PDA

View Full Version : Aviva Stadium/Landsdowne Road Ownership.

Rasher
04/08/2010, 8:32 AM
Does anyone actually KNOW who exactly owns the new stadium and if there is any time limit on the ownership?

ArdeeBhoy
04/08/2010, 8:53 AM
Why???

Kingdom
04/08/2010, 9:01 AM
It's jointly owned by the IRFU and the FAI, with the Rugby fellas the majority owners. The FAI's share runs out in 50 years or something like that.

Rasher
04/08/2010, 9:34 AM
Why???

Because the rumour persists that the current arrangement expires after 50 years and ownership reverts to the IRFU. This all seems to stem from a single line written by Vincent Hogan last April (http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/vincent-hogan/vincent-hogan-aviva-the-most-expensive-second-home-in-history-2143079.html)
This just seems a bit implausable to be honest, but if it's true, why is it a secret known only to Vincent?

gspain
04/08/2010, 9:48 AM
My understanding is that the IRFU and the FAI jointly own the stadium but the IRFU own the land.

Dodge
04/08/2010, 9:51 AM
My understanding is that the IRFU and the FAI jointly own the stadium but the IRFU own the land.

To be technically correct I think they jointly own (as in completely 50/50) the company that owns the stadium (formerly "The Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company")

janeymac
04/08/2010, 11:24 AM
The Stadium Company pay the IRFU something like €1m a year ground rent. So, as pointed out above, the IRFU own the land and what is built on it is 50/50. The IRFU have a similar arrangement for Thomond Park - its owned by a Stadium Company (50% IRFU/50% Munster branch). The Munster Branch have a €10m interest free loan from the IRFU though, which they have to pay back within 10 years when the Munster Branch will then own the stadium.