PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Argentina - Wednesday, 11th August 2010 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Closed Account
27/07/2010, 1:33 PM
Trapattoni will name his squad this afternoon.

Daniel McDonnell discusses it here in the Independent
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-facing-tough-calls-2273243.html

Joe Murphy will be in the squad
http://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/page/News/0,,10442~2103356,00.html

Closed Account
27/07/2010, 2:45 PM
St Ledger and Keith Treacy involved also
http://www.pnefc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10362~2103463,00.html
Eddie Nolan is in the U21 Squad
http://www.scunthorpe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=206230

Closed Account
27/07/2010, 3:33 PM
Squad:

Shay Given
Keiren Westwood
Joe Murphy

John O’Shea
Richard Dunne
Sean St Ledger
Greg Cunningham
Kevin Foley
Marc Wilson
Stephen Kelly
Paul McShane
Darren O’Dea
Kevin Kilbane

Keith Andrews
Glenn Whelan
Darron Gibson
Paul Green
Liam Lawrence
Aiden McGeady
Andy Keogh
Damien Duff
Keith Fahey
Keith Treacy

Cillian Sheridan
Robbie Keane
Kevin Doyle
Caleb Folan
Shane Long
Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/given-back-for-argentina-clash-467017.html#ixzz0utgzUaxU

pineapple stu
27/07/2010, 3:34 PM
Given? That's a bit optimistic!

Charlie Darwin
27/07/2010, 3:37 PM
That's a big squad. Can't see the point of having Given there.

gally
27/07/2010, 3:41 PM
No James McCarthy ???

Razors left peg
27/07/2010, 3:43 PM
Keith Treacy done anything to deserve a call up? Had forgotten about him to be honest

EastTerracer
27/07/2010, 3:55 PM
Leon Best seems to have dropped out of contention as well.

Razors left peg
27/07/2010, 4:00 PM
No James McCarthy ???
Hope hes not gonna be over looked for not going to the end of season training camp

Juanace
27/07/2010, 4:11 PM
Liam Lawrence injured I presume. Anyone know how long?

poster
27/07/2010, 4:14 PM
No Padraig Amond? The top scoring Irish person in the world today? Disgrace:mad:

Sullivinho
27/07/2010, 4:18 PM
Leon Best seems to have dropped out of contention as well.

Fear not, an able replacement presents itself in Caleb Folan ;)

Hope hes not gonna be over looked for not going to the end of season training camp

My thoughts exactly. Still, I'd expect him to impress again this season so he'll be back.

stiffler
27/07/2010, 4:46 PM
Good to see Wilson named in the squad! would love to see him get a run out

Scooby Doo
27/07/2010, 4:59 PM
Where is McCarthy?? Ah Trap, what's going on?? :mad: He's not injured is he? What about all these lads we were led to believe were sorting out their passports? Was Paul Green it??We need something extra than this, some new blood to take us one step further and qualify for the Euros.

elroy
27/07/2010, 5:02 PM
Presumably McCarthy is going to be involved with the U21s instead? Have checked around and there are no indications that hes out injured.

I know he got injured lately but looks like we shouldnt be expected A Reid back this campaign either.

irishultra
27/07/2010, 5:38 PM
probably one of the weakest ireland squads in recent memory

Keith Andrews-well below average
Glenn Whelan -well below average
Darron Gibson -bad
Paul Green -nobody cares
Liam Lawrence -decent
Aiden McGeady -decent
Andy Keogh -nobody cares
Damien Duff -good
Keith Fahey -dont no-somethin different anyway, more style than any1 else
Keith Treacy -terrible

Cillian Sheridan -no hoper
Robbie Keane -good
Kevin Doyle -good
Caleb Folan -no hoper
Shane Long -nobody cares

Stuttgart88
27/07/2010, 5:44 PM
If I was a psychiatrist I'd probably prescribe something to help alleviate your gloom.

Closed Account
27/07/2010, 5:49 PM
Presumably McCarthy is going to be involved with the U21s instead? Have checked around and there are no indications that hes out injured.

I know he got injured lately but looks like we shouldnt be expected A Reid back this campaign either.
Yes he's in the U21 squad with Cillian Sheridan but unlike Sheridan isn't joining the Senior squad for the game the next day.
Irish Times reckon it could have something to do with missing a training camp but sounds like idle speculation to me. I reckon its simply a case of the players ahead of him not doing anything to warrant being dropped and there is no need to name 6 Central midfielders in a friendly squad. Noel King will be glad to have him on board and its more beneficial to have our more promising players playing football, U21s or not, than sitting on the bench for the Seniors.

Its always the same when squads are named, people question the people who are missing rather than get behind the lads who got called up. Given, Dunne, Kilbane and McGeady had to come back into the squad so somebody was going to miss out. Several players are carrying knocks anyway(Wilson, McGeady, Keogh, Foley) and I'd be suprised if McCarthy wasn't included in the end or told he was on standby regardless.

