Conor Hourihane - Ipswich Town

Cillian Sheridan - Celtic
Anthony Stokes - Hibernian
Aaron Doran - Blackburn Rovers
Joe Mason - Plymouth Argyle

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0728/king_u21.html

bwagner
28/07/2010, 2:48 PM
I wonder why Conor Henderson from Arsenal didnt make it.

greendeiseboy
28/07/2010, 3:42 PM
I wonder why Conor Henderson from Arsenal didnt make it.

Was wondering the same thing!

Razors left peg
28/07/2010, 4:05 PM
pretty strong squad on paper, lets hope King can make them play for him

ifk101
28/07/2010, 6:05 PM
No LOI players?

King OUT!

Sullivinho
29/07/2010, 1:20 AM
Strong looking squad, not least in midfield.

geysir
10/08/2010, 6:27 PM
Game on this evening in Tallah. Wouldn't mind watching it but there are no links up. We should win, shouldn't we?

Razors left peg
10/08/2010, 7:01 PM
http://en.uefa.com/under21/matches/season=2011/live/day=39/session=1/match=2000123/matchcenterlight/index.html

just lookin at the starting line up there I wouldnt be too unhappy to see that line up for the senior team tomorrow night. I think its a very strong team

Closed Account
10/08/2010, 7:23 PM
Ya good move by King getting his strongest possible team for his first game.
By my reckoning
Henderson
Coleman
Nolan
Garvan
Gleeson
Stokes
are all overage after the Switzerland and Turkey games but why not play them now. I'd of certainly gone to that game tonight had I lived in Dublin.

tricky_colour
10/08/2010, 7:29 PM
Game on this evening in Tallah. Wouldn't mind watching it but there are no links up. We should win, shouldn't we?

Can't find any links for it unfortunately, not really a big enough game for TV coverage for u21 I suppose.

Anyway 2:0 up at half time which is OK, however such things have a tenancy to go pear shaped when even I make a
forum post it. So no big surprise if Estonia bang in 3 right after half time!
Both Stokes one a penalty would be nice if they could make it a decent win 3 or 4 nil.

Charlie Darwin
10/08/2010, 7:48 PM
Is this the most Ireland have scored in an U-21 game since before Givens took over? 2 goals... I feel dizzy.

greendeiseboy
10/08/2010, 7:51 PM
Is this the most Ireland have scored in an U-21 game since before Givens took over? 2 goals... I feel dizzy.

Better lie down quick boi - 3-0 James Mc Carthy

tricky_colour
10/08/2010, 7:52 PM
3-0 McCarthy (62)

Razors left peg
10/08/2010, 7:56 PM
I take back all my criticism of Kings appointment :D

geysir
10/08/2010, 7:59 PM
Unfortunate for Estonia that there were a few ghosts for our team to lay, with urgency.

greendeiseboy
10/08/2010, 8:17 PM
4-0 Hourihane

greendeiseboy
10/08/2010, 8:19 PM
5 Garvan

Closed Account
10/08/2010, 8:20 PM
And 5-0 Garvan. Anyone know what the formation was as we didn't start with any obvious wingers?

Brendan 82
10/08/2010, 8:41 PM
Don't get too excited lads. Remember that at this level it is all about bringing players through to the senior team, not results :rolleyes:

Adios Don

Lionel Ritchie
10/08/2010, 8:44 PM
It's not about results at this level :-D

amaccann
10/08/2010, 8:47 PM
Don't get too excited lads. Remember that at this level it is all about bringing players through to the senior team, not results :rolleyes:

Adios Don

I don't agree with that, winning is a good habit to get into and if these lads get into that habit & find playing for their country rewarding (unlike some who found playing under Givens a pain), then down the line we'll reap the rewards when they push on to the senior team. At this stage it's all about exposure

Sullivinho
10/08/2010, 8:50 PM
Don Givens should be fired more often!

DannyInvincible
10/08/2010, 9:12 PM
I don't agree with that, winning is a good habit to get into and if these lads get into that habit & find playing for their country rewarding (unlike some who found playing under Givens a pain), then down the line we'll reap the rewards when they push on to the senior team. At this stage it's all about exposure

I think he was making a sarcastic reference to Givens' old mantra, defeat after defeat. ;)

EastTerracer
10/08/2010, 9:23 PM
Just back from the game in Tallaght - such a change from the Armenia defeat in March. Sheridan played as the central target man with Stokes and Conor Clifford supporting him from the left and right. McCarthy was outstanding and seemed to be at the centre of most of Ireland's best passing moves. I do think his presence also took some pressure off Garvan who also had a good game.

Stokes' opening goal was very well taken when he cut inside his defender having received the ball from a McCarthy cross and curled a right-footed shot past the goalkeeper. He then won a penalty which he converted himself with a very cheeky chip (reminiscent of Abreu for Uruguay a few weeks back). Stokes returned the favour for McCarthy in the second half when he cut the ball back perfectly from the touchline to allow McCarthy a simple finish.

