that photo

the stadium??

Fizzer
06/08/2010, 8:40 AM
There's an Umbro logo on the jersey as well. Any problems with that?

amaccann
06/08/2010, 12:14 PM
Heresy amaccann!!!

Georgia Salpa is anything but generic!

A Google Image search later and yes, by god she is hot stuff - Irish and Mediterranean, what a combination; but there's something so nauseating about those bloody photo-shoots with gurning politicians / executives, flanked by some rent-a-model(s) grinning for the camera as they pose with a football kit / oversized cheque / whatever

Lionel Ritchie
06/08/2010, 12:39 PM
There's an Umbro logo on the jersey as well. Any problems with that?

About as much of a problem as I have with the ford logo on the front of my focus*.

Now if ford wanted to stick an ad for a third party on the bonnet ...that'd be a different matter.

*incidently I do have a problem of sorts with the ford logo on the front of my focus. It's actually a twistable lid revealing the keyhole for the bonnet. However it is not impervious to the weather, the barrel has rusted to f*&^ and ford, in their wisdom, didn't put an auxiliary bonnet release on the dash or under the steering column.

Closed Account 2
06/08/2010, 1:40 PM
the "3" might be easier to peel / steam off than "eircom"...

Kingdom
06/08/2010, 2:08 PM
About as much of a problem as I have with the ford logo on the front of my focus*.

Now if ford wanted to stick an ad for a third party on the bonnet ...that'd be a different matter.

*incidently I do have a problem of sorts with the ford logo on the front of my focus. It's actually a twistable lid revealing the keyhole for the bonnet. However it is not impervious to the weather, the barrel has rusted to f*&^ and ford, in their wisdom, didn't put an auxiliary bonnet release on the dash or under the steering column.

Same here, it's a **** of a thing.

ArdeeBhoy
06/08/2010, 2:59 PM
Just get them sponsored by Guinness. End Of.

Anyway unless you're a schoolboy or playing a game, why would anyone want to wear a soccer jersey, generally they're horrible things to wear!

And speak as somebody with about 6 old ones;won't be buying anymore! The vintage style ones or trackie and training tops are generally OK, albeit still a rip-off.

Lionel Ritchie
06/08/2010, 3:59 PM
Same here, it's a **** of a thing.

You can actually buy a "kit" to replace it. Works out cheapest if you wait til the car's due a service (or is in for something more pressing) and get it done then. The kit's only 50 bucks but as always it's the labour that's a killer.

We now take you back to the topic...

Closed Account 2
06/09/2010, 2:33 PM
New away kit (alledgedly):

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/ireland-10-12-umbro-away-kit-a.jpg

tetsujin1979
06/09/2010, 3:08 PM
giant 3 aside, I quite like that

Sullivinho
06/09/2010, 3:29 PM
Pea soup stain aside, that's a nice piece of kit.