PDA

View Full Version : sunday bloody sunday.

balls
18/04/2004, 8:15 PM
was at fairview game today looks like there goin for 3 fai juniors in a row. Makes me sick that limerick s stop soccer players want to play junior football instead of senior. But best of luck to fairview dont begrudge the club any success.then went to football game limerick beaten by kerry again. Eoin keating seemed to be enjoying the game rallying up the crowd when he scored. Just seems everyone else has a good weekend away from limerick fc the same weekend we get hammered four nil.

4tothefloor
18/04/2004, 9:20 PM
Well you can't blame any of the parties can you? The Fairview players are enjoying a purple period in the clubs history and are out to equal and break records. The fact that they are THE team in a national competition means that they are properly satisfied with their lot, especially now that they are also playing in the FAI Senior cup as well. They also have bigger crowds and a better profile playing with Fairview than Limerick around these parts, which says it all about Limerick FC really.

As for Keating, there's no comparison between the footballers and Limerick FC. Keating was right to join them, and he's having a good season as well. He gets to play in a top stadium in front of thousands, instead of a barren junior ground in front of a handful of supporters. No contest really :(

sadloserkid
19/04/2004, 2:46 PM
Makes me sick that limerick s stop soccer players want to play junior football instead of senior.

Explain. My understanding of the situation is the LDMC Pirates have the rules structured so that anybody who plays senior football can't go back to the junior game for 18 months after finishing with a senior side? Hardly the fault of Limerick FC.

Westside
22/04/2004, 1:28 AM
This rule that the junior clubs in the city have, does this apply only to the clubs in the city league.The league in the county eg. The Desmond League do they have a similar ruling in place.Eoin Keating played last season and has now gone to the gaa.A team member of his in the gaa played for a Desmond league club 2 seasons ago and did extremely well for them.Now like Keating he has pledged his future to gaa but the point I'm making is there at at least 5 players in the Desmond League that are (based on what I have seen of Limerick Fc so far this season) good enough to be part of the squad, 1 or 2 definately good enough to start in the team.One player alone has scored 26 goals from midfield this season.That,even at that level is quality.If there is no ruling in place banning players in that league from,if things don't work out going back to junior soccer why dosen't the management have a look at some of these guys instead of waiting for the players to come knocking on Limerick Fc's door.The games are on Sundays so they have no excuses.I mean if Jauny and Conway can get games................

4tothefloor
22/04/2004, 4:10 PM
Yeah sure Denis Behan, now at Cork city, played with Abbeyfeale United before Cork and John McGrath, now at Doncaster, played with Glantine FC. There are some very good players at clubs like Broadford Utd, Newcastle West, Rathkeale, Foynes & Abbeyfeale, plus one or two good players at some of the smaller clubs, but Limerick FC have never really bothered with the Desmond for some reason, even at underage level. I think Anthony Ryan was the only one signed up in recent years, and there were far better players than him around at the time. Most of the Limerick Senior football team have all played their soccer in the Desmond league as well, e.g. Stokes, Kelly, O'Donnell, Stack, Reidy, Browne, McCarthy etc.. so the talent is definately there.

But we're talking about Limerick FC here. The players are there in the county for a successful club (3 seperate schoolboy leagues, 2 seperate & fairly big junior leagues), but you might as well be talking to the wall.

deise deserter
23/04/2004, 7:52 AM
Fair point. Im not saying it doesnt happen but I cant really recall all that much scouting outside of the city with the exception of the Kerry boys.

It is an avenue that should be pursed as an alternative to the antics of the LDMC.

Westside
24/04/2004, 12:54 AM
I went to the Desmond League youths cup final in Askeaton last Friday between Rathkeale and Abbeyfeale and there was players even at that age that were worth a look.I find it difficult to understand that someone in Mike Kerleys position won't even bother looking at other alternatives.Ok so I know he is probably looking for players with some degree of Eircom League experience, but hey how much experience did O'Learys babies have at Leeds when he let them loose in the Premiership.Do we have to write a letter to the club asking them to get up off there backsides and at least try......show us fans you care as much as we do.