There was a hint of fortune about the fourth goal when Seamus Coleman's long-range shot was deflected past the goalkeeper. I thought it had taken a touch off an offside Irish player but I wasn't at the best angle to see. Coleman was given the goal and it was his last touch as he was substituted before the restart. Stokes was involved again for the last goal as he cut the ball back for Garvan to finish. A very comfortable performance with some excellent passing moves.

Cillian Sheridan worked hard but his touch can be very heavy at times. Hopefully he will improve in Bulgaria or he won't get too much of a look-in for CSKA (their fans are not the most patient). I know he is on standby if Doyle isn't fit for the seniors tomorrow but on tonight's display I'd prefer to see Stokes get a run. Also, James McCarthy needs to be brought back into the Senior panel for the qualification games in September - he is too good not to be in contention.

Noel King would not have been my first choice for the U-21 job but based on tonight's match he definitely deserves some time to see if he can maintain this level of performance against stronger teams than Estonia.

amaccann
10/08/2010, 9:26 PM
I think he was making a sarcastic reference to Givens' old mantra, defeat after defeat. ;)

Yeah, just twigged that before I read your own reply. Ha, ahem yes, I r an idiot :)

Anyone know if any cameras were at this? I'll keep an eye on the late-night RTE news in case there's any highlights of the game ...

EastTerracer
10/08/2010, 9:28 PM
Anyone know if any cameras were at this? I'll keep an eye on the late-night RTE news in case there's any highlights of the game ...

There was definitely a camera at the game but I'm not sure if it was RTE's or the FAI's.

stiffler
10/08/2010, 9:37 PM
Great result, very promising start to the King reign

passinginterest
10/08/2010, 9:46 PM
Really impressive display in front of a crowd of 3010 in Tallaght. The team played an unusual formation but every player seemed to understand their role and the work rate from all of them was excellent. Basically think the exact opposite of what it was like under Givens, you could see the confidence visibly flowing into player like McCarthy and Clifford who got better and better as the game went on and Stokes was showboating like Ronaldo, his turn for the 4th goal probably the highlight. It'll be very interesting to see how they get on once the bigger names are overage or back in the senior squad, but it looks like whatever team King puts on the field will be very well drilled and allowed to express themselves creatively and for me anyway that's the key at this level.

MariborKev
10/08/2010, 10:01 PM
ET, was the Coleman goal not a shot from Garvan than deflected off Coleman last?

The fifth goal was superb stuff. Great night out.

EastTerracer
10/08/2010, 10:05 PM
ET, was the Coleman goal not a shot from Garvan than deflected off Coleman last?

I didn't have the best view so I will bow to your superior recollection. I know they gave the goal to Coleman but I mistakenly thought he had taken the initial shot and they didn't count the deflection (was he offside?).

MariborKev
10/08/2010, 10:07 PM
Coleman was in the penalty box and stuck out the foot which wrongfooted the keeper. Stokes, who was behind him was deffo offside but I assume they ruled he wasn't interfering.

EDIT: Reading the updates on ET, I may have been completely wrong and you could be spot on.

passinginterest
10/08/2010, 10:09 PM

That's what I thought too, Coleman had made a run into the box and lost possession it came back out to Garvan, his shot was deflected in by Coleman who looked well offside as he loitered around the penalty spot.

MariborKev
10/08/2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks PI, thought I was going mental there!

passinginterest
10/08/2010, 10:22 PM
I was having a few doubts myself when I read the Extratime report, but he managed to be 1,000 out with the attendance too so he obviously wasn't paying much attention :)

Ceirtlis
10/08/2010, 10:39 PM
Estonia were a bit unlucky to be hit for 5 in fairness, had a few chances at the start of each half. Couldnt handle Stokes though who scored two and played a large part in two others.

Hooperman was also in attendance. He was signing autographs for most of the second half. Has there ever been a more popular mascot? Even oul fellas are getting exciting at seeing him.

geysir
10/08/2010, 10:48 PM
Hooperman was also in attendance. He was signing autographs for most of the second half. Has there ever been a more popular mascot? Even oul fellas are getting exciting at seeing him.

This fella?
http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/images/mascots/hooperman-front.jpg

passinginterest
10/08/2010, 10:53 PM
That's the man Geysir, incredibly popular with all bar the Bohs fans and the Gardai who gave him a stern warning for winding them up on Sunday. Who'd have thought the child that came up with the idea was a marketing genius?

gastric
10/08/2010, 11:05 PM
Old news I know, but Henderson is carrying injury and that is why he missed out on many of the pre season games for Arsenal.

geysir
10/08/2010, 11:06 PM
Looks like the days of Diamond Dan, the Orange Order's superhero, are numbered.
Hooperman will turn him into orange crush.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00025/diamond_dan_25594c.jpg

tricky_colour
11/08/2010, 5:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEIBqOh5ic

Stokes Penalty - almost over the top!!

jbyrne
11/08/2010, 7:10 AM
That's what I thought too, Coleman had made a run into the box and lost possession it came back out to Garvan, his shot was deflected in by Coleman who looked well offside as he loitered around the penalty spot.

the goals were shown on TV3 this morning and thats how it looked ok

elroy
11/08/2010, 9:02 AM
Was King still adopting the 4 -3 -3 formation??

tetsujin1979
11/08/2010, 9:09 AM
Was King still adopting the 4 -3 -3 formation??
yeah, it was a 4-5-1 with Stokes playing an inside-left role. Clifford was on the right, wearing number 10. He was playing in front of where I was sitting in the second half. I didn't realise it before but he's actually tiny, the jersey seemed too big for him a few times!

