PDA

View Full Version : Brazil 2014-Line Up

irishultra
22/07/2010, 3:01 PM
if we qualify for world cup in 2014 what do people think the starting 11/squad will look like?

shay given-38
o'shea-33
st.ledger-28
dunne-34

andrews-34
whelan-30
duff-35
mcgeady-28

keane-34
doyle-29

so obvers that team(our current 1) is far too old. mcgeady would arguably be in his prime and doyle could develop into a real quality striker in the next 4 years.
duff probably won't be around, and who knows about keane altho at 34 he would probably be worth a place in the squad for experience.
given if he continues to play(but you never know) should be still around. dunne will be too old but again could be a squad player. likewise o'shea.

so in the next 4 years we need some legit players to emerge. a replacement for keane is a must. no player currently around can take over his mantle in fact the only player worth of a squad place in 2014 should be anthony stokes.

as for young players your looking at robert brady, conor clifford but for a country like ireland if these players were the real deal they would be pushing into the senior squad at this stage.

Supreme feet
22/07/2010, 10:30 PM
A few months ago, while helping the folks clean out my old room, I went through some old notebooks from around 2002. One page was quite interesting;

'Ireland for Germany 2006;

Given, Carr, Dunne, O'Shea, Harte, Partridge, McPhail, Healy, Duff, Keane, Sadlier.'

It really is impossible to say what the team is going to look like in four years. A lot can change in one season, let alone four. It's far too early to write off the likes of Brady, Clfford, etc, as big EPL clubs are generally loathe to give youth players a chance, unless they've been brought in at considerable expense (i.e. Obertan, Kakuta). O'Shea didn't make any breakthrough at Man Utd until he was 20-21, not getting a regular place in the Ireland squad until he was 22. I wouldn't cast aspertions on those aforementioned players for not making the grade yet, I hope both will - but I acknowledge they could go the same way as, for example, Paul Tierney or James Simmonds.

Given that players generally reach their prime at about 28, I would take into account the players who are 23-25 now. Andy Keogh, Stephen O'Halloran, Owen Garvan, Richard Keogh, Shane Long, Eddie Nolan, Kevin Foley, Darren O'Dea, Stephen Ward and Stephen Quinn all have their best days ahead of them, and can't be wholly written off; they all seem to have been forgotten about, but it only takes one outstanding season, coupled with a good move or a promotion, to throw such players into the frame. Irish sides have never been filled with 'wonderkids' who rose to stardom. The only players who fit that bill are Duff, Keane, Dunne and Given - and even Dunne and Duff had dodgy moments along the way, dropping divisions with City and Blackburn. Most of the players who do a good job for us - i.e. Cunningham, Breen, Holland, Kinsella, Finnan, Whelan, etc, - are players who made their name at a lower level before getting into the frame for international recognition, while players who were pegged for stardom - Partridge, Gavin, McPhail, Barrett, Thornton, etc, faded away spectacularly.

However, we do have a few decent players in the younger age group. Wilson, Coleman, Cunningham, Meyler (injury permitting), Duffy, McCarthy, Gibson... So there are a lot of possibilities. We actually look good for central midfield, but we need a centre back to establish himself alongside St Ledger, a winger or two, and a good striker to replace Keane.

Goalkeeper: Given. Unless a younger man (Brian Murphy, Westwood) stakes a really compelling claim in the meantime.

Right back: Take your pick. Coleman, Foley, Kelly, hopefully Joey O'Bren.

Left back: Ward, O'Halloran, Cunningham should all be in the frame.

Centre back: A partnership of Dunne and O'Shea (presuming both are still playing internationals) would possibly be too old and slow at that stage. St. Ledger will start with one, Shane Duffy may be in contention too; if O'Dea or Richard Keogh could make a step up, they may be in the reckoning. Nolan can play all across the back four, and has looked solid for the 21s - but really needs to get his club career going.