Trap

We have a lot of options now, (Glenn) Whelan, (Darron) Gibson, (Keith) Andrews, but also Green and Fahey and we need to see them all play in the team," said Trapattoni. “We can follow McCarthy when he plays again the Premier League.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0727/1224275593952.html

TrapAPony
27/07/2010, 5:54 PM
Where is McCarthy?? Ah Trap, what's going on?? :mad: He's not injured is he? What about all these lads we were led to believe were sorting out their passports? Was Paul Green it??We need something extra than this, some new blood to take us one step further and qualify for the Euros.

I'm with this and would also like to ask where are the lads that were meant to be sorting out their passports? Also isn't it about time for Trap to call up Coleman too.

greendeiseboy
27/07/2010, 5:56 PM
Just seen Trapatonni's interview on 6 one news and was a bit surprised with his comments about McCarthy. Why does he want to monitor him over the next few weeks of the English season- surely a game like this would be ideal for the lad, even if he dosent play getting to know the rest of the squad and taking part in training sessions would be of benefit going forward.

The mind boggles when you see some of the others who have been called up.

Razors left peg
27/07/2010, 6:08 PM
I suppose we cant complain too much about lack of results at under 21 level and then argue that the better players are left out of the senior squad to play in a compeditive u21 game. McCarthy wont start the campaign ahead of Whelan or Andrews anyway so he will have other chances

backstothewall
27/07/2010, 6:14 PM
The choice of Given is telling. This isn't a friendly, its an opening party for Lansdowne. We are going to have all kinds of hangers on and dignitaries, and our best team is going to play for their entertainment.

I mean given our fixtures, I'm sure Trap would have been looking to play someone like Ukraine, and he wasn't likely to learn very much about McCarthy even if he started him in this game, as realistically we aren't likely to have much of the ball.

He may well have wanted to have had a look at Treacy in the flesh, and thats probably why he's there, but its only so Trap can see him train. I would very much doubt he will get on unless Duff and McGeady both get hurt.

Where is Hunt?

Stuttgart88
27/07/2010, 6:16 PM
I hear he was in Rosslare at the weekend. That's probably not what you meant though.

backstothewall
27/07/2010, 6:18 PM
I hear he was in Rosslare at the weekend. That's probably not what you meant though.

No, but what can I say. Ask a stupid question....

Sullivinho
27/07/2010, 6:19 PM
probably one of the weakest ireland squads in recent memory

Keith Andrews-well below average
Glenn Whelan -well below average
Darron Gibson -bad
Paul Green -nobody cares
Liam Lawrence -decent
Aiden McGeady -decent
Andy Keogh -nobody cares
Damien Duff -good
Keith Fahey -dont no-somethin different anyway, more style than any1 else
Keith Treacy -terrible

Cillian Sheridan -no hoper
Robbie Keane -good
Kevin Doyle -good
Caleb Folan -no hoper
Shane Long -nobody cares

Indeed, for the giant of world football that we are...this is unacceptable. Trap should immediately be relieved of duty for not calling up those great, full-of-hopers that we all care about.

Dodge
27/07/2010, 6:32 PM
lads, see 1 or 2 you mention the U21 squad, can I see the full squad anywhere?

tricky_colour
27/07/2010, 6:47 PM
I wonder if Maradona will get his cocaine through customs?

backstothewall
27/07/2010, 6:55 PM
Why bother. Its not like he's likely to struggle to get some here

irishultra
27/07/2010, 7:03 PM
Indeed, for the giant of world football that we are...this is unacceptable. Trap should immediately be relieved of duty for not calling up those great, full-of-hopers that we all care about.

there is few other options ur rite and thats the problem sadly. its sad seeing an irish squad contain players such as cillian sheridan, caleb folan and paul green.

Closed Account
27/07/2010, 7:18 PM
lads, see 1 or 2 you mention the U21 squad, can I see the full squad anywhere?
Hasn't been released yet (don't see why it wasn't named the same time as senior?)
But reports say that the following are included in the 18 man squad:

E Nolan(Scunthorpe)
J Mason(Plymouth)
C Sheridan(Celtic)
C Hourihane(Ipswich)
O Garvan(Ipswich)
J McCarthy(Wigan)
A Judge(Blackburn)

And Declan Walker (Wrexham) has been called up for the U19s

EastTerracer
27/07/2010, 8:14 PM
Where is Hunt?