Stuttgart88
11/08/2010, 9:14 AM
Long live the King.

passinginterest
11/08/2010, 9:16 AM
It was an interesting shape with Clifford tending to tuck in and Stokes and McCarthy pushing up beside Sheridan for the goal kicks and Stokes playing a good bit further forward than Clifford in general. As I was saying earlier despite there being quite an unconventional shape to the side all the players seemed to understand exactly what was expected of them and they worked hard all game. Clifford looked the fittest player on the pitch to me, he seems to have a great engine, he is very small though.

Coleman was a bit underwhelming again, his passing was atrocious most of the time although he was defensively sound enough, maybe he doesn't like playing in Tallaght or nerves get to him playing for Ireland but that's 3 times I've seen him now and he's yet to be really impressive, maybe that's just my high expectations of him though.

tetsujin1979
11/08/2010, 12:38 PM
short interview with King after the game on rte.ie: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0811/soccer3_av.html
Stokes' penalty on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEIBqOh5ic

tetsujin1979
11/08/2010, 1:03 PM
my review of last night's game:

Noel King's first game in charge of the U21s will be remembered as a complete turnaround from the previous game at Tallaght Stadium at this level, a 2-1 loss to ten men Armenia was replaced by a 5-0 win over third placed Estonia. Anthony Stokes delivered an excellent performance throughout as an inside left, scoring twice in the opening half, and providing two assists in the second.

After an opening few minutes where Ireland struggled to retain possession, and goalkeeper Henderson was called on to make two smart saves, the team settled into control of the ball before the opening goal. A smart cut inside from Stokes made some space for a right footed shot beyond the keeper. The second goal came from the penalty spot, Stokes both winning and taking the spot kick. After drawing a tackle from the Estonian full back, the Hibernian striker chipped the ball straight down the middle of the goal and off the underside of the crossbar to double his tally for the night. I managed to get a quick snap of it on my phone here - https://sites.google.com/site/tetsujin1979/Home/StokesPenalty.JPG It's not great quality though, it was at the opposite side of the ground to me and the camera on my phone isn't the best

The midfield of McCarthy, Gleeson and Garvan controlled possesion well in the middle of the park, and linked up with Clifford on the right. The two goal cushion eliminated the earlier nerves, and with the pressure off the central defenders (Gunning and Kiernan) were confidant on the ball. The Estonain right winger had previously enjoyed some space between Clifford and Coleman at right full, but with this space eliminated, his threat was removed. While some of the play was excellent to watch, the opening goal laid the plan for a lot of Stokes' play, despite several overlapping runs into space from full back Nolan, the simple out ball was ignored in favour of cutting inside again and again which was frustrating to watch when he lost possession. Also, a lot of the play from the Irish team seemed to be based around long balls from deep on the right to where Stokes was, playing as an old fashioned inside left.

The second half began in much the same fashion as the first, with Estonia looking to score before conceding possession and control to the Irish. Stokes was again involved in the best moves of the half, and showed some excellent hold up play to set up McCarthy for the third of the night, and the young Wigan midfielder's first at this level for his country.

Stokes was unlucky not to complete a deserved hat trick, a header from Garvan's free kick on the right going just over the crossbar. An audacious piece of skill from the forward led to the fourth goal. With his back to goal on the byline, he backheeled the ball through the full backs legs, before rounding the hapless defender, and collecting the ball to cross. The ball eventually fell to Owen Garvan outside the box, whose shot deflected off Seamus Coleman into the corner. The goal was awarded despite some (IMO legitimate) calls for offside against the Everton player who was withdrawn before the game restarted for Histon's Lanre Onyebanjo.

I've seen some criticism of Cillian Sheridan's play, but he was right in front of where I was sitting for the second half, and he never stopped running, dragging centre halves out of the penalty areas to create space for Stokes and McCarthy to run into. He didn't see a lot of the ball, but in my opinion the team wasn't set up for him to see much possession. He was clearly exhausted when withdrawn late on for Alan Judge, which allowed Stokes to play up front with Judge replacing him on the left.

The final goal was rifled in by Garvan from outside the area, following good work from Stokes again, receiving the ball and laying it off to the Crystal Palace midfielder in space.

The only real criticism (if you can call it that) was that it could have easily been 7 or more. Stokes, moreso in the first half, was wasteful in possession and Sheridan was never directly involved in play. However, when your biggest complaint is that the team didn't score enough goals you know it was a successful night.

passinginterest
11/08/2010, 1:45 PM
Nice report Tets but I think you have Gunning and Nolan mixed up, I thought Nolan was the captain, playing centre half, wearing number 5, and Gunning was the left back?

tetsujin1979
11/08/2010, 1:51 PM
might have done actually, I've never seen Gunning play left full, whereas Nolan is known to play there. I only just made kick off so I missed the team announcement