Paddy Madden: Bohemians.
Karl Sheppard: Galway United.
Ryan Guy: St Pats.

De Town
23/07/2010, 12:25 PM
No Padraig Amond? :confused:

Dodge
23/07/2010, 12:27 PM
Apparently not. Good spot. Was trying to think of someone really obvious but missed Amond

BTW that team is from the MNS twitter

Duggie
23/07/2010, 12:30 PM
only 3 strikers? guy isnt even one. is that final, as said no amond?

De Town
23/07/2010, 12:31 PM
There's probably other obvious ommissions but he was the one that came to mind first for me. Only the top scorer in the league by 5 or 6 goals. Shepherd hasn't scored in months as well. Happy to see Kirbs got the call.

Dodge
23/07/2010, 12:33 PM
Amond is on the stand by list. Trying to get the rest of them but Patrick McEleheny is another on it

Louth4sam
23/07/2010, 12:37 PM
Absolutely delighted with that. No Dundalk players picked for this.

Dodge
23/07/2010, 12:42 PM
Full Standy by list
Peter cherrie: Dundalk.
Alan Keane: Sligo Rovers.
Patrick McEleheny: Derry City.
Dave Mulcahy: St Pats.
Ciaran Kilduff: UCD.
Padraig Amond: Sligo Rovers.
Fahrudin Kudozovic: Dundalk

osarusan
23/07/2010, 1:00 PM
Have all of these players (and their clubs) been contacted about playing in the game?

If I remember correctly, when the friendly was initially announced, it was the first that any LOI clubs had heard about their players being selected for the game.

Rasputin
23/07/2010, 1:03 PM
How is Cherrie not in the first squad?
And Sheppard being picked ahead of Podge, a bit odd.
Not to mention how Keane got on the stand by list.

Duggie
23/07/2010, 1:04 PM
no neale fenn on either list???????

seand
23/07/2010, 1:13 PM
Seems strange not to spread it around a bit more, but I'm not complaining. Five from Sligo/Galway but none from UCD/Dundalk/Drog/Bray. And no Amond, but Guy up front!!

Can we play our League Cup semi that week now, as originally planned, or would Monaghan v Dundalk on the Monday take too much media attention away from ManYoo reserves?

poster
23/07/2010, 1:30 PM
Great to see Richie, Joey, Amond, Peersy in there, not sure why Keane is there. Would rather if they weren't there though really.

Dodge
23/07/2010, 1:33 PM
How is Cherrie not in the first squad?

I was thinking it was his injury but then he's on the stand by list so maybe thats not right. Apparently rico is talking about Brennan on the left and Guy/Ndo on the right, which suggests he's playing 4-5-1 (as he only has 2 other forward)

Fenn isn't on the list as he's absolutely muck. he can't even geta game for Dundalk at the minute

Squad is decent enough in fairness. Rovers would've had a few in there but Amond is the only strange omission (thats not to say that they'd be the 18 I'd pick but overall its ok)

DeNiro
23/07/2010, 1:52 PM
Is there much point to having Alan Kirby, Joey Ndo and Ryan Guy in the squad? This game should be used to develop young players, like Kilduff, Amond, etc. No Ronan Finn or McAllister in it either. If Doherty at Derry is that good, why isn't he playing Premier? Seems a really bizarre squad.

Dodge
23/07/2010, 1:53 PM
Develop them for what? its a one off friendly.

DeNiro
23/07/2010, 1:54 PM
Experience of playing against better players. Some of them will still be U23 at when the next international challenge trophy is played. The showing against England in the RSC was appalling. God only knows what will happen in Estonia. If Doolin and Richardson put their heads together this game could have had a wider purpose.

Hitman
23/07/2010, 1:59 PM
I can't believe he's left out George O' Callaghan.

Duggie
23/07/2010, 2:02 PM
I can't believe he's left out George O' Callaghan.
hes kit man....../player manager

dong
23/07/2010, 2:03 PM
For a game that almost everybody dismissed there's a lot of reaction to who is and who isn't in the squad!:D

Dodge
23/07/2010, 2:06 PM
Experience of playing against better players. Some of them will still be U23 at when the next international challenge trophy is played. The showing against England in the RSC was appalling. God only knows what will happen in Estonia. If Doolin and Richardson put their heads together this game could have had a wider purpose.

And if we won that trophy every year for 5 years, what greater purpose would be achieved?

Its a nice little acknowledgement for the players. No more

DeNiro
23/07/2010, 2:24 PM
And if we won that trophy every year for 5 years, what greater purpose would be achieved?

Its a nice little acknowledgement for the players. No more

I agree, it's great recognition. Do you not think progression in the challenge trophy would be beneficial to the league? Because being well beaten by a collection of players from the Blue Square League doesn't do much for the league in my opinion. Neither does Bohs being walloped by TNS, but that's another matter. I'm sure there's one or two young players at Bray, UCD or even Fingal that could take more, on an experience level, from the game v Man Utd than Joey Ndo or Ryan Guy.

Charlie Darwin
23/07/2010, 2:32 PM
Looks like a decent squad besides the lack of strikers, but if he's playing a 4-5-1 there's no real need for more. Thought Kudozuvic and Amond would have a good shout of making the main squad, mind.