Stephen is out until October with his foot injury http://soccerrepublic.eircom.net/News/players/huntoutuntiloctober.aspx?p=1

...and, just in case you were asking about Noel he is on the bench for Reading's friendly tonight against Wolves :rolleyes:

third policeman
27/07/2010, 8:43 PM
Lazy, regressive selection. Coleman and McCarthy are manifestly two of our most promising premership players! No Andy Reid, another crass and self-defeating bit of obstinacy from Trapp. Watching France and Italy's calamitous exploits in South Africa makes me wonder whether we are not quite as adequate as we think we are.

Charlie Darwin
27/07/2010, 8:44 PM
Andy Reid is injured...

rebelmusic
27/07/2010, 9:36 PM
Lets be fair here lads. This is going to be along the lines of the Brazil match. The players who played through the last campaign are going to get the game time. It's the first aviva match so there'll be a big hullaballoo. I'd imagine Trap is on orders from the FAI to play the senior players for this one.

I don't understand Treacy over McCarthy or Sheridan over Best but meh.

SkStu
27/07/2010, 9:42 PM
he doesnt half bear a grudge does he? Yet again though i remain uninspired by his squad selection. Say what you like but McCarthy should be in there for any number of good reasons. Coleman has earned a look at training too at this stage, surely. Stephen Ward the same. How dare he require surgery on his knee! ;)

EastTerracer
27/07/2010, 10:25 PM
I wonder if Maradona will get his cocaine through customs?

He doesn't have to worry about that now - his contract has not been renewed as the Argentinian FA would not agree to his terms. U-20 manager Sergio Batista has been appointed caretaker manager. It's a pity as watching Diego kicking the ball around in the warm-up before games in South Africa was entertaining in itself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8854703.stm

irishultra
27/07/2010, 11:43 PM
this team is going to be exposed for what is it in the euro qualifying campaign, old, below average, lacking technique and guile. it will be hard to judge trapatonis performance. i loved him and felt that the first half in the friendly we had against norway was a sign of things to come but no we didn't get that, we get the ball being hoofed upfield every second with the exuse being 'we don't have the players' dont have the players to be able to pass short passes to each other? i really hope im wrong but i don't see us really being in contention for euro 2012. russia have a quality team and slovakia have more about them than us.

jbyrne
27/07/2010, 11:53 PM
moan moan moan moan moan!

in case some of you didnt notice we were a complete shambles just over two years ago. since then trap has brought in some decent players and rebuilt the team. just because they are not big names doesnt mean they are not doing a good job for us.

our performances in qualifying deserved qualification and we were cheated out of it in the end. two teams we faced were the two wc 2006 finalists for gods sake. yes they had poor world cups but so what..... they werent always poor teams and we dominated both at times in the qualification. lads like green and cunningham actually impressed in the friendlies and have earned their place in this squad. all this talk that the FAI are insisting he plays a senior team etc because its the opening game of the aviva...... give us a break please..... what complete nonsense.

and as for the poster having a pop at the inclusion of given!!!!!!!!!

Crosby87
28/07/2010, 12:02 AM
I love so many of the above posts, great points were made...Just trying to tie it all in, Trap does not care about nurturing James McCarthy, he wants to make Euro and that is it. I am not saying this is good or bad, just saying. He is the manager of the senior team, but not for ten years. For now. Right now.

He DEFINITELY IS NOT thinking "Well, Ima gotta picka this kid. He isa notta gonna hellpa me now, but maybe in fiva years."
Some people on here seem to not have a great grasp of that.

A manager with the big picture in mind might have named James but we have one who is well paid and not thinking about that at this point. His big picture is going to Poland/Ukraine.

One thing though, the day is coming where Keane Duff Given and Dunne are all retired.....Lordy. So I am not too quick to complain right now. Some of you seem to forget, things can and will and could be worse.

irishultra
28/07/2010, 12:10 AM
ye got to agree, we have been relatively competitive for a long time now but in the near future the lack of quality coming through is gonna show and stans days mightnt seem so bad after all.

irishfan86
28/07/2010, 12:29 AM
I don't think it's all doom and gloom:

-- Westwood has the potential to be a very very good goalkeeper. He's not at Shay's level, but he will still be a very able replacement when the time comes.
-- Seamus Coleman could probably start for us right now, but it's understandable that Trap is cautious given the fact he's hardly had a run at senior club level (this isn't ignoring his LoI experience, not trying to offend anybody). So I think at right back we actually have a chance to improve when he eventually slots in.
-- I think Shane Duffy is gonna be the real deal at the back.
-- Stephen Ward is probably better than Kilbane at fullback, certainly not a significant downgrade. Greg Cunningham seems to be rated by both Trap and Mancini, so he could be a possible as well.
-- McCarthy has the potential to be one of Ireland's best ever players -- even if he doesn't reach those heights, he will most likely still be our best midfielder since Roy.
-- With Meyler, Wilson, Garvan and Gibson all floating around, I'd imagine at least one of them will give us a very good option.
-- Henderson at Arsenal and Clifford at Chelsea could be very good players for us if they continue to grow and improve.
-- Up front, Stokes has only just turned 22. I really think he will come good for us eventually. Leon Best is only 23, and is already a physical powerhouse. Even if he doesn't become an elite player, he could still be an effective player for us by battering defenses and opening up room for our other attackers.