Centre midfield: Andrews won't be around. Whelan probably will, but a midfield partnership of Whelan and Gibson really doesn't fill me with confidence - they need a stronger player beside them, as the chemistry between them has looked terrible thus far. I'll be expecting McCarthy, Wilson, Meyler and Clifford to come through. The midfield will be two of those six, although I'm still holding my breath on Owen Garvan. (my faith, having already put paid to Healy, McPhail, Steven Reid and Barry Quinn, may well be the kiss of death for him, though)

Wide players: I expect one of the central midfielders to be shunted out there, possibly McCarthy. McGeady will probably be around, just hoping that he improves. Alan Judge and Aaron Doran could be options, along with Robbie Brady, all going well. From left-field, maybe Flood or Treacy. Fahey could be around as an option in any midfield position.

Up front: Doyle will be 32 (not 29, as in the OP), but will have his place nailed on. There will be no-one of Keane's standard beside him - he will be past it at that stage, unfortunately, but still worth a place in the squad. If I was a betting man, I'd predict an advanced, goalscoring midfielder playing behind Doyle. Gibson could be made for this role. There is an opportunity there for Keogh, Best, Long, and Scannell (remember him?), but only time will tell.

The Fly
22/07/2010, 11:30 PM
as for young players your looking at robert brady, conor clifford but for a country like ireland if these players were the real deal they would be pushing into the senior squad at this stage.

That's being very premature. The players you mention have yet to get first team football at their clubs, let alone their national side. Given that the clubs in question are Manchester United and Chelsea, their task is considerably more difficult.

Charlie Darwin
22/07/2010, 11:38 PM
Up front: Doyle will be 32 (not 29, as in the OP)
You're both wrong: he'll be 30.

ped_ped
23/07/2010, 12:04 AM
Four years will change everything, so nobody can predict a full side. I would imagine Given will still be around.

Ditto St. Ledger and (hopefully) Kilbane's replacement should be unveiled alot sonner than any of the other positions.

McGeady should still be there, and Meyler / McCarthy should have squad positions at the very least.

Doyle could become a real class act, but Keane won't be as potent as he is now.

Plenty Irish players waiting to be discovered at this moment, and others that we know about that just haven't fulfilled their potential. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sullivinho
23/07/2010, 1:51 AM
There'l be a few players in the squad/team in four years that most of us haven't even heard of right now. The temptation is to make a list of current prospects and think this future incarnation of the team will be limited to them as regards new blood but 4 years is a long time in football. I can't say I was overly aware of James McCarthy or even Glenn Whelan four years ago.

It's reasonable to suggest Given, O'Shea, Dunne, St. Ledger, Whelan, McGeady, Doyle and Keane might all be there in some capacity. At this point in time McCarthy, Coleman and Meyler would be the players I have the highest hopes for so I'd include them too. Clifford and Duffy have masses of potential.

A few months ago, while helping the folks clean out my old room, I went through some old notebooks from around 2002. One page was quite interesting;

'Ireland for Germany 2006;

Given, Carr, Dunne, O'Shea, Harte, Partridge, McPhail, Healy, Duff, Keane, Sadlier.'

I shudder to imagine (for various reasons) who the equivalents of these guys are in the current 'future squad'. Although I can't help noticing Garvan has a certain McPhail-ness about him. I really rated Sadlier before the injuries ruined him, looked really promising at Milwall (I think it was).

SkStu
24/07/2010, 4:59 PM
thing about Keane is he never had to rely exclusively on his pace (more his smarts and technique) so, despite his aging, his assets should see him continue to get into decent goal scoring areas and maintain his decent goal to game ratio as opposed to a total and inevitable decline.

Charlie Darwin
24/07/2010, 5:48 PM
On Expose this week (don't ask), they were hinting that Robbie's wife is searching for a house in Dublin as Robbie is considering hanging up his boots after the next Euro campaign. Obviously a very reliable source of news, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

backstothewall
27/07/2010, 6:48 PM
On Expose this week (don't ask), they were hinting that Robbie's wife is searching for a house in Dublin as Robbie is considering hanging up his boots after the next Euro campaign. Obviously a very reliable source of news, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

So the big question is who will be his strike partner at Sham Rovers?

Given
Coleman Duffy O'Dea Kilbane
Ireland Whelan McCarthy Hunt
Doyle Stokes

irishfan86
28/07/2010, 1:02 AM
lol@kilbane still playing

Colbert Report
28/07/2010, 1:15 AM
I'd love to see Robbie Keane coming to the LOI for a season at the end of his career. Sadly I think he'll wind up in the MLS five years from now scoring goals against pub team defenses.