PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeepers: Devine or Mooney No.1?

Gary
29/10/2001, 1:37 PM
We have all at this point voted on the player of the season, but who do people think should be the City numero uno. Is it time Mooney got a look in again or should devine keep the shirt. I personally think that devines performances lately have been somewhat lack lustre. Maybe a few games on the bench might re-awaken him?
Just a thought.

Neil
29/10/2001, 6:11 PM
IMO Devine is a lot more reliable especially under crosses. He has made one or two blunders lately but he has made a lot more brilliant saves too.

Mooney did well today. It's good to have two of the best goalies in the league in our sqaud.

James
29/10/2001, 6:47 PM
I beleive in Mooney.....:)

mouldymurphy
30/10/2001, 1:28 AM
what about O' Shea? he played one match against bohs and got man of the match!!!

Neil
30/10/2001, 7:04 AM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy
what about O' Shea? he played one match against bohs and got man of the match!!!
O'Shea has left, I believe.

joe
30/10/2001, 9:43 AM
He also came on as sub in a couple of away matches.

Sunday's programme mentioned that he has left, but didn't say where he's gone.

citylove
30/10/2001, 10:07 AM
Alan O'shea is now playing with Youghal Utd.

Seanie
30/10/2001, 10:51 AM
Mooney did precious little wrong before Devine's arrival and has been patient enough to stay. He deserves his chance to stake a claim. Devine command his box better, but Mooney has never made anything like the blunders against Rovers and Bray.

pete
30/10/2001, 10:52 AM
Haven't seen a few of the home games recently but Devine seems to be making too many mistakes lately.

- Gifts Rovers a goal at home although Coughlan involved too.
- Probably could have been sent off against Longford.
- Gets away with one penalty & ref makes up by giving dubious one against Bohs.
- Shocking mistalke against Bray, might as well have thrown the ball into the net himself.

Whilst he is handy at crosses Devine is prone to the odd error from those too. Mooney probably deserves his chance.....

Peadar
30/10/2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by pete
Mooney probably deserves his chance.....

Mooney got his chance yesterday against the mighty Queenstown Ramblers and kept a clean sheet!

Is he our true number one?

Neil
30/10/2001, 12:05 PM
I'd suggest that both our goalies are in the 'Top 5 in the League'... but Devine shades it. I hope Mooney stays though, you never know what might happen throughout the season.

niamh
30/10/2001, 2:02 PM
It's a close one but I have to say Devine. He's more consistant than Mooney though not lately bu any stretch of the imagination...

Cityx
30/10/2001, 7:28 PM
Nothing in it between the two. However I would just give it to Devine as he is a better shot stopper, but its very marginal.

James
30/10/2001, 7:47 PM
no way i reckon Mooney is a better shot stopper and better one on one then devine, but devine can kick the ball out straight :D and is prob more reliable under crosses then noel

but i reckon now that mooney deserves a chance

sean1_3
30/10/2001, 8:10 PM
Definitely Mooney. One look at his penalties and one-on-ones record tells you who the better keeper is.

Snatch
31/10/2001, 11:05 AM
Very tough call. Overall Devine has been great this season but Mooney deserves a chance in league games now and again. Both are fantastic shot stoppers, certainly amongst the best in the league.
I thinks its time that Mooney got a couple of first team games.

niamh
31/10/2001, 1:26 PM
The fact that we as supporters are so divided shows that we have two of the best keepers in the league...

citylove
31/10/2001, 1:32 PM
Brilliant remark Niamh, I couldn't agree with you more

pete
31/10/2001, 1:32 PM
Devine would be the no.1 but given his mistakes lately Mooney deserves his chance.

ccfcman
01/11/2001, 11:16 AM
its fair enough to say that all agree that mooney deserves a first team stint.how about he plays in the league cup matches and builds up his match fitness for the league.recently devine has made a few blunders and time filling mooneys patch on the subs bench is in order.why is'nt mooney playing with the under-21s?buckley done that and now he's back in the city team.

Jack_2001
01/11/2001, 11:46 PM
Hi guys,
no disrespect, but I can't even believe we're talking about this. Devine is well better than Mooney!! I'll freely admit that Mooney is a very good goalkeeper, but Devine is streets ahead.

People seem to be forgetting his Man of the Match performances that were practically back to back for like 5 games at the start of the season. Do people honestly feel that Mooney could have made half of the saves that Devine has made for us this season???

On the point that Noel never fecked up for us before, I really don't want to drop Noel in it, but he has, particularly on crosses, against the like of Bohs from a few years ago. I mean come on, isn't it nice to have a goalie that we don't shudder and pray to God whenever he leaves his line for a cross?

I'll admit that Mooney didn't do anything in particular to lose his place, but like Devine came in and then it was between the two of them and there was only one winner. I personally believe that Michael is in the top two keepers in the league, if not first (Williams would probably get my vote still).

Michael has made two horrible mistakes in the past, but all goalies do it, Schmeichel, Barthez as the shed reminded us.... have any of those guys ever been dropped? No, and look what they've achieved...

All I'm saying is please no kneejerk reactions Devine has always done the biz for us, and when goalies feck up they need breathing space, and if we give it to Michael, then I guarantee you he'll continue to turn it on for us this season:)

Regards
M. Devine :) <Jack:)) >

Gunthers Mask
02/11/2001, 12:01 PM
Divine he is better overall than Mooney