PDA

View Full Version : UPC Harassing Customers.

eamo1
20/07/2010, 12:33 PM
Ive been getting loads of calls at all hours from a 021 number the last few weeks.Any time i answer it they hang up.Having not known what it was i Googled the number.It turns out 1,000's of people have been getting missed calls from the same number over the last few months.The number is 021-2338600.Its from UPC's (broken) Autodial Spam Service.Anyway,if any of ye or people ye know are getting calls from the number ring 0818-272827 and demand to be taken off their Spam List.Apparently they now listen to customers complaints and will remove you after ComReg came down hard on them.Just passing on the info.

Dunny
20/07/2010, 12:43 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091128195237/simpsons/images/1/1a/AutoDialer_AT5000.jpg

eamo1
20/07/2010, 12:52 PM
ha,i was just thinking of that Simpsons episode when i read who the number was from.

Mr A
20/07/2010, 1:22 PM
The irony is that when UPC rang me last year I had already decided to go with one of their bundles. So I asked the girl what sort of modem was provided (specifically whether it would have wireless) and she asked me what a modem was. If you're going to spend a lot of time trying to sell people stuff, it might be an idea to have a basic understanding of the product!

tricky_colour
20/07/2010, 4:39 PM
Ive been getting loads of calls at all hours from a 021 number the last few weeks.Any time i answer it they hang up.Having not known what it was i Googled the number.It turns out 1,000's of people have been getting missed calls from the same number over the last few months.The number is 021-2338600.Its from UPC's (broken) Autodial Spam Service.Anyway,if any of ye or people ye know are getting calls from the number ring 0818-272827 and demand to be taken off their Spam List.Apparently they now listen to customers complaints and will remove you after ComReg came down hard on them.Just passing on the info.

I believe these systems dial more numbers than their operators can ever hope to deal with, this ensures there operators are working all the time, so the operators will always have a call to deal with however some of the people the systems call will not have anyone to speak to, hence they just hang up.

I am in the UK by the way, and I have registered with OFCOM which is the equivalent of COMREG I believe.
I still get some sales and marketing call now, but not as much as I used to, that's probably more to do with the
recession as much as anything else.
If I do get an unwanted call I try and keep them on the line as long as possible, making sure the calling company
has a high price to pay for spam calling me. It's usually a machine now though, but I guess if you keep them
busy it stops it calling someone else lol.

EAFC_rdfl
21/07/2010, 8:19 AM
The irony is that when UPC rang me last year I had already decided to go with one of their bundles. So I asked the girl what sort of modem was provided (specifically whether it would have wireless) and she asked me what a modem was. If you're going to spend a lot of time trying to sell people stuff, it might be an idea to have a basic understanding of the product!
you need george hook on the case