Add in X factors like the possible return of wonderpants and someone like McGeady elevating his game and I think we're in a better state than a lot of people would think.

There are always late bloomers who come out of the woodwork as well: Kinsella for example was a very effective player for Ireland and only made his debut at 26 I believe, and Whelan and Lawrence are good examples of players making an impact for us in their mid twenties.

tricky_colour
28/07/2010, 2:10 AM
He doesn't have to worry about that now - his contract has not been renewed as the Argentinian FA would not agree to his terms. U-20 manager Sergio Batista has been appointed caretaker manager. It's a pity as watching Diego kicking the ball around in the warm-up before games in South Africa was entertaining in itself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8854703.stm

lol yes I heard that on the news not long after I made that post, I almost feel like I am responsible for him
not turning up! Maybe the Argentinian FA read my comment and got worried.
I was looking forward to seeing him at the game too, it would have been nice to have heard his comments
about the Irish player after the game, maybe he might have said someone reminded him of himself when
he was playing (not that likely though).
Will Messi be playing? I hope so, he will probably tear our defense to shreds though!

tricky_colour
28/07/2010, 2:18 AM
I love so many of the above posts, great points were made...Just trying to tie it all in, Trap does not care about nurturing James McCarthy, he wants to make Euro and that is it. I am not saying this is good or bad, just saying. He is the manager of the senior team, but not for ten years. For now. Right now.

He DEFINITELY IS NOT thinking "Well, Ima gotta picka this kid. He isa notta gonna hellpa me now, but maybe in fiva years."
Some people on here seem to not have a great grasp of that.

A manager with the big picture in mind might have named James but we have one who is well paid and not thinking about that at this point. His big picture is going to Poland/Ukraine.

One thing though, the day is coming where Keane Duff Given and Dunne are all retired.....Lordy. So I am not too quick to complain right now. Some of you seem to forget, things can and will and could be worse.

Hopefully other players will come through and develop. But you are right though they will all be retiring at about the same time, they have one more World Cup at best.

shakermaker1982
28/07/2010, 6:23 AM
If we keep Kilbane and McShane away from the starting 11 and find a decent midfielder to replace Andrews then we'll have a decent chance of finishing 2nd.

jbyrne
28/07/2010, 7:51 AM
ye got to agree, we have been relatively competitive for a long time now but in the near future the lack of quality coming through is gonna show and stans days mightnt seem so bad after all.

new players could easily develop over the next year or two. wont list them all here but we are all familiar with some of the young lads with promise that are on the verge of their club teams.
international football isnt about constantly developing a team, its about here and now and how best we can put together a team that will qualify for a finals now

rebelmusic
28/07/2010, 8:14 AM
If we keep Kilbane and McShane away from the starting 11 and find a decent midfielder to replace Andrews then we'll have a decent chance of finishing 2nd.
Spot on to be honest. The only thing that really ****ed me off about the squad selection is there's noone really to test at left full. I love Kilbane, but he needs to be replaces asap.

Edit - Woops, never noticed Cunningham. Also worth noting that Wigan have preseason matches on the 7th, 8th and 10th so might have something to do with McCarthy's exclusion.

shakermaker1982
28/07/2010, 9:06 AM
Very excited now about the game after seeing the Argies squad. I'd love to see Messi in the flesh again.

rebelmusic
28/07/2010, 9:15 AM
Quote from Trap, seems the role we all hoped Kilbane would have is the fact

"Kilbane is a great man, and a great player. He knows our opinions and our approach and I know he's happy to be still with us. Cunningham has played well also for Man City. Kevin is important and he can be a support maybe for Cunningham. When we have these great senior players they can help the young."

Junior
28/07/2010, 9:25 AM
No Anthony Stokes? Is he injured?

Was disappointed he hasnt featured in the three friendlies of late. Has shown better form than most of the peripheral strikers in the squad in my opinion.

elroy
28/07/2010, 9:33 AM
No one is saying we have a great team but our best XI in particular is not bad. We have some quality players in Given, Dunne, St Ledger, Duff, Lawrence, Keane, Doyle. I didnt say outstanding players, just good solid honest players.

But as we saw at the WC, there are not many really top teams at international level, if you can put together and organised team with a clear sense of purpose you can do well. And I think under Trap (although many may not like the style), we have that. We punched above our weight in a top group last time out and there is no reason to believe we cant do the same again. We need to get off to a good start again like the last campaign, get good points on the board and confidence etc will follow.