Dodge
23/07/2010, 2:32 PM
Do you not think progression in the challenge trophy would be beneficial to the league? .

No, I think most LOI fans couldn't tell you the results of the games never mind any one else.

mrtndvn
23/07/2010, 2:37 PM
If Doherty at Derry is that good, why isn't he playing Premier? Seems a really bizarre squad.

Thats a bizarre logic.

Guinney
23/07/2010, 2:37 PM
Fenn isn't on the list as he's absolutely muck. he can't even geta game for Dundalk at the minute

Agree that Fenn shouldn't be on the list, but he has nearly played every game for us and to say he is muck shows a poor understanding of football. For a striker yes he dosen't score much, but he has a great touch, a good footballing brain & links up play well.

Have to say I thought both Amond & FAZ would be included. If this game was on two months ago, both Cherrie & Liam Burns would be included. Cherries back now but is lacking match shapeness at the moment. But quietly glad no Dundalk players are included in first squad, even though I'm sure 1 or 2 are disapointed.

redobit
23/07/2010, 2:47 PM
Suprised Connelly lad didnt at least make the stand by list

Dodge
23/07/2010, 3:02 PM
Agree that Fenn shouldn't be on the list, but he has nearly played every game for us and to say he is muck shows a poor understanding of football. For a striker yes he dosen't score much, but he has a great touch, a good footballing brain & links up play well

4/5 years ago Fenn woul;d've been automatic, but now, he's a shadow of his former self and altthough the touch is still there, he's got nothing else going for him

Dillonman
23/07/2010, 4:50 PM
Absolutely delighted with that. No Dundalk players picked for this.

Apparently Foster told Rico not to pick any of our lot cause we have a game the night before or somethign liek that!

Cuyahoga
23/07/2010, 4:58 PM
I thought Shane o'neill of Bray Wanderers would of been picked.He is a striker in good form at the moment!

Schumi
23/07/2010, 6:53 PM
Bit odd that the two top scorers in the league are only on stand-by. It would have been nice for a couple of our players to get in but at least I won't be tempted to watch this nonsense now.

Dodge
23/07/2010, 7:55 PM
Apparently Foster told Rico not to pick any of our lot cause we have a game the night before or somethign liek that!

There's a couple on standby, so I doubt thats true

sligo23
23/07/2010, 7:58 PM
The lack of Ronan Finn and Amond made me laugh.

Ezeikial
23/07/2010, 8:41 PM
There's a couple on standby, so I doubt thats true

You doubt that Foster asked Rico not to select any of his players after having 9 games in 31 days of July?

If I sqeeze my head really hard while popping some uppers I can visualise Foster begging Rico to give some much needed game time to his underworked players.

I hope neither Cherrie nor Faz get "elevated" to this dubious piece of nonsense, so I can completely ignore the farce ( I might even go into an induced coma for that 24 hours to protect myself from all the fawning and bull$hit)

Dodge
23/07/2010, 9:20 PM
I doubt that's the reason Dundalk players weren't selected. I think Cherrie is the best keeper in the league but shouldn't be picked as clearly injured

Besides Rico told the press conference no club managers stopped him picking their players

Ezeikial
23/07/2010, 9:54 PM
I doubt that's the reason Dundalk players weren't selected. I think Cherrie is the best keeper in the league but shouldn't be picked as clearly injured

Besides Rico told the press conference no club managers stopped him picking their players

You doubt, you doubt, you doubt an awful lot.

I really don't care why no Dundalk players were picked in the main squad, I am just glad that it is the case

WoodquayBoy
23/07/2010, 10:40 PM
Stunned Amond is not in the squad. Delighted O'Donnell is there, but to be perfectly honest, I have no idea why Sheppard - no goals in 11 league games - is there and Amond isn't. Redobit, if it is Seamus Conneely you are referring to, no surprise he is not there, he is having a stinker of a season. Why the likes of Cherrie, Kilduff, Bolger and Finn, not to mention Amond, are not there beats seven shades out of me

De Town
23/07/2010, 11:17 PM
Amond's facebook status tonight:

"one way to answer people"

Nice little dig at Rico there. Keep banging them in Podge!

Nah Nah Nah Nah
24/07/2010, 2:09 AM
Good man Rico. Sure why would bother picking the best finisher in the league? Just in case he might score against the might of Man Utd? Do they charge by goals conceded?

Flexy
24/07/2010, 8:45 AM
I think if James McLean had have been fit he would have been in the squad, been great for Derry all year and works so hard for the team. I actually think hes a better player than Killian Brennan.

PartySaint
24/07/2010, 4:34 PM
If I was a Sligo fan i would be delighted that our best striker is not playing in a meanigless friendly, I will have fingers crossed will be touching wood and praying that Conor Kenna doenst get injured in the game

harry crumb
24/07/2010, 4:38 PM
If I was a Sligo fan i would be delighted that our best striker is not playing in a meanigless friendly, I will have fingers crossed will be touching wood and praying that Conor Kenna doenst get injured in the game

I doubt he will make the team tbh.

PartySaint
24/07/2010, 4:39 PM
I doubt he will make the team tbh.

Oh he will, Best defender in the league