PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam for Leaving Cert holiday?

Riddickcule
22/07/2010, 2:09 PM
Right so next year we'll be going on our LC holiday, and most of our group ( 8-9 people) want to go to amsterdam. Half of us will be under 18. We won't have much money.:(

So my question is, is Amsterdam a good spot for a LC holiday? Will those of us who are under 18 have many problems here? Main concern is getting into nightclubs, not really worried about the coffeeshops as we can just get the over 18 to get it for us.

DUFC4life
22/07/2010, 4:22 PM
Probably the stupidest place to go on a leaving cert holiday.
A) itll be pricey as hell
B) If half of you are u-18 you have no hope of getting in anywhere and are just risking getting in trouble.

Far better off going somewhere cheaper like santa ponsa. Leave the crazy amsterdam experience till your older/richer.

PartySaint
22/07/2010, 4:54 PM
Ayia Napa, Went for there for my LC holiday, Unbelievable 2 weeks, the bits i remember anyway

Riddickcule
22/07/2010, 5:17 PM
We could always get fake i.ds

Docboy
22/07/2010, 5:23 PM
Not the place for that sort of partying mate, I'd recommend a sun holiday for that type of thing...

Riddickcule
22/07/2010, 6:09 PM
Most of our year will probably be going to Santa Ponsa or somewhere like that, we don't want to just follow the rest of the crowd though, a lot of them are eejits.

De Town
22/07/2010, 7:01 PM
Napa or Ios would do so.

SkStu
22/07/2010, 8:28 PM
Right so next year we'll be going on our LC holiday, and most of our group ( 8-9 people) want to go to amsterdam. Half of us will be under 18. We won't have much money.:(

So my question is, is Amsterdam a good spot for a LC holiday? Will those of us who are under 18 have many problems here? Main concern is getting into nightclubs, not really worried about the coffeeshops as we can just get the over 18 to get it for us.

agree you'd be better off in the sunny club 18-30 type places. Gee galore and cheap booze for most of ye.

But Amsterdam would help you forget everything you've just learnt so... depends what youre looking for. Gee or gee-eyed. ;)

dahamsta
22/07/2010, 9:24 PM
What in feck's name is a leaving cert holiday?

SkStu
22/07/2010, 10:04 PM
one of those new fangled things that kids do nowadays, old man hamsta.

I went to Skibbereen and then Galway myself...

John83
22/07/2010, 10:32 PM
What in feck's name is a leaving cert holiday?
Finish Leaving Cert, celebrate mediocrity with alcohol poisoning and vain hopes of an opportunity of catching a VD in some country where you can cook meat by leaving it on your car.

dahamsta
22/07/2010, 11:04 PM
Jesus, in my day we just went to town and got twisted, and I'll wager the vast majority had the night spoiled by at least one knuckle-dragging bouncer.

I guess if they're paying for it themselves then that's fair enough, but if my youngfella comes to me for money for a "leaving cert holiday" he'll find himself flying abroad powered by my boot!

Kingdom
23/07/2010, 10:33 AM
Jesus, in my day we just went to town and got twisted, and I'll wager the vast majority had the night spoiled by at least one knuckle-dragging bouncer.

I guess if they're paying for it themselves then that's fair enough, but if my youngfella comes to me for money for a "leaving cert holiday" he'll find himself flying abroad powered by my boot!

You've kids????

Riddickcule
23/07/2010, 11:45 AM

Ah but its tradition dahamsta, you've gotta let them go! :)

Just to let everyone know we're probably not going to amsterdam, we're seriously considering Zakynthos, Greece. Thoughts?

Wolfie
23/07/2010, 12:53 PM
A f*cking Leaving Cert HOLIDAY!!!!!!

I remember we all bailed onto the 19A and headed for the few boozers that would let us in!!! - it was 1993, not 1893 either.

Lev Yashin
23/07/2010, 1:28 PM
We went to a forest and drank ourselves blind....and that was 1999

Holiday me ar*e!!!

dahamsta
23/07/2010, 2:20 PM
You've kids????

Yes, I actually had sex. With a woman. At least twice that I can prove. (And not via court documents either.)

Ah but its tradition dahamsta, you've gotta let them go! :)

I am not sure that word means what you think it means.

osarusan
23/07/2010, 2:34 PM
You've kids????

You bet he does.

http://www.innocentenglish.com/cute-pictures/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/baby-hamsters.jpg

dahamsta
23/07/2010, 2:37 PM
Lolz!

John83
23/07/2010, 4:24 PM
Yes, I actually had sex. With a woman. At least twice that I can prove. (And not via court documents either.)
I hadn't realised that paternity (http://www.menshealth.com/men/best-life/family-guy/fathers-and-kids-parenting-fraud/article/8a37302052421110VgnVCM10000013281eac) tests (http://www.dnasolutions.ie/ireland-counties/cork-paternity-test.html) were so cheap now. ;)

dahamsta
24/07/2010, 6:26 PM
I hadn't realised that paternity (http://www.menshealth.com/men/best-life/family-guy/fathers-and-kids-parenting-fraud/article/8a37302052421110VgnVCM10000013281eac) tests (http://www.dnasolutions.ie/ireland-counties/cork-paternity-test.html) were so cheap now. ;)

€925 in 2003, actually. I'm a natural sceptic. ;)

John83
26/07/2010, 4:54 PM
The Thanks is at least 50% for the new avatar.

dahamsta
26/07/2010, 5:00 PM
I wanted to do the handle too, but the last time I did it everyone got confusted.

awec
26/07/2010, 7:03 PM

Your main concern is nightclubs? Aye, dead on!

Your main concern is that you might not get any further than a bit of window shopping! ;)

What the feck is a leaving cert by the way?

ifk101
26/07/2010, 8:58 PM

Is é Scrúdú Gaelach na hArdteistiméireachta scrúdú ceann cúrsa an iar-bhunoideachais. Cuirtear ar siúl é ag deireadh na Sraithe Sínsearaigh sna scoileanna iar-bhunoideachais.

Sam_Heggy
28/07/2010, 1:23 PM
Amsterdam for 17/18 years olds? Not advised.

Spent a week there, we spent half an hour in a nightclub at 7 in the morning on our second last day.

Would advise a weekend (a week of Amsterdam is a bit much) and give yoursleves a few years life experience before heading out, I know guys in their thirites that have been seriously ripped off out there.

pineapple stu
28/07/2010, 2:02 PM
Retro?

Bring back Ken Shabby!

Ash
28/07/2010, 2:49 PM
Feckin hell ... my "Leaving Cert Holiday" was heading into Biddy Mulligans cos Big Generator were playing (1995)

Aberdonian Stu
28/07/2010, 2:53 PM
I did two weeks in the Costa del Sol, in hindsight I'd have rather had the money to get more hammered in college.

pineapple stu
28/07/2010, 3:01 PM
Jayz. Myself and a few mates went drinking in one of the lads' attics. Seems to have all gone wrong between myself and Aberdonian Stu doing the Leaving!

John83
28/07/2010, 3:02 PM
Jayz. Myself and a few mates went drinking in one of the lads' attics. Seems to have all gone wrong between myself and Aberdonian Stu doing the Leaving!
You're what, two years older than him?

pineapple stu
28/07/2010, 3:05 PM
Yep. Fairly accurate timescale, I do think.

Extrapolating my faultless logic, you probably went on a Carribbean cruise, sipping that vodka with gold flakes in it, probably while trying to experience everything mentioned in that Peter Sarstedt song.

dahamsta
28/07/2010, 3:27 PM
Bring back Ken Shabby!

I didn't think Ken made it as far as Foot.ie. He was my "being naughty on Boards.ie" alter-ego. ;)

John83
28/07/2010, 3:32 PM
Yep. Fairly accurate timescale, I do think.

Extrapolating my faultless logic, you probably went on a Carribbean cruise, sipping that vodka with gold flakes in it, probably while trying to experience everything mentioned in that Peter Sarstedt song.
I can't remember what I did, but it wasn't much; I was pretty introverted at 17. Come to think of it, it wasn't long afterwards that we met while we were both working ****ty summer jobs in Dunnes.

pineapple stu
28/07/2010, 3:54 PM
I didn't think Ken made it as far as Foot.ie. He was my "being naughty on Boards.ie" alter-ego. ;)
Nah, he were you on foot alright. Here's a random thread (http://foot.ie/threads/32341-From-dahamsta-to-Ken-Shabby) bemoaning his demise. Slightly wonky timeline though, I think.

dahamsta
29/07/2010, 12:36 PM
God, I hate it when old threads like that come up, there's always something cringeworthy in them... :)

pineapple stu
29/07/2010, 12:54 PM
I know. I have since read more Terry Pratchett, and have since come across Vetinari in them... :o

Riddickcule
02/08/2010, 10:13 AM
Zakynthos!

That's where we've decided to go, can't wait! :)

Dunny
02/08/2010, 1:57 PM

It's a pain in the arse.

Lionel Ritchie
03/08/2010, 1:50 PM
Zakynthos!

That's where we've decided to go, can't wait! :)

Leaving Cert holiday? wtf?

Zakynthos (also known as Zante) should be alright for ye. Though do a bit of research on what town yeer staying in. Some are more targeted toward the 18-30 than others ...well they all are to some extent though some like to pretend they're family friendly as well.

Some serious advice now -it's apparently roaring up the pop charts in it's bid for the proud title of Absolutely no.1 Sexually Transmitted Infection hotspot of the Mediteranean. Play as hard as you like but play safe ffs ...and run a clean ship.

Less seriously (though still seriously) you absolutely CANNOT FLUSH TOILET PAPER. It and whatever you've put upon it goes in a waste bin next to the toilet. I bullsh1t you not! How many lads are you rooming with again? Better pick up a few cans of Glade while yeer picking up them slabs of wifebeater.

smellyfeet
04/08/2010, 1:27 PM
Napa or Ios would do so.

Hia De Town,

I went here 8 years ago. it was best hols ive been on.

Thing is tho, it has No airport and that 6 hour boat trip nearly killed me as i can't stand the boat.

Riddickcule,

Ive been to THE DAM and it's great but not for a load of young fella's. Very rough